Menu

16.10.17

Hammer Museum Gala In The Garden

The Hammer Museum Gala in the Garden was hosted on Saturday (October 14) in LA, with a crush of beauties in attendance—and all outfitted in one of the night’s leading supporters, Bottega Veneta.

Emmy Rossum: Looking nearly impossibly elegant, Emmy stunned in a Fall 2017 gown that beautifully shimmered with its gunmetal metallic plisse design. I love how her red lip and refined waves imbued another element of classic allure to the striking look.

Priyanka Chopra: I liked the softer palette of this Bottega Veneta Spring 2018 ensemble, but the creamy-white pumps let the look down.

Sarah Jessica Parker: This Resort 2018 gown was a rather subdued look for the likes of SJP.

January Jones: This Resort 2018 frock wouldn’t ordinarily come across as quite so youthfully girlish, but January’s hair clip and socks-and-sandals were responsible for the twee-inspired leanings of the look.

Hailey Baldwin: I have to give Hailey a standing ovation for this Fall 2017 ensemble that was such a study in smart sophistication—and so gracefully modern on her. I loved the graphic edge of the skirt.  Jimmy Choo ‘Macy’ platforms completed the look.

Sofia Boutella: I’m so glad Sofia kept her accessories to a minimum with this bold-shoulder Fall 2017 metallic gown to avoid an overcooked situation. I would venture to say the red lip wasn’t even really necessary.

Camilla Belle: It could have been her hair, but this Resort 2018 look just seemed to be rather mature for the pretty actress.

Tessa Thompson: Remove the sheer gloves from this Resort 2018 embellished frock, and then we would have a look.

Jessica Chastain: Opting to introduce the bright zest of highlighter-yellow pumps, Jessica was focused on ensuring this Resort 2018 LBD had plenty of pep. Despite my love of statement footwear, I just didn’t like this pair here—plus, they looked a bit too big.

Kiersey Clemons: Some similar vintage influences showed up in this Fall 2017 embroidered frock. But I like how Kiersey delivered an element of modern, hip drama in her crimson lip and short hair.

Ruth Wilson: Ruth’s Resort 2018 gown was all rainbows and butterflies—literally.

Laura Harrier: The sleek precision and distinct allure of women’s suiting was manifested in this polished Fall 2017 ensemble that I loved for its feminine modernity.

Ana De Armas: This Spring 2018 fringe and grommet frock was on the Red Carpet Wish List for Selena Gomez, but Ana had fun shimmying around in it instead.  The look was styled with the popular Jimmy Choo ‘Lance’ sandals.

Marisa Tomei: This Fall 2017 striped dress desperately needed a sleek bun.

Rashida Jones: I’m glad Rashida breathed some vibrancy into this Resort 2018 navy gown with her brighter lip.

Selma Blair: Even if the fit of this Resort 2018 frock seemed a bit askance through the bodice, I like its vintage throwback charm that Selma enhanced with her styling.

Evan Rachel Wood: As this Resort 2018 suiting was quite conservative by Evan’s standards, I was craving something bolder than the rather boring pair of pumps to complete it.

Jessica Lange: This Fall 2017 frock offered a feminine, youthful vibe with its embellishment and pouf sleeves. But, yet again, the shoes were a snooze.

Ava DuVernay: One of the evening’s honorees, Ava was quite the golden girl in her metallic look.

Alana Haim: It was Alana’s kitten-heel shoes and statement eye shadow that brought the real twist of attitude to this Spring 2018 blouse and skirt.

Danielle Haim: Also in a Spring 2018 look, Danielle paired her textural skirt with a blazer for a slightly edgier effect. But, the black footwear I couldn’t get on board with.

Este Haim: It was Este who brought the edgiest offering of the three, though, in her Spring 2018 ensemble that had all the tough-girl glam you’d expect in a leather grommet skirt. I’m sure the colour-block kitten heels will be something of a sticking point for some, as they were a quirky match.

