Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Jenny Packham – 2018 BAFTAs

All the attendees of the 2018 BAFTAs were encouraged to wear black as a stand against sexual assault, harassment and inequality in the entertainment industry.

The one person who didn’t wear black was Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.

Instead she opted to wear a Jenny Packham green dress styled with a black clutch and stunning emerald jewels which felt over-elaborate with this look.

So why didn’t she wear black?

The Duchess, like other members of the royal family, are supposed to remain strictly neutral with respect to any political campaign or movement, and are under pressure not to make political statements. Also, royal family members are also encouraged not to wear black unless they are attending a funeral or Remembrance Day.

You’ll be happy to learn that dark green is a colour that is closely associated with the Suffragettes, who used the colour to represent hope. So why she couldn’t make visual stand in this instant, perhaps she was making a subtle one.

Credit: Getty

Jennifer Lawrence In Christian Dior Couture - 2018 BAFTAs

Jennifer Lawrence In Christian Dior Couture – 2018 BAFTAs

Rachel Weisz In The Vampire's Wife - 2018 BAFTAs

Rachel Weisz In The Vampire’s Wife – 2018 BAFTAs

41 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Jenny Packham – 2018 BAFTAs

1. Kelly February 19, 2018 at 19:54 #

Zzzzzzzzzz. Kate Middleton rivals on Hailey Baldwin and Olivia Culpo in terms of fashion I couldn’t care less about.

2. SilentVisitor February 19, 2018 at 13:59 #

Black or no black, don’t really care; this is a super boring and meh look. That necklace which I am sure is expensive looks cheap and doesn’t go with her dress. no word for the makeup; I like her hair however.

3. AnnaP February 19, 2018 at 13:33 #

She’s worn black plenty of times as evening wear and not just in funeral situations. You only have to Google it. If she cannot side with women’s right not to be sexually abused or harassed, then that makes a huge statement about her.

• SilentVisitor February 19, 2018 at 17:13 #

Does it really matter if she sides with them? The movement is powerful, there is no need for Catherine to be involved because I don’t think her involvement would bring anything of value.

I think it would be more powerful for Michelle Obama or Melania Trump to be supportive (which I am sure they are) than Catherine.

4. Dea February 19, 2018 at 07:30 #

In my country women who are pregnant never wear black as it is a color associated with mourning. I don’t think I’ve seen Catherine wear an all black outfit during her pregnancies so I kinda assumed it’s the case in UK too.
    Anyway, the dress is simple, pretty and it suits her well. I like it, but the jewels were a touch overkill.
    She does her own makeup, btw (which is also what she did on her wedding day).

• Kelly February 19, 2018 at 19:51 #

Her makeup always looks horrible, she shouldn’t be proud about doing her own makeup. She needs to throw out that kohl eyeliner.

5. Alina February 19, 2018 at 06:24 #

The necklace is a big no for me.

6. Pratyush February 19, 2018 at 05:39 #

I am quite happy that she didn’t wear black… only because a lot of us were expecting (read demanding) that she did so.
    Part of these movements is to allow freedom of expression, and that includes the option of not going head to toe in black.

The black accents are just enough. Emeralds represent inspiration and infinite patience, it embodies unity, compassion and unconditional love.

Yes she plays it safe. And that too is perfectly fine.
    At the end of the day, she is the future Queen of England. Not a typical celebrity.

• Mimi February 19, 2018 at 15:17 #

I totally agree with what you said about freedom of expression. It doesn’t seem very feminist to me to force women to wear a certain color, and then cut them down when they don’t.

• MG February 19, 2018 at 16:54 #

• J February 19, 2018 at 17:50 #

I abhor group-think and being bullied into dressing a certain way. Wear what you want, ladies!

• Elle February 19, 2018 at 19:23 #

• Eva February 20, 2018 at 17:02 #

+3 Agree with all your points here!

7. EmmaWoodhouse February 19, 2018 at 04:15 #

She looks lovely. Objectively, would like the shade of the dress to be more emerald.
    I believe that she probably should have worn black–sexual harassment not being a political issue–but I don’t hold it against her for not wearing black. There are other ways to support the cause, but I do think this was a feasible one to do had she chosen to.

