Menu

Joining Hayley Atwell and Anya Taylor-Joy, Andrea Riseborough also took to the red carpet at the 61st BFI London Film Festival Awards on Saturday (October 14).

Her new lease on fashion continued to be felt strongly in this Ralph & Russo Fall 2016 Couture gown.

The design offered up a secret garden of intricately enchanting embellishment. But, it was her decision to wear the dress with violet Balenciaga thigh-high boots that brought the distinct punk edge.

While the dress had to stay unlined on behalf of the boots, I can already hear the potential objections to the nude bodysuit beneath it—not to mention the footwear.

Regardless, she dared to do something different on the red carpet, and for that, she provided plenty of statement-making intrigue.

Yay or nay?

Credit: Vogue.co.UK & Getty

Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic

Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic

Blake Lively In Roland Mouret - The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Blake Lively In Roland Mouret – The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

14 Responses to Andrea Riseborough In Ralph & Russo Couture – 61st BFI London Film Festival Awards

1. JHH October 16, 2017 at 21:16 #

If you are going to do this, it has to be perfectly executed — that means undergarments or a slip that match your coloring (or maybe the boots) and no flesh toned gaps between the top of the boots and the body suit. I might have disliked that version as much as I dislike what was presented but at least it would have gotten an A for execution.

2. Pheephee October 16, 2017 at 15:49 #

Nay! This is awful….those boots really ruin the look. The lining looks ridiculous. And the eye makeup is horrid.

3. meme October 16, 2017 at 14:45 #

Ugh. Way to ruin a gorgeous dress. It’s all terrible.

4. Chris October 16, 2017 at 14:00 #

I might be the only one, but I love this, styling and all. To not line the dress and add the Balenciaga boots is a pretty…unusual styling decision, but I’m on board; I think she pulls it off and it fits her edgier style. It’s generally an interesting concept to attempt to adapt a fairly basic, standard Ralph and Russo floral gown to her aesthetic and I love the color of the boots with the rest. Even the hair works for me on the occasion.
    If someone else just wore a lined version of that gown, I would probably be far from excited, but here with Andrea’s look, I’m on board head to toe.

5. Amurox October 16, 2017 at 12:39 #

just trying waay too hard on this one…and the eye makeup is terrible

6. fashionjudgment October 16, 2017 at 10:47 #

I wouldn’t mind the bodysuit, but why the boots? It’s just so random and unnecessary.

7. TeaAtTwo October 16, 2017 at 10:41 #

A beautiful gown ruined.

• alvarospain October 16, 2017 at 11:02 #

• Maria F. October 16, 2017 at 11:33 #

• Caroline October 18, 2017 at 15:04 #

Yup.

8. Alina October 16, 2017 at 09:11 #

Big no.

9. Jasmine October 16, 2017 at 08:34 #

Nope.
    She is literally wearing Spanx. Could it not at least have been a slip dress, let alone in the right nude colour to match her skin?
    The boots actually take away from the look – why purple? Maybe she could have pulled them off if they were a more subtle colour or actually complemented the colours of the dress.
    Also, what is going on with her eyelashes?!? Looks like half of the false lashes fell out.

• CreoleLady October 16, 2017 at 10:06 #

Spanx was exactly what I thought — the bicycle shorts variety. Another look ruined because of this obsession with and tragic mishandling of sheer. The boots, yeah, ok, whatever … NO.

• Hermoine October 16, 2017 at 13:46 #