Menu

08.05.18

Scarlett Johansson In Marchesa – 2018 Met Gala

Like Nicki Minaj, Scarlett Johansson was also clad in a red ombré gown at the 2018 Met Gala on Monday evening (May 7) in New York City.

The ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ actress opted for a different take with layers of burgundy tulle melding into blush pink in her Marchesa gown.

She often plays into an alluring retro mood or a sensual one, so it was a pleasant change of pace to see her embrace a softer, whimsical mood with this style accented with floral appliqués. Of course, it wasn’t completely without a flirty undercurrent thanks to the gossamer fabric of the bodice.

Credit: Getty

Yara Shahidi In Chanel Couture - 2018 Met Gala

Yara Shahidi In Chanel Couture – 2018 Met Gala

Chadwick Boseman In Versace - 2018 Met Gala

Chadwick Boseman In Versace – 2018 Met Gala

46 Responses to Scarlett Johansson In Marchesa – 2018 Met Gala

1. Leandra May 9, 2018 at 11:27 #

What a disappointment. Wearing Marchesa, now ? and besides that, completely out of the theme.
    I lost respect for Scarlet for this. Very poor taste.

2. Amy May 8, 2018 at 21:39 #

I really like the dress. I’m the first surprise. Would have been great at a premiere but so off theme and low key for the MET ball. And she needs to fire her hair stylist ASAP. She looks 45 which would be OK if she were.

• Amy May 8, 2018 at 21:53 #

Regarding Marchesa, I’ve no desire to see them fail. Many innocent folks work there and put a lot of effort in those clothes. It would be a shame to see them lose their livelihood because of Creepy Weinstein.
      However, Georgina is no clueless wife! everybody knew in Hollywood, and she spent 10 years with him. Maybe she didn’t realize the extent of his crimes. But she knew he has wandering hands and kept quiet because she needed him. Once the situation became unprofitable for her, she left.

• Caitlin May 9, 2018 at 00:31 #

That’s a fair point to raise about the staff of Marchesa, thank you

• J May 9, 2018 at 02:30 #

Or her business partner Keren. It wouldn’t be fair for her to be thrown under the bus because of Jabba the Hutt.

3. hiy May 8, 2018 at 19:50 #

There’s a reason why Weinstein bullied actresses into wearing their awful clothes – keep it in the past.

4. Alina May 8, 2018 at 17:23 #

Nice dress, but not for this events. She needs to sue whoever did this to her hair.

5. J May 8, 2018 at 16:18 #

Marchesa has beautiful gowns but I can’t help with think of Jaba Weinstein. The dress is beautiful, but the hair is bad bad bad.

6. fromchi-town May 8, 2018 at 15:09 #

I am not sure what this has to do with the theme. But for any other red carpet – this would be beautiful. This is such a departure from her usual style.

7. joyita May 8, 2018 at 08:17 #

I like it. Especially the hair. Not really suitable for Met Gala but pretty.

• RT May 9, 2018 at 02:26 #

8. Pheephee May 8, 2018 at 06:11 #

I like the dress for another evening. I like the way it makes it look like she’s disappearing from the bottom up. Its intriguing….
    Still abhor the hairstyle. Hoping thats she growing it out again. Short hair is terrible on her.

9. Maya S. May 8, 2018 at 05:54 #

I like it. It’s one her best looks. And I don’t understand why an asshole’s wife should be blamed for his crimes. Seriously, aren’t you blaming the woman again? How did she enabled him exactly?

I am happy to see Marchesa on the red carpet.

• Susie May 8, 2018 at 06:12 #

Totally agree.

• Susie May 8, 2018 at 06:14 #

Well, agree with your thoughts on Marchesa. I thought the dress was lovely but the middle-aged suburban aunt hair brings the look down.

• charlotte May 8, 2018 at 08:02 #

the down side of political correctness, the collateral damage is just too much.

• Maria F. May 8, 2018 at 08:52 #

Georgina Chapman might have not known about the sexual harrassment, but she must have known that he was pressuring actresses to wear Marchesa for their publicity tours and red carpet events. That alone made her profit from his bullying.

• Noemi May 8, 2018 at 09:39 #

I’m happy to see Marchesa again (and what a dress!). Blaming Georgian Chapman for what her husband did is another form of sexism.
      Stylists push their clients to wear this and that all the time, and nobody accuse them to bullying their clients.

• Caitlin May 8, 2018 at 09:55 #

Hi Maya – I’ve written this below but thought I should also reply to you. No, I am not blaming the woman. If you have listened to the audio recording of Harvey with the Italian model he groped, he openly admitted to doing what she said he’d done. Once this audio was used legally, Georgina Chapman released a joint statement with her husband saying she was FULLY AWARE of his actions and SUPPORTED HIM no matter what. So yeah, she was aware.

She also knew that her husband bank-rolled her brand, AND was bullying actresses into wearing her clothes. She did nothing because she had personal gain.

Lastly, there’s a reason they called it the secret everyone knew in Hollywood. Chapman knew.

