Menu

12.05.18 Premiere

Earlier today I was saying how was tempering my feelings in case Aishwarya Rai Bachchan didn’t deliver at Cannes.

What. An. Idiot.

Of course she was always going to deliver, and in a more spectacular and modern way than she did last year.

She swept the red carpet at the Cannes Film Festival premiere of ‘Girls Of The Sun (Les Filles Du Soleil)’ this evening (May 12) wearing a dramatic gown courtesy Dubai-based designer Michael Cinco.

Detailed with shades of blue, magenta and purple, the Cannes queen looked like a beautiful butterfly who had just shed its cocoon.

A stunning array of complementary De Grisogono jewels, plus glittery eye makeup puts her in the strong running of coming top of my BDOTY list…again.

I can’t wait to see what she has in store for us on Sunday.

Credit: Getty

Amber Heard In Giambattista Valli Haute Couture - 'Girls Of The Sun (Les Filles Du Soleil)' Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Amber Heard In Giambattista Valli Haute Couture – ‘Girls Of The Sun (Les Filles Du Soleil)’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Marion Cotillard In Guy Laroche - 'Girls Of The Sun (Les Filles Du Soleil)' Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Marion Cotillard In Guy Laroche – ‘Girls Of The Sun (Les Filles Du Soleil)’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

116 Responses to Aishwarya Rai Bachchan In Michael Cinco Couture – ‘Girls Of The Sun (Les Filles Du Soleil)’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

1. ShelleyKelley May 13, 2018 at 16:45 #

Va-Va-Voom

2. fromchi-town May 13, 2018 at 14:46 #

She looks fab and dramatic. Do I think this is the best look of Cannes – no. I love it but not enough to make it to the top of my BDOTY list. I am iffy on her make up it makes the look a bit more garish.

3. Jessica May 13, 2018 at 10:15 #

Feel like I’m missing something here, not impressed at all really. I know I’m the minority here- but it just looks a little dated and try hard to me…

• Thea May 13, 2018 at 12:28 #

+1, I don’t think it is that spectacular. I like that she tried something new but eh.

• charlotte May 13, 2018 at 12:54 #

yep,it’s dramatic and loud, but I don’t find the FASHION elements here.
      The long train looked like it was attached to the dress last minute,and the dress itself has been done to death.

4. Prina May 13, 2018 at 09:04 #

That train is strangely jointed at her ass.

• Nat39 May 13, 2018 at 12:01 #

Haha, I sooo see it now !!!!

• Real Nat39 May 13, 2018 at 12:45 #

Excuse me?? Why are using my name??

The look is exquisite h2t.

• Leandra May 13, 2018 at 14:11 #

I knew there was something “wrong”. In some of “your” comments, it didnt sound you , at all.

• Nat39 May 13, 2018 at 17:38 #

Nice to meet you, seems we share a similar name and age, but disagree on fashion. The handles on this site are not unique, so no point getting territorial about it.
          Although, I found your “real” response to be statistically hilarious !

• Real Nat39 May 13, 2018 at 19:32 #

Age? Haha Those are just my lucky numbers. Nice to meet you too.
            I’ve been Nat39 on this site since forever, but I guess, you are right, this isn’t unique enough, maybe I should be Nat3939&1/2 or something lol.

• Leandra May 13, 2018 at 19:56 #

but Nat39 is like an institution amongst the commentariat with his/her so eloquent and sometimes poetic remarks. I’m against you change!

• Real Nat39 May 13, 2018 at 20:56 #

Thanks, Leandra! 🙂
                But at least no one would be able to claim a “statistical coincidence” haha

5. Kat May 13, 2018 at 08:49 #

I have many contradictory thoughts. Looks incredible from a distance. I think from the waist down it’s my favourite dress of the last 2 or 3 years. But I don’t like the ice-skater nude-mesh at the bust or the hair/makeup. I feel like it was *this close* to being one of my faves of all time

• P. May 13, 2018 at 09:09 #

Same thoughts about the nude panel, it kinda ruins it all for me.

6. Ramsay May 13, 2018 at 08:22 #

I don’t find this nice at all

7. P. May 13, 2018 at 08:18 #

She looks beautiful and I want to like this but I don’t. I like sequins, I like purple, I like prints and I like trains, but I guess I just don’t like them all together. I am enjoying the whole look but if I look closely at the dress I find it not that appealing.

• CreoleLady May 14, 2018 at 03:28 #

ITA. It has everything but the kitchen sink. I do like individual elements but the whole looks like patchwork by numbers to me. Nevertheless, I still prefer this look over her gigantic princess gowns, though.

