Menu

22.05.18

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex joined Prince Harry at Buckingham Palace for couple’s first official public appearance since their wedding this afternoon (May 22).

The new Duke and Duchess of Sussex were attending a garden party to celebrate Prince Charles’s 70th birthday.

Looking every bit a duchess, the newlywed broke her all navy run by wearing an rose-pink Goat tailored dress.

As much as it pains me to say it, I found the silk-chiffon yoke and sleeves a bit matronly.

Considering this was a party for a 70 year old at the palace, I’m gonna let it slide even though my heart sank into my shoes.

What I do love is everything from the neck up, especially the Philip Treacy hat.

Tamara Mellon ‘Siren’ pumps, a Wilbur & Gussie clutch completed her look.

Credit: Getty

Gillian Jacobs In Brock Collection - Netflix's 'Ibiza' New York Premiere

Gillian Jacobs In Brock Collection – Netflix’s ‘Ibiza’ New York Premiere

'Ocean's 8' Worldwide Photocall

‘Ocean’s 8’ Worldwide Photocall

50 Responses to Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Goat – The Prince Of Wales’ 70th Birthday Patronage

1. Sanya May 24, 2018 at 17:53 #

For me this is a WDOTY contender. There is nothing about this look that I like. I understand that there will be some rules for her dress code now that she is married, but this change is so extreme, and not in a good way.

2. Paula May 24, 2018 at 04:18 #

Love the hat and hair. I was not a huge fan of her style before the wedding, but it did seem like *her* style. Kate always looks comfortable in what she wears and hopefully Meghan will find a happy balance of appropriate and authentic to her, especially since she has a lot more leeway than Kate.

3. Aleksandra May 23, 2018 at 23:59 #

i think she’s playing it safe for now, the whole thing must be still pretty new to her. In my opinion she looks lovely, very appropriate for a garden party.

4. Lee May 23, 2018 at 14:49 #

This is something I envision myself wearing… when I am 65. Love the hat though.

5. Noemi May 23, 2018 at 12:48 #

I think she looks pretty chic. But the color of the tights makes her legs look weird, it’s so unflattering.

6. Kat May 23, 2018 at 09:43 #

I still think she might be pregnant. She’s always been thin, but the loose clothing seem new and a little suspicious. Especially considering Kate’s wedding dress was super fitted …

• charlotte May 23, 2018 at 12:24 #

ITA, and the loose fit on her wedding gown? There were some clear fitting issues that day and for such a major couturier like Givenchy to make an ill-fitting custom piece is highly unlikely. all evidences lead to the “hiding baby bump” speculation.

• Mimi May 24, 2018 at 05:27 #

That makes the fitting issue of the most important dress of her life actually make sense!

7. Valentina May 23, 2018 at 07:49 #

I’d like to know who chose a dress the color of bathwater

8. Alina May 23, 2018 at 06:23 #

The only thing I’d change here are the tights. They are not the right colour.

The dress is not wowing me, but she carries it off gracefully. Plus, the gorgeous hat and that chic hairstyle really elevate it.

9. Ana K May 23, 2018 at 06:02 #

I don’t like the dress, but I’m okay with the fit. A dress doesn’t have to be body-hugging right?

Or do we want the real royals to dress up like Liz Hurley on The Royals? lol

10. pinksugar May 23, 2018 at 04:59 #

This really isn’t good. It ages her tremendously and the stockings! Oy. Meghan was on a roll pre-wedding. Her wedding gown didn’t remotely feel like the (semi) glamorous girl we have closely watched over the last year or so. I hope her royal transformation doesn’t completely strip her of her modern ease with fashion. Kate’s style can get a bit boring, but it’s always felt effortless to who she is. She glided right into her role without it fever feeling forced or programmed. Meghan however is already looking out of place in her Duchess wardrobe. I don’t even see Kate wearing this dress, the sheer sleeves? Nope.

• Mimi May 23, 2018 at 17:03 #

ITA, esp about the part Kate not ever wearing this. I don’t get how people are saying this dress is matronly, it looks more like a deconstructed, unfinished mess of a dress to me

11. Dinae May 23, 2018 at 03:50 #

Gentrification is almost complete.