• Kat May 8, 2018 at 16:06 #

Yep. Spot on Caitlin

• Maya S. May 8, 2018 at 16:41 #

Caitlin, I understand where you are coming from. I really do. The joint statement doesn’t prove anything for me though. Women are pressured to do these kind of things all the time. I find it hard to blame someone I know very little about. Harvey has been investigated and his crimes are documented and in none of the reports I read, there is any mention of this pressuring of actresses you talk about byChapman. I would need to see a quote by an actress or some kind of reporting on this before rushing to blame a woman for what her husband did. I am hesitant to focus on gossip as it can go both ways for women. As long as I am concerned, Marchesa is Chapman’s work. She has done nothing I know of that I disapprove of. A lot of women stay with horrible men. I understand the reasons why no matter how much I agree with you that they shouldn’t.

• Caitlin May 9, 2018 at 00:37 #

I can respect how fair you’re being in your approach to this. I understand everything is open to interpretation, but for my own part, there seems to be a wealth of evidence suggesting that Chapman had knowledge of her husband’s actions – and this to me amounts to complicity.

If you would like to see some statements from actresses saying they were forced into wearing Marchesa, Sienna Miller and Jessica Chastain are two of them – and they’re only just the first few results when you Google it.

• Maya S. May 10, 2018 at 19:00 #

Thank you Caitlin. I will research this more and check out the statements.

• Original meme May 8, 2018 at 14:49 #

I agree. Georgina is not responsible for her husband’s behavior. I’m not a big fan of Marchesa but this is a lovely dress. The hair is not good.

10. Ana May 8, 2018 at 05:51 #

Looks like I’m the only one who likes this. Loved the dress, loved the hair. Think she looks super pretty. She’s glowing!

• Ana May 8, 2018 at 05:52 #

But yeah – not on theme. I agree with that bit!

11. Camilla May 8, 2018 at 05:40 #

Putting aside that this is Marchesa,

this is the MET, and it’s Scarlett Johansson, and it is a serious struggle to care about the sum total of this look.

12. Caitlin May 8, 2018 at 05:29 #

She’s one person I LEAST expected would wear Marchesa!!! Didn’t she do a big speech at an LA Time’s Up rally ??? Didn’t she “call out” James Franco for accusations of bad behaviour by women ??? Yet here she is wearing the brand of a woman who like that, who enabled a man like that, at an event with the whole world watching.

I’m officially disenchanted with Hollywood’s apparent interest in social justice. Scarlett here is living proof of its hypocrisy.

(Sorry for the non-fashion rant guys, but I couldn’t ignore this)

• Bec May 8, 2018 at 06:09 #

Should a wife pay for her husband’s crimes? She has left him and filed for divorce, hasn’t she?

I would say it makes perfect sense for Scarlett to wear Marchesa in support of Georgina as she is a supporter of women.

We don’t know what Georgina knew, and it’s not right to speculate and assume.

• Iva May 8, 2018 at 07:08 #

I’m not sure if Georgina is to blame (in any way) for Harvey’ crimes.

However, I do agree with you on the “Hollywood’s apparent interest in social justice” and “hypocrisy”.

• Caitlin May 8, 2018 at 09:52 #

Replying to both Bec and Ivy – if you have listened to the audio recording of Harvey with the Italian model he groped, he openly admitted to doing what she said he’d done. Once this audio was used legally, Georgina Chapmen released a joint statement with her husband saying she was FULLY AWARE of his actions and SUPPORTED HIM no matter what. So yeah, she was aware.

Normally I try really hard to keep my comments to just the fashion, but in some cases it’s not possible. If Melania Trump is excluded on this site for her husband’s perceived crimes, perhaps Marchesa should be too.

• Caitlin May 8, 2018 at 09:53 #

Sorry, *Iva

13. Mimi May 8, 2018 at 05:06 #

SO dated

14. Christine May 8, 2018 at 05:00 #

Surprised she is wearing the disowned Marchesa.

I don’t like the dress at all.

Not for the MET

15. Jerusa May 8, 2018 at 04:48 #

Why at the MET??????????😭

16. EmmaWoodhouse May 8, 2018 at 04:44 #

1) Surprised anyone is wearing Marchesa
    2) pretty, but hardly ground-breaking.

• Caitlin May 8, 2018 at 09:57 #

Right?? It’s such a boring dress that is so off-theme as well, she must have picked it deliberately. What kind of statement is she trying to make exactly?

17. JHH May 8, 2018 at 04:43 #

Are you kidding with this? This looks like an 80s bridesmaid dress worn by a soccer mom.

18. Boy May 8, 2018 at 04:43 #

Kentucky housewife vibes.

19. clippy May 8, 2018 at 04:37 #

terrible hair boring dress

20. Isabela May 8, 2018 at 04:36 #

It is the first time someone wore Marchesa since Harvey’s scandal. So, although this is not my favorite dress from the brand, i’m glad to see it back to the red carpet.

• Sully May 8, 2018 at 04:43 #

As am I !

21. Gem May 8, 2018 at 04:35 #

Love the dress. Her hair looks like a terrible retro wig.

22. Caroline May 8, 2018 at 04:35 #

She literally threw on whatever dress there was. The soccer mom hair needs to leave. She’s losing her appeal.

23. Vizual Ninja May 8, 2018 at 04:33 #

another let down in regards to being on theme, pretty dress but hard pass.