Menu

Having skipped the photocall, Nicole Kidman made her first appearance on the red carpet for the ‘How To Talk To Girls At Parties’ premiere during the 2017 Cannes Film Festival this afternoon (May 21).

It’s the moment we’ve all been waiting for; and if you are anything like you are bitterly disappointed by this Rodarte Fall 2017 offering.

Even with all the embellishment this whole look reads grannyish to me.

My exact reaction was, “Oh dear god no”, especially after what’s been an amazing 2017 for Nicole on the red carpet.

The proportions are all wrong, therefore this blouse looks like a crop top.

Thankfully Nicole has several more projects to promote during this festival, and therefore time to turn this around.

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

Elle Fanning In Prada - 'How To Talk To Girls At Parties' Cannes Film Festival Photocall

Elle Fanning In Prada – ‘How To Talk To Girls At Parties’ Cannes Film Festival Photocall

Pippa Middleton and James Matthews Wedding

Pippa Middleton and James Matthews Wedding

23 Responses to Nicole Kidman In Rodarte – ‘How To Talk To Girls At Parties’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

1. Christine May 22, 2017 at 05:14 #

Not a fan of RODARTE, so no.

2. charlotte May 22, 2017 at 02:29 #

I usually get a few hits from her,most of the time they are misses.
    her natural beauty and statuesque presence elevated the whole look,this would even worse on someone else.

3. Fee May 22, 2017 at 02:11 #

At first I was like “Huh?!” Because I was expecting something “WOW”, but the look has really grown on me. Unexpected and now excited to see what else she will wear. So glad you are back BTW!

4. VG May 22, 2017 at 00:02 #

I don’t hate this, I just don’t think it’s worthy of a Cannes Premiere. Especially when you’re the star of the movie and especially when you’re Nicole Kidman! She’s worn so many amazing gowns to all these random events…why save this for Cannes?
    I do think she looks great though. I just wish she wore it to a party instead.

• Tina May 22, 2017 at 00:46 #

100% agree. You took the words out of my mouth.
      This dress has zero material with a Cannes premiere, especially it’s her debut appearance during this film festival. Bad bad beginning.

5. Bailey May 21, 2017 at 22:36 #

100% disagree with you. It’s an amazing look perfect for this film. She and Elle complimented each other very nicely. It’s fab!

6. Pheephee May 21, 2017 at 20:41 #

Meh. Its not what I’d expect from her at Cannes. Its a busy dress yet I still find it mumsy. Very disappointing indeed.

7. meme May 21, 2017 at 20:31 #

when Nicole gets it right, she gets it very right. And when she doesn’t, it’s AWFUL

8. Nadia99 May 21, 2017 at 18:56 #

Oh no…
    I hope she redeems herself before the end of the festival.

9. Marie May 21, 2017 at 18:16 #

Of course it’s disappointing, but she’s kinda selling it to me? Like one of those pieces I see on the hanger in the store and I think ‘this is one awful piece clothing – but I could make it work’
    She makes it work fine. But ‘making it work’ is not the kind of goal you step on a Cannes-RC with. From someone like Nicole, I’d expect she’d go for more than ‘looking somewhat okay’.

10. TeaAtTwo May 21, 2017 at 18:12 #

This is a more photocall look.

• Juan May 22, 2017 at 00:32 #

I agree. It would be a totally different reaction if this was her photocall look. I like the look but not for this occasion.

11. Leandra May 21, 2017 at 17:35 #

I’ll be the contrarian here : I do like it. It’s perfect for the kind of occasion she is attending and it has that romantic quirkiness characteristic of Rodarte . Plus I love the textile.
    At evening she will be wearing LVuitton Resort 2018, the black sheer dress with golden leaves. That is my bet.

12. alvarospain May 21, 2017 at 17:12 #

13. Jerusa May 21, 2017 at 16:58 #

She looks absolutely beautiful, but yes I’m disappointed

14. Caroline May 21, 2017 at 16:58 #

What was she thinking??? No from me.

15. Ramsay May 21, 2017 at 16:52 #

I don’t mind it
    It is a fun look for the premiere of a small indie movie
    I don’t love it by any means – but I understand why she went for such a left field look

16. Ale May 21, 2017 at 16:50 #

Oh no… Why???
    Nicole can do so much better. I’m really disappointed.

17. Chris May 21, 2017 at 16:50 #

I’m a bit torn on this one. It’s far from what I hoped for and I totally get where you get the grannyish vibes from… but I actually don’t hate it. I can’t say I love it, but I’m intrigued by it.
    I probably would hate it on most other people, though. But Nicole is doing a pretty good job at attempting to sell it.

• anonymous as always May 21, 2017 at 17:38 #

+1 to everything. I don’t love it (that’s for sure), but I don’t hate it either.
      I really wish she had wowed me though… Too bad.

18. Alina May 21, 2017 at 16:49 #

Big, big disappointment.

I understand that this was a day premiere and maybe she didn’t want an OTT look, but this is a big no.

Maybe the skirt could have been saved if she had worn it with a simple satin cami top and done something more…current with her hair.Those sandals don’t help at all either.

19. Tiger Nueng May 21, 2017 at 16:49 #

So disappointed

20. Nat39 May 21, 2017 at 16:49 #

Matronly, don’t like the past era design. I’m disappointed too.