Menu

03.07.17

Andy Murray starts the defence of his Wimbledon championship, with Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge watching on this afternoon (July 3).

As you know it’s rare for me to get excited about any look donned by the Duchess, but this Dolce & Gabbana dress swept me off my feet.

I love the relaxed feel and how the simple design recalls classic retro silhouettes.

It’s formal enough for the occasion without stripping away any of the fun and personality imbued by the polka dots.

Even the styling feels chic, and dare I say modern.

I can’t remember a time I didn’t see Kate without a clutch or a pair of L.K. Bennett nude, black or navy pumps, so this is refreshing on so many levels.

It looks like the new shorter hairstyle has put a new spring in the duchess’s step. Long may it continue.

Credit: Getty

Ronald Van Der Kemp Fall 2017 Couture Red Carpet Wish List

Ronald Van Der Kemp Fall 2017 Couture Red Carpet Wish List

Lily Collins In Christian Siriano & Miu Miu - 'To the Bone' Screening & Press Conference

Lily Collins In Christian Siriano & Miu Miu – ‘To the Bone’ Screening & Press Conference

24 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Dolce & Gabbana – Wimbledon Tennis Championships

1. charlotte July 4, 2017 at 14:16 #

thank god for the new haircut and the sandals.she looked FRESH after like….. a century?

2. kane July 4, 2017 at 13:40 #

The more I see this look, the less I am impressed with the polka dots and the cut of the dress, but I like the waves and thank God for the sandals.

3. LeeAnn July 4, 2017 at 10:16 #

Finally a better shoe choice but the dress looks like something Twiggy designed for M&S. it’s pretty meh.

• Catherine Kallon July 3, 2017 at 23:17 #

very similar. thanks

• Charlotte July 4, 2017 at 09:00 #

Helen Mirren wore the exact same dress too.

4. Carol July 3, 2017 at 22:00 #

She looks good and I like the shorter hair.

Is D&G recycling designs? That polka dot dress is almost an exact copy of one worn by Kerry Washington at an event back in 2015.

5. justme July 3, 2017 at 21:08 #

I was starting to think that she wasn’t allowed to wear sandals. Look at God!

The dress is ugly though. Oh well, we can’t have it all.

6. Nat July 3, 2017 at 17:20 #

I have always been hard on her for being boring and uninspiring but I am impressed by this look. It was not exciting as Queen Maxima but it seems that she is changing. I hope this is the first step in a new direction. I am happy she finally changed her shoes and bag and dress. I hope she keeps it up.

7. Caroline July 3, 2017 at 17:15 #

Lovely.

8. amy July 3, 2017 at 16:59 #

the dress is okay at best. I’m more impressed by the new hairdo and the sandals. yay! she did it! She looks young and free

9. Giada July 3, 2017 at 15:19 #

Dear madam in the polka dot dress, where is the Duchess of Cambridge and what have you done with her?

This is the best she has looked in a long, long time. The shorter, wavy hair makes her about 5 years younger, the sandals give the overall look a modern touch and the print makes it a wee bit more fun. Is it a look I will remember a few years from now? No I won’t. It’s still very safe and conservative. But compared to the previous looks of the last months which frankly, bore me to death, this is a good step in the right direction. I hope she and her stylist look back on this look and realize how just a few minor changes in styling can elevate a rather simple dress and make it a touch more modern and youthful. Keep it up!

Now if Catherine would be so kind to wear look 19 from the Alexis spring/summer 2017 collection to her yearly Wimbledon visit? The white ruffle shirt with the ruffle skirt. I know it’s useless but a girl can dream right? ;-P

• Catherine Kallon July 3, 2017 at 15:39 #

this made me LOL.

She really does look years younger.

• Chris July 3, 2017 at 16:26 #

I agree! For her standards, this feels really fresh. I was surprised when I saw this. Which usually never happens with her. lol

10. Maria F. July 3, 2017 at 15:18 #

I like the shorter hair and the shoes, but I am not a fan of the dress.

I do not like the 3/4 sleeves, feels a bit momsy to me and my pet peeve with these really expensive dresses is that they do not match the pattern, which in my opinion is the skill of designing and sewing. It looks lazy and amateurish.

11. Leandra July 3, 2017 at 14:50 #

She should wear BRITISH designers to promote them. Even more at a British event.
    I hate polka dots. Too costumbrist for my tastes.

• Catherine Kallon July 3, 2017 at 14:58 #

I do agree she should’ve worn a British designer, especially as she is patron of the club, but when she looks this good, I am prepared to throw those rules out of the window 🙂

• Leandra July 3, 2017 at 15:14 #

She does look good, I have to agree with you.

• meme July 3, 2017 at 15:17 #

She pretty much wears nothing but British designers so what’s the big deal if she wears a French or Italian designer dress once in a while? She looks fabulous. Love it.

• Leandra July 3, 2017 at 16:16 #

Because it is a British event where MILLIONS of people around word will be watching.
        That is why 😉 It is part of her duty.

• Schoolbea July 3, 2017 at 21:12 #

Yup! I don’t know if I am more surprised by her wearing this, or by her wearing this AT THIS PARTICULAR EVENT!

Nice change of pace, though. Maybe she couldn’t wait to break free!

12. Charlotte July 3, 2017 at 14:34 #

I don’t thinks her styling is very modern, the hairstyle (not a bob IMO), the earrings and the bag are severe.
    The only good thing here is the shoes, a nice change indeed.

13. Christine July 3, 2017 at 14:34 #

WOW! Her best look to date. She looks so young and fresh here

14. Jerusa Herrera July 3, 2017 at 14:17 #

First thing I noticed was her footwear, as you said, its very refreshing. She looks really good!