Emmy and Hailey were my easy favourites. What about you?

Credit: Courtesy of Bottega Veneta

Hong Chau In L'Agence, Sea New York, Valentino & Alessandra Rich - Hamptons & London Film Festivals

Hong Chau In L’Agence, Sea New York, Valentino & Alessandra Rich – Hamptons & London Film Festivals

Kate Bosworth's Diane von Furstenberg Sequined Midi Dress

Kate Bosworth’s Diane von Furstenberg Sequined Midi Dress

15 Responses to Hammer Museum Gala In The Garden

1. Caroline October 18, 2017 at 15:02 #

Emmy by far followed by Sofia.

2. bas October 17, 2017 at 08:32 #

Emmy Rossum and Anna de Armas are by far my favourites. Special mention to Hailey Baldwin, who actually looks quite polished compared to her usual looks.

3. Fanny October 17, 2017 at 00:18 #

I like how the look on Emmy’s face seems to be saying “well I dressed up nice, what are you guys doing?”
    Emmy’s my favourite followed by Hailey, Laura and Ana. I’d very much like to know what the dress code was.

4. JHH October 16, 2017 at 21:36 #

Emma looks fantastic. Hailey also looks good and Sophia’ metallic dress is lovely — if her hair and makeup were done differently, it would have been a knockout look. Tessa and January look ridiculous — it’s only Monday but they are already my WDOTW. Despite the wide range of looks, most of these are meh.

5. Alina October 16, 2017 at 19:24 #

Emmy. What a legend!

6. Nadine Hughey October 16, 2017 at 18:24 #

Love Hailey’s look, so sharp.

7. alvarospain October 16, 2017 at 16:19 #

I love Hailey Baldwin. Also Laura Harrier and Ana de Armas.

8. Pheephee October 16, 2017 at 15:40 #

Emmy Rossum looks divine. By far the best look here. Regal, flawless, so gorgeous.

Hailey has a great look also. Very sharp, perhaps for a different event.
    Ruth also has an interesting look.

The rest are rather poor. Esp January. She looks absurd.

9. TeaAtTwo October 16, 2017 at 14:57 #

Emmy looks great. I really like Laura Harrier offering. Ankles up, Hailey’s outfit is nice though those hoops don’t go with the elegance. Makeup on Alana Haim lets her nice outfit down. January’s styling is comical. We’ve seen a couple of socks with sandals recently, I hope this isn’t a trend.

10. amy October 16, 2017 at 14:56 #

Emmy ended the game.
    I quite like sofia too

11. Lara October 16, 2017 at 14:36 #

I cannot recall the last time there was such a gamut of dress codes for one event! Where is ANYone going? There are about 4 different events happening here. Emmy looks best, but she and Sofia are the only ones attending a “gala”. The Haim sisters, Priyanka, Ana and Jessica are all attending a “garden party”. The others are stuck somewhere between the two events, and Hailey accidentally grabbed Zendaya’s luggage at the airport. Most of these looks are a miss in some way for the wearers.

• Amanda F October 18, 2017 at 02:51 #

Right? These looks are all over the map! Gowns, cocktail dresses, suits, separates and whatever the hell January Jones has going on……

12. Chris October 16, 2017 at 14:15 #

Emmy looks stunning.
    I also like Laura Harrier and Ana de Armas.
    I love the idea of the yellow shoes for Jessica, but I agree they appear a tad too big.

13. Hermoine October 16, 2017 at 13:36 #

Wow these looks are all over the place!
    Emmy is the only one who looks polished
    January looks ridiculous

14. Maria F. October 16, 2017 at 13:19 #

there are a lot of great looks, but some are dressed for a gala and some are dressed for a daytime event, which throws me of a bit.

Favourites: Emily Rossum, Ruth Wilson, Sofia Boutella for gala looks

Hailey Baldwin and Ana de Armas for daytime looks.