Menu

04.05.18

Sarah Jessica Parker’s Best Met Gala Fashion Looks Of All Time

When it comes to the Met Gala, there is NO ONE more committed to the theme than Sarah Jessica Parker, which is why her absence was so notable last year.

She loves drama, a Philip Treacy headpiece and most of all, she loves to have fun with it.

Below is a look at all of SJP’s fashion moments from the gala. Rate your favourite.

1995 – Freshman Year
Theme: Haute Couture

SJP attended her first Met Gala back in 1995. The theme was Haute Couture, the dress was simple black velvet. It’s almost hard to believe the SJP we all now know and love would ever play it this safe. It would be 10 years later before she would be invited to the Met Gala again.

2006 – Mad for Plaid
Theme: AngloMania: Tradition and Transgression in British Fashion

Sarah Jessica Parker made quite the impression at the 2006 Met Gala when she arrived in a custom made Alexander McQueen gown that mixed delicate lace with swaths of tartan. It was the moment that ensured she would continue to be added to the guest list going forward.

2010 – Blush and Bashful
Theme: American Woman: Fashioning A National Identity

The actress wore a simply gorgeous Halston Heritage gown to go with her perfectly in place hair accessory and a wrist full of diamonds that fit right in with the evening’s theme.

2011 – Honoring the Honoree
Theme: Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty

Some might have felt that SJP could’ve gone harder with this theme, considering her 2006 outing, and the archive of more dramatic pieces in Alexander McQueen’s archive, but I love the elegance and unexpected nature of this Fall 2005 look.

2012 – Florals for Spring
Theme: Schiaparelli and Prada: Impossible Conversations

Arriving at the Met Gala with Valentino Garavani and wearing a Valentino flowery and feminine number, what was the link to the theme? Pink was a signature colour of Italian designer Elsa Schiaparelli.

2013 – I Predict A Riot
Theme: Punk: Chaos to Couture

We didn’t expect anything less than punk perfection from Sarah Jessica Parker in 2013 and she  delivered the most drama way wearing a printed Giles gown paired with Christian Louboutin boots, but it was the Philip Treacy headpiece which really played into the theme.

2014 – Sign Language
Theme: Charles James: Beyond Fashion

This was a night of some of my most favourite Met Gala moments – Liu Wen in Zac Posen and Karolina Kurkova in Marchesa, so I’ll admit at the time this Oscar de la Renta gown wasn’t my favourite.  Over time it grew on me and became one of her SJP’s finest and most dramatic moments.

2015 – Best On Theme
Theme: China: Through the Looking Glass

Her Asian-inspired H&M gown epitomized the theme – but it was her red and silver Philip Treacy headpiece which was the talk of the night.

2016 – Muted by her Standards
Theme: Manus x Machina: Fashion in an Age of Technology

While it was said that Monse ensemble, inspired by “Hamilton”, a lot of us were left thirsty for a more tech-tastic look from SJP. With Claire Danes rocking a Zac Posen gown which was glowing in the dark, this was muted for the occasion and by SJP’s standards.

Met Gala Favourites

Met Gala Favourites

NET-A-PORTER's Modern Bride

NET-A-PORTER’s Modern Bride

25 Responses to Sarah Jessica Parker’s Best Met Gala Fashion Looks Of All Time

1. Original Meme May 6, 2018 at 21:46 #

Love these posts. So much fun to see what people wore over the years.

2. charlotte May 6, 2018 at 07:58 #

In spite of her evolving looks,her eye make up also got heavier and heavier through the years, she used to have beautiful big eyes,and now we can barely see them behind all those excessive makeup

3. Jessica Di May 6, 2018 at 04:45 #

Love these posts! Great job!

4. JHH May 5, 2018 at 13:00 #

Looking at this SJP retrospective reminds me that I have only liked 2 of her looks over the years — 2006 and 2013 but 2006 is one of my all-time favorite looks from the Met Gala. 2015 was especially horrendous.

• charlotte May 6, 2018 at 08:13 #

I agree,her 2015 look was not being remembered for its brilliance but for its superficial interpretation of Chinese Culture.
      A tasseled Peking Opera inspired head piece and a satin dress with Tibetan style sash is not something I would think of when it comes to China.
      With that being said,we also saw tons of butt-baring, attention-seeking,half-naked women that night who couldn’t care less about the theme, so SJP’s attempt to be on theme is to be commended.

