Menu

Meghan, Duchess Of Sussex attended her first official engagement with Queen Elizabeth II who opened the new Mersey Gateway Bridge earlier today (June 14) in Widness, England.

The newlywed wore a Givenchy Haute Couture look inspired by the Spring 2018 look we’ve seen on Rooney Mara.

Her beige wool dress featuring the iconic short cape which she styled with a Givenchy clutch reassures me that she fully back on track.

I understand that with so many royal protocols that she might be limited in some respects (I don’t expect her to be reaching for her favoured cross-body bags any time soon), yet I’m hoping to see more stylish Givenchy and less aging Goat dresses.

My only gripe with this look was that she should’ve worn her hair in a bun.

With the wind wreaking havoc on her blow out, she had to keep readjusting her tresses which would’ve been tiresome with the restriction of the cape.

I can’t close this post without mentioning the Queen who was looking as vibrant as ever in a lime green ensemble by Stewart Parvin and hat by Rachel Trevor Morgan.

It’s my strong belief that she will outlast us all.

Givenchy Leather Crossbody Bag

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

Zoey Deutch In Victoria, Victoria Beckham & Delpozo - SiriusXM & 'The Year of Spectacular Men' New York Screening

Zoey Deutch In Victoria, Victoria Beckham & Delpozo – SiriusXM & ‘The Year of Spectacular Men’ New York Screening

Most Wanted: The Modern Shirt Dress

Most Wanted: The Modern Shirt Dress

33 Responses to Meghan, Duchess Of Sussex In Givenchy Haute Couture – Mersey Gateway Bridge Opening

1. Mimi June 15, 2018 at 15:38 #

Givenchy posted a pic of Meghan and the Queen standing up on their social media. I’m pretty sure they photoshopped out the wrinkles. A pretty disappointing move on their part.

2. Leandra June 15, 2018 at 11:23 #

Apparently, next will be the scratches on the sole of the shoes…

3. Camilla June 15, 2018 at 07:52 #

Long live the queen! She is the best and brightest ❤

• Catherine Kallon June 15, 2018 at 09:15 #

She’s marvelous

Always puts a smile on my face

4. Louise June 15, 2018 at 07:26 #

Clothes aside, I have rarely seen the Queen looking so happy and amused – these two seem to have really hit it off!

• Catherine Kallon June 15, 2018 at 09:15 #

I thought the same. Usually it’s just a polite smile from the Queen, but she was positively beaming in Meghan’s company

5. Phee June 15, 2018 at 06:48 #

Now this I find very aging. Not flattering to the body shape either. She suddenly aged like 10+ years. Ick. I like nothing about this.

6. Elena June 15, 2018 at 06:25 #

This is the problem with the British Royals… it is too strict, too traditional!
    Every outfit (or almost) that Kate wear looks old not modern. I was hoping that with Meghan it would be different but no! The first 3 dresses that she wore since she is married are so disappointing! No more fun, no more color!

I just saw some pictures of Victoria of Sweden in a red dress…. whoua what a beauty!

I hope the British Royal members could be as free as the Sweedish

7. Kathy June 15, 2018 at 05:14 #

I don’t think the belt does anything for the dress. It just disrupts the clean line and beautiful fabric.

• Mimi June 15, 2018 at 13:18 #

8. CreoleLady June 15, 2018 at 02:50 #

Unfortunate that apparently only the Queen gets to wear fun, vibrant colors.

• Catherine Kallon June 15, 2018 at 09:16 #

I think it’s a case of the others being too scared to follow suit

• CreoleLady June 15, 2018 at 09:45 #

I wonder. I thought I had read somewhere that the Queen wants to be readily seen in crowds. Thus, anyone in her company would need to tone down color so as not to be focus-pulling. I could be completely wrong about this though.

9. Mimi June 15, 2018 at 02:25 #

100% agree the hair needed to be up to showcase the cape. Also, the belt was so unneeded!!! Those wrinkles are crazy and overall I think Meghan needs to stay away from Givenchy.

• brat June 15, 2018 at 23:59 #

after the wedding, I don’t want Clare Keller anywhere near her.

10. Anna P June 14, 2018 at 23:36 #

Absolutely stunning dress. So stylish and so “Meghan”. Crisp, chic, and beautiful. I am always wowed when I see her. I loved her accessories too, especially the earrings which are rumoured to be a gift from the Queen.

