Menu

02.10.17

Maison Louis Vuitton Vendôme Opening

Paris Fashion Week also ushered in the grand opening of the Maison Louis Vuitton at Place Vendôme in Paris, France on Monday (October 2), with a number of the brand’s biggest fans in attendance—and all donning signature LV looks.

Cate Blanchett: As hard as I tried, I just couldn’t get on board with what Cate was serving up here. Between the silken, emerald green jacket and leather belt, the pinstripe blouse and its exaggerated cuffs, and the racing stripe track pants, it looked like she had borrowed pieces from three different looks that should have never been in the same room together.

Julianne Moore: With a look that was as close as Julianne could get to her favoured LBDs, she brought an elegance to this distressed lace dress that was reinforced by her simple approach to styling with a complementary clutch and sandals.

Alicia Vikander: I know that some question the Alicia and LV pairing, but she just wears the looks so effortlessly—even this rebellious combination between a striped top and leopard skirt, topped off with combat boots, had an undeniable cool-girl vibe.

Michelle Williams: While I liked the prim, darling nature of her girly, grommet leather frock, the addition of the mesh white, long-sleeve shirt and white gogo boots just didn’t flow with the signature handbag. It needed to be one or the other.

Jennifer Connelly: We all have seen Jennifer in many variations of the LV label—and sometimes the far-out edge works for her. Here, I would have to say it did not. I kept trying to identify what this look reminded me of—and I think it came down to a mishmash of galactic superhero and futuristic cowgirl.

Léa Seydoux: The French actress dressed in her Parisian-chic best with the fun pop of her handbag adding a whimsical finish to the polished look.

Ruth Negga: Bringing her own unique style personality to this look, Ruth punched up this suede, western-inspired trench with the quirky punch of plush animal print and platform boots.

Fan Bingbing: As Fan was swallowed up a bit by the expanse of sleeves and lace here, I think an updo would have helped the situation.

Laura Harrier: I loved this more classic-mod take on the Louis Vuitton brand, as Laura wore this mini perfectly paired with a signature LV handbag and booties.

Riley Keough: This was yet another instance where I struggled with the motley mix of pieces. The tough edge of the black leather was a hard sell with the blue-satin, nightgown mood of the ruffle gown.

Jaden Smith: There was plenty of hip-hop spirit infused into Jaden’s look that featured a logo-soup jacket paired with slouchy, electric-blue track pants.

Raffey Cassidy: Raffey also wore a long-sleeve shirt under her sleeveless dress, but here it presented more seamlessly with the knee-high boots also echoing the colour-block effect.

Rila Fukushima: Sporty-chic in black and white, Rila cut a cool profile with her plush, cropped coat and leather pants. The funkiness of her mock cowboy boots and clutch completed the look.

Catherine Deneuve: Showing off how intriguing a monochromatic black colour palette can be, Catherine combined edginess with elegance in her leather coat and LBD.

Credit: Louis Vuitton

Irving Penn Exhibition Private Viewing Hosted by Vogue

Irving Penn Exhibition Private Viewing Hosted by Vogue

Margot Robbie In Zimmermann - Nissan Futures 3.0 - The Car and Beyond

Margot Robbie In Zimmermann – Nissan Futures 3.0 – The Car and Beyond

39 Responses to Maison Louis Vuitton Vendôme Opening

1. Nat39 October 3, 2017 at 19:55 #

I don’t like the boots, but Raffey Cassidy would make a successful LV embassador.
    Rila Fukushima’s outfit is well put-together (although I once again don’t like the booties).

2. Caroline October 3, 2017 at 19:31 #

Alicia Vikander and Michelle Williams, the rest are ummmm, yeah, no words. Who dared dress Cate Blanchet like that?

3. LeeAnn October 3, 2017 at 18:56 #

I find these looks incredibly ugly . I think Fashion is there to push the envelope yes but when women look like Patsy and Edina out on a binge well it’s not pushing the envelope . I know people who work in the VIP client group of LV they have told me the clothes are not selling well . Furthermore they are cut so small that none of their clients can fit into them . At least in London.

• charlotte October 4, 2017 at 02:48 #

agree completely.
      Nicolas’ designs are more editorial than everyday wearing…

4. Chris October 3, 2017 at 12:30 #

I’m one of the few people who actually likes the majority of these.
    Ruth and Alicia are probably my favs here.
    Laura looks good, too. And I actually kinda loce Jennifer, Cate and Julianne as well here. I think they pull it off.

