Menu

22.05.17 Premiere

Nicole Kidman’s Calvin Klein By Appointment look for ‘The Killing Of A Sacred Deer’ Cannes Film Festival premiere this evening (May 22) isn’t one we will forget in a hurry; and that’s what it’s all about.

The black bustier and white tulle skirt flouncing a ballet tutu-inspired silhouette, designed by Raf Simons, is the stuff fashion dreams are made of.

Romance really took centre stage this evening, and the carried through to the flawless makeup and feather accents in her hair.

As not to make the look to prissy, Calvin Klein 205W39NYC black patent leather high heeled deco pumps aimed to toughen up the look, with Harry Winston Diamonds providing the finishing touch.

I have a feeling this will be marmite dress of Cannes.

So do you love it or hate it?

Credit: Getty

Cannes Fashion For Relief

Cannes Fashion For Relief

Sara Sampaio In Francesco Scognamiglio Couture - 'The Killing Of A Sacred Deer' Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Sara Sampaio In Francesco Scognamiglio Couture – ‘The Killing Of A Sacred Deer’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

52 Responses to Nicole Kidman In Calvin Klein By Appointment – ‘The Killing Of A Sacred Deer’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

1. kane May 23, 2017 at 20:52 #

I love the badassery of the shoes. What an update on 50s glamour. In the close ups especially I can’t quite shake off the thought that this is overall too young for her, but she owns it from afar.

2. carrie May 23, 2017 at 18:18 #

So unexpected! I love it.

3. Ari May 23, 2017 at 17:42 #

I LOVE every single thing about this look! She looks fantastic!

4. Giada May 23, 2017 at 11:37 #

Absolutely divine.

5. glory May 23, 2017 at 06:21 #

The dress is OK nothing Fab but what brings this look alive in the PERFECT hair and make up. She looks DIVINE

6. Jerusa May 23, 2017 at 03:57 #

Words cannot express how much I love this! Bravo Nicole! What makes everything so perfect IMO is that she seems to be feeling great in her dress.

Thank you again FC team. Amazing job

7. charlotte May 23, 2017 at 02:32 #

Love love !!
    so what she is 50,she still got that killer body and face to pull this off.
    Her statuesque presence totally helped elevating this look.

• Nat39 May 23, 2017 at 03:54 #

It’s not just about the age, it’s also about the type. Imagine if Sarah Paulson had worn it…It would’ve been a different story. Nicole has the right look, charm, and presence to sell it, plus in this case the sleek black elements keep it appropriate.

• charlotte May 23, 2017 at 09:18 #

thanks for filling in.
        I mentioned the age because someone commented this dress was too twee for her and I disagree.
        But you are absolutely right,she is the right type of woman to rock this look.it would look so weird on Sarah Paulson tho.

8. Aocc May 23, 2017 at 02:19 #

REAL Glamour! BDOTY for sure

9. TinaL May 23, 2017 at 01:57 #

Hands up in the ‘love’ group. She really pulls it off, looking fun and unexpected, instead of sugary or too ballerina-y.

10. Tiger Nueng May 23, 2017 at 01:28 #

Kidman remind me how fun of Cannes red carpet should be, stunning and unexpected LOVE this much

11. SilentVisitor May 23, 2017 at 00:25 #

Elle Fanning called and she wants her dress back………

Although I do believe this dress would look much better on Elle, there is no denying that Nicole looks great in it

12. Crystalline May 22, 2017 at 23:23 #

The skirt’s length is so awkward, but, imagining she wears the full length version still wouldn’t excite me. A pretty and dreamy dress but not for Nicole. Save it for Elle Fanning !!

13. Boy May 22, 2017 at 23:14 #

This is the first MAJOR fashion moment of the festival for me. Finally someone in something that showcases he true state of today’s fashion.

14. Marie May 22, 2017 at 22:26 #

Reading the post I was like ‘Hate? How could someone hate this? It’s so original, well-tailored, impactful and perfectly styled!’
    Apparently, it is possible to hate it. Okay, I would’ve loved it more on Elle, too (though her Gucci look would still be better) but it is a great look and she wears it very well.
    I love it.

15. Iva May 22, 2017 at 22:21 #

I’m in the group love. 🙂

16. Manon May 22, 2017 at 22:19 #

Absolute love! This dress, in its chic simplicity, is a knockout. It’s sheer perfection for Nicole and for Cannes.

17. Emma May 22, 2017 at 22:14 #

Nicole is beautiful and the dress is beautiful. I want to love her in it, but I can’t help feeling it would fit better with someone younger.

18. Pheephee May 22, 2017 at 21:35 #

This is absurd. Its way too cutesy and twee. It looks so silly on such a regal woman.
    I truly deeply dislike such a sweet tweeny look on such a beautiful mature woman.
    Way below her.

19. Yuri May 22, 2017 at 21:18 #

This really stands out! Absolutely love it!

20. Paulo May 22, 2017 at 21:13 #

I love Nicole but I hate this dress! I was a big fan of Raf’s Dior but he has yet to impress me with turning Calvin Klein around.

Maria is doing a much better job at Dior than Raf is at CK.

