Menu

03.01.18

Golden Globes 2018: Black Dress Code

You may think RCFA is going into meltdown with the Golden Globe Awards black dress code on Sunday, but without trivialising the issue, I’m very intrigued to see the levels of creativity that will be presented.

We’ve had plenty of black magic moments at the Globes, so will statement jewelry play big part in the look like Sofia Vergara, Emma Roberts and Jessica Chastain.

Will the dress speak for itself like Lady Gaga, Allison Williams and Kristen Wiig, or will embellishments take center stage like Nicole Kidman?

To read why celebrities are opting to go all black, read this article from The Hollywood Reporter.

Daisy Ridley's Gabriela Hearst Checked Blazer & Trousers

Daisy Ridley’s Gabriela Hearst Checked Blazer & Trousers

Gal Gadot In Oscar de la Renta - Variety's Creative Impact Awards And 10 Directors To Watch

Gal Gadot In Oscar de la Renta – Variety’s Creative Impact Awards And 10 Directors To Watch

47 Responses to Golden Globes 2018: Black Dress Code

1. Zainab January 4, 2018 at 15:38 #

I’m really excited about the black dress code. Looking forward to see how creative the ladies get. I laso hope it extends to men as well in showing their support. Anyway, I’m still waiting for this beauty to make an entrance:

• meme January 4, 2018 at 15:58 #

another naked dress. women need to stop wearing naked dresses.

• Nat39 January 4, 2018 at 16:06 #

What a stunning gown!! But seriously, what’s the point of the protest if it’s all sheer, etc… again. A little black dress can be sexier than anything lol. Now, if they were all to wear uniforms…

• Zainab January 4, 2018 at 17:10 #

Women should be able to wear whatever they want. Wearing sheer doesn’t mean you can’t ask for wage equality and equal rights.

• Nat39 January 4, 2018 at 17:41 #

And I agree with you. What I’m trying to say is that this whole protest through “black clothing” doesn’t really make much sense to me.

• Nat39 January 4, 2018 at 17:57 #

…you wrote “Wearing sheer doesn’t mean….” Well, you can insert “wearing *red/blue or green or whatever bold print/color doesn’t mean…and so on” here. The idea of something like wearing a pin to show solidarity as suggested below is more correct in my eyes.

• Zainab January 4, 2018 at 19:28 #

It’s simply a form of protest just like wearing a pin is. I only like it because I want to see how creative the actresses will get. Wearing black at the red carpet doesn’t have to be boring.

• meme January 4, 2018 at 17:59 #

Of course they can wear what they want but I think sheer dresses have been taken way too far because some of them barely cover anything. I find that vulgar and I think a lot of other people do too. Men don’t walk around nearly naked so why should women?

• Zainab January 4, 2018 at 19:25 #

There’s a difference between a vulgar naked sheer and a beautifully embroidered Elie Saab couture piece.

• Meme January 5, 2018 at 10:29 #

And that beautifully embroidered dress can be lined so no one can see the undergarments.

2. meme January 4, 2018 at 15:06 #

I applaud the cause but I think the black dress code is rather silly. The color of your dress has nothing to do with anything. Are they all going to wear black to the Oscars? I don’t see actresses wearing black to the major film critics awards. I’ll look out for the “rebels” who wear color.

• Nat39 January 4, 2018 at 15:23 #

The protest through wearing black doesn’t make much sense to me either, to be honest. It’s not like women are going to show up w/o their hair/makeup done, sans jewellery, or figure-accenting silhouettes..

• Maria F. January 4, 2018 at 15:36 #

• Christine January 4, 2018 at 22:07 #

Lol agreed. I don’t see the point but kudos I guess. Solidarity is speaking up for the women and sexual harassment in Hollywood. Not a dress color.

3. Chris January 4, 2018 at 14:31 #

I imagined that everyone would follow the dress code, but I just read that it is rumoured that some actresses, including Sarah Jessica Parker and Alicia Vikander, might do their own thing and wear colour. It will also be interesting to see who *doesn’t* follow the dress code and what the reaction to that will be.

4. kikok January 4, 2018 at 13:33 #

LOL almost all the men at every award event have been wearing black even before the red carpet started. What have they been protesting?

• kikok January 4, 2018 at 13:47 #

Why is so much importance given to women’s clothing? It’s strange isn’t it? All the symbolism and what not while men just ‘get on with it’.

Actually women probably should wear dull drab sexless outfits and the men in vivbrant interesting sexy outfits at least this year 🙂

5. Soho January 4, 2018 at 13:15 #

I wish everyone wore black. It;s really hard to imagine that in this big bad world of Hollywood, men aren’t harassed, sexually mistreated. And the fact that not too many have spoken about it indicates its harder for men to speak about it. Yes, the numbers might be more when it comes to harassment the other way round, but when did that stop us from making noise about it. This cause would have meant so much more if it was ‘against sexual harassment’ rather than sexual harassment of women by men.

6. jd January 4, 2018 at 10:47 #

Omg you’re back! I’m seriously emotional right now. You don’t know how much I loved LOVED this site. It was my #1 go-to site on the internet before your hiatus. I realize there are more grave matters being discussed in this thread, so I apologize for butting in so awkwardly … but THANK YOU for coming back!!!!

• Catherine Kallon January 4, 2018 at 15:53 #

Hey JD, thank you for coming back too. So good to hear from you. I have been back for a year now

7. Leandra January 4, 2018 at 07:51 #

I honestly think that in this circumstance, worse than colour would be the princess silhouette. It feels wrong for a 21-century working woman who is fighting for equal rights.

