06.03.18 Menswear

2018 Oscars & Oscar Parties Menswear Roundup

Many of the men brought their A game to the 2018 Oscars and Oscars parties, including the Vanity Fair Oscar Party and Elton John’s AIDS Foundation Academy Awards Viewing Party on Sunday (March 4) in California.

Chadwick Boseman: The ‘Black Panther’ star continued his reign of sartorial power in this Givenchy Haute Couture suit that was inspired by a full look in the Spring 2018 collection. However, I love how he made the long, embellished jacket his own—sleekly styling it with black shirting and trousers and the zipper-accented shoes.

Donald Glover: This Gucci tux such a handsome-luxe approach with the velvet jacket taking it to the next level in partnership with the relaxed-suave appeal of the slipper shoes. A David Yurman ring completed the look.

Tom Holland: Sometimes double-breasted jackets can come across as a bit contrived, but I love how Tom wore this Hermès suit so sharply. It was a standout on the Oscars red carpet with his Piaget watch adding that final touch.

Tom Holland: Tom again impressed me at the Vanity Fair party, changing into this Dolce & Gabbana aubergine three-piece suit styled with Christian Louboutin shoes. It was the right decision to skip the tie, as it created such an effortless cool factor that was still plenty dressed up.

Adam Rippon: The Olympic ice skater channeled an adventurous side in this Moschino by Jeremy Scott tuxedo that pushed the envelope with its harness accoutrement.

Darren Criss: I like how this burgundy velvet Emporio Armani jacket offered a different variation on the classic tuxedo.

Calvin Harris: You can’t go wrong with the classics when they look as polished as this Ermenegildo Zegna Couture suiting and Chopard cufflinks.

Winston Duke: A scarf doesn’t always make the cut on the red carpet, but Winston made the case for it in this Etro tux, which I also liked for the white-on-white bow tie and dress shirt. Tod’s shoes completed the look.

Jordan Peele: Jordan’s twist on the tux involved a white dinner jacket in this Calvin Klein 205W39NYC design.

Timothée Chalamet: Speaking of white, it was a total white-out for the young ‘Call Me By Your Name’ actor—aside from his shoes—in this Berluti tailoring styled with a Jaeger-LeCoultre timepiece. Does anyone else, though, have some pause about the slightly mismatched white shirt and creamier suit?

G-Easy: The rapper cut a cool profile in this Saint Laurent by Anthony Vaccarello monochromatic moment. I loved how he balanced that formality with the bracelets and socks-less slippers for a bit of rebellious style personality that was appropriate for the Vanity Fair party.

Daniel Kaluuya: The camel colour of this Brunello Cucinelli tuxedo jacket wasn’t my favourite, and I think the whole look suffered a bit in the fit. Tod’s shoes and Montblanc cufflinks accessorised the ensemble.

Common: He never fails to impress with his sleek sense of polish, as was again witnessed in this Armani tux. The darker, contrast labels added a richness of dimension here.

Mahershala Ali: I’m glad the jacket of this all-black Berluti look offered a velveteen texture to add some dimension to the monochromatic look.

Lakeith Stanfield: I was immediately captivated by this Ermenegildo Zegna Couture contrast-lapel tuxedo for its rich midnight-navy colour along with its impeccable fit and stylized components—like the decorative shirt buttons. The details are everything here.

Liam Hemsworth: Liam kept it classic and elegant in a black Burberry tux.

Wiz Khalifa
: I was very much applauding the rapper’s formal turn in this Dior Homme tuxedo that he wore so very well.

Ansel Elgort: The proportions of this Tom Ford look didn’t compute for me. The fit of both the velvet jacket—not to mention the clunky, oversized lapels—and baggy trousers was just odd.

Jon Hamm: Also in an Ermenegildo Zegna Couture tux, Jon didn’t seem so comfortable in this tailoring. But, the stiffness could have just been his pose.

Sebastian Stan: Velveteen treatments were clearly a big trend for the men at the Oscars, with Sebastian taking it a step further with the patterned, blue jacket of this Tom Ford tuxedo.

Garrett Hedlund: Maybe it was the mustache throwing me off, but this double-breasted Prada suit looked like the actor was getting ready for retro prom night.

Caleb Landry Jones: Shades always give a red-carpet look a bit of a nonconformist bent that went right along with the slightly rocker edge of this Saint Laurent slim-fitting suit.

Armie Hammer: A distinct richness of form permeated this Giorgio Armani Made to Measure bordeaux velvet two-button notch lapel evening suit—although I will always favour Armie in blue because it brings out his striking eyes.

Matt Bomer: I feel like this Giorgio Armani tux was a bit of a safe afterthought for Matt.

Mark Ronson: The satiny sheen effect of this Tom Ford teal jacket is a tricky sell for the red carpet as it shows a world of creasing sins.

Diplo: Mark upped his cuff game with this Giorgio Armani tux that took a body-con approach to tailoring as it was certainly closely fitted to his muscular form.

Edgar Ramirez: Edgar made sure to finish his traditional black tux with the added punch of Montblanc cufflinks.

