Menu

22.11.17

2017 Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show After Show Party

The 2017 Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show After Party took place on Monday (November 20) in Shanghai, China, with a wide ranging mix of styles.

I decided to split them into categories this year staring with: My Favourites.

Cindy Bruna: This Brandon Maxwell Spring 2017 suit originally stormed the runway with a blouse, but Cindy made the look her own by opting to go without.  The excessive boobage might turn off some, but I’m more intrigued by the impeccable tailoring.

Maria Borges: I’m a huge fan of Maria’s style, but I was blown away when she opted to wear this Tiffany Amber gown which proudly showcased her African roots. The dress, the belt and head wrap are gorgeous, but it’s the ‘going against the grain’ statement which I find most endearing.

Jourdana Phillips: You can’t get much chicer than a cream tuxedo dress styled with gold Giuseppe Zanotti rose-gold sandals.

Couture Queens

Lily Aldridge (in Alexandre Vauthier Spring 2017 Couture) and Blanca Padilla (in Ralph & Russo Spring 2017 Couture) also fell into my favourites of the night.

Both showcased that you can work an alluring look with a high level of sophistication.

Not-So Nude Underwear

Taylor Hill (in Fabiana Milazzo), Stella Maxwell (in Georges Hobeika Fall 2017 Couture) and Nadine Leopold (in Julien Macdonald Fall 2017) all opted for semi-sheer embellished creations.

Lining the looks wouldn’t have worked for these ladies, as celebrating skin was their red carpet M.O.

The Jekyll and Hyde Dresses

Alessandra Ambrosio (in Versace Fall 2017 with Gianvito Rossi ‘Aleris’ sandals), Candice Swanepoel (in Aadnevik Spring 2018) and Georgia Fowler (in Julien Macdonald Fall 2017) with a Tyler Ellis clutch) all opted for what I call split personality dresses.

Alessandra Ambrosio: Is it a gown or is it a mini dress?

Candice Swanepoel: Does this dress want to stay on or fall off?

Georgia Fowler: Is it a dress or is it a bikini?  One thing it definitely is, is a rerun.

Questions I need the answers to.

One Sleeve, One Arm Pose

Leila Nda (in Mugler Fall 2017), Karlie Kloss (in RtA Resort 2018) and Adriana Lima (in Mugler Resort 2018) were all rocking a one sleeve look.

Leila Nda: Joining Hailee Steinfeld in the plight to bring pointy shoulders back, the model styled her look with a diamond Messika choker and Sophia Webster ‘Lilico’ crystal heels.

Karlie Kloss: My wish is that this look didn’t feel so one note.

Adriana Lima: This Mugler dress didn’t quite work for Adriana. Kudos for doing something new, but I found this look very awkward and unflattering.

Red Hot

Bella Hadid: There seems to be a distinct correlation between Bella Hadid and risqué red dresses. Especially those created by Alexandre Vauthier. Her bustier gown was styled with Gianvito Rossi ‘Manhattan’ sandals.

Jasmine Tookes: The model smoldered on the pink carpet. While some may feel her dress leaves little to the imagination, I love the intricate embroidery. She styled the look with Giuseppe Zanotti sandals.

Lais Ribeiro: Between the colour and the embellishments, this Zuhair Murad Spring 2017 Couture look was my favourite of the red trio.  I especially love that she styled her look with rose-gold Giuseppe Zanotti sandals rather than black sandals.

Sheer Black

Liu Wen: Even with the sheer top, I found myself underwhelmed by Liu’s offering, which is a surprising first.

Devon Windsor: The trouble with Devon’s Julien Macdonald Fall 2017 gown is that she will be instantly compared to Jennifer Lopez who wore the same frock to the 2017 Billboard Music Awards.

Sara Sampaio: I’m sure you’re rolling your eyes at seeing Sara rocking granny panties with her Naeem Khan Spring 2018 gown, but at least she’s wearing them. The look was styled with Messika jewels.

The Minis

Martha Hunt: Letting her legs do all the talking, the model wore a simple Priscavera Spring 2018 ultra mini which felt so very fresh.

Herieth Paul: You may not be instantly wowed by this Tom Ford gold frock, but I urge you to check out the back. Nude Christian Louboutin pumps completed her look.

Romee Strijd: There’s a lot going on with Romee’s Raisa and Vanessa Spring 2018 Couture dress, but I love every last detail, especially the fringing. This what you call a party frock.

Final Two

Ming Xi: I’m usually a huge fan of Paco Rabanne’s signature chainmail dresses, but this one had a bit too many nips and tucks for me.

Leomie Anderson: The models Lê Thanh Hoà gown was beautiful, but a tad dated.

Credit: Getty

Claire Foy In Christian Dior - ‘The Crown’ Season 2 London Premiere

Claire Foy In Christian Dior – ‘The Crown’ Season 2 London Premiere

Nieves Alvarez In Gucci - Vanity Fair Party

Nieves Alvarez In Gucci – Vanity Fair Party

28 Responses to 2017 Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show After Show Party

1. AnnaP November 28, 2017 at 13:57 #

Hi FC, I love this format where you put the items in categories. Very nice to read and funny at the same time. Thanks.