8. EmmaWoodhouse January 4, 2018 at 05:18 #

Women have a right to protest this however they see fit…I definitely respect those who choose black in solidarity. I also think it’s very important that if women choose to express themselves in a different way, that’s good too. There’s no single voice, and women don’t *owe* a certain type of explanation to anyone.
    Regardless, I definitely believe that it is for the good to still take joy in the wonder of fashion/art even in dark times. We can be both.

So here’s to some creative black looks and more!

• Alina January 4, 2018 at 06:24 #

Perfectly said.

• The original AB January 4, 2018 at 12:29 #

• from-chitown January 4, 2018 at 16:23 #

Perfectly put.

• Lashae January 5, 2018 at 00:33 #

ita

9. Grace January 4, 2018 at 04:11 #

I hope every single women wears black. What a statement that will be.

10. Crystalline January 4, 2018 at 02:33 #

I hope to see this on Sunday’s GG red carpet…

• Catherine Kallon January 4, 2018 at 10:43 #

wow…yes

• meme January 4, 2018 at 15:10 #

Yes. I’m not a Monse fan but this is stunning.

• Alina January 5, 2018 at 08:19 #

Wow. Emma Watson is attending. She would rock this.

• Crystalline January 5, 2018 at 11:51 #

Emma Watson or Diane Kruger will be great in this jumpsuit.

11. Maria S January 4, 2018 at 01:56 #

I am sorry to say that I have hoped that not only would they wear black, but that the actresses would wear almost identical dresses. This issue is important, no more “who are you wearing” questions, no more silly gossip…

• meme January 4, 2018 at 15:08 #

Considering this is a fashion website, I certainly do want to know “who are you wearing?” and if I were a designer, I’d want the actress to say I made her dress. Doesn’t mean they can’t be asked anything else.

12. kate January 4, 2018 at 01:27 #

it’s going to look like a funeral and you know what? i love it. hollywood should be mourning everything we’ve come to know in the past year. i hope this is the year where things will begin to change in the industry, though.

that being said, i hope stylists are creative in the shoes/jewelry department.

13. Mimi January 4, 2018 at 00:29 #

This is so disappointing for me. I mean the cause is great, but I wish they wore a pin or something instead.

• moonbeam January 4, 2018 at 01:12 #

I agree.

• Maria F. January 4, 2018 at 08:28 #

I agree too. Out of pure selfish reasons, as I love red carpet fashion and the Golden Globes are always a highlight. But I also feel that expressing a protest through fashion is reducing the female population back to looks. Why can I not be taken seriously and paying attention to a problem through bright coloured clothes? Having said that, I respect the protest and will be curious to see how it plays out.

• meme January 4, 2018 at 15:09 #

I agree.

14. CreoleLady January 3, 2018 at 23:15 #

Lol, love the humor of that first sentence. The prospect of black, black and more black. Normally something I would eyeroll but in this case, the cause is worthy. It may make for some interesting visuals. Thanks for the links to info about the whys and wherefores.

15. Nat39 January 3, 2018 at 22:34 #

“I’m very intrigued to see the levels of creativity that will be presented” – Exactly! My instant thoughts as well 🙂 Choosing Best Dressed can actually be quite interesting – it will be more in the styling and subtleties. My prediction – we are going to see some suits/tuxes.

Also, I like that the post didn’t go too much into discussing the reasons. I’m coming to this site to receive an unaffected dose of fashion. So, kudos, Catherine!!

16. Dana January 3, 2018 at 22:10 #

Thanks for this post, FC. I have been curious as to your take since I heard about the dress code. I think it will be a powerful statement for the attendees to wear black, and I hope all (or most) participate. I am also looking forward to seeing how individual attendees make themselves standout in the sea of black. I am very much looking forward to Sunday!

17. Arwa January 3, 2018 at 21:45 #

My apologies, though I do believe fashion is not “just fashion” as an isolated abstracted subject. Fashion is related to politics, economics, our social life. Though it appears as a superficial commodity, in fact it is how we mainly reflect our selves to the world. I know people usually say its only a piece of clothing, yes it is, but says a lot about the person who wear it. And yes, we should not take this fashion “critiquing” very seriously, at the same time just because we all here care about fashion, it doesn’t mean that we should discard other issues, because: “it’s just fashion”.

18. Arwa January 3, 2018 at 21:03 #

So women choosing to protest sexual misconduct through wearing black, yet your main concern is whether it will be interesting enough or not? You didn’t even mention the reason why they chose this “black dress code” thing. That’s sad.

• Chris January 3, 2018 at 21:17 #

I mean, this is a fashion website, so of course the point of discussion here is going to be…the fashion of it all. I mean, I actually get your concern and that you think the reason for the dress code should at least have been mentioned somewhere (I mean, at least there is a link to an article with more information), all I’m saying is, let’s also not overreact over a fashion website discussing..fashion…

• Catherine Kallon January 3, 2018 at 21:24 #

Arwa, I have said in the post – without trivialising the issue – of which is highlighted, because the issue is very important.

There is also a link going the Hollywood Reporter article which is all about the reason for the black dress code.

I will highlight the article again to make it clearer.

This is a fashion website and I don’t want to readers to assume because I love colour, that I’m going to immediately dismiss this protest.

• Arwa January 3, 2018 at 21:45 #