I can’t wait to see her next outing – she always surprises. Maybe at Ascot?

• BB June 15, 2018 at 10:08 #

I loved this too. Business formal with a touch of edge.
      I just can’t wait for her to wear her hair in its natural state.

11. pinksugar June 14, 2018 at 22:36 #

I like this, it’s classy without being too stuffy. I do wish she would get out of the neutrals and experiment with color a little. Even Kate gives us a splash of pink or red on occasion. I actually like her hair down as the updos can feel a little aging.

• Catherine Kallon June 15, 2018 at 09:17 #

Yes, I hope for the same too. Some colour is needed.

12. JHH June 14, 2018 at 22:20 #

I find the color of the dress and the sleeves to be very mushroomy as mentioned below. I wish the Duchess had worn the dress in a different color. Speaking of color, can we say hail to the Queen. Is there some rule that she is the only one in the royal family who is allowed to wear bright colors? One of my favorite pictures is the seventh small picture — they look like they are enjoying themselves and ultimately, that is what counts not my gripe about a mushroom dress.

13. TeaAtTwo June 14, 2018 at 21:22 #

Chic but is there a formal restriction on her wearing a colour other than black/navy/nude? She should take a cue from the Queen and wear a bright hue.

14. olga June 14, 2018 at 21:17 #

She looks beautiful and elegant, but I think her team should have taken care of those creases.
    While Kate’s style can be boring and repetitive, I always find her impeccable: crisp clothes and tidy, glossy hair. That’s not the case with Meghan unfortunately, she always has something missing.

• brat June 14, 2018 at 21:27 #

Yup, Kate can be too safe, too boring and too traditional but she is always impeccable. I’ve never seen her in a wrinkled garment, or one that doesn’t fit perfectly. Those wrinkles are pretty bad.

• AnnieOh June 14, 2018 at 22:52 #

• Jas June 15, 2018 at 02:32 #

• Lexa June 15, 2018 at 08:14 #

+4 – the whole outfit is ruined by those awful creases … Love the Queen’s ensemble 🙂

15. brat June 14, 2018 at 21:17 #

I would like the dress on someone else maybe, as it is classic. I’m not sure if these sheath dresses with belts are right for her figure, as she has a very boxy torso, despite how tiny she is.
    Kate is slim as well, but far more shapely. Most of her clothes enhance her tiny waist, which remains impressively small after 3 kids.
    This dress, like the black halo sheath, seem to only call attention to Meghan’s thick waistline. I think dresses with an empire waistline might be more figure flattering.

Overall, it’s an appropriate, tasteful look, but the wrinkles are distracting. I don’t hate it but I don’t love it either. It seems the Duchess will be hit or miss. It’s past time for her stylist/bff Jessica Mulrooney to go, I’ve been less than impressed with her fashion guidance. Meghan’s reception dress, the navy Roland Mouret before the wedding and the Carolina Herrera at the trooping of the colours have been her best recent outings.

• Lee June 15, 2018 at 13:33 #

Lol they look like BFF’s!

…I agree, these dresses aren’t flattering for her shape.

• brat June 15, 2018 at 17:32 #

It’s adorable how they are beaming together. The Royals have definitely embraced her with open arms.

16. Olga June 14, 2018 at 21:12 #

While Kate’s style can be boring and repetitive, I always find her impeccable: crisp clothes and tidy, glossy hair. That’s not the case with Meghan unfortunately.

17. Original meme June 14, 2018 at 21:11 #

MM and The Queen look like they are having so much fun. Fabric wrinkles when you sit for long periods of time…big deal. I think they both look smashin.

18. Jess June 14, 2018 at 20:53 #

I like this. It’s not fashion forward or anything, but we always knew this was going to happen.
    My only issue with this is the same I had with her wedding dress: the wrinkles/creases. She needs another kind of fabric to avoid this, because it doesn’t look polished .
    But besides that, I quite like it

19. Lee Ann June 14, 2018 at 20:34 #

I want to like this but I just don’t . I love the long blue gown that this was based on but I think it looks like she is wearing a mushroom . The cape is too long in this material and colour so the effect is heavy . Her accessories are also dull . She is morphing into Kate