Menu

18.01.18

Queen Maxima Of The Netherlands Opens Bio Fair In Zwolle

Queen Maxima of The Netherlands opened the bio Fair in Zwolle, Netherlands on Wednesday (January 17) with a flourish of colouful style.

Natan is a Belgium-based label she’s favoured before for public appearances, and she continued the trend with this dress that married a classic, conservative silhouette with the glamour of its rich emerald-green hue.

I’m always drawn to electric blue, so I loved the sapphire nature of this Natan woven coat here—just perhaps not worn together with the dress.

Suede-and-PVC pumps matched the hat to bring unity to the alternate shade of forest-green that was introduced to the ensemble.

What did you make of her jewel-tone entry?

Credit: Getty

Elsa Pataky In Dolce & Gabbana - '12 Strong' World Premiere

Elsa Pataky In Dolce & Gabbana – ’12 Strong’ World Premiere

Front Row @ Valentino Fall 2018 Menswear Paris Fashion Week

Front Row @ Valentino Fall 2018 Menswear Paris Fashion Week

27 Responses to Queen Maxima Of The Netherlands Opens Bio Fair In Zwolle

1. Boy January 19, 2018 at 03:25 #

I don’t get the universal praise for her style. Kudos for using bold color, and having fun I guess, but the overall feel I get from the majority of her looks is dated.

• Giada January 19, 2018 at 08:33 #

I agree. I like certain elements from this outfit (as earlier stated), but the overall look and feel is dated. Combining separate pieces and accessorizing has always been Máxima’s weakness. It’s always too much in general and more often than not it ends up looking dated, mismatched and/or gaudy. I also like this type of hat on her, but she also favours, what we jokingly call “de badmuts”. A type of retro inspired fascinator. It’s awful.

2. EmmaWoodhouse January 18, 2018 at 23:31 #

I love how vibrant this is, even though it’s kind of loud, that’s her thing!

3. Kimma January 18, 2018 at 22:33 #

I’d keep the hat and shoes and scrap everything else here. Its all very dated.

4. CreoleLady January 18, 2018 at 22:17 #

Love, love, LOVE. I have never believed in the old rhyme “blue and green should never be seen”. Want. Those. Heels. And the coat. And the hat. And the dress.. Ok, I’ll stop now.

5. kane January 18, 2018 at 22:13 #

All I love about this is how the colours of the coat and the dress play with each other. Otherwise it’s just too much, and yet quite put together as far as Max goes.

• Amanda F January 19, 2018 at 05:11 #

agreed!

6. Schoolbea January 18, 2018 at 20:01 #

Nope. The textures and colours clash, and the fabric of the dress makes it look so dated.

7. vicky January 18, 2018 at 19:39 #

The accessories and the dress fabric ruins it, but she brightens up my gray and gloomy day with these colors.

• vicky January 18, 2018 at 21:02 #

*grey

8. Marie January 18, 2018 at 19:31 #

I think… she didn’t really commit to the look. In general, I think the colour-combo has potential and is cool and fashion-forward and all, but… The earrings, the gloves, the timepiece, that ugly little clutch, and lets not forget that glittery butterfly (what the hell is that horrid thing even doing there?). They really, really bring the look down as a while. I think the hat might’ve worked, but with a more minimalistic styling this would’ve looked so much more refined and regal.
    Also, very hard fabric to pull off.
    Either way, she definitely gets bonus points for effort from me.

9. JHH January 18, 2018 at 18:33 #

The Queen of Belgium loves color and flash. I am not made at her about that. I wish more people who I see on the red carpet loved color. But for this outfit, I think where she went wrong was combining the tones of green with the blue coat. I love the color of the coat and it could have worked with the dress but adding in the different greens with the hat and shoes and all the different textures of each part spoiled. Either go for the tonal greens and a neutral or green coat coat or go for the bold coat and neutral shoes, etc. Oh well, this is still pretty good if you love color.

• Pheephee January 18, 2018 at 19:44 #

+1 Yup, for me its also the combining of different greens that didn’t work. I find this all quite a mess.
      I do love the jacket on its own though.

• kane January 18, 2018 at 22:15 #

The Queen of Belgium (Mathilde) tends to be more restraint, despite also being a big lover of Natan.

• JHH January 19, 2018 at 01:00 #

Oops, thanks for catching my typo.

10. Maria F. January 18, 2018 at 18:10 #

I think more than the colour combination, I do not like the different textures in the ensemble.

She also dresses a bit matronly or over the top for me.

11. Lee Ann January 18, 2018 at 17:49 #

Individually the coat,dress,shoes,bag and broach are perfectly fine but together it’s horrible. Too many bright colours that clash badly, too many textures-suede with silk satin, too many shades of green that do not work together . Plus it’s a little short .

12. Giada January 18, 2018 at 17:34 #

She looks great in the emerald. She always look fantastic in rich colours and big hats. Flamboyant really describes her well so this look fits her to a T. I also like the earrings. And the up-do looks very polished and regal.

That being said, I really dislike Natan. Belgian princess Mathilde favours him too and I think he’s so overrated. He has his trademark called “de Natan plooien” translated as “the Natan pleats”, which he uses in skirts and dressed. And it’s so unflattering. It only looks good when somebody doesn’t move. In motion it starts to pull. His designs in general have a really awkward fit.

Close-up of the dress and info about the pleats:

• Giada January 18, 2018 at 17:35 #

*dresses not dressed, sorry

• Arvid January 18, 2018 at 18:09 #

I liked the pleats in that one light cream dress, but overall those shirts have such a wrinkly, fattening effect.

• Arvid January 18, 2018 at 18:10 #

*skirts, not shirts

• Giada January 18, 2018 at 19:01 #

Right? Those pleats always add pounds. And she really has quite a lean physique.

At the Dutch Design Week there was an exhibition of the blue and red dress by Jan Taminiau she wore at the inauguration of Willem-Alexander. I saw the dresses up close. The waist size in both dresses was absolutely tiny.

For fun, google “new york maxima hillary clinton red”. If I remember correctly, that was Natan as well.

13. Jerusa January 18, 2018 at 17:31 #

The fabric of the dress is too shiny for my taste, I think it looks dated.

• Jerusa January 18, 2018 at 17:32 #

Ops! I liked the coat, it’s very pretty!

14. Vizual Ninja January 18, 2018 at 17:29 #

I like this, I think it’s the shade of the hat & pumps that throws off the look in combination with the coat but the blue and emerald green colour of the dress look great together to me.

15. Caroline January 18, 2018 at 17:26 #