Menu

02.05.18

Cannes 2018 Jury

Under the presidency of Cate Blanchett, the Cannes 2018 jury will include five men and four women from seven nationalities and five continents.

Filmmakers Ava DuVernay and Denis Villeneuve and actors Kristen Stewart and Léa Seydoux will serve, alongside Chinese actor Chang Chen, French director Robert Guédiguian, Burundian singer Khadja Nin and Russian director Andrey Zvyagintsev.

Cate Blanchett: The two time Oscar-winner will be the 11th woman to head the jury. I am anticipating a selection of looks from Givenchy, Armani and Gucci. Most likely custom-made. Following the Times Up and Me Too campaigns that saw Golden Globe attendees wearing all black, I’m wondering if Cate will use this event and her presidency to make a statement.

Givenchy Spring 2018 Couture
Givenchy Spring 2018 Couture
Gucci Spring 2018

Ava DuVernay: The filmmaker tends to stick to a fit and flare silouttes with her favourite designer appearing to be Prada. I would love for Versace to create a custom in a similar vein to Oparh’s Golden Globes gown for the opening ceremony. I would also love to see her in something edgy from Rodarte.

Valentino Spring 201 Couture
Elie Saab Fall 2018
Rodarte Fall 2018

Kristen Stewart: No doubt it will be Chanel all the way for Kristen, as the face of the brand, so there is no point in wishing for anything else. You hated her Chanel Resort 2018 look for the ‘120 Beats Per Minute’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere, but it was one of my favourite looks from her in 2018. With Kristen at Cannes, she is unlikely to be at the Met Gala.

Chanel Spring 2018 Couture
Chanel Pre-Fall 2018
Chanel Fall 2018

Léa Seydoux: Like Kristen, this run is likely to be in the hands of one brand: Louis Vuitton. I would be in heaven if they could whip her up some of those drop dead looks we saw during the ‘Spectre’ promo tour, but it seems that the best looks are created for Alicia Vikander. Hopefully that changes come May 8.

Louis Vuitton Fall 2018
Louis Vuitton Pre-Fall 2018

Blake Lively In Michael Kors Collection, Ralph Lauren & Zimmermann - 'A Simple Favor' Promo Tour

Blake Lively In Michael Kors Collection, Ralph Lauren & Zimmermann – ‘A Simple Favor’ Promo Tour

Gabrielle Union In Marc Jacobs - 'Breaking In' LA Screening

Gabrielle Union In Marc Jacobs – ‘Breaking In’ LA Screening

27 Responses to Cannes 2018 Jury

1. VG May 4, 2018 at 04:40 #

That Givenchy collection (Spring 2018 Couture) was practically made for Cate! They presented so many gorgeous gowns that I can so easily see her wearing (especially at Cannes). I also loved Armani Prive Spring 2018 so I’m hoping to see her stay true to her fave and wear some from that collection.

Not sure what to expect from Kirsten, I’m a HUGE fan of Chanel but even I can admit that the house isn’t great at creating red carpet gowns.
    And Lea…well all the excitement over her style disappeared when she ditched Prada for LV…

2. BB May 3, 2018 at 12:08 #

I can’t wait to see Khadja Nin on the red carpet. She’s an amazing performer from Burundi is a red carpet queen here in the African continent.
    She’s also friends with Karl Lagerfeld, a personal friend of the Monaco royal family and is married to F1 legend, Jacky Ickx.
    She just knows how to wear a turban. Her headgear will be amazing and I can’t wait to see what she will be wearing!

3. Nicola May 3, 2018 at 08:24 #

Looks like Kristen is in Paris for the Chanel Cruise show.

4. charlotte May 3, 2018 at 03:30 #

the second Givenchy look for Cate is so dreamy,I really hope to see that in Cannes.
    also the Valentino ball gown for Ava, I would like to see it on someone more dainty and sophisticated.

5. weiss May 2, 2018 at 18:16 #

I hope we see a lot of Cate, I was disappointed with Fan Bingbing last year, as we only got like 4 looks from her. I’m expecting a lot from Cate as I know a lot of designers like her. Hope she stays away from awkward stuff like Gucci.

Ava is the wild card, I think she might surprise us.

I do tend to like what Kristen wears since Lagerfeld took her under his wing, but she tend to stick to same shapes so I’m not expecting a lot of variety.

Lets do a prayer circle for Lea because she only looks good with the more casual separates from the Vuitton runway, all the gowns and dresses she has worn since her LV contract are either ugly or boring. *mourns her Miu Miu and Prada days*

• MG May 2, 2018 at 18:57 #

Fan will attend Cannes this year, along with Jessica Chastain, Marion Cotillard, Penelope Cruz, and Lupita Nyong’o, for their project ‘355’. We should be expecting tons of amazing looks!

• charlotte May 3, 2018 at 03:27 #

YES,I was so pumped when I saw this on the news yesterday,imagine the red carpet appearances, party looks and press conference looks…
        when you put Fan and Lupita, Jessica, Penelope, Marion in the same film the red carpet is destined to be EPIC.
        I’m counting every second, literally.