Joe Manganiello: Joining Sofia Vergara at the Vanity Fair Party, Joe was fetching in a well-tailored Ermenegildo Zegna Made to Measure tuxedo.

Miles Teller & Keleigh Sperry: Dapper was the first word that came to mind when I saw Miles in this Valentino tux. It made a great union with Keleigh’s sizzling, sparkling Valentino Pre-Fall 2017 embellished gown.

Gael Garcia Bernal: The cuffs were too long and the sleeves too short of this Dior Homme tux, and it compromised the rest of the look.

Sam Heughan: The Scottish actor suited up in a Saint Laurent tux with Montblanc cufflinks to complete its sophisticated yet modern edge.

Chris Colfer: We didn’t see a lot of navy at the Oscars, but the colour served Chris well in this striking Brooks Brothers statement at Elton John’s party.

Credit: Getty

2018 Vanity Fair Oscar Party Red Carpet Roundup

2018 Vanity Fair Oscar Party Red Carpet Roundup

Models @ The Vanity Fair Oscar Party

Models @ The Vanity Fair Oscar Party

37 Responses to 2018 Oscars & Oscar Parties Menswear Roundup

1. Pheephee March 7, 2018 at 00:40 #

Tom Holland looks great in both. but esp the ‘aubergine’ suit for the party.
    They all look quite good actually. but I cant stand Timothees all white look. Its bad.

2. justme March 6, 2018 at 19:09 #

Chadwick… *deep sigh* MY KING!
    I haven’t been this enamored with a man’s style since Ryan Gosling that one year.

I love both Tom Holland’s suits, just not on him.

• Catherine Kallon March 8, 2018 at 14:27 #

I agree with the Ryan Gosling statement

3. elentarigirl March 6, 2018 at 18:03 #

I wish you gave Chadwick Boseman a separate post. He’s the only male celeb I’ve seen not wearing the male evening uniform ever and apparently the first to wear male couture according to his stylist. The only unique outfit.

The rest we’ve all seen a million times before and yes it includes the coloured tuxedos of both Timothee & Armie.

4. Viral March 6, 2018 at 14:29 #

I think James Ivory deserves to be featured too – he wore a special hand painted shirt featuring an image of Elio – it set him apart and he looked distinguished as ever!

• Paula March 6, 2018 at 21:17 #

5. Lyka March 6, 2018 at 14:28 #

Tom Holland is SO working the double breasted suit for a guy with a smaller stature. Both his looks really worked for me.

I’m annoyed Daniel Kaluuya’s team kinda phoned it in on this one? He’s a freakin’ best actor nominee, but Lakeith Stanfield’s tux just seemed more special and better tailored out of the two Get Out guys.

Surprised and impressed by Wiz. Honestly.

Forever a NO on all sockless suiting.

• elentarigirl March 6, 2018 at 18:10 #

I don’t get why men get praised for ‘pulling off’ a double breasted suit. If you’ve got a good figure like Tom that’s it. It’s still a uniform and dull as ever.

I wish he had worn the red suit throughout the ceremony. It’s still a basic suit in red but at least it’s something (very slightly) different.

6. Meme March 6, 2018 at 13:08 #

Chadwick is one handsome dude. Don’t think it’s possible for Common to ever look bad. Garett needs a new stylist STAT. Most of the men look quite dapper.

• elentarigirl March 6, 2018 at 18:06 #

Well we all know by now men don’t have the beguiling option of wearing whatever they please so they make far fewer mistakes. Utterly monotonous though.

7. Chris March 6, 2018 at 11:04 #

Chadwick(!) and Timothee are my favs. Tom’s looks are really nice as well.
    I’m also pretty intrigued by Sebastian’s look.

8. Lolly. March 6, 2018 at 10:58 #

Timothée is, in my opinion, the best dressed! I love everything about the ensemble! Tom Holland is my second with that beautiful aubergine suit!

9. Silvia March 6, 2018 at 10:54 #

Common, Chadwick and Tom looks so good. I’m developing a teen crush on Chadwick Boseman. The man is magnetic.

10. charlotte March 6, 2018 at 10:47 #

So many great looks,some I love the colors,Some I applaud the tailoring. It was really hard to pick one favorite.
    Also,Rachel dear, you seemed to mixed Mark Ronson with Diplo,the gentleman in teal tux is Mark Ronson whilst Diplo had the long cuffs

11. Denise March 6, 2018 at 10:18 #

Timothee (my prince!), Lakeith, chadwick, tom holland’s second look, armie, are my favorites here !

• Lolly. March 8, 2018 at 17:27 #

Some people don´t like his suit, but it was not boring! I almost choke when I first watched it. That´s how much I loved it.

12. Schoolbea March 6, 2018 at 09:29 #

Tom Holland slaying not once, but TWICE. I’m in awe. I didn’t think I could like a double-breasted suit that much, but man, does he have a presence to pull it off. His take on party dressing, with his slightly edgier hairstyle, is another winner.

Then Chadwick… May seem repetitive, but he’s amazing in these coats. Simply amazing. There’s something about the proportions and the statement he makes about men being able to rock embellishments that I find captivating.