21. Angela Melanie Rego May 22, 2017 at 21:11 #

I’m never a fan of big bouncy tulle skirts so I can’t get on board with this. I’m not even moved by the rest of her look. This is a pass.

22. Fiona-Brasil May 22, 2017 at 21:06 #

Her face looks beautiful but the dress is for Elle Fanning unlike her stunning previous look which looked perfect for her.

23. Rebecca Z May 22, 2017 at 21:01 #

The dress is okay–I liked it better when I thought the top was a very dark navy….what I don’t like is her makeup. It ages her incredibly. The intense red lip and very light colored foundation take all of the life out of her face and make her look like an aging cranky bird. This is the same woman that starred in Big Little Lies in which she looked so gorgeous and sexy? hard to believe.

24. Melissa May 22, 2017 at 20:53 #

Magical. She looks like a music box ballerina.

25. TeaAtTwo May 22, 2017 at 20:46 #

I’m disappointed with this. I don’t like the skirt or shoes.

26. Caroline May 22, 2017 at 20:43 #

LOVE this. Completely unexpected and I’m loving it. She looks fresh and beautiful.

27. Gha May 22, 2017 at 20:42 #

She is gorgeous ! I adore this look head to toes. I love everything in it.

What does ” a marmite dress” mean ?

• Leandra May 22, 2017 at 21:01 #

Marmite is a sticky food paste with very peculiar taste, which people love or hate. Thus the love/hate situation for this dress.

28. Jeanne May 22, 2017 at 20:33 #

I think this is magnificent. BDOTW worthy and my favorite from Cannes so far. Aishwarya Rai
    may bring the drama that we all love, but this feels like such a *moment* to me.

Hair and make-up are perfect.

29. from-chitown May 22, 2017 at 20:29 #

I like it. She looks beautiful. And she looks like she’s having fun with the look and that’s what matters. This is a winner for me.

30. Alina May 22, 2017 at 20:28 #

The close up is gorgeous, but I’m disappointed by the rest of the look.

31. Fp May 22, 2017 at 20:20 #

Nicole you rock! What a gorgeous woman and awesome actress! She looks amazing. Very Unexpected! A true star! Wow!!!! Only her can wear this kind of dress. Far superior than yesterday’s look. She’s going to rule Cannes. First the Dior dress this morning and now this one. Looking forward to her ‘Beguilded’ look Wednesday and I hope she’ll be on the red carpet tomorrow too for Cannes 70th birthday montée des marches. And of course she deserves an award next Sunday!!!

32. Saudin May 22, 2017 at 20:15 #

It’s a cute dress but not for someone like Nicole…. It’s just too cute… maybe it would have suited better someone much younger

33. Ana K May 22, 2017 at 20:11 #

Love it! ?

34. Ramsay May 22, 2017 at 20:07 #

In one day – she managed to top everything that came before with the best photocall look and the best premiere look of the festival
    She gets the it designer of the moment Raf Simons for Calvin Klein
    And gets a custom design from him
    This is bold and avant guard
    And she carries it with chic and panache
    She wins the festival so far

35. Leandra May 22, 2017 at 20:00 #

How funny. Dior is doing street CK and Calvin is going Dior. Honestly this is very below my expectations.

• LeeAnn May 22, 2017 at 20:19 #

I thought the same but minimalist Dior . It’s Gimmicky to me .

• Leandra May 22, 2017 at 20:46 #

Great minds think alike 😉

36. Ale May 22, 2017 at 19:59 #

I’ve really tried to like this, but I can’t.

37. Nat39 May 22, 2017 at 19:57 #

O this is so charming! It’s cute, feminine, and not what we would’ve expected from her, the simple contrasting black prevents it from being too sugary. Her styling works delightfully and she carries it with finesse. I love it!

• gabis May 22, 2017 at 20:21 #

• anonymous as always May 22, 2017 at 20:47 #

38. meme May 22, 2017 at 19:55 #

I love it. I love tulle and I love ballerina dresses. Those shoes are to die for.

39. Chris May 22, 2017 at 19:52 #

LOVE LOVE LOVE.
    She looks gorgeous. This also feels like her best beauty look this year so far.
    I’m pretty surprised by this, it’s really not what I expected her to wear, but this time, it’s a pleasent surprise.

The last time she wore a Raf Simons design was when she wore Dior at the Cannes Opening Ceremony the year she was on the jury. So her wearing something by him again just now feels pretty right to me.

40. Jones19 May 22, 2017 at 19:51 #

Love it! Nicole has the perfect delicate ballerina look so this is perfect for her.

• Nat39 May 22, 2017 at 20:17 #

Totally…and it’s not too sweet or precious.

41. Nadia99 May 22, 2017 at 19:50 #

I like it but her photocall look was far more superior.

42. Tina May 22, 2017 at 19:48 #

She looks sooooooo stunning. I just can’t take my eyes off her. Simple and modern at its best. My favorite look from Cannes this year by far.

43. Aaron May 22, 2017 at 19:46 #

Again the hair lets down the overall impact of what would otherwise be an exciting look!!

44. Christine May 22, 2017 at 19:45 #

Reminds me of swan lake. She looks so beautiful, but I don’t know about this dress.

Had high expect ions. This is not doing it for me