Menu

09.09.17

Harper’s BAZAAR Celebrates ‘ICONS By Carine Roitfeld’

The list of lovelies at Harper’s BAZAAR Celebrates ‘ICONS By Carine Roitfeld’ on Friday (September 8) in New York City was seemingly unending, as a number of stars joined Nicki Minaj, Selena Gomez, and Kim Kardashian.

Gigi Hadid: Her hyper-embellished Dolce & Gabbana Fall 2017 ensemble, styled with Lorraine Schwartz jewels, was so intricate and powerful of a statement that it really didn’t require the rhinestone clogs.

Kaia Gerber: Cindy Crawford’s model daughter was all grown up in a slinky Kristian Aadnevik Fall 2017 mini that had her looking like her mom more and more.

Kendall Jenner: There was little left to the imagination in this Dolce & Gabbana ruched, sheer number. Yet, ironically in spite of the see-through, I couldn’t help but still get a certain sophisticated, glam vibe with the look, which I will chalk up to its silhouette along with Kendall’s Old-Hollywood waves, Lorraine Schwartz jewels, and Jimmy Choo sandals.

Winnie Harlow: The model floated about in a cloud of lavender whimsy in this Marchesa Resort 2018 confection contrasted by her sculptural topknot.

Lindsay Ellingson: This custom-made Markarian metallic-purple dress from the Spring 2018 collection was clearly made to show off her gam game.

Praya Lundberg: Praya worked this Dolce & Gabbana ensemble to her advantage, posing at the side to reveal the sultry lace motif.

Karlie Kloss: The supermodel didn’t choose girls or gams, instead flaunting both in this Alexandre Vauthier Fall 2017 Couture gown—although a slightly more moderate plunge would have been preferred as this one seemed rather gaping. GIuseppe Zanotti sandals completed the typically sexy Vauthier look.

Jared Leto: The actor continued his wardrobe antics in this Gucci Fall 2017 suit that will likely not be received favourably, as it’s just to comically try-hard. You may remember that Bryan Boy just wore this look, but at least his outing was properly tailored without the pants scraping the ground.

Leomie Anderson: Did I say Kendall’s look left little to the imagination? I’ll have to retract that, as Kendall looked positively modest compared to this see-through Versailles Boutique jumpsuit.

Larsen Thompson: The starlet continued to impress with her style-forward sensibility in this Andrew Gn Spring 2017 floral-embroidered dress, which wouldn’t have been much to write home about had it not been for the quirky intrigue of the sculptural shoulder. The Paul Andrew pumps were an afterthought for me, as I would have preferred a sandal that echoed the burgundy or green hues of the frock.

Bella Thorne: While this Pamella Roland Fall 2017 design was a marked improvement from Bella’s last outing, it was still compromised by the styling. Her hair was rather ageing at best, with the necklace and timepiece confusing additions to the glam gown.

Coco Rocha: Asymmetry took on new meaning in this Christian Siriano Resort 2018 half-jacket, midriff design.

Vanessa Hudgens: Despite the butterfly print that alighted across this Jeremy Scott gown, the mood was more gothic perhaps due to the Elvira-inspired locks.

Sofia Richie: The sexy edginess of a Julien Macdonald design was fully celebrated in this Fall 2017 mesh gown. I wasn’t a huge fan of the dress, but the styling made even less sense with the mussed-up, beachy waves and red Giuseppe Zanotti sandals.

Paris Jackson: I think this multi-coloured, boho beauty of this archive Jenny Packham ruffled gown would have translated so much more successfully had Paris opted for a sleeker hairstyle

Nicky Hilton Rothschild: If anything, I would say Nicky’s look was experiencing a case of multiple personalities. The Ester Abner Resort 2018 baby-doll dress and ponytail had a playful, girly mood, with the design’s lacy long skirt and diamond jewels copping a far more sultry-glam attitude. It left me confused.

Issa Rae: The actress turned up the glitz in a Pamella Roland Fall 2017 gown that sparkled for the right reasons.