12. Jas May 23, 2018 at 02:35 #

Ugh this is bad. So many ill-fitting clothes! And those tights need to be set on fire.
    Despite the other comments, I actually like Kate’s style and she stays true to it – always appropriate, never trying to be over-stylish or fashion-forward. She dresses like a queen.

13. Lea May 23, 2018 at 00:38 #

Goat confirmed her dress was custom made so I’m not sure how the fit could be that bad unless she lost a lot of weight since they made it. I find this color very boring, the dress is available in dusty pink on their website and I find it so much better in dusty pink, I wish she had chosen this version instead of a custom made one.
    I’m not against the pantyhose but she needs to wear the right color.

I absolutely love the hair/hat combo, I’m so glad that this is not a messy updo again and she looks absolutely beautiful.

I like what Kate wears most of the time (I know I’m in the minority here lol) but I was hoping Meghan would stay true to her style so this is slightly disappointing but hopefully, she’ll get back to her best at their next event!

• AnaT May 23, 2018 at 16:59 #

I came to say the exact same things you stated on your post. ITA!!

Maybe we had our hopes set too high for Meghan since she had such a great pre-wedding run. Lets keep our hopes high and give her a chance to find her groove within her new role as a royal.

14. kelly May 23, 2018 at 00:16 #

yikes yikes yikes.
    duchess of sussex doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue…
    anyways. this is baaad. it is so the opposite of everything she was wearing so well earlier in the year!

15. Fee May 22, 2018 at 22:47 #

I like it, but I LOVE the hat

16. c May 22, 2018 at 22:19 #

from the neck up she looks amazing (love the hat!), but the rest is just not good at all, sadly

17. Enid May 22, 2018 at 21:42 #

It’s good to see her name like that. Although I agree that the tights are terrible, I can overlook that because she’s just glowing. She looks like a true royal.

18. AnnaP May 22, 2018 at 21:30 #

What weird reactions. I think the whole outfit is beautiful from head to toe (the shoes, bag, earrings, hat, dress, hair, makeup) and event appropriate. The tights match the outfit.

The fit is not loose – I don’t understand how tight some want outfits to be. So that she cannot move? I really cannot see how this doesn’t fit – it fits perfectly.

I get the feeling, no matter what this woman wears, she will be ripped to shreds. No matter, she has always looked stunning, and I’m sure she is happy with how she looks. She doesn’t strike me as one to bow to pressure, be it people telling her to have some garish beaded laced monstrosity of a wedding dress, to people berating her for wearing tights and not wearing tights, or jackets for that matter.

Some outfits on this site are utterly dreadful, but even they get praised to high heaven. I find it very strange that such a tasteful chic garden party outfit is being trashed.

• brat May 22, 2018 at 22:25 #

Meg, is that you? Sorry but I could not resist : P

• SHARMILA May 23, 2018 at 11:48 #

• charlotte May 23, 2018 at 12:24 #

• Lee Ann May 23, 2018 at 12:42 #

There is good taste and there is dull. This is extremely dull – the colour is as someone described bathwater. The fit is not good in the bodice it creases up this should not happen. The tights are too light . I’m not a fan of the hat but I can live with. When a 36 year old woman looks in her late 40’s that is not good taste . Good taste doesn’t have to be aging or dull or edgy but it does need to compliment the woman. This does not .

• Eva May 23, 2018 at 16:48 #

I don’t get why some people are so touchy about the Meghan posts – same thing happened with the wedding. This site is strictly about fashion, some looks are liked and others less so. It’s not about the person, just the clothes, and that’s what I personally love about RCFA. I think we can criticize a look without it coming from a spiteful of mean place. If anything, people have such high expectations for MM because she is so gorgeous!

From the neck down, I don’t think this works at all. Not trying to rip her to shreds, just stating my opinion.

• ayatlaw May 23, 2018 at 17:20 #

+1 Although it is not my favorite look it falls in line with the event, day after her wedding, etc. The stockings I do believe are supposed to match the dress but women should not wear tights that appear white ever. However, Meghan is carrying this look as best she can and I concur not every dress has to be form fitting.

19. Charlotte May 22, 2018 at 20:48 #

The thights are hideous, I know she has to wear them (…) but she can’t even have them in the right color ?!
    And the fit of the dress is not really good either.

20. SilentVisitor May 22, 2018 at 20:41 #

Neck up, she looks absolutely stunning!! what a beauty she is

Everything neck down is a huge NO. Those tights should be burnt along with the dress. I read that MM and KM are exchanging fashion tips, the horror!!!

