Menu

29.06.17

The Serpentine Galleries Summer Party

Rita Ora, Ellie Bamber and Stacy Martin weren’t the only ones at The Serpentine Galleries Summer Party in London on Wednesday (June 28). Here, a look at the other stars in attendance.

Gala Gordon: This whimsical white Chanel Fall 2016 frock wasn’t too innocent, as the edgy, black accents imbued the look with just enough rebel spirit. The dress could have used a less distracting bra.

Charli XCX: Also going the way of white, the entertainer was entirely lovely in a Stella McCartney Fall 2017 top and lace skirt that I was head over heels for. Structured, chic, and sweet—and not over-styled.

Adwoa Aboah: While this Chanel pastel-beaded, sheer gown may have appeared to have all the qualities of standard prettiness, she added a layer of quirk appeal to its romantic side with the furry Chanel purse and white athletic shoes. Say what you will about the unexpected sneakers, but it was the necklace that I found so unnecessary with the already robust embellishment.

Arizona Muse: The styling of this white lacquered Chanel dress perfectly complemented its sparkling and studded embellishment—from the silver clutch to the matching sandals. The wet-look hair may be more divisive, though.

Alice Dellal: Ordinarily, those spotted platform shoes would only be seen as hoof-like appendages to a look. But, so sleek and streamlined was this one-shoulder Chanel dress that somehow they landed more on the good side of their quirky, questionable status. A mini backpack rounded out the look with a sporty-chic finish.

Erin O’Connor: My biggest initial problem with this Emilia Wickstead Fall 2017 dress was how unkempt it seemed with the half-up sleeve and the visible creases. But the fit of the design was none too flattering either nor did the red slides to it any favours.

Claudia Schiffer: Originally, this Chanel Pre-Fall 2016 fit-and-flare dress featured a world of embellishment when it was sent down the runway. The supermodel pared it back significantly for a more laid-back approach, only enhancing it with a turquoise bag and black pumps. I wish she had likewise echoed the turquoise in a sandal.

Ella Purnell
: The oversized logo motif belt and color-block sandals brought a spirited, contemporary note to the more romantic undertones of this Chanel navy plisse dress. I do love how she echoed the red of the belt in her bright lip.

Princess Eugenie: Simple in silhouette, it was the boldness of this frock’s swirling, artsy print that provided its eye-catching quality.

Credit: Getty

Tommy Dorfman FROW at Spring 2018 Menswear Fashion Week

Tommy Dorfman FROW at Spring 2018 Menswear Fashion Week

The Coveted Italian Streetwear Line You Need To Know

The Coveted Italian Streetwear Line You Need To Know

11 Responses to The Serpentine Galleries Summer Party

1. amy June 30, 2017 at 11:29 #

the first row could be the same person. Was there some kind of goth “virgin suicide bride” memo?
    Elle looks adorable. Arizona and Eugenie are fine

2. Cindy June 30, 2017 at 09:20 #

Five of the top six dresses were horrid (exclude Alice Della) – each is ill fitting and look more like nightgowns that have lost their luster, 8 sizes to large. The pink Emilia Wickstead looks like a high school sewing project gone wrong. Claudia and Eugenie look fantastic. Mercy – what a wild ride!

3. meme June 29, 2017 at 16:22 #

Arizona and Schiffer’s dresses are great; the rest is horrid.

4. Leandra June 29, 2017 at 15:33 #

That 1rst roll is totally in tone with “The fearless Vampire Killers” movie. Horrendous.
    Erin was out of her mind when she agreed to wear that pink abomination.
    I like Alice Dellal’s look and Arizona’s as well

• Schoolbea June 29, 2017 at 21:56 #

I agree on every point.

Erin’s look is the stuff of nightmares. I think I haven’t seen an uglier pair of shoes in my life, and they are paired here with what you perfectly described as a pink abomination. This goes straight to the top of my WDOTY list.

• JHH June 30, 2017 at 02:16 #

Schoolbea, I posted something that said almost the same thing as yours but it never showed up so I have to go with at +1 here.

• Schoolbea June 30, 2017 at 13:32 #

Lol, sometimes it’s me who could subscribe almost every word you write!

5. Caroline June 29, 2017 at 15:26 #

This looks like a winter event. All the Chanel dresses are honestly awful.

6. kane June 29, 2017 at 14:45 #

Ella is the only one remotely memorable. That’s setting the bar rather low though.

7. Chris June 29, 2017 at 14:40 #

I kinda like Arizona’s look except for the hair.
    Ella’s look is nice, but a tad boring for a summer party.
    I’d be intrigued by Adwoa’s look if it wasn’t for the sneakers and that ugly bag.
    Princess Eugenie’s dress, which is Mary Katrantzou, btw, is cute, but the styling is so bland and those shoes are a no, she doesn’t bring any life to it.
    Overall, this bunch of looks isn’t particularly great or inspired to me.

8. Maria F. June 29, 2017 at 14:35 #

Ella Purnell for the win!

Followed by CharlieXCX, Arizona and Eugenie.