Joan Smalls:
The see-through memo was not lost on Joan with this Zuhair Murad Fall 2017 Haute Couture gown that was striking in its embellishment and feathered skirt, to be sure. But, given its sheer quality, it seems so familiar.

Jamie Chung: Jamie nearly appeared to be swimming among scarf prints, as this Robert Cavalli Spring 2017 patchwork gown puddled on the floor around her.

Julia Restoin Roitfeld: Sharp, sexy, and minimal, there is something to be said for seductive simplicity as in this Alexandre Vauthier Fall 2017 Couture dress—although some may wish for slightly less au naturel locks and makeup.  A Giuseppe Zanotti clutch completed her look.

Nicola Peltz: It appears as though Nicola must have been in a rush and forgot to put her party dress on; she did have her party panties on with this Christian Dior bralette and logo slip.

Hilary Rhoda: Always delivering a sense of refined elegance and subtle sexy allure, Hilary was polished in a Markarian asymmetric dress enhanced by statement earrings.

Hailey Baldwin: This KaufmanFranco Resort 2017 metal sequin gown was a sophisticated look for Hailey, but with the heavily winged eyeliner and teased ponytail, I was getting a slightly dated effect, too.

Jourdan Dunn: The bold shoulders signature to a Mugler design were present and accounted for in this hot-pink Resort 2018 suit. With such a sharp silhouette and eye-popping colour, I would have kept the footwear in a tonal pink or black as opposed to bright white.

Cara Santana: Cara had a paillette party with this Galia Lahav Couture gown that featured a mesmerizing mix of turquoise and red hues.

Carine Roitfeld: Opting for classic glamour, the guest of honour donned an Oscar de la Renta Fall 2017 gown, with the structural corset bodice softened by the swoop of the skirt. Blake Lively wore the runway version.

Victoria Justice: I can see this Kristian Aadnevik Fall 2017 mini at an event like the Teen Choice Awards, but here, it translated as a bit rebellious-twee—especially with the booties and updo.

Adriana Lima: This glittery Redemption gown was slit precariously high, so I can understand why she posed with the Giuseppe Zanotti clutch placed just so. Embellished Giuseppe Zanotti sandals completed the overtly sexy look.

Sara Sampaio: The strange eclecticism of this look left me mystified, between the Mach and Mach Fall 2017 corset gown and its sheer slip skirt all tied up with a grommet belt, to the overly glam Jacob & Co earrings, dramatic oxblood lip, and odd Sergio Rossi shoes. It was like she was wearing six looks in one—plus her lingerie shapewear.

Jasmine Tookes:
In dire need of a steam, this Acler dress was still styled well with Jasmine’s Gianvito Rossi sandals and Ritani jewels.

Nadine Leopold: With pasties in play, the end result was a rather flattened bodice look that was nothing if not bizarre in this Marchesa mesh gown. Chopard jewels completed her look.

Heidi Klum: Another day, another questionable look for Heidi. Unfortunately, I don’t believe she redeemed herself in this Redemption Fall 2017 mini dress that showed off her favoured asset—her pins—but in dated fashion. Lorraine Schwartz jewels and Christian Louboutin heels finished the look that was also wonting for a sleeker hairstyle.

Shanina Shaik: Rocking a totally new ’do, Shanina has gone platinum and wore a sassy, sultry Balmain Fall 2017 embellished mini to prove that maybe blondes really do have more fun. Altuzarra sandals and Swarovski earrings completed the look.

Poppy Delevingne: There were a lot of sheer looks on this red carpet, but Poppy didn’t follow that trend. Instead this look was all about her abs, donning a Dundas Resort 2018 look, making the embroidered cape the focus.

Josephine Skriver: The model shimmered in Alice McCall sultry two-piece.

Olivia Culpo: After scrolling to the bottom of this post you are by now fully fatigued by sheer looks, so I’m sure you will just gloss over Olivia in this Jonathan Simkhai Resort 2017 frock.