• Leandra October 3, 2017 at 15:21 #

I agree. Most of commenters here are forgetting that this kind of harsh criticism was faced by today’s geniouses /geni like Chanel , Balenciaga, Dior, Saint Laurent just to name a few. People laughed at them. If designers don’t push the envelope we would still be wearing corsets and crinolines nowadays.
      Things that Nicolas made 10 years ago for Balenciaga are now totally accepted as normal. I understand that everybody is entitled to an opinion but one expects some basic knowledge when faced with such hard words.
      You just have to check how princesse’s looks are always welcome here.
      Again, everyone has the right to opinions but if your opinion is not reinforced by (concrete) facts, or if your argument that links those facts to your conclusion (opinion) is logically unsound or even unreasonable, then it can be ignored.
      Just to add that LV , in clothes alone, sells 700 million Euros /year. It is A LOT of money. People like and buy this stuff, we readers/commenters are not their tarjet.

• meme October 3, 2017 at 15:50 #

I must respectfully disagree. A lot of women are slaves to fashion and will wear anything to be “fashionable” or jump on any trend. And a lot of celebs just wear what their stylists tell them to wear. No one will look back at these outfits in 20 years and think they are fabulous. In particular, Cate and Jennifer’s outfit are ugly and unflattering and look sloppy.

• Leandra October 3, 2017 at 16:01 #

I agree with you. I only think that “we, as a nation” (of fashion lovers) must have a more open mind for new trends. Im the 1rst one to turn my nose off the work of Chiuri at Dior but it happens that I know by fact they are not selling (clothes) as before. Lots of people here were criticizing Raf’s work as well.

• Chris October 3, 2017 at 16:50 #

Nice posts. I also agree that it’s important to keep an open mind for new ideas in fashion and lay aside conventional ideas of what’s a nice dress (I see some people calling LV clothes ‘ugly’, which probably has to do with a conventional idea of..the clothes you wear have to be pretty in a certain kind of way, while these clothes try to be modern and new instead of…just pretty), because fashion has to keep moving forward, no one wants to see the same collections over and over again for years (at least I hope so) and it’s innovative designers like Nicolas who really do their own thing who play an important part in this.
            (Also nice to know Chiuri’s Dior doesn’t sell as well, that shows it’s not just us who don’t like it, I was a little worried people actually loved it and bought it. lol)

• LeeAnn October 3, 2017 at 19:01 #

Dior has cut the production of Churi’s work so that it “sells well” eg if you only make 10 of something globally it will be bought. They are more interested in the column inches she gains and the fact that it will be copied by Top Shop etc – heck even M&S copied her constellation items which sold out by the way. The reason this generates noise which generates lipstick and fragrance sales where they make the most margin. The big brands really don’t do fashion anymore.

• Leandra October 3, 2017 at 19:50 #

everything you said, totally true. The production was cut back. It reminds a bit that anecdote about the Holson twin’s croco back pack for 50.000 USD and sold out. Only 3 were EVER made. One bought by their CEO , another from themselves and the other for their PR agency. Still the free advertise they got for that was enormous.

• Chris October 3, 2017 at 20:31 #

Interesting, I didn’t know this. Thanks!

• Chris October 3, 2017 at 16:55 #

Although, @meme, a lot of the celebs who are loyal to LV, especially Jennifer Connelly and Cate Blanchett are examples of celebs who don’t just wear something because they want to jump onto a trend or their stylist told them to wear something. Jennifer is one of Ghesquiere’s most loyal fans and Cate doesn’t care what people think of her fashion choices, she sometimes assumes people are not gonna like what she’s gonna wear, so I don’t think she is a person who has a need to jump onto certain trends because it’s ‘in’, she just does her thing.
          (But generally, I of course know what you’re saying and agree.)

• Leandra October 3, 2017 at 17:28 #

But that portion of market that meme is talking about (even tough I agree)don’t make hundreds of millions of revenue per year. Im talking on clothes alone, not perfums, make up, accessories. They must be doing something right there.
            It reminds me that anecdote of the (immensely) rich Texan woman who went to the museum in Paris on a vewing about Francis Bacon and said : ” I can not hung this on my walls, this is not art”. We may not approve but lots of people certainly do.
            Again, Im not dismissing anyone’s perspectives,all opinions are welcome. I only wanted to start a conversartion. (hate this expression…)

• meme October 3, 2017 at 18:00 #

But I am referencing women with money (and there are lots of them) who buy anything that is considered “fashionable.” Personally, I don’t like sloppy looking clothing or, at this point, ANYTHING that is sheer LOL. Everything is reinvention anyway. It’s all cyclical as they bring back a different decade and just tweak it to their esthetic. Of course there are always editorial works in a show to display expert workmanship and I appreciate that. I know you aren’t dismissing anyone else’s perspective and it’s been a good convo.

