Menu

02.02.18

The Duke And Duchess Of Cambridge Visit To Norway – Day 1

After a second day in Sweden, the next leg of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s royal visit abroad took them to Oslo, Norway on Thursday (February 1).

Princess Ingrid Alexandra Sculpture Park: The Catherine Walker coat trend continued in full force for Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge with this beautiful blue rendition, the colour alone of which was so striking. The Lacorine faux fur hat contributed a richly warm and luxe form to echo the fur cuffs with Cornelia James gloves to round out the look.

‘MESH’ Workspace: Whilst visiting the workspace for start-up tech companies, Catherine continued the royal-blue theme with this Seraphine Maternity dress. I like the addition of the lace bodice and flutter sleeve for a feminine twist on her signature day dress.

Royal Palace Dinner: Those who weren’t so fond of her prior two Erdem floral dresses may find much more favour with this sweeping Alexander McQueen barely-blush gown that offered such a captivatingly romantic mood. I can just imagine the sweeping movement of those silky chiffon layers, with the sheer embellished cape only adding to the soft drama of this entrance. A Jimmy Choo ‘Celeste’ clutch completed the ensemble.

Credit: Getty

Hailee Steinfeld In Isabel Marant - ‘The Minefield Girl’ Audio Visual Book Launch

Hailee Steinfeld In Isabel Marant – ‘The Minefield Girl’ Audio Visual Book Launch

Who Wore Off-White Better? Pink or Camila Cabello?

Who Wore Off-White Better? Pink or Camila Cabello?

22 Responses to The Duke And Duchess Of Cambridge Visit To Norway – Day 1

1. kane February 3, 2018 at 22:27 #

I’ll go with matronly. That first look summarises my conundrum quite well: I should love this for the colour providing a modern twist on the classic theme of Russian tsarina or something but it’s just… shrugs shoulders… it’s FINE. Nothing really wrong here and yet not quite right. It doesn’t feel modern, it doesn’t feel classic, just a little unexciting.

2. Amanda February 2, 2018 at 19:41 #

I think this was a very good Kate day! I do wish she would quit glamourizing fur. I know the palace swears it’s fake but why wear so much of it every day? It’s outdated anyway.

3. Santiago February 2, 2018 at 19:39 #

I can only see a 50-year-old wardrobre.

4. Mimi February 2, 2018 at 18:00 #

I love the McQueen dress! I feel like this could be an iconic look for her.

5. meme February 2, 2018 at 17:07 #

LOVE the McQueen…she looks ethereal and lovely. I disagree that any of these looks are “aging.” She’s the future Queen of England and can’t be running around in trendy crazy clothes.

6. SilentVisitor February 2, 2018 at 12:13 #

I will save the coat from the first look. Her McQueen look is fine.

7. Schoolbea February 2, 2018 at 10:17 #

I certainly see your point when you say that these are quite matronly styles, but I honestly can’t see so many faults with her style. The coat is lovely, and although the hat is a bit OTT and some may see it as a bit passé, the overall effect is warm and youthful. The lace dress is dejá vu, I agree. And the gown, well, I keep thinking that she is pregnant and comfort goes first! Still, she has to attend these official events, so she tries to strike a balance. I don’t like the styling, personally, but the gown is perfectly suitable for a royal dinner.

I wonder is my view comes from the fact that I don’t follow her everyday outings that much… Likewise, you all seem to love Letizia’s style so much while here in Spain we criticize a lot her “fashionista” style… She has her admirers, of course, but with royals we’re inevitably judging not only the choice of clothing, but also the codes, the propriety, the limitations imposed on appearance that come with their position. Even if Catherine fails to excite me, I can see how her choices are often very appropriate, and maybe that’s why I am kinder in my criticism.

8. LeeAnn February 2, 2018 at 09:44 #

Hideous hideous and more hideous. How can this woman even bother McQueen to run up- she could have gone to her local mart. The others are her usual snooze fest. Why is she morphing into Camilla ?

9. Amy February 2, 2018 at 09:19 #

A slight improvement

10. Ann February 2, 2018 at 07:54 #

Love all those looks but especially the McQueen gown! Very regal and ethereal.
    Definitely worthy of BDOTW.

11. Alina February 2, 2018 at 06:49 #

Look 1: Extremely aging.

Look 2: Nice, while deja-vu.

Look 3: Beautiful dress, but I see the dress and then I see Catherine. It’s wearing her.

12. Amanda F February 2, 2018 at 04:51 #

She looks every bit a princess in the soft beautiful McQ gown

• Fiona-Brasil February 2, 2018 at 12:47 #

+ 1

13. Fee February 2, 2018 at 03:21 #

These looks are far too aging.

• Alice February 2, 2018 at 09:33 #

14. Mel February 2, 2018 at 02:10 #

Her style recently has been incredibly matronly. I feel like the McQueen will only win praise due to how awful all her other outfits have been. The gown itself is ill fitting and the neckline beneath the cape is unflattering. Also in other photos it looks like you can see her bra.

• Miss Jeanett February 2, 2018 at 02:27 #

• Camilla February 2, 2018 at 09:50 #

Matronly is the word. In hair, in the burka-level of coverage her formal outfits seem to have. She really does look best when she’s out on the sportier meet and greets.

As for these outfits, I disliked the Erdem dresses but this white evening dress is somehow even worse. White in floaty form just does not make a striking impact, and this look feels like what you might see at a (relatively classy) shotgun wedding in the 60s or 70s.

The blue of her Catherine Walker coat I don’t like, but then double down with the brown and I’m just repulsed. It feels so 90s.

The middle look is the nicest, because she shows skin, and those cuffs are cute. But it is groundhog day as far as the lace is concerned.

15. Jasmine February 2, 2018 at 01:09 #

LOVE the McQueen dress! The cape is everything. She is positively glowing.

16. EmmaWoodhouse February 2, 2018 at 01:06 #

Love how her Catherine Walker coat looks have been echoing Princess Di. This is a great one.
    The second look isn’t my favorite with the constrictive bodice but the Alexander McQueen is just gorgeous! So soft and lovely.

• Maria F. February 2, 2018 at 10:39 #