Menu

23.01.18

‘Le Bal Surrealiste’ Dior

The Christian Dior Spring 2018 Couture show featured an imaginative surrealist mood, and I can only imagine that continued in force at Le Bal Surrealiste Dior that was hosted afterwards on Monday (January 22) during Paris Fashion Week with Dior’s constant fans dressed to impress in the label.

Bella Hadid: Black has been Bella’s Paris Fashion Week colour, and this sheer frock continued that trend whilst working right in line with Bella’s provocative style. I like the romantic, off-the-shoulder silhouetted and embellishment, which I feel brings a bit more composure to the see-through look. A ‘Lady Dior’ quilted bag and Dior shoes completed the picture, with a sculptural hairstyle to play to the party theme.

Gemma Arterton: Gemma balanced her sleek ’do and power red lip with the girlish sophistication of this sparkling, tea-length dress that was ladylike in silhouette yet dazzling in sequin embellishment.

Annabelle Wallis: It looks as if the fashion house’s logo briefs are back in action with this sheer corset gown. I was grateful for the chic moto jacket to bring some edge to the sultry, borrowed-from-the-boudoir look.

Jhene Aiko: Sheer was certainly the trend of the night, and Jhene wore her version via a Dior Spring 2018 design that actually worked in reverse—meaning, the tulle, point d’espirit slip-like skirt acted as a light layer of more conservative covering to the glittery, textured micro mini below it.

Big Sean: This Dior Homme suit was strikingly handsome for its stark black and white contrast.

Haley Bennett: I couldn’t get on board with this gown—the colour fell flat for me, and the logo briefs underneath were an unwanted distraction.

Sasha Pivovarova: I do like that Sasha fully committed to her artsy, surrealistic look with the mask and embroidered Dior Spring 2018 dress, but that will not warm my affection to the fully transparent skirt and briefs—even in this more costume-y look.

Winnie Harlow: I found this Dior Spring 2018 gown to be intriguing, with the emerald-green colour lovely on the model and the striped briefs an interesting contrast.

Credit: Getty

Elle Fanning In Miu Miu - 'I Think We're Alone Now' Sundance Film Festival Premiere

Elle Fanning In Miu Miu – ‘I Think We’re Alone Now’ Sundance Film Festival Premiere

Rosa Salazar In Vivetta - 'The Kindergarten Teacher' Sundance Film Festival Premiere

Rosa Salazar In Vivetta – ‘The Kindergarten Teacher’ Sundance Film Festival Premiere

20 Responses to ‘Le Bal Surrealiste’ Dior

1. Giada January 25, 2018 at 08:47 #

There is not one outfit I would even consider wearing. They’re all awful.

2. TeaAtTwo January 24, 2018 at 08:40 #

Dior has become so one note.

3. Alina January 24, 2018 at 06:50 #

No one.

4. Schoolbea January 23, 2018 at 21:28 #

Gemma looks lovely, the colour scheme of the dress really suits her, and her careful styling makes it a winner.

Quite a lot of horrid looks around her, though… Hayley Bennet particularly finds herself in one very unflattering mess.

5. Mimi January 23, 2018 at 17:24 #

I really like Jhene and Gemma here. But as a whole, I really dislike Dior.

6. Maria F. January 23, 2018 at 17:10 #

Gemma looks great and I really like the jacket on Annabelle, but not the pairing with the tiresome see through dress. Is it me or has Dior made the same dress for the last 3 years?

7. Vizual Ninja January 23, 2018 at 16:44 #

Gemma is the best here…Winnie’ look would’ve been awesome if it was lined.

8. JHH January 23, 2018 at 16:27 #

Gemma Atherton and Big Sean look good. All of the rest are horrible. I give up on Dior.

9. Susie January 23, 2018 at 16:12 #

Gemma looks lovely! I’ll just pretend to ignore the logos on the straps.

10. Fanny January 23, 2018 at 16:08 #

Gemma and Winnie.

11. EmmaWoodhouse January 23, 2018 at 16:00 #

*Kylo Ren voice* “Let the past die. Kill it, if you have to.” – my feelings about the Dior logo underwear

Pretty sure Annabelle’s look was previously worn by Rose Leslie.
    The only look here I like is Gemma’s; she looks great.

• Giada January 25, 2018 at 08:46 #

12. Caroline January 23, 2018 at 15:29 #

Bella is the definition of try hard. Sick of the sheer Dior dresses too. I only like Gemma.

13. Marie January 23, 2018 at 15:24 #

I only really like Gemma, which might be because I’m biased towards her, but it could also be because she’s literally the only one in this line-up not wearing a ridiculous sheer gown. Also, the colours are nice.

Jhene and Winnie get a pass for not sporting those ridiculous logo-panties, but their sheer overlay-ish skirts look equally unnecessary and distracting.
    Then comes the big no-category of people who think writing ‘Dior’ on something automatically makes it cool and appropriate to put on display.
    And then there is Bella, who just looks like a mess. Sorry, but nothing about this dress makes sense and her hairstyle looks ridiculous. It’s like she’s not even trying.

14. Pheephee January 23, 2018 at 15:18 #

Ahhh!! Seeing the SAG award dresses I thought sheer is finally done. This is so disappointing.
    The sheer dresses and logo undies are plain ugly.
    I was gonna say Gemma but her straps are logo.
    Sooo no-one.

15. Fiona-Brasil January 23, 2018 at 15:12 #

I love Gemma!Annabelle doesn’t look bad either, just forget about the rest!

16. Iva January 23, 2018 at 15:12 #

I kinda like Gemma.

17. Charlotte January 23, 2018 at 15:03 #

Too much sheer dresses!

18. meme January 23, 2018 at 15:03 #

all of it hideous. why doesn’t Dior design sheer suits for men?

• Louise January 23, 2018 at 22:29 #

You just don’t understand. All this sheer over giant branded panties is totally F E M I N I S M. Women are all whimsy and floaty delicate butterflies covered in moons (for female energy), and they all look like 12 year old waifs for ever, and Churi has just been meticulously returning them to their natural state. All that empowerment and embracing of the womanly from OLD Dior was such a masculine perspective. Obviously.