8. Pheephee May 13, 2018 at 07:21 #

OMG. This is divine!! BDOTY candidate by far.
    I don’t understand how people cannot love this….the print and colors are just so intriguing and unique to the other dresses out there.
    I don’t find this dated at all like other commenters mentioned. Its a classic elegant shape. Timeless really.
    She looks flawless and I am in LOVE with Michael Cinco after all his great artwork at this festival.

• Leandra May 13, 2018 at 09:43 #

I can appreciate the craft and the colour scheme but I don’t see THAT beauty like everyone else is seeing in this confection. The neckline is very traditional/conventional, the silhouette is a bit “passĂ©” for the 21th century, me thinks. But lilacs/ violets are my favourite colours so, that weights in the final decision as a winner look.

• charlotte May 13, 2018 at 12:57 #

Amen,sister.
        Also I don’t like how the train is attached to the dress, like an after-thought

9. RACHANA May 13, 2018 at 07:12 #

she slayed the look ,she saved me from all the sher and see through dresses,its soo dramatic love u aishu…aradhya too

10. stormy-teacup May 13, 2018 at 06:42 #

I’m not surprised this is a Dubai-based designer, it’s a very Dubai nouveau-riche gold commode, huda beauty type aesthetic. Personally not my cup of tea, I find this over-the-top baroqueness just assaults the eye with no nuance, mood or finesse.

• stormy-teacup May 13, 2018 at 07:01 #

On second thoughts, its not even the gown I have problems with, the straight long hair is just too bland, maybe a crimped 20’s style half-updo with piercing eyes would have brought out the baroque decadent cleopatra-ish vibe, but she just doesn’t step outside the pageant-y pretty hair-makeup aesthetic.

• Sharmila May 13, 2018 at 13:03 #

She did look like Cleopatra , in one of her photos . I also thinks that the stylist did asked the same questions ,as your critics. But honestly what would you proposed if you were the stylist of this look? Am amused to learn from you. Thank you

• stormy-teacup May 13, 2018 at 13:26 #

As in my original comment, I think just a more romantic crimped updo would be good to bring out the baroque, decadent, medieval duchess feel of artwork on the dress, somewhat like Priyanka’s hair at the MetGala this year (an Indian reference). The makeup could be same as is, perhaps the sharp winged eye could be a bit more exaggerated. This straight hair is just too modern pretty pageant-y and takes away from the overall feel of the dress.

• Orion May 13, 2018 at 14:06 #

Hahahaha i agree! She needs to get out of the michael cincos and zuhair murads to valentino erdem armani etc…

11. Susie May 13, 2018 at 06:22 #

This dress is gorgeous and much more special than the one she wore last year, IMO.

It is a LOT of print but the intricate textures and details in the dress give it depth and a shimmering quality. Just beautiful craftsmanship.

12. Tiger Nueng May 13, 2018 at 04:44 #

BDOTY

13. Nat39 May 13, 2018 at 03:15 #

This is BEYOND…Everyone can just go home. Truly stunning, hands down, the best look of Cannes (so far) and top BDOTY candidate (and I’m loving it MORE(!!!) than her last year’s Cinderella moment).

• Nat39 May 13, 2018 at 03:35 #

…and FC, if you make BDOTW poll right now, I will have no problem choosing, hehe, I thought it would be impossible until Aishwarya showed up and destroyed everyone 🙂

• Jas May 14, 2018 at 03:41 #

14. Amy May 12, 2018 at 23:43 #

I’m glad she didn’t do the princess dress cause I was having a fatigue. And no sheer, no bedazzling. That’s all I needed. This doesn’t look like the rest of the Cannes parade
    I like the color and the makeup. Great piece

15. AnnieOh May 12, 2018 at 23:14 #

obsessed with this look! she is the queen of Cannes for sure. straight to my BDOTY

16. Fee May 12, 2018 at 23:07 #

I don’t like the pattern or colour, it seems too tight around the hips and that train is too contrived. I love that she goes for the big and the bold but this falls flat for me.

• brat May 13, 2018 at 00:02 #

you jest right? it’s custom made for her and the fit is perfection.

• Nat39 May 13, 2018 at 03:56 #

Yes!! The fit is every inch perfect, and the train is captivating and artful!

17. DEDEL May 12, 2018 at 22:23 #

The details on this dress are STUNNING ! BDOTY contender of course and like always from Aishwarya

18. Kimma May 12, 2018 at 21:54 #

Shut. It. Down.

19. pinksugar May 12, 2018 at 21:33 #

She always shows up and shows everyone how it’s really done. A true red carpet queen. This is heavenly.

