Menu

Cate Blanchett In Alexander McQueen – London Evening Standard Theatre Awards

Cate Blanchett made a return to the red carpet for the London Evening Standard Theatre Awards on Sunday (December 3).

There have been mixed feelings on Cate’s last few outings, but I’m confident this Alexander McQueen Resort 2018 gown will get a resounding thumbs up.

I love the warm feeling I get from this two-piece wool and taffeta outfit.

Not only because of the intriguing embellishment, but also for the fable, fairytale, fantasy feeling despite the modernity of the look.

So relaxed and effortless, yet glamorous to live up to the occasion.

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

Thandie Newton's Dolce & Gabbana Wool-Blend Coat

Thandie Newton’s Dolce & Gabbana Wool-Blend Coat

Kerry Washington In Giambattista Valli Couture - 2018 Breakthrough Prize

Kerry Washington In Giambattista Valli Couture – 2018 Breakthrough Prize

29 Responses to Cate Blanchett In Alexander McQueen – London Evening Standard Theatre Awards

1. TeaAtTwo December 7, 2017 at 19:10 #

The skirt doesn’t look as messy as J-Law’s version and the beading/embroidery is nice.

2. argentina December 6, 2017 at 16:28 #

I had mixed feelings with Jennifers version already, althought the colour and the top being different are giving me a much different vibe.
    Cate is rocking the hue, looks wonderfull on her, and the embroidery looks really good with the pink. From the waist up this is a total win (would really like this as a LPD) but the skirt, which was already hard to digest on Jennifers outing looks for me even worse in pink. It went from galm trash bag in black to old recycled grandma courtain (plus the lighting is not helping, it looks better on the lookbook).
    Cate is a stylish goddes and she is rocking the whole thing, but that skirt, please, make it stop.

3. Amy December 5, 2017 at 16:25 #

The skirt is not doing it for me. Sorry. I like the top part

4. Mimi December 4, 2017 at 21:17 #

Divine

5. vicky December 4, 2017 at 18:42 #

Don’t like the skirt and I feel it would suit a brunette better. Slightly one toned on blondes

6. Alina December 4, 2017 at 18:32 #

From the waist up, it’s OK. The skirt is a disaster. I miss Alexander McQueen.

7. Fiona-Brasil December 4, 2017 at 18:30 #

This dress would be funny for a 18 years old girl, obviously not Cate!

8. Susie December 4, 2017 at 18:00 #

Good dress in concept but not execution. The fit isn’t flattering to Cate around the hips and the skirt is a mess.

9. Pheephee December 4, 2017 at 17:36 #

O no. this is terrible! The froufrou skirt is all wrong for her and looks really cheap.
    I hate the spilt croptop part of it. It should at least be one piece. I also don’t think its right for Cate.
    This is bad.

• Carla December 5, 2017 at 00:20 #

Agree completely. This looks frumpy

10. Nicola December 4, 2017 at 15:14 #

I LOVE THIS. Caps fully intended.

Great Cate indeed.

11. Megs222 December 4, 2017 at 15:03 #

I’m not sold on the skirt but I love the top! Like, I need that sweater in my life!

12. Caroline December 4, 2017 at 14:41 #

No. Not even for Cate. This is just not wearable. Awful and ridiculous.

13. meme December 4, 2017 at 14:39 #

I love this. This is something AM himself could have designed. The Great Cate at her best.

14. charlotte December 4, 2017 at 13:43 #

Newp….Not even the might Cate can sell this to me

15. Chris December 4, 2017 at 13:19 #

I’m again going to be in the minority and say I really like it.

• Giada December 4, 2017 at 17:16 #

You traitor!

Just kidding 😉 .

• Boy December 4, 2017 at 17:16 #

Me too.

• Giada December 4, 2017 at 17:32 #

Tssk! Tssk!

16. Leandra December 4, 2017 at 13:12 #

One of her worst outings. Ever. A taffeta nightmare.

17. Evita December 4, 2017 at 13:06 #

I don’t like that shade of pink on Cate and I think it cheapens the embroidery.I like that she went for something warm and cosy but I have the same issue with this look as I did with Jennifer’s-the top and the skirt feel so disconnected and I hate the fabric of the skirt.I’m not crazy about this.

18. CreoleLady December 4, 2017 at 12:31 #

Just left Kiera Knightley’s cotton candy-ish look and Kerry Washington’s twee-ish Valli. And now Cate Blanchett in a part ruffled, part flowered pink franken-dress? This is McQueen? My unedited response when I first saw this was “eeewwwwww”. No. Not even Cate.

19. Lashae December 4, 2017 at 12:02 #

I would’ve never thought this was Alexander McQueen (maybe Gucci) if you didn’t tell us who designed this dress.

The dress is not…flattering on Cate nor the model, the bottom is worst part of the gown.

• JHH December 4, 2017 at 15:31 #

20. SilentVisitor December 4, 2017 at 11:56 #

Not sold…too similar to Jennifer Lawrence’s recent McQueen look. The top is different but the bulky skirt is the same even though the color is different

21. Martin December 4, 2017 at 11:49 #

I want so much to love this. It does have a lot going for it – Cate’s hair and makeup is flawless, the embroidery on wool is stunning and the concept is an interesting one – but that drop-waist, deflated taffeta skirt brings it down to earth with a thud.

Jennifer Lawrence wore a similar skirt from the same collection a couple of weeks ago and I had the same reaction. It’s a shame, because otherwise Cate looks radiant.

• Giada December 4, 2017 at 13:05 #

+1 Not liking the skirt at all.

22. Maria F. December 4, 2017 at 11:43 #

i love this so much, especially the the top is woolen.

I start thinking that i might just wanted the skirt to be only taffeta, but then i see the intricate wool part and then I like it just the way it is.

I also think that the skirt resembles curtains, but then I look at it again and just love it the way it is.

So basically my head says ‘yeah kind of’, but my heart says ‘YES. because it’s Xmas.’

23. Iva December 4, 2017 at 11:42 #