2. Amanda F November 23, 2017 at 04:54 #

My question to Candice Swanepoel would be wtf? That is not an attractive nor comfortable look.

3. TeaAtTwo November 22, 2017 at 21:58 #

Some of the top models at a big event and they couldn’t find something more interesting. I’ll give props to Maria Borges(ankles up) and Lais Ribeiro though. Cindy’s suit would have been great if the plunge were slightly less wide. Candice Swanepoel looks particularly terrible.

4. Jerusa Herrera November 22, 2017 at 19:56 #

I liked Martha Hunt, remains me of Kate Moss

The rest, ladies, please, please, we beg! Because we know you ALL CAN DO SO MUCH BETTER.

FC yes please, do make the “Questions we need answer to”, a regular section here 😀

• Catherine Kallon November 23, 2017 at 12:53 #

Ha….that’s a good idea. But some might take offence x

• Jerusa Herrera November 23, 2017 at 13:27 #

Its a GREAT idea! I hope that you give it a try 😀
        XO

5. Juli November 22, 2017 at 15:58 #

Herieth Paul dress is by Tom Ford.

• Catherine Kallon November 23, 2017 at 12:53 #

6. kelly November 22, 2017 at 15:46 #

I love the ladies in red. Jourdana’s look is perfectly sleek and sexy.
    My fave VS model these days is up and comer Zuri Tibby. I think her look for the after party was fun.

7. Chris November 22, 2017 at 14:09 #

Love Maria and Jourdana here.

8. Mimi November 22, 2017 at 13:02 #

DYING at the Jekyll and Hyde section, LOL! I do like Georgia’s dress, I think it works for the event.

I love Cindy’s outfit, chic and sexy!
    Taylor’s dress looks dated, she can def do better! She’s so young.
    Sara’s dress is sooo bad, the cutout pattern looks like a web.

I also love the red row!! Also Romee and Devon

Adriana’s dress did look really good from the side pics I saw! the front isn’t as flattering.

9. Hermoine November 22, 2017 at 12:28 #

I think the questions I need answers to should be a regular feature

• Jerusa Herrera November 22, 2017 at 19:51 #

+1 oh YES PLEASE!

10. VG November 22, 2017 at 12:02 #

The first row is great, I genuinely like all three. Everyone else is dressed in your typical model “uniform” which usually consists of little fabric, underwear on display, cut-outs, sequins blah blah bla…it’s boring and not very fashionable!! These women can literally wear anything yet consistently choose the most basic and uninspiring clothes. No thanks.

11. mark November 22, 2017 at 11:13 #

they say supermodels can wear anything and look good. well this proves them wrong. can somebody please help Candice’s dress. i don’t think it can handle anymore pressure.

• Jerusa Herrera November 22, 2017 at 19:51 #

+100000000000000000000 LOL!!!

12. Maria F. November 22, 2017 at 10:44 #

Maria Borges (although i wish she would have opted for a gold sandal)

I like Jourdana too, her dress is just a bit different among all the tight and see through ones.

Lais looks also great and effortless in her red one.

The rest is a mess. So interesting that these women wear the most interesting fashion on the runway, but on the red carpet or for parties they always revert to tight, see through or high slits.

13. Miss H November 22, 2017 at 09:52 #

Maria Borges looks amazing. Hands down the queen out of this line up. I’m finding the rest of it boring and unsurprising. Maybe if I had a slamming body, I’d get it 😉 If you’ve got it, flaunt it is getting a little tired…

P.S. FC, you’re killing it with the commentary on this post. Especially the questions you’d like answers to 🙂

14. bas November 22, 2017 at 08:50 #

My favourites are Blanca, Maria Borges, Lais and Cindy.

15. Evita November 22, 2017 at 07:41 #

Cindy and Lily are my favorites, Maria was almost there, I wish she’d worn a different shoe

16. Jeremy November 22, 2017 at 07:20 #

Maria Borges QUEEN. Just a sickening look.

BDOTW for me.

• Caroline November 22, 2017 at 16:19 #

17. cs November 22, 2017 at 06:56 #

Given the event, I’m okay with all the skin exposure.

BUT. Nadine Leopold. Is a fish sponsored by Adidas. WDOTY worthy.

18. Pheephee November 22, 2017 at 05:45 #

Lais by far. She looks so classy and sexy.

There are some truly awful looks here. I think Candice is the worst offender although Nadine in her ugly jumpsuit is a close second.

Harieth has a really cute party dress on. Love the back.
    Karlie looks dull.
    The sheer dresses I will pass on.

19. Nat39 November 22, 2017 at 05:35 #

Wow, Maria Borges is spectacular, just wish she’d worn an inspiring sandal instead of the peep-toes, they are letting the look down.