Nina Agdal: Proving that evening dressing doesn’t need to be sheer, Nina’a Galvan black crepe gown is skillfully cut for a sensual fit. The look had touches of sparkle via the belt, clutch and necklace which perhaps this look didn’t need. My favorite part of this look are her Gianvito Rossi Opera leg wrap sandals.

Shay Mitchell: The actress’s dress was anything but demure with it lace side panels and slit.

Candice Swanepoel: The model served up an interesting take on the pajama trend wearing a luxe embellished two-piece look. It was a brave choice two as the blouse didn’t appear to be taped down, as the model can seen holding it close to her chest in every picture.

Credit: Getty

Brandon Maxwell Spring 2018 Red Carpet Wish List

Brandon Maxwell Spring 2018 Red Carpet Wish List

Fan Bingbing In Ralph & Russo Couture - 2017 Bazaar Star Charity Night

Fan Bingbing In Ralph & Russo Couture – 2017 Bazaar Star Charity Night

29 Responses to Harper’s BAZAAR Celebrates ‘ICONS By Carine Roitfeld’

1. Kelly September 11, 2017 at 15:15 #

Bless you for this long and detailed post FC! I kept scrolling and the pics never ended. Winnie’s dress is pretty but doesn’t seem to fit the ‘sexy party dress’ bill. The Roitfelds look great.

2. Elisabeth September 11, 2017 at 13:27 #

Yes! Scrolling through the comments to see if anyone had mentioned Cara already, easily the best dressed.

3. amy September 11, 2017 at 08:39 #

this is a bad bunch. I can’t even deal with how terrible some of these looks are.
    Gigi: overcooked
    Kendall: some much potential but wasted with useless sheerness
    Leomie: WORST dress of the year nominee. What’s wrong with her?
    Both Roitfeld looked nice. So do Bella, Coco and Jourdan

4. charlotte September 11, 2017 at 04:28 #

dear lord,what a complete mess.
    Leomi anderson’s “outfit”is so desperate,she might as well show up totally naked, we will probably appreciate her body more.

5. Schoolbea September 10, 2017 at 16:28 #

Hilary Rhoda looks decent and classy in a pretty ugly dress. I like Jourdan’s blazer.

And that’s all I can save from this nightmare. Was this some sort of attention-seeking contest?

6. AnnaP September 10, 2017 at 11:58 #

These people, models or celebrities or not, just do not know how to dress. If we had to judge 2017 fashion by these looks, we would conclude that it was well and truly dead. I am soooo tired of seeing women’s underpants and breasts – why do they do it? Do they look in the mirror and think it looks good?

Thank God for the Fan Bing Bings and Amal Clooneys of the world!!!

• SilentVisitor September 10, 2017 at 23:17 #

+1,000,000

At the beginning, I think it was bearable; I am starting to become allergic to the way women overexposed themselves these days….

I just feel like saying “Enough! no more underwear, boobs display, or both!”. We have seen it all. I wonder where it is coming from , was it always like that or has it gotten worse?

Just like you, I am thankful to Amal, Fan and all others who don’t need to remove their clothes to feel sexy or beautiful or whatever adjective is used

7. AnnaP September 10, 2017 at 09:43 #

I thought Halima Aden looked amazing at this function – would have liked a critique about her.

8. Pheephee September 10, 2017 at 04:33 #

If Kendall had lined her dress it would have been amazing!
    Gigi looks cra-zy.
    Winnie and Jared wayyyyy overdone.
    Leomie – naked and silly.
    Karlies bodice is wayyyyyyyyy overstretched and looks weird.
    Bella wayyyyyy better than usual except for the look on her face and overdone jewels.
    Nicola deserves a shout-out for the ugliness of her outfit. Its truly defining the ick of Dior.
    Sara Sampaio has done so much better.
    Nadine Leopald idk even know whats going on thee. Thats just bad. Almost seems like a photoshop gone wrong.
    Poppy looks like regal craycray person.
    Olivias outfit looks ug and not her usual self.
    Candice…….seriously???? holding ur top together???? Thats beneath you. Shes awesome and I love her but not here.
    All the others I didnt mention fall between ok and bad.
    ok im tired now haha

9. Meme September 10, 2017 at 04:13 #

They all look like trash. This isn’t fashion … this is a disaster.