8. moonbeam February 19, 2018 at 04:03 #

This is yet another reason why the “royal” family is useless. They can’t even support a movement that’s about human decency? The royal family needs to be abolished as they don’t do much of anything and suck up taxpayer’s hard-earned money. Yea they do “charity” (photo ops planned by handlers), but only because it looks good and they need to do something to justify their continued existence.

• AnnaP February 19, 2018 at 13:35 #

I agree with you although I like Meghan Markle for other reasons.

• moonbeam February 19, 2018 at 23:09 #

I like Megan too.

9. brat February 19, 2018 at 03:57 #

I like her better for remaining firmly neutral. If she’d worn black she would be associated with times up. The Royals don’t do that. Typical Kate, she plays it safe.

10. VG February 19, 2018 at 02:11 #

Wearing black to a random event for no reason other than liking the gown is different to wearing black in support of a movemement started by the entertainment industry. It’s not tone deaf at all…she’s not allowed to make political statements and wearing black at this particular event was making a political statement.
    She looks nice regardless, plus it’s still a dark colour so it’s not like she stood amount amongst a sea of black gowns.

11. Kate February 19, 2018 at 01:55 #

I’m confused, because this is a movement not affiliated with any particular political ideology or party. And she wore an embellished black dress last year to this event, no?
    Regardless, love the jewels but I don’t think they work with this shade of green.

• Catherine Kallon February 19, 2018 at 02:22 #

Yes, she has worn black. As I said, they are encouraged not to wear black.

12. meme February 19, 2018 at 01:54 #

she’s the future Queen of England and looks lovely.

13. Athena February 19, 2018 at 01:47 #

She was going to be criticized either way, so I think this is a good compromise- a dark color, conservative dress, but not black. I really like the cut of the dress, it’s very flattering for her bump

• Mimi February 19, 2018 at 01:51 #

I agree with you 100%

• JHH February 19, 2018 at 02:42 #

• Blair February 19, 2018 at 02:43 #

• AnnieOh February 19, 2018 at 05:56 #

• Boy February 20, 2018 at 05:29 #

+5 totally

14. Nat February 19, 2018 at 01:37 #

She looks nice. I thought she was going to wear either a deep shade of blue or green.

15. Caroline February 19, 2018 at 01:26 #

Kinda boring and meh.

• Iva February 19, 2018 at 07:47 #

• LeeAnn February 19, 2018 at 14:13 #

She is always boring and meh

16. Mel February 19, 2018 at 01:18 #

She wears black all the time to events, it was tone deaf to show up in anything but black tonight. Green being associated with the Suffragettes is more then likely a coincidence.
    With that said, I think she looks nice. I dont care for the shade of green on her and the accessories are boring but the dress itself is very flattering. I also like how her hair is styled here, it seems different then her usual curls.

17. Lady Mila C. February 19, 2018 at 01:04 #

I could be wrong, but I remember seeing her wearing at least two black gowns before.

• Catherine Kallon February 19, 2018 at 01:05 #

She has. As I said, they are encouraged not to wear black. You never see the Queen wear black.

• Lady Mila C. February 19, 2018 at 01:15 #

Ok. I get it. 😉

18. Jasmine February 19, 2018 at 01:00 #

Great facts! Love the jewels, but the rest of the styling is a little aging.

19. J February 19, 2018 at 00:59 #

I’d rather her (and Meghan) do a bolder lip and understated eye.

20. Mimi February 19, 2018 at 00:53 #

Her makeup is so heavy handed and aging. She really doesn’t need that much. That necklace is gorgeous. Not a fan of the shade of green of this dress.

• Miss Jeanett February 19, 2018 at 03:04 #

I so agree. She (or her stylist) does make up on her like she’s 50. The dress is boring.

• LeeAnn February 19, 2018 at 14:15 #

Sweetie I’m 61 and wouldn’t wear make up like that . Why do people think as one gets older you dress badly ?