5. Silvia May 5, 2018 at 12:21 #

2015 = Jen from the IT Crowd when she’s on her period.

• charlotte May 6, 2018 at 08:00 #

Hahahahahahaha….Stop,I’m rolling on the floor laughing..
      well observed tho

6. Noemi May 5, 2018 at 09:59 #

Monse in 2016. I love her in McQueen, H&M and Valentino, but in 2016 she perfectly owned the dress code while many people didn’t even realized it.

7. Jeremy May 5, 2018 at 03:02 #

She’s definitely iconic at the Met Gala. Crazy that she was absent for all those years, though!

There are lots of other people who always attend and always turn it out, too.

I’d love to see a retrospective like this for Karolina Kurkova’s Met looks and also Rihanna’s. They both like to go bold for this event! It doesn’t always work, but it’s always interesting.

8. TeaAtTwo May 4, 2018 at 22:52 #

I’m surprised that she wasn’t invited/an attendee during the SATC years. Liu and Karolina were definitely the most epic ones of that 2014 gala. I really like the Anglomania and the punk looks but the rest don’t excite me much and I think others were better and more interesting in those years.

9. Maria F. May 4, 2018 at 19:41 #

I like that she commits to the looks, but my preferred ones are the Alexander McQueen and the Blush.

10. Nat39 May 4, 2018 at 19:23 #

Blush 2010 looks really beautiful.
    In general, I like that she commits to the themes, although the execution is never really 100% for me – there is often (an overly theatrical) element that would throw it off.

• Catherine Kallon May 4, 2018 at 19:24 #

If you can’t do overly theatrical at the Met Gala, when can you? 😀

• Nat39 May 4, 2018 at 19:38 #

Hehe, true! 🙂
        It’s just in the way she does it, the results aren’t quite appealing or harmonious enough (for me) esp. once you start comparing to how it should be done, like Fan’s Met 2015 look, for example.

11. AnnieOh May 4, 2018 at 19:10 #

Love this! SJP always rocks at the Met Gala – can’t wait to see what she wears this year 🙂

12. quimby May 4, 2018 at 19:09 #

What a fun retrospective! I’d forgotten how amazing the Giles look was.

13. Becky May 4, 2018 at 19:00 #

Love these types of posts, FC! xo

• Catherine Kallon May 4, 2018 at 19:11 #

thank you. Always a lot of fun. I am going to try to do more.

Look forward to a Fan Bingbing one for Cannes.

• Maria F. May 4, 2018 at 19:40 #

wow, cannot wait for that one!

• Nat39 May 4, 2018 at 20:06 #

Oh, that would be amazing, thanks FC!
        still can’t forget her magnificent BDOTY Ralph&Russo at 2015 opening(!)

• Fanny May 4, 2018 at 22:34 #

I’m really looking forward to that one!
        Also these pre-Met Gala posts make me look forward to this year’s gala a lot! You’re doing a great job.

• charlotte May 6, 2018 at 08:27 #

YAS!!pls do FC,I have so much to say about all those years of glory.
        That iconic dragon robe, porcelain vase and countless stunning moments courtesy of Elie Saab couture.
        Word is that she will also attending this year’s Cannes,so I’m anxious to know what she had in store for us this time.

• kelly May 6, 2018 at 15:21 #

fantastic :)) such a great post, reading this and feasting over the beautiful photos really makes my day!

• Pheephee May 5, 2018 at 08:19 #

I also adore these throwback posts. fabulous! Its always fun to see what was and what will be.
      I def chose the Halston of 2010. She stuck with code and looked glorious without going all stupid overboard.
      Hers is one fashion I abhor usually.

I choose Karolina Kurkova as always sticking to theme…..She always does ‘it’ whether it passes or not. She is always bringing it to the Met.

I could practically cry, Im so excited by Met and Cannes. I just LOVE this time of year.

• GRACE May 6, 2018 at 11:35 #

yes, I LOVE this style of posts, FC! thank you so much for doing it! it feels educational and fun and a huge throwback for the ones I can remember from my first years on this website 🙂