Menu

14.05.18 Premiere

Newlywed Sonam Kapoor made her first appearance at Cannes Film Festival this year for tonight’s (May 14) premiere of ‘Blackkklansman’.

Following Deepika Padukone and Aishwarya Rai, the Indian actress is the first one to go traditional this year, wearing a two piece lehenga created by Ralph & Russo.

As beautiful as this look is, I’m struggling to get excited about it.

Mostly because this colour, with this embellishments has been done to death, so in the second week I’m looking for something that’s gonna capture my imagination – see Ava DuVernay and Cate Blanchett. Not more of the same like Deepika Padukone and Araya A. Hargate.

Credit: Getty

Diane Kruger In Prada - Chopard Trophée

Diane Kruger In Prada – Chopard Trophée

Araya A. Hargate In Jean Paul Gaultier Haute Couture - Chopard Trophée

Araya A. Hargate In Jean Paul Gaultier Haute Couture – Chopard Trophée

53 Responses to Sonam Kapoor In Ralph & Russo Haute Couture – ‘Blackkklansman’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

1. Pheephee May 16, 2018 at 02:17 #

Perhaps in a more vivid color? This is nice enough but the color is just so blah, brings it down.

2. Klara May 15, 2018 at 19:26 #

I don’t like it, mostly because for me it’s too much cropped, her bare midriff is kind of two inches too big. You can call it bridal or nude, such a colour recommends a stronger makeup, and the hair could have been better, so I am disappointed because she can do glam. And hey, isn’t it racism to say traditional Indian dresses should be made by Indian designers and its racism when British designers design Indian inspired dresses? To stereotype culture and to command ‘patriotism’ isn’t always the right way to show tolerance and inclusion…

3. Z May 15, 2018 at 10:09 #

Please feature new L’Oréal ambassador Mahira Khan — she was like a breath of fresh air in her black Alberta Ferretti fishtail gown. She was on this red carpet — she walked just before or after Sonam. They were on the red carpet at the same time.

• Catherine Kallon May 15, 2018 at 12:41 #

She was featured in the roundup, and I’m not sure I agree that a black strapless Alberta Ferretti dress is a breath of fresh air.

• brat May 15, 2018 at 16:41 #

it was so whatever, basically the same gown Jennifer Garner wears every year

• Z May 15, 2018 at 20:07 #

In a festival full of overcooked looks, Mahira’s felt like a palette cleanser. (Although this wasn’t her original choice of gown — the one she was supposed to wear got caught in customs) In other words, I’m very underwhelmed by the looks being served this year. But that’s just my opinion.

• Julie May 16, 2018 at 17:10 #

Cut her some slack, you guys. The original dress she wanted to wear got stuck at customs or something. This was great for a back up!

4. Pratyush May 15, 2018 at 04:31 #

the good part… she is celebrating her life’s milestone with the world and relishing in it.

the other side…. if she wanted to wear a lehnga why not get one from an Indian designer?

• Chris May 15, 2018 at 09:57 #

“if she wanted to wear a lehnga why not get one from an Indian designer?”
      That’s what I asked myself as well, that definitely would’ve been nicer..

5. Slvr May 15, 2018 at 03:37 #

I agree the dress would have been more exciting in a brighter/deeper colour or inn the exciting sculptural patterns R&R are known for.

I think a major rrason why Sonam would have wanted to wear this colour is : it’s white like western bridal but still an Indian pattern to show that she’s just been married. It’s got both an east-west appeal.

Secondly, her gorgeous wedding mehendi/henna is quite obvious and personally I would find it difficult to match it with any western gown because it’s an ornament in itself.

Is it her best? Nope. A best of Indianwear? Also nope. But quite a good effort I must say.

6. Ariya May 15, 2018 at 03:32 #

She obviously looks stunning and I love the inspiration behind the dress as she is also a Ralph and Russo muse. The only problem is this style of colour and embellishments have been don’t to death by both.
    Still love the look though.

• Ariya May 15, 2018 at 03:34 #

*done to

7. Caroline May 15, 2018 at 01:18 #

I love her. She is my Cannes Queen. She just made everyone else bite the dust in my eyes.

• Isabela May 15, 2018 at 03:21 #

• brat May 15, 2018 at 04:27 #

i second that

8. Fee May 15, 2018 at 00:11 #

I love this, the style sets it apart from the other Princessy gowns.

9. Chris May 15, 2018 at 00:01 #

Gorgeous but unexciting, I agree.

10. namuh May 14, 2018 at 23:20 #

She looks stunning. I think people aren’t wowed because it’s Sonam and have set the bar so high for her looks because she’s known to deliver.

11. CTgirl May 14, 2018 at 22:53 #

Yeah, no. Not even a little.

• JHH May 14, 2018 at 22:59 #

• Eni May 14, 2018 at 23:30 #

• Alina May 15, 2018 at 05:20 #

12. Ash May 14, 2018 at 22:45 #

I love sonam at Cannes usually but slightly underwhelmed by the lehnga esp because Ralph and Russo have really amazing gowns she could’ve chosen from. Here’s hoping for a different look

Also super excited for the new L’Oréal member Mahira Khan representing Pakistan! (Although I read that her dress got stuck at customs 🙁

13. Reeva May 14, 2018 at 22:41 #

Disappointing. No one has impressed me after Aishwarya Rai’s stunning turn in that peacock gown.