10. Fiona-Brasil September 10, 2017 at 02:10 #

This whole party looks like a zoo to me! In this case I choose Jared Leto as my favorite.

11. Amanda September 10, 2017 at 00:44 #

I think Scary Spice is going to be pissed the Leomie Anderson stole her next outfit for her Americas Got Talent! Dear God she is one feather headpiece away from becoming a Vegas show girl. With a few exceptions that group is just a big cry for help (I’m looking at you Jared Leto)

• Catherine Kallon September 10, 2017 at 09:05 #

This really made me LOL, because it’s true

• CreoleLady September 10, 2017 at 14:30 #

• charlotte September 11, 2017 at 04:20 #

well said.

12. JHH September 10, 2017 at 00:37 #

What a mess — 39 outfits worn by models, actresses, fashionistas and PYTs and not one great look with 5 looking okay: Larsen, Hilary, Hailey, Coco and Carine. Jared Leto once again looks straight up crazy. The third row is the stuff of fashion nightmares. Bela Thorne would have been okay if her illusion neckline had been even close in color to skin tone. The rest range from whatever to awful. The bottom four rows are especially bad.

13. Paolo September 10, 2017 at 00:30 #

This has to be one of the post with more looks I can remember on RCFA!!
    I’m surprised to be liking Kendall Jenner!!

14. Marie September 9, 2017 at 23:13 #

I think Lindsay and Josephine look good, which is sadly very few considering how many looks I’ve just seen. (Winnie’s dress suits her well too, but it feels pretty overdressed for the event. And not good overdressed, but borderline costume-y overdressed.)

I have a lot of thoughts on the rest and why they don’t work and/or are complete misses, but I actually feel a bit disillusioned after this whole ling-up and don’t think I can summon the energy to type all that ojt.

15. Leandra September 9, 2017 at 22:49 #

Jordan is smashing that suit.
    JUlian Restoin comes 2nd.
    A bunch of horribly dressed people. Not interesting at all.

16. Caroline September 9, 2017 at 22:10 #

Karlie, Jourdann and Adriana, the rest are honestly a mess. I saw even more looks from last night, Candice Swanepoel, Natasha Poly and ALL were a mess. I’ll take those three and leave.

17. Delamea September 9, 2017 at 21:55 #

I can’t help but feel all these people need to eat something. Like 85% of them look so tired and anorexic. Also, incredibly tacky clothes for most of them. Only look I like here is Carine.

18. Chris September 9, 2017 at 21:45 #

Oh god, what a bunch of tacky looks.
    Coco pulls her look off, Jourdan looks pretty good. The rest is mostly tragic.

19. Noemi September 9, 2017 at 21:30 #

Coco Rocha is my favorite one. I also like Gigi Hadid and Kendall Jenner, even if she could choose a better underwear

• Crystalline September 10, 2017 at 01:33 #

I only like Josephine and Nina’s looks out of the bunch. Safe choice, I know. But I just can’t get on board with the others..

20. Cris September 9, 2017 at 21:17 #

Kendall’s dress was one of my favorites on the runway and she ruined it with her underwear…

I guess I’ll go with Hailey Baldwin and Jourdan Dunn. I really like her pink suit.

21. Alina September 9, 2017 at 20:54 #

Cara Santana looks amazing! Best dressed at this tragic event.

Kendall’s look could have been so beautiful, but it’s like someone said: “Nah, a beautiful, classy outfit won’t make the headlines. Make it sheer! Show your underwear!”.

The rest of the bunch consists of outfits varying from uninspiring to hard to look at.

• Alina September 9, 2017 at 20:56 #

Oh, and special mention to Hilary Rhoda for constantly being a class act.

• elle September 9, 2017 at 22:56 #

Alina, well said, I totally agree. I’ll add, ankles up, Jourdan looks nice too.

• Jess September 10, 2017 at 00:12 #

Yes, Cara is best dressed by a mile!