@Chris – one of the reasons I love Cate is because she does her own thing but she is one of those rare women who CAN do that. Just like Tilda.

• Rorie October 4, 2017 at 16:52 #

Wow -great discussion, everyone! I love talks like this. I think I’m more on meme’s side (esp re: sloppy & sheer :)), but I do also understand Leandra’s point about needing to be open to designers who push the envelope. I think what I’m constantly in search of are designers who hit the sweet spot of being aesthetically pleasing and innovative, whether that comes via an innovative silhouette or a reinvention of a princess dress.

• Mimmi October 3, 2017 at 15:52 #

Well said Leandra! 🙂

• Leandra October 3, 2017 at 16:05 #

😉

5. Annalisa October 3, 2017 at 11:49 #

I save only Michelle and Lea. The other outfit are horrible. And i am a big fan of Cate Blanchett and i love her style so much, but when she wears LV nothing of her grace, beauty, strenght, light comes out.

6. Ange October 3, 2017 at 10:48 #

I don’t think these clothes look good on anyone . The worst bunch of outfits I’ve seen for a while .

7. Roxi October 3, 2017 at 10:43 #

Ruth looks amazing!

8. james October 3, 2017 at 09:07 #

Most of them are really trying too hard but I really like Ruth Negga’s entire look, I think she pulls it off. LV needs someone with a quirky personality to pull his weird designs off and both Alicia and Michelle are too sweet and conventional for them in my humble opinion
    PS:I love Lea’s coat as well.

9. Amy October 3, 2017 at 08:43 #

Alicia looks great and comfortable. Most of the looks are overdone. Too much layering.

10. TeaAtTwo October 3, 2017 at 08:41 #

Though I won’t be lusting for any of these pieces Alicia, Lea, Laura, Raffey and Rila are the only ones that are working for me.

11. Fee October 3, 2017 at 07:10 #

Alicia is killin’ it!

12. Alina October 3, 2017 at 05:03 #

I agree about Alicia. Hers is the only look I like here.

13. charlotte October 3, 2017 at 03:50 #

The only item I would save is Ruth Negga’s blue coat,everything else belongs in a bonfire.

If people like Cate Blanchett, Julianne Moore and Fan Bingbing can’t make your clothes look good,there must be something seriously wrong with your design.
    Frankly,that’s the ugliest thing I’ve seen them in.

• Annalisa October 3, 2017 at 11:53 #

Well said! I agree with you…

14. Christine October 3, 2017 at 01:47 #

LOVE Ruth Negga’s look.

Jaden’s jacket is so dope.

15. VG October 3, 2017 at 01:02 #

I love the jacket on Cate, hate everything else. Alicia looks fierce and I think she’s pulling it off. Everybody else looks like a mess…what is going on with LV? They make gorgeous seperates but I can’t understand the way they’re styled most of the time. It’s looks so sloppy.

16. AnderBoBo October 3, 2017 at 00:27 #

Alicia and Laura are the only two pulling it off

17. JHH October 3, 2017 at 00:16 #

They all look ridiculous.

• charlotte October 3, 2017 at 03:50 #

18. mark October 3, 2017 at 00:01 #

If Cate removed the blouse and wore better pants she would look great. Lea looks ok but miles away from Lea x Prada magic in the past. Laura and Cassey looks good.

19. alvarospain October 2, 2017 at 23:24 #

All awful.

• Mimi October 3, 2017 at 01:53 #

+1 LV should stick to bags, if that.

• cs October 3, 2017 at 03:15 #

I find their clothes similar to bags, almost. Eye-catching pieces here and there that seem like they need to be worn like accessories – one piece, at one time. Worn together, they make a mess.

• charlotte October 3, 2017 at 03:44 #

PREACH,SISTA

• charlotte October 3, 2017 at 03:43 #

Exactly,no one looked comfortable and happy in those outfits.