Menu
Betty Gabriel In Phuong My - 2018 SAG Awards

Betty Gabriel In Phuong My – 2018 SAG Awards

2018 SAG Awards Red Carpet Roundup

2018 SAG Awards Red Carpet Roundup

23 Responses to Schiaparelli Spring 2018 Couture Red Carpet Wish List

1. Kimma January 24, 2018 at 02:53 #

The first look should be seen on no one ever. Ever.

Miley and Gwendoline looks are indeed spot on.

2. EmmaWoodhouse January 22, 2018 at 20:22 #

The Miley pick is so spot-on. I don’t love a lot of the dresses but I do agree that the Andrea dress would be PERFECTIon for the Met!

3. Mimi January 22, 2018 at 17:53 #

Love the picks for Miley and Reese. Reese would look stunning in that color.

4. Leandra January 22, 2018 at 16:13 #

With all respects, because I know it’s a game and I like your work Mr.Monks, the suggestion of that somehow “tribal” look for Lupita is not only formulaic, it has a hint of (unintended) discourtesy. All my black friends, without any exception, really hate those connotations. They are urban, with urban roots.

• Leandra January 22, 2018 at 16:16 #

Love the pick for Brie nonetheless. And it’s always a pleasure to read your posts. Hopefully the amount of confusion my comment could eventually cause will only be justified by the amount of rebellious pleasure I get out of it.

• meme January 22, 2018 at 16:32 #

I just think the dress is fugly. You’ve been here longer than I, so who is Mr. Monks?

• Leandra January 22, 2018 at 16:38 #

Monks is the author of the post. Im uneasy with the frequent association of folkloric things for POC.

• Evita January 22, 2018 at 16:48 #

Sorry to butt in because I understand where you’re coming from but the “tribal look” is something that Lupita has embraced on numerous occasions like when she was promoting Queen of Katwe and for her September 2016 Vogue photoshoot. This look for her to promote Black Panther or some other project is every bit as “formulaic” as Gal Gadot’s Altuzarra look for the Justice League premiere or the Givenchy look for the Wonder Woman premiere.

• Leandra January 22, 2018 at 17:32 #

I respect your opinion but the allusion of Vogue’s shots made me frown. Vogue is well known for appealing in an (almost) abusive way for stereotypes of beauty and cultures and not encompassing a very diversified and enchanting cultural panorama that its lectors would expect.
        Vogue Italia ALWAYS displayed POC in folkloric ways when F. Sozanni was the director and she used the backlash as a way to promote the magazine.

• Thomas Monks January 22, 2018 at 17:46 #

I can understand where your argument has come from. The decision to picking that for Lupita did come from thinking about her past. The use of the rich color on the hems also played a huge role. Had it been in all white, green, blue, any color it wouldn’t have caught my eye. But like Evita said this “formulaic” choice has been something that Lupita has embraced in the past and based on that and the rich use of color was my reasoning in picking it.

• Leandra January 22, 2018 at 18:14 #

I thought about her past decisions too but I can only think she was somehow naively following the “scheme of things”. Great post anyway. I’ll be here expecting for more 🙂

5. meme January 22, 2018 at 15:22 #

Love the picks for Mandy, Kiernan and Brie. Don’t like the pick for Danai at all. That blouse is atrocious.

6. Maya January 22, 2018 at 15:13 #

That very last dress (the Andrea Riseborough pick) would be a slam dunk for the Met Gala, wouldn’t it?

• Thomas Monks January 22, 2018 at 15:17 #

That was my immediate thought! #CouturePopeEleganza

• meme January 22, 2018 at 15:23 #

Yep, if the theme was Star Wars LOL

• Maya January 22, 2018 at 15:28 #

Since the theme is fashion and Catholicism, I think the hood would work as a reference to the fact that (from what I’ve seen) the Virgin Mary is frequently portrayed wearing a white head covering 🙂

• meme January 22, 2018 at 17:12 #

I didn’t know that was the theme and shudder to think what some of the women will wear. That said, you’re right, it is a good choice.

• Leandra January 22, 2018 at 17:36 #

Expect Madonna is something “like a virgin”.

• Leandra January 22, 2018 at 17:36 #

*in

• Maria F. January 22, 2018 at 19:07 #

🙂

• Giada January 22, 2018 at 23:46 #

LMAO.

On a serious note, I’m hoping to see hints of the sacred heart symbol. It has a special meaning to me. Maybe on some pieces of Dolce and Gabbana, McQueen and Christian Lacroix.

• Schoolbea January 23, 2018 at 09:45 #

I expect a lot of D&G too.

7. Evita January 22, 2018 at 15:02 #