6. SilentVisitor May 2, 2018 at 17:59 #

I love Cate’s and Ava’s choices. there will be some Armani looks from Cate

The jumpsuit for Kristen is spot on. She definitely has the personality to pull it off but not sure she will wear it given the avenue and the fact it has been worn before (even if it was a modified version)

Lea should ring Miuccia Prada as soon as possible because the two looks selected for her aren’t great! Perhaps she will wear mostly custom made looks

i can’t wait for Cannes and the Met!

7. Nat39 May 2, 2018 at 17:28 #

The 1st two Chanel looks for Kristen Stewart are spot-on imo., suit her. Also the 1st Givenchy for Cate (although I’m hoping she will do more)

8. Original meme May 2, 2018 at 17:22 #

That Gucci pick for Cate is hideous. Love the Valentino for Ava and the Chanel jumpsuit for Kirsten. No to both choices for Lea (please let Prada work some more magic on her).

9. Evita May 2, 2018 at 16:31 #

“ruined that jumpsuit for Kristen” not ruined the jumpsuit/look, it was not a critique of Melania or Penelope’s look or the jumpsuit itself, I though I made myself clear

10. Pheephee May 2, 2018 at 16:23 #

That Ava Duvernay Valentino you picked is divine. I really hope to see that on someone.

The Cannes team this year is amazing! I am really hoping everyone just goes for it, in color. I hope for fashion drama drama drama!!!!!!!

I wish Lea was still in Prada/Miu Miu….LV is usually awful…..but I do hope she is the one to change my mind about that.

• charlotte May 3, 2018 at 03:33 #

PREACH,sistar!!!!!
      No more black dresses please,we need color and drama.

11. pinksugar May 2, 2018 at 15:05 #

Love the choices for Cate. It’s hard for her to ever look bad. Lea killed it when she stuck to Miu Miu/Prada, but LV fails on most everyone. Kristen’s choices are predictable, but then so is she and her stylist. Would be a nice change of pace for to her go full glamour. I won’t hold my breath on that. After seeing Ava’s Wrinkle In Time promo tour, I am very excited to see what she will bring to the fashion table.

12. Caroline May 2, 2018 at 15:00 #

Another year of people overrating Kristen’s looks. Yawn. Excited for the rest. Though I wish Lea would go back to Prada/Miu Miu.

13. JHH May 2, 2018 at 14:39 #

I too expect some Armani in Cate’s mix. I like the first Guvenchy choice for her. The others — not so much. I can’t see Ava in any of her choices except maybe the Valentino and I think (hope) (pray) she would get rid of some of the ruffles. I feel like she would line the Eli’s Saab which would make it too heavy looking and she would close up the neckline on the Rodarte. I hope that Kirsten wears that jumpsuit. She will kill it if she does. I did not like how Melanie adapted it so I hope to see it again and this time on someone, Like Kristen, with the edge to work it. Fingers crossed for Lea in LV.

14. Iva May 2, 2018 at 13:59 #

I expect Cate to wear some Armani, but I do love your choices for her here.
    I also like dresses chosen for Ava – except maybe the Elie Saab one.
    As for the other two – I like the jumpsuit for Kirsten.

15. Maria F. May 2, 2018 at 13:48 #

oh this post is so much fun!

for Cate – both Givenchys are amazing.

for Ava – the Rodarte is great. Love love love the Valentino, but i would have to see it on her.

not especially inspired by the choices for Kristen and Lea, I would love to see them both in more dramatic outfits.

• Catherine Kallon May 2, 2018 at 14:05 #

It was really hard picking for Lea and Kristen. Not a lot of great looks to select from. Lea will no doubt be custom all the way

• Maria F. May 2, 2018 at 14:40 #

oh, I did not mean your choices, more Chanel and LV…

I think Kristen will slay the photo calls.

16. Charlotte May 2, 2018 at 13:05 #

I love the 2nd Givenchy dress you picked for Cate Blanchett, she would look amazing in it!
    The 3 dresses for Ava Duvernay are Great, love the first one!
    As for Lea Seydoux and Kristen Stewart they are the faces of two brands I hate most right now, especially Louis Vuitton, so I don’t except much unfortunately…
    I

17. Evita May 2, 2018 at 12:41 #

Love this post. I think it’s a sure bet that Cate will wear some Givenchy.
    I hate the fact that Melania ruined that jumpsuit for Kristen because I know that Penelope Cruz had previously worn it but she wasn’t photographed properly in it so in my head it didn’t really count. So I am hoping she’ll go down the custom route, I mean if the team at Chanel are willing to customize runway looks for Melania or for Monica Bellucci last year, they’ll do it for Kristen,right?
    As for Lea if she wears one Prada look even if it’s just for a dinner or for the sidewalk sashays they do I will actually shed a tear. To be honest though, there are some great seads for custom looks in the Fall 2018 Collection like the black dress you picked.