• The original AB May 12, 2018 at 21:44 #

20. Viral May 12, 2018 at 20:57 #

A hush falls over the crowd!
    There is absolute silence
    One camera , two cameras go off like the wind chimes in a gentle breeze
    The QUEEN walks in slowly but assuredly.
    The TRAIN follows and continues following – there is a loud gasp and all the cameras go off at once and do not stop till the TRAIN makes its way up the stairs.
    The QUEEN smiles quietly to herself – these suckers think it’s over – I am only just beginning!

You wouldn’t believe the amount of crap Aishwarya got in Indian press for her first few Cannes appearances, to see her own Cannes now is such a vindication! she is GORGEOUS!

21. Dhaval May 12, 2018 at 20:54 #

Hi RCFA,

I have been following your blog religiously, especially during Cannes. I love your commentary and your knowledge of the red carpet is at par. I don’t read any other blogger’s post, just flick through the pics, but I read every word you write. I stopped following red carpet coverage during your little break. Thank you so so much for your continuing hard work and keeping us all happy with your amazing posts.

And Aishwarya still takes my breath away. I anticipate and am excited about her appearance at Cannes every year. I go through the same anxiety every year, will she step it up? Will be better than others? But she stands out every way in her own true way. She knows who she is, what works for her and stays true to her self through out. Her style is ever so classic with a perfect mix of fun and drama stirred in, when she feels like it. Most of all she feels at home and comfortable in everything she wears.

• Catherine Kallon May 14, 2018 at 00:13 #

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad you take time to appreciate my work and welcome back

Seeing Aishwarya at Cannes is the highlight of my year.

22. JHH May 12, 2018 at 20:51 #

As a person who loves color, I love the colors in this dress and the butterfly/peacock impression that it gives but I find the style a bit dated. I really hope that this dress does not end up BDOTY. I was not as impressed by last year’s Michael Cinco look as most others were and I am feeling the same way with this one. I am happy though that she skipped the princess gown silhouette.

• Boy May 13, 2018 at 01:17 #

ITA

23. Rajesh May 12, 2018 at 20:47 #

Aishwarya grace, elegance personified as always. Gorgeous

24. Venus May 12, 2018 at 20:47 #

So agree with you on everything. I was relieved not see another heavily embellished tulle/net elie saab inspired gown. This Michael Cinco gown is a work of art. So gorgeous, and no one better to showcase it than queen aishwarya. The makeup is apt for this gown, anything dull would have washed her out. She looks like cleopatra here, so stunning

25. Mimi May 12, 2018 at 20:34 #

This is like the grown up version of Zendaya’s butterfly dress and I am HERE FOR IT. QUEEEN!!!

26. Lily May 12, 2018 at 20:32 #

I had been looking for her pics online but waited most for FC’s reaction to this, because i know she created quite a moment for you last year. Thanks for all the coverage FC, must have been hectic. Take care 🙂

27. Rima May 12, 2018 at 20:32 #

What.a.review. Loved the butterfly reference! Our queen is back with the loudest bang. She’s definitely got a smart stylist-considering she shut it down last year with a greyish blue Cinderella moment she opened with this burst of colour on the red carpet. While it’s a modern gown I think it’s a classic at the same time for some reason. She leaves me breathless every single time at Cannes!!

28. Anon May 12, 2018 at 20:24 #

In that pic of her on the stairs, isnt that the designer himself on the right ? He got so much press coverage because of her last year. Same might happen this year as well

29. Hermoine May 12, 2018 at 20:24 #

I LOVE this and I am so happy it’s not a gigantic ball gown like she has done the last few years

30. Robert May 12, 2018 at 20:12 #

Oh wow!!

31. Pedro May 12, 2018 at 19:56 #

wooow

BDOTY for sure!

32. Silvia May 12, 2018 at 19:52 #

Eh. The craft on the dress is exquisite, but the dress itself looks dated and it looks like elegance has been superseded by a desire to stand out.

• Joan May 12, 2018 at 20:17 #

Isn’t that what this red carpet is all about ? Also hardly anyones takes risks anymore except at the MET gala or few people at cannes. Her daring move makes for a refreshing change

• Silvia May 13, 2018 at 17:49 #

I don’t think this is a daring move and I also don’t care if standing out is the point of this red carpet, I still don’t like the dress.

• clementine May 12, 2018 at 22:11 #

I don’t understand the dated critique a few people came up with. I’ve viewed her and the gown from every angle. She is wearing a magnificent work of art. Art can never be dated. Her styling is fresh and modern.

• Trinny May 13, 2018 at 16:15 #

+1 I’m starting to feel as if the people calling her tacky and her looks dated have something personal against her.