I’ll say it again: I’m looking forward to menswear posts this season, learning to appreciate men’s fashion and loving it.

13. Maria F. March 6, 2018 at 08:43 #

wow, so many good looks.

While i like the classic tux like Common is wearing to perfection, my favourite is the burgendy suit that Tom Holland is wearing. Such a great colour and look for a party.

Chadwick looks great, but as Nat39 says, it feels a bit same.

Timothee – while i appreciate the cut of the suit, the cream colour with the black shoes is too much contrast for me and looks a bit customey. It would have been lovely in a different colour.

• Schoolbea March 6, 2018 at 09:31 #

I agree with you on Timothee. I would’ve enjoyed his look more without the stark contrast with the black shoes.

14. Miss H March 6, 2018 at 08:34 #

They’re all looking very dapper! The men brought it this year 🙂 Chadwick, Donald and Darren are my favourites.I do love a bit of velvet!

15. sam March 6, 2018 at 07:59 #

adam rippon deserves a separate post.

• Nat39 March 6, 2018 at 08:12 #

Not sure it’s for the right reasons. I applaud his individuality but one can express it in a more refined fashionable way, he’s failing here stylewise big time.

• charlotte March 6, 2018 at 10:43 #

His tux is ridiculous,and I’m not so surprised to find out it’s a Jeremy Scott design

• elentarigirl March 6, 2018 at 18:27 #

On one hand I agree with @Nat39 that there are better refined ways to be unique like Chadwick Boseman’s outfit. Adam’s outfit will certainly make a certain group of heterosexuals roll their eyes.

On the other I agree with @Viral that even the most gorgeous men like Matt Bomer are totally forgettable in their uniform of an outfit. Adam made headlines! Trashy is a much more fun than boring.

• Viral March 6, 2018 at 13:59 #

Yess! I do not see whats trashy about it. I think its certainly risque but no more than Angelina Jolie standing with the leg sticking out from under that slit up to there! how is that OK and this is trashy.

He looks great, he carries it with confidence and he actually has the right sense of humor to carry the look off. enough with boring ass suits

I mean even someone like Matt Bomer looks boring in that bland tux. aubergine suits are fun but I am glad someone went all the way there. time to shake up the staid Oscar ceremonies where nothing unexpected really ever happens!

I say Best Dressed Male ( and this is from someone who wanted Timothee Chalamet to win more than all the times I have wanted Meryl to win)

16. Alina March 6, 2018 at 07:46 #

Chadwick Boseman, Donald Glover, Lakeith Stanfield and Winston Duke.

17. Nat39 March 6, 2018 at 05:28 #

Another gorgeous look from Chadwick, the look does feel a bit repetitive (after he’s just done another all-black coat Givenchy), but I adore the embellishments on his coat and his choice of a more stylized sleeker shirt this time around, and that it’s not an expected tux look for the Oscars, he is staying true to his “Black Panther” character and keeps killing it. Tom’s double-breasted suit is sublime, if I were to nitpick I’d probably say that the overall look feels a bit too “old classic” for him, he’s young, he could’ve gotten away with more creative and stylish flair, but he did look great and refined, def. one of my faves.

• elentarigirl March 6, 2018 at 18:18 #

I agree that Chadwick’s outfit is similar to the one he’s worn before but wearing an outfit that’s not a tux to the Oscars is unique by itself imo and since there’s buzz around him at the moment people notice hopefully!

• Nat39 March 6, 2018 at 18:34 #

Oh yes, absolutely (!) major points for wearing something other than the expected Oscars tux attire. And I think I’m actually going to put this look (those embellishments, more stylish shirt.. oh yes) over his previous Givenchy coat outfit.

• elentarigirl March 6, 2018 at 18:48 #

I agree this look is better. As you said the shirt is more stylish and the lapel/length/embellishment make it look more like eveningwear. I like the shoes too. Overall it’s unique by default for not being a tuxedo every other man is wearing but also subdued because of the colour. It’s still not the level of couture I envision red carpet menswear to be but it’s like a foundation stone – hopefully we’re getting there.

• elentarigirl March 6, 2018 at 18:19 #

I agree about Tom though. It’s not just here but overall he dresses way too mature for his age on the red carpet. I think most British actors do dress more conservatively.

18. EmmaWoodhouse March 6, 2018 at 03:57 #

Many good looks!
    Tom, both times.

Sam and Liam are classic.

Ansel, Armie are looking good in velvet.

Sebastian’s blazer pops.

• Amanda F March 6, 2018 at 04:27 #

19. Miss Jeanett March 6, 2018 at 03:28 #

Sam Heughan, Armie Hammer and Timothée Chalamet ❤️❤️🙌🙌🙌🙌

20. JHH March 6, 2018 at 03:08 #

I think you have Diplo and Mark Ronson mixed up. Mark Ronson is wearing the teal jacket.

21. denise March 6, 2018 at 02:43 #

Tom, Chadwick and Lakeith are the best from this group.

• Lashae March 6, 2018 at 03:30 #