Menu

Meghan Markle In Altuzarra – CHOGM London 2018

Meghan Markle attended a reception at the Commonwealth Youth Forum on a gloriously sunny day in London today (April 18) with her fiancé Prince Harry.

The former actress wore an Altuzarra Resort 2018 pinstripe dress styled with a Camilla and Marc Marguerite blazer, Tamara Mellon Paramour pumps and an Oroton Avalon crossbody bag.

I’ve loved the presentation of all of Meghan’s looks so far, but this one didn’t work for me.

I love the dress, but that blazer was so unnecessary.

Even if she was required to wear it as some to add some formality to her look, she should’ve worn it properly as it’s too structured to be slung over the shoulders successfully and comes off looking awkward and bulky.

The crossbody bag feels too informal. This was a meeting at the Commonwealth with delegates. Not brunch on Solane Square with your gal pals.

You may remember that Kerry Washington wore this same dress in navy last month.

Altuzarra Audrey Midi Dress

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

Olivia Culpo In Ester Abner - ‘I Feel Pretty’ LA Premiere

Olivia Culpo In Ester Abner – ‘I Feel Pretty’ LA Premiere

Kelsey Asbille In Salvatore Ferragamo - Food Bank For New York City's Can Do Awards Dinner

Kelsey Asbille In Salvatore Ferragamo – Food Bank For New York City’s Can Do Awards Dinner

25 Responses to Meghan Markle In Altuzarra – CHOGM London 2018

1. CreoleLady April 19, 2018 at 00:09 #

The styling definitely let’s her down. A swing and a miss, although I like the pieces individually.

2. Fee April 18, 2018 at 22:41 #

I really like it, but agree she could have ditched the jacket.

• Lisa April 19, 2018 at 05:45 #

To be fair, it looks like she wore the jacket over her shoulders to stay warm while walking from the car to the building…. She wasn’t wearing it inside as part of the ensemble, as per the additional photos.

But agreed – I didn’t like the blazer either. And the Altuzarra dress looks very boxy on her frame.

• Catherine Kallon April 19, 2018 at 08:14 #

As I said in the post. It was very hot in London yesterday. The hottest day so far this year. Believe me when I say the jacket wasn’t needed.

• Mimi April 19, 2018 at 15:14 #

I’m jealous!! We’re still basically in winter in the Northern US!

• SilentVisitor April 19, 2018 at 18:05 #

You’re lucky…. it is still pretty chilly in NYC

3. Dhppy April 18, 2018 at 20:40 #

I think the bag goes well with the dress (which I just can’t like no matter how it’s styled), but the jacket has nothing to do with anything and the shoes seem more suitable for an evening look.

I still prefer that she make her own attempts at finding the right style for her new position and faltering a bit rather than going boringly Royal.

The costume designer for Suits, Jolie Andreatta, got a lot of well deserved notice for her work (especially on Gina Torres‘ character). Meghan should pick her brain for a few suggestions.

• Catherine Kallon April 19, 2018 at 08:15 #

One of my favourite things about Suits was Gina’s wardrobe. I was gutted when she left.

4. TeaAtTwo April 18, 2018 at 19:12 #

I agree about the styling not working.

5. J April 18, 2018 at 18:38 #

She’s swimming in this dress.

• brat April 19, 2018 at 04:53 #

Yup ill fitting and baggy on her. Kerry wore it much better. Everybody is rushing to kiss her ass over this choice, if the fit is this bad, the look fails imo. I like most of the separates. She isn’t wearing the blazer the way Melania and other models wear it, it’s wearing her and it does indeed look awkward.

• Annie April 19, 2018 at 19:34 #

I’m so glad someone said it. Everyone is always falling all over themselves to kiss up to her that it’s becoming over the top. When her clothes don’t fit, someone should just honestly tell her so that she can fix it. Like those pants she wore a few months ago that were so long the bottoms were splattered with mud.

And now this dress. It is cute yes, but it’s also probably a size too big for her and makes her look like a square around the waist. Plus, she’s meeting delegates at the Commonwealth. Was a holiday sundress really appropriate?

Aside from the pointless and awkward use of the blazer, if its purpose is to make her outfit a bit more formal, then why not just wear a totally different dress altogether.

6. Maya S. April 18, 2018 at 17:07 #

I don’t think this was event appropriate at all. It’s cute dress but that is about the only positive thing I can say about this look.

7. JHH April 18, 2018 at 15:44 #

Absolutely agree that the blazer is throwing off the look but I also do not like the shoes with this dress. The shoes are a bit too formal/office wear for the dress and the crossbody bag. It seems like at the last minute she concluded that the initial outfit (the dress and the bag) is too casual for the event so she tried to dress it up a bit but the pieces she chose (the jacket and the shoes) do not work. I’ve had to do that and it rarely works.

8. Charlotte April 18, 2018 at 15:34 #

I like the dress but, like with Kerry Washington, I think it looks better as presented in the lookbook with one button down.

As for her styling, I don’t think the bag makes this too informal.

9. Vizual Ninja April 18, 2018 at 15:28 #

I agree it’s a light and cute dress, but the blazer kills it, and it seems too casual for the described event

10. SilentVisitor April 18, 2018 at 15:24 #

I like the look sans blazer which i think is unnecessary especially worn that way….it is too stiff

I love the dress and the shoes and I actually think it is appropriate given how people around her are dressed

• AnnaP April 18, 2018 at 15:39 #

Exactly – it looks like a semi-formal affair. Wearing a stuffy outfit would not fit with Meghan and would distance her from those she is there for. I don’t know why she cannot be allowed to have her own style!

• Catherine Kallon April 18, 2018 at 15:52 #

For me only the bag feels too informal.

Love the dress, but the blazer just doesn’t work. It’s too hot for it, hence her decision to sling it over her shoulders.

• Jess April 19, 2018 at 19:21 #

I actually think the dress is highly inappropriate when looking at how the people around her are dressed. Most are in what would be deemed “business casual”. She looks like she dressed up for dinner at a beach resort, i.e. a fancier sundress with some heels thrown in plus the only jacket they brought on vacation in case it gets cold out.

Aside from all that, the dress fits poorly. It’s all bunched up around the waist/belt area and makes her torso look boxy. The crossbody bag is not only far to casual but also pointless when you think about it. What does she really need to carry to this event? Cash? Her ID? Is someone not going to let her in when she’s stepping out of the same car as Prince Harry?

11. AnnaP April 18, 2018 at 15:15 #

I think she looked perfectly appropriate and chic and I thank God she’s not morphing into a stiff Kate-like boring person.

There’s always too much nit-picking when it comes to Meghan.

12. Mimi April 18, 2018 at 15:12 #

that blazer was not meant to be worn like that. the dress is cute but this is far from her best.

13. kelly April 18, 2018 at 15:08 #

Hard pass. The ‘blazer slung over shoulders’ editor look is both try hard, and honestly everyone was doing this a couple of years ago, it is over. Dress and bag are much too casual for her station.

14. Maria F. April 18, 2018 at 15:05 #

i agree, it is just too much. Bulky jacket, dress, bag.

To be honest, I feel the dress is a tad informal. Might be the straps, but it just does not say formal engagement to me.

15. Original meme April 18, 2018 at 15:02 #

I think the dress is cute without the jacket, which just looks odd draped on her shoulders. I agree about the bag. Love her shoes.