Menu

01.12.17 Menswear

An Evening Honoring Louis Vuitton and Nicolas Ghesquière

‘An Evening Honoring’… an annual fundraising event for the Lincoln Center Corporate Fund, paid tribute to Louis Vuitton Artistic Director Nicolas Ghesquière with ‘The Women’s Leadership Award’ on Thursday (November 30) in New York City.

The award was presented by Jennifer Connelly, to celebrate his many years of excellence in the fashion industry.

As you’d expect, the same list of ladies, and gents, who’ve shown their support for recent LV events were in attendance, plus Nicole Kidman.

Ruth Negga: Of the winged trio here, Ruth is the most successful at pulling off this Louis Vuitton Spring 2018 look. Dreamy in parts with a sheer and leather overlay giving the look an edge, there really is nothing she can’t pull off.

Michelle Williams: The actress perhaps went with the most safest interpretation of this Spring 2018 look, and I have a feeling many will consider this a tad washed out and too one note. I think that she looks really pretty, and to be honest, I’m glad she played it safe. Complicated LV styles overwhelm her in my opinion.

Jennifer Connelly: While I will tip my hat and have huge admiration for Jennifer for going with probably the trickiest look in the Louis Vuitton Spring 2018 collection, my feeling is she has bitten off a little more than she could chew here. There’s way too much going on, and it doesn’t feel as cohesive as the other two ladies.

Sophia Turner: I love that regal air that her Louis Vuitton Spring 2018 embroidered tail coat gives to her shimmering look. This is one of Sophie’s finest moments in LV.

Lea Seydoux: In a sea of fashion-forward LV designs, Lea perhaps played it the most safe in her Louis Vuitton Spring 2018 look.

Laura Harrier: While I feel like the LV monogrammed bucket bag is out of place here, I adore the high shine of Laura’s Louis Vuitton Spring 2018 look. This was easily my favourite for being contemporary without compromising her style.

Nicole Kidman: Much like Laura Harrier, Nicole Kidman gave us something we always expect. Classic and elegant, but would you have preferred she taken more of a risk at this event rather than this sheer Louis Vuitton Spring 2018 dress?

Riley Keough: After her brief flirtation down the ultra girlie path, Riley was back to wearing looks which are a better fit to her rock chick natural style. I love how this Louis Vuitton Spring 2018 look has an undeniable ’80s feel to it. This is the clutch Laura should’ve added to her look.

Catherine Deneuve: The French actress has great style, but I didn’t find this look particularly flattering.

Jaden Smith: This is all a bit of a miss-match to me, and I can’t understand why he opted for those battered sneakers.  The irony is they are probably more expensive than my rent.

Noomi Rapace: Blink too fast you’ll think this was Jared Leto. Noomi rocks this borrowed-from-the-boy Louis Vuitton Spring 2018 look with plenty of panache and authenticity.

Xavier Dolan: Despite the rebellious spirit imbued by Xavier’s hair, the actor opted for a super sharp suit, which some might feel was out of place at this fashion forward event.

Maria Sharapova In Tibi - Porsche Auto Trade Show

Maria Sharapova In Tibi – Porsche Auto Trade Show

Mariah Carey In Georgine - AHF World AIDS DAY Concert and 30th Anniversary

Mariah Carey In Georgine – AHF World AIDS DAY Concert and 30th Anniversary

24 Responses to An Evening Honoring Louis Vuitton and Nicolas Ghesquière

1. Alina December 4, 2017 at 07:32 #

No words for the first row.

The only dress I would save from this entire post is Riley’s, but her styling is awful.

2. charleneg December 3, 2017 at 21:02 #

I actually like what Jaden is wearing. The mis-match is an organised chaos. Xavier Dolan on the other hand LC why do some gay men nowadays dress so conservative?

3. alvarospain December 3, 2017 at 18:28 #

Jennifer Connelly’s dress is a WDOTY candidate.

4. Caroline December 3, 2017 at 17:27 #

Just noooooo.

5. AnnaP December 3, 2017 at 11:46 #

Such an awful design – how did it ever get past the initial sketch?

6. fashionjudgment December 2, 2017 at 18:35 #

My favourite is Jaden. I feel like he did the fashion-forward/creative approach best. Nicole and Xavier look good, although very toned down compered to the others. I will take the toned down look over a mess any day tho. In terms of the first row, Jennifer is the only one that can handle the style imo. LV is just way too much for me this days, the air of luxury is barely there anymore. I will never favour Nicolas over Marc Jacobs in LV.

