Menu

18.07.17 Premiere

Rihanna was on a completely different planet from Cara Delevingne at the ‘Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets’ LA premiere on Monday (July 17)—if her look was any indication, that is.

Her style universe was one of bubblegum pink, cotton candy clouds, and frou, as she floated out this Giambattista Valli Couture custom high-low gown paired with custom Manolo Blahnik lace-up sandals for that distinct RiRi touch.

I always love it when Rihanna keeps us on our toes with unexpected turns such as this softer confection that oozed with girly, Victorian romance, dramatic tulle and chiffon layers, and whimsical pouf.

A matching Judith Leiber clutch and a light sprinkling of Chopard jewels completed the fantasy look with the appropriate amount of subtle restraint.

I’m sure some may be reminded of another sugar-sweet Giambattista Valli design she wore a couple of years ago.

Credit: Getty

Cara Delevingne In Iris van Herpen Couture - 'Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets' LA Premiere

Cara Delevingne In Iris van Herpen Couture – ‘Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets’ LA Premiere

Poppy Delevingne In Zuhair Murad - ‘Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets’ LA Premiere

Poppy Delevingne In Zuhair Murad – ‘Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets’ LA Premiere

31 Responses to Rihanna In Giambattista Valli Couture – ‘Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets’ LA Premiere

1. Leandra July 18, 2017 at 16:00 #

Totally out of place and gives the impression she was trying to steal the spotlight. Forced and wrong for her body type.

• Nat39 July 18, 2017 at 17:12 #

I didn’t say it directly, but yes, completely wrong for her body type. If you put it on a girl like Zendaya or Lily Collins, it will look perfectly sweet and girly. But on more mature feminine forms it ‘s starting to look cheesy and forced – Rihanna totally looks like she’s playing “bourdoir games”.

• Leandra July 18, 2017 at 17:30 #

I think one problem is that the waist is too high which makes it more girly( as you said) and with that I mean younger, like in children clothes, not “more feminine” which would be impossible anyway with such explosion of pinkness and puffiness.
        And then the wrong styling (like if I knew a lot about it … )~ How does a square clutch fit with this dress ? And the gladiators ?

• Leandra July 18, 2017 at 17:35 #

By the way: I loved the “dictatorial charm” about the way of putting it in your original post.

• Nat39 July 18, 2017 at 18:00 #

It’s the waist, the off-shoulder, and both the ultra-girly style and length of the front skirt, and then she throws in the sleazy lace-ups and cutesy prom ‘do – No, no, no.

• Mimi July 18, 2017 at 23:21 #

I don’t think it’s out of place. Wearing silver to a sci fi movie is way too literal for me.

Def not in the majority but I love this!!! I love this collection it’s so refreshing and rihanna is slaying without even trying to me!!

2. Kelly July 18, 2017 at 15:57 #

Oh I love this! Rihanna is diva in the truest sense of the word, her presence commands attention, and she truly wears clothes – clothes never wear her! The puffy sleeves might be a wee bit too much and too twee but I’m always so enthralled by Rihanna that I don’t even mind! And I love a good lace up sandal Carrie Bradshaw moment.

• Caroline July 18, 2017 at 17:30 #

3. Pheephee July 18, 2017 at 15:07 #

This looks so so wrong on her. She looks like shes playing a five year old. Its crazy bad.

4. from-chitown July 18, 2017 at 15:02 #

Don’t like this look on Rihanna. It looks forced and try hard, especially with those shoes and hair do. Definitely a miss for me. Of late, her looks have been more misses than hits!

• Amy July 19, 2017 at 22:23 #

+1. Not a fan

5. meme July 18, 2017 at 14:17 #

even Rhianna can’t pull this hideousness off. she looks ridiculous.

6. Chris July 18, 2017 at 13:04 #

I’m surprised how many people are not liking it, I totally love it, she sells it.

7. Hermoine July 18, 2017 at 12:30 #

She looks silly and the dress reminds me of the other pink concoction she wore before

8. alvarospain July 18, 2017 at 12:18 #

9. Giada July 18, 2017 at 11:56 #

Not convinced by this look. I love the ethereal quality of the dress and pastel pink always suits her, but I dislike every other element. The hair, the shoes, the length of the skirt which isn’t very flattering. It’s a no from me.

10. P. July 18, 2017 at 10:58 #

This doesn’t suit her at all and I really don’t like her hair.

11. Christine July 18, 2017 at 10:57 #

The hair is not a good look. The dress is though!!

12. Random July 18, 2017 at 10:54 #

She plays Bubble and this is a girly bubbly pink look and I love it

13. Marie July 18, 2017 at 10:17 #

This is sad because I LOVE THIS DRESS TO PIECES but I’m not sure if it’s right on Rihanna and the hairdo and makeup take it a bit into silly territory? I’m weeping for what could’ve been my BDOTY under different circumstances…

14. TeaAtTwo July 18, 2017 at 09:41 #

Nope, this is too frou-frou and syrupy.

15. Kathy July 18, 2017 at 09:30 #

I’m a fan. It’s the level of confidence and the touch of irony she brings to the look that makes it work for me. She knows she has range, and she knows she looks ridiculous, but she’s selling it anyway.

16. charlotte July 18, 2017 at 09:26 #

she is way to cool for this dress,the diva hair and boots are total disasters.

17. Ana July 18, 2017 at 09:09 #

Not a fan of this at all.
    1- Knowing her usual style this seems so off, doesn’t suit her at all
    2 – Hate eye makeup
    3 – I feel like I’ve seen this look on her before

• Draga July 18, 2017 at 10:29 #

I agree. First moment I thougt it´s someway an extravagant bride…

• Nat July 18, 2017 at 17:15 #

I agree. I think she worn a similar look before. Maybe gives me the shock value of her pink Valli dress she wore for the 2015 Grammys. What killed this look are the sandals. She is trying to sell that under the knee strap for some time now. It is super ugly, tacky and cheapens most outfits.

18. Charlotte July 18, 2017 at 08:38 #

This dress is not working on her (I’m not sure it can work on anybody).

19. Nat39 July 18, 2017 at 07:06 #

Oh, come on…this is not your dress! Younger girl, like Zendaya for ex, could’ve carried off this lovely enchanting confection, but it’s completely wrong and cheesy on Rihanna.

• JHH July 18, 2017 at 09:08 #

I am really torn by this look. I love the dress but I am not 100% in favor of how it looks on Rihanna. I don’t think that she is too old for the style but I do find it a bit cheesy on her. Maybe it’s the color. I generally cannot get on board with this shade of pink on adults. On a side note, how many pairs of these sandals does Rihanna own?

20. Lashae July 18, 2017 at 06:48 #

She looks beautiful from the neck up (as usual) but everything below it is a no from me.

She’s been very ‘hit or miss’ lately (more misses than hits tbh)

21. Alina July 18, 2017 at 06:16 #

As with most of Rihanna’s looks, I can’t get on board.