Menu

06.06.17

2017 CFDA Fashion Awards Red Carpet Roundup

A number of stars put their best fashionable foot forwards on Monday (June 5) at the 2017 CFDA Fashion Awards red carpet.

Jamie Alexander: I love the armour-like details on this Marc Bouwer dress, particularly the gorgeous sleeves. Jamie’s up-do looks suitably fierce, as are the beautiful Jennifer Meyer earrings, which drop like swords. The Giuseppe Zanotti sandals and gold clutch are suitably subtle too.

Meg Ryan: Understated yet opulent Meg’s Christian Siriano gown flowed perfectly. As effortless as this look was it risked being a tad vanilla. Monique Péan jewels did little to save the look.

Heidi Klum: The model wore friend and fellow ‘Project Runway’ judge Zac Posen’s custom gown. With her perfectly tanned skin and enviable body, this dress looks great. Sadly it’s completely forgettable. Take a few inches off the hem and this resembles a beach cover up rather than a high-fashion gown. Lorraine Schwartz jewels feel predictable and unexciting with this look.

Olivia Munn: Olivia is summer epitomised in Tanya Taylor with Christian Louboutin. I love the coral lip with the tan sandals and the red hues of the Resort 2018 dress. There’s a Hawaiian feel to this look, without it being gimmicky.

Rebecca Hall: There’s something whimsical and fresh about this dress from Gabriela Hearst Resort 2018. Yet it seems totally inappropriate in the setting. This is an ideal look for cocktails in the summer, but not for a red carpet.

Amanda Peet: The shape of this Brock Collection Fall 2017 dress starts off beautifully and ends unflattering by exaggerating the hips. The Edie Parker ‘Wolf Shard Lock’ clutch is too matchy-matchy, and the shoes are far too heavy. A miss, unfortunately.

Anna Wintour: The first lady of fashion wore a graphic Proenza Schouler Pre-Fall 2017 dress. The look feels heavy and shapeless, which isn’t helped by the awkward dress length. The strappy white shoes seem to belong to another look altogether.

Laura Harrier: I love the top half of this look. The Rosie Assoulin jumpsuit, from the Fall 2017 collection drapes flatteringly and gathers at the waist. The wide top is almost a cold-shoulder moment but stops short, creating interesting proportions. I’m not a fan of the heavy black shoes, which spoil the ethereal feel of this look.

Danielle Haim, Este Haim, and Alana Haim: The Haim sisters opted for busy retro numbers, complete with white boots. All three girls donned Diane von Furstenberg Resort 2018. Whilst the looks were haphazard and off-kilter, this just added to the sense of fun and energy.

Gloria Steinem: Her all black Michael Kors Collection look featured a fabulous pair of sequined trousers.

Kathy Najimy: The actress wore a beautiful deep read custom Christian Siriano gown. Paired with a messy up-do and gold clutch, she looked regal and sophisticated.

Credit: Getty

Praya Lundberg In Angelys Balek - 2017 CFDA Fashion Awards

Praya Lundberg In Angelys Balek – 2017 CFDA Fashion Awards

Models @ The 2017 CFDA Fashion Awards

Models @ The 2017 CFDA Fashion Awards

17 Responses to 2017 CFDA Fashion Awards Red Carpet Roundup

1. Amanda June 7, 2017 at 01:53 #

I think Meg looks amazing – understated and elegant.

• Arwa June 11, 2017 at 22:04 #

2. Vallath June 6, 2017 at 20:47 #

Sinead, you’re telling me that Olivia’s boring floral Tanya Taylor is right for a fashion-forward event such as the CFDA and Rebecca Hall’s slick structured dress isn’t? Olivia’s Tanya Taylor belongs on Reese Witherspoon and anything Reese Witherspoon would wear does not belong at a fashion event, much less any red carpet strutted on by Janelle Monae.

• Ana June 7, 2017 at 02:59 #

100% agree! +1

3. Sanya June 6, 2017 at 19:53 #

I love Meg Ryan’s look. She is one the best dressed of this event. Plus, we don’t get to see her so often at the red carpet events. Olivia and Rebecca look nice too, but a bit less glamorous. Heidi Klums is my least favorite here. That dress is just not nice.

4. Iva June 6, 2017 at 19:07 #

Meg Ryan hasn’t looked this good in ages.
    I love Olivia Munn’s dress, but it’s perhaps underdressed for the event.

5. Alina June 6, 2017 at 16:41 #

Rebecca looks very ladylike. I’m a fan.

6. Trinny June 6, 2017 at 16:38 #

Meg actually looks beautiful here. I like Olivia’s look too.

7. kelly June 6, 2017 at 15:47 #

I very much like Meg’s dress but I think I would have preferred it on a model; it feels too young for her (not trying to age shame). No one here is really standing out to me, which is a shame for the CFDA awards! Take some risk! Have some fun!

8. meme June 6, 2017 at 15:31 #

Meg Ryan looks amazing and I love Rebecca Hall’s dress. Immensely dislike Heidi Klum’s dress and Amanda Peet’s. And white gogo boots are a NO.

9. Melissa June 6, 2017 at 14:45 #

Shocked to see La Wintour without her standard Manolos!

10. alvarospain June 6, 2017 at 14:37 #

I love Rebecca Hall’s look!

11. The original AB June 6, 2017 at 13:52 #

Kathy Najimy is my favourite here. I love that shade of red.BDOTW

• AnnieOh June 6, 2017 at 17:30 #

12. Caroline June 6, 2017 at 13:21 #

Meg Ryan is my favorite here. She looks out of this world.

13. Schoolbea June 6, 2017 at 13:03 #

I only love Jamie Alexander here. That dress is to die for, and there’s a lot to be said about correct fitting lately… It seems to me like we’re seeing many tight dresses and fitting issues.

I like Meg’s dress, too, but I’m not sold on the colour. It gives me a bridal vibe, and I would’ve loved a bold colour given that the dress is such a simple design.

I’m quite enamoured by Rebeca Hall’s look, the slihouette is fantastic, she looks statuesque, and so fresh and beautiful. But as you said, it seems more appropriate for a luncheon or something of the sort. Still, seeing some of the other looks at this event, I’ll take it. I’m sure she didn’t look completely out of place.

14. Chris June 6, 2017 at 12:58 #

I like Anna Wintour, Olivia Munn and Jaimie Alexander out of the bunch. Meg looks pretty good as well.