7. Noemi December 2, 2017 at 10:22 #

Sophie Turner looked at her best. The best dressed of the event, really gorgeous. Noomi Rapace looked great, too, she perfectly channeled her inner rock star!
    I like Nicole Kidman, feminine and sexy.
    I usually love Jennifer Connelly’style but here, it looks like she put a huge bra on the dress! Catherine Deneuve, instead, probably channeled her inner Jon Snow…

8. Lashae December 2, 2017 at 09:16 #

I legit giggled when I first saw the first 3 ladies.

Majority of these looks are terrible especially Jennifer Connelly’s (a WDOTY nominee tbh). The only looks that aren’t ugly measure from ‘meh’ to ‘decent’ (Sophie, Lea, Nicole and Noomi)

• The original AB December 2, 2017 at 14:24 #

9. Triton December 2, 2017 at 08:59 #

As always Sophie Turner (with and E, it’s spelled Sophia on both this post and the BDOTW one ) seems to be the one LV ambassador who can pull off the runway looks the best, her stylist picks out some of the better pieces for her and meet in the middle when compared to the runway styling. Obviously her height and youth helps push the looks towards a better result.

Laura Harrier also looks good, she’s pulling it off.

Nicole looks decent but it’s boring, she seems to have forgone her edge and sticking to the true and tired. a while ago she probably would have showed up with Sophie’s coat, Laura’s pants and Riley’s shoes and bag.

10. Fiona-Brasil December 2, 2017 at 00:47 #

This is a horror frock show!The only one easy on the eyes here is Xavier Dolan…and

• Fiona-Brasil December 2, 2017 at 00:48 #

and the end!

11. Pheephee December 1, 2017 at 23:42 #

Wow. LV just keeps making hideous clothes. Im always shocked it has such a big celebrity fanbase when they all look so ugly/unflattering/laughable.
    Sophie at least looks intriguing. Nicole and Xavier look safe but nice.

12. Giada December 1, 2017 at 22:20 #

I have a lot of respect for the work Nicolas Ghesquière did for Balenciaga. In lots of ways, he was ahead of his time, but I never really loved his collections for Louis Vuitton.

With the exception of the white and silver dress Emma Stone wore to the premiere of the Battle Of The Sexes movie, all these spring 2018 LV looks have been ranging from meh to utter fug. These three top dresses are completely overworked and really unflattering. And you’re sending an icon like Catherine Deneuve on the red carpet looking like that?

It’s as if Ghesquière has become so enamored with his well-known obsession of sculptural designs, that he has forgotten along the way that it has to be flattering first and foremost. A distinction he still used to make during his time at Balenciaga.

13. james December 1, 2017 at 20:07 #

The guys are the only decent ones as far as I am concerned. The rest is yikes all around 🙁

14. JHH December 1, 2017 at 20:06 #

Sophia Turner looks okay. Riley almost did but those grey things coming out her sleeves are creepy. All the other women look a mess and there is a special place in hell for whoever put Catherine Deneuve in that outfit — it makes her look like a barrel.

15. barbara December 1, 2017 at 19:18 #

Everybody looks insane. All the dresses are ridiculous, absolutely ugly. I miss Léa Seydoux’s marvellous style – remember the sheer perfection of her Prada looks?

• meme December 1, 2017 at 19:57 #

OMG, those Prada dresses were gorgeous.

16. meme December 1, 2017 at 18:38 #

Fug, fuglier, fugliest. LV makes the ugliest clothes on the planet. The top three made me laugh out loud at how ridiculous these women look. And whoever dressed Ms. Deneuve and made her look like a linebacker should be fired STAT.

• Leandra December 1, 2017 at 19:26 #

She looks like a Viking. She deserves soooo much better. C. Deneuve, I mean.

17. lmkw December 1, 2017 at 18:06 #

Looking at those first three lined up convinced me that it’s time for the cold shoulder to quietly fade away.

18. Chris December 1, 2017 at 17:46 #

Michelle is the LV ambassador I’m usually most bored by, but this is very pretty!
    Laura looks awesome, but I kinda wish she went with a different bag, but I still really like it.
    I love Riley’s look ankles up.
    Jaden and Xavier look awesome!

19. Leandra December 1, 2017 at 17:35 #

I like most of them, they look like extragalactic warriors. BUT poor Catherine Deneuve looks more like an extra in the Game of Thrones with that hideous cape.
    Nicole is the best one.

20. Maria F. December 1, 2017 at 17:35 #

I cannot handle this sloppy downhanging sleeves from LV, so all of them are a NO from me.

I can accept the second row (my favourite being Sophie Turner) and Nicole Kidman looks alright since she played it safe, but I realise that I am just not a fan of LV.