• raam May 16, 2018 at 02:35 #

Agree 100%! Amazing Aishwarya!

14. Real Nat39 May 14, 2018 at 22:27 #

I’m loving the traditional inspiration and glad she isn’t holding back. Thumbs up from me.

15. Arya May 14, 2018 at 22:24 #

She’s so stunning. Like what an incredibly elegant woman. Can elevate a sort of muted look like this

16. Lashae May 14, 2018 at 22:03 #

These types of dresses have becoming more and more boring every time I see them on the redcarpet

• brat May 14, 2018 at 22:05 #

It’s not a dress, it’s a lehenga and they’re almost never seen on the red carpet unless a bollywood star decides to wear them.

17. Becky May 14, 2018 at 22:01 #

It’s prom meets bridal. She looks gorgeous… because she is gorgeous. But I’m not wow’ed the way she can wow.

• Messi May 14, 2018 at 22:04 #

This is my issue. She set the bar so high before. It’s like I know you can do better

• Sonia May 14, 2018 at 22:21 #

I’m in the same way. She’s stunning, but not “oh my god….she’s so stunning”

18. JessNess May 14, 2018 at 22:00 #

Imagine. Being an Indian actress, and choosing an English designer to create your indian dress. Ridiculous. She should be ashamed of herself.

• brat May 14, 2018 at 22:04 #

she just got married and her entire wedding trousseau was created by Indian designers. have a seat.

• Sonia May 14, 2018 at 22:23 #

JessNes, She is actually one of Ralph and Russo’s muses. She just got married few days ago for which all of her wedding wardrobe was full of Indian designer outfits. This is her day to shine.

19. brat May 14, 2018 at 22:00 #

I don’t care who came before her on this red carpet with a similar theme. They were all mediocre. This is excellence that only Sonam can give. My winner of today.

• Chapman May 14, 2018 at 22:08 #

Winner of the day? she’s not even the winner at this event

• brat May 14, 2018 at 22:13 #

Clearly not yours. I said what I said.

• brat May 14, 2018 at 22:17 #

I love everything about this look. We’ll see if I see something I like better before the day is over. Only person I can think of that compares today is Alessandra A. Sonam just got married and clearly wanted to wear a Indian bridal lehenga for her first Cannes appearance. Something that I don’t think anyone who’s not Indian will be able to fully appreciate. I am thrilled with this choice.

• Sharmila May 14, 2018 at 23:53 #

brat – we say here when you go to Rome you do like the Romains , am me too am indienne , i find this boring from her head to the bottom , i don’t care who created this lehenga , but she should wear that in India ….. one word “INDESIRABLE”

• Real Nat39 May 15, 2018 at 00:09 #

Undesirable? She should wear it in India? Oh, no, I’m going to disagree a big time here. Anything with traditional inspiration, showing your identity and so on….is more than welcome in my book, it makes red carpet more diverse and interesting.

• Real Nat39 May 15, 2018 at 00:15 #

…I’m not Indian and I’m looking forward (and I’m sure others too) to Sonam’s traditional-inspired looks at Cannes every year.

• brat May 15, 2018 at 04:28 #

thank you Nat, and yes Sonam serves up western couture over and over again at Cannes. I am always thrilled to see her showcase Indian fashion.

• Sharmila May 15, 2018 at 11:15 #

Nat39 ,
                The Lehengra is a dazzling eye catching dress that triggers of multiple emotions

I only wished that R&R
                could have taken this Lehenga and beaten the Indian designers to their own Indian culture

• Real Nat39 May 15, 2018 at 12:59 #

@Sharmila Now, with this statement I can agree. Perhaps, R&R could’ve done a better job. But in no way Sonam’s bringning some tradition is undesirable.

20. Maria F. May 14, 2018 at 21:53 #

this might have been more exciting in a stronger color. The close up is gorgeous and there is a lot of detail and work in the dress, but it is still not wowing me.

I like the hair piece, I have not seen something like this before.

• Vizual Ninja May 14, 2018 at 22:10 #

• NZ May 15, 2018 at 00:02 #

• Jas May 15, 2018 at 03:25 #

21. Athena May 14, 2018 at 21:53 #

It’s very bridal–which I’ll give a pass to since she just got married!

It’s my favorite of the white/embellished looks, but not as impactful as some of the looks in the past few days

22. Santiago May 14, 2018 at 21:47 #

She looks lovely, I think this is like another wedding dress because of her recent marriage

23. fromchi-town May 14, 2018 at 21:44 #

Not a fan of this look, especially the color. Also not liking her hair and make up. I hope she makes a turn around for her next appearance.

24. Kimma May 14, 2018 at 21:44 #

The short sleeve is completely off balance. It should have been full or bare. Also the skirt has too much volume.