• Silvia May 13, 2018 at 17:47 #

I have nothing personal against her, what a weird assumption. I just don’t like the dress. I loved her Michael Cinco dress from last year, I don’t like this one, no need to dramatise.

33. Aaron May 12, 2018 at 19:44 #

I just saw a video on youtube which showed off her dress on a mannequin with the camera panning inches away from this exqusitely embroidered couture masterpiece. Was BREATHTAKING to say the least. She looks great

34. Alina May 12, 2018 at 19:38 #

I’ll probably be the only one saying this, but I don’t love the dress. The whole look seems a little dated to me.

• Leandra May 12, 2018 at 20:08 #

It IS dated. It’s very Naeem Khan /Reem Acra 5 years ago style.

• Mark May 12, 2018 at 21:07 #

I really want to like this, as everybody is amazed, but I don’t, just the same as last year. I feel it tacky, dated… For me, this is not fashion, but a fancy costume party. At the MET for example I would name 10 dresses as spectacular as this one, but way more elegant. Not just the dresses, but the styling. I find this woman tacky as I said in a previous post

• Eni May 12, 2018 at 21:19 #

• brat May 12, 2018 at 22:27 #

Tacky is such an absurd word to use to describe Aish. Tacky she has never been.

• Caroline May 12, 2018 at 21:40 #

Yup

• Jessica May 13, 2018 at 10:18 #

35. olala May 12, 2018 at 19:37 #

Oh man. I was super anxious as well. And you echo exactly my feelings.

Her appearances have had the same effect as a masterpiece in an art gallery.

36. brat May 12, 2018 at 19:37 #

All Hail the reigning Queen of Cannes, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, in all her resplendent glory! Long may she reign!!

37. Yuri May 12, 2018 at 19:28 #

Yeah Bollywood is bringing in the glamour. Loved this after yesterday’s Depika’s gown. Manior grip about the makeup here. Seems loud.

• Yuri May 12, 2018 at 19:28 #

Minor*

38. Cássia May 12, 2018 at 19:24 #

She gets better year after year! Queen of Cannes!!!

39. Leandra May 12, 2018 at 19:20 #

I much prefer this than her last year’s look. It feels more modern. The embroidery is truly stunning and she looks regal.

40. justme May 12, 2018 at 19:20 #

That train is what dreams are made of. It’s so beautiful.

I really love her eye makeup too.

41. Christopher Teoh Jing Xiang May 12, 2018 at 19:18 #

Aishwarya Rai is not being called the most beautiful woman in the world for nothing!! SHUT IT DOWN LIKE A DAMN GODDESS, straight BDOTY contender!! We’re not worthy indeed, this is simply a work of art, a grand slam masterpiece indeed!!

42. Lara May 12, 2018 at 19:17 #

Amazing! Exquisite detailing with the sequins and her beauty is giving me life!

43. Pratyush May 12, 2018 at 19:16 #

just yesterday I was bemoaning the lack of modernity or variety in her looks…. I am floored by thus artwork! loving the 3D embellishment details

44. Arya May 12, 2018 at 19:15 #

Wish the makeup was a little toned down but a minor quibble for a stunning look. BDOTY two times in a row for me

45. Tenacious May 12, 2018 at 19:15 #

I am BLOWN away! Not only is this dress a masterpiece, but her styling is truly impeccable. Very few people could pull off such a bold and daring look but she pulls it off with ease. Not to mention how the colors of this dress pop against her skin. Undeniably BDOTY worthy.

46. Pratyush May 12, 2018 at 19:13 #

I had a bit of Aishwarya anxiety too this afternoon. and then she gives us this.
    we don’t deserve her!

bravo Michael Cinco.
    What a team

47. EmmaWoodhouse May 12, 2018 at 19:13 #

Cannes started with a whisper this year but is ROARING to life. This is a stunning, intricate, artful look and she is wearing it like a queen. Michael Cinco rules.

• Ana May 12, 2018 at 19:41 #

+1. Days 1 & 2 were rather dull.
      Yesterday and today have been a treat with Araya, Deepika, Ash, Prata, and of course Queen Cate treating us to such gorgeousness!

• Ana May 12, 2018 at 19:42 #

Praya*

• Vizual Ninja May 12, 2018 at 19:54 #

48. quimby May 12, 2018 at 19:11 #

STUNNING. Don’t miss the view from above (last photo).

49. MK May 12, 2018 at 19:11 #

She’s the only QUEEN….

50. NZ May 12, 2018 at 19:09 #

I’m speechless…
    Nothing short of a work of art.
    The queen of Cannes is back, everyone!! BDOTY, I’m calling it already.