I hope this is a slip up, otherwise she will turn into another KM

• CreoleLady May 22, 2018 at 22:37 #

“Otherwise she will turn into another KM” — THIS. One is enough.

21. Maz May 22, 2018 at 20:22 #

This is alarming!

22. brat May 22, 2018 at 20:18 #

There there Catherine, she’s being very cautious. Perhaps this is the end. Perhaps she’ll find a good balance. I’m glum about the prospects but it’s too early to call it.

23. Fiona-Brasil May 22, 2018 at 20:12 #

What puzzles me about british protocol is why the queen is entitled to wear all the nice colors and styles and this girls can only wear those unfortunate matronclothes.

24. Helen May 22, 2018 at 19:59 #

She is very slim right now… I expect she lost a lot more weight before the wedding than she planned to, given all the stress of the last week. This outfit would have been planned well beforehand, with no time for alterations day-of. Thus the loose nature of the dress.

25. JHH May 22, 2018 at 19:48 #

Neck up, this is gorgeous. I think that she is trying to find her way with the protocol for royal family dressing and went a touch overboard. I am not British and know zero about the rules for what the royal family can or cannot wear but the sticklers are just watching for the new duchess to make an error and so she went for safe for her first official appearance. I am not mad at her for that and do not blame her one bit. That being said, this dress could have been made more stylish with a slightly slimmer fit through the skirt and better sleeves. Oh well, better luck next time.

26. Rulala May 22, 2018 at 19:44 #

Do you think she HAS to dress a particular way because she’s royal? I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case. Maybe her stylist is a little too scared about getting fired over protocol so he/she is playing it safe.

Also I don’t mind the dress. But good god those stockings are killing me.

27. Hannah May 22, 2018 at 19:43 #

It’s so sad looking. I hope and I have my fingers crossed that it was just an unfortunate misstep. Maybe she tried to be as proper as possible and she just went too far. I want to be cautiously optimistic. I really do.

28. Annemarie May 22, 2018 at 19:39 #

Reminds me at the movie “The Stepford Wives”

29. justme May 22, 2018 at 19:38 #

It’s her first event as a Duchess so I’m praying that she’s just trying to find the right balance.

I don’t want to drag you, Meghan :/

• Catherine Kallon May 22, 2018 at 23:55 #

“I don’t want to drag you, Meghan :/” – this is EXACTLY how I feel. I have a feeling she will eventually find her feet and get back to her pre-wedding style.

30. Mimi May 22, 2018 at 19:32 #

I don’t like the dress at all but she looks so FAB from the neck up I’m willing to forgive it (for now, lol). the hat and sleek bun are amazing together.

31. Vizual Ninja May 22, 2018 at 19:27 #

Oh brother, hopefully she’s not taking style tips from Kate, no offense, but let’s not give up hope just yet lol. This is pretty aging but I love how she looks neck up, the hat and bun are great. Hopefully, as she gets more comfortable she’ll find a right balance, as this doesn’t seem to reflect her taste at all.

32. Elle91 May 22, 2018 at 19:19 #

Please don’t tell me she’s gonna have to wear nude tights now. That sucks 🙁

33. brat May 22, 2018 at 19:07 #

I find her slide into matronly happening even faster than it did with Kate. Camila could have worn this outfit. I despise the panty hose they have to wear!
    I will say that she’s stunning from the neck up, LOVE the sleek updo and the hat.

I guess this ends my speculation that her wedding dress was looser because she may be pregnant. This fabric is thin and very unforgiving.

• Catherine Kallon May 22, 2018 at 19:16 #

“I find her slide into matronly happening even faster than it did with Kate.” I’m fearing the same TBH.

I’m devastated

34. Original meme May 22, 2018 at 19:05 #

This is a Kate Middleton dress. And let’s not even discuss the hosiery.

• Catherine Kallon May 22, 2018 at 19:15 #

I know, which is why I didn’t. I was in enough pain from the dress.

• charlotte May 23, 2018 at 12:27 #

OMG,I was just about to say that.

35. James May 22, 2018 at 19:00 #

I fear that she’ll turn into a Kate 2.0 despite the fact that she’ll never be a Queen. Shame 🙁