Menu

Remember the time when Kristen Stewart wore a big frothy Oscar de la Renta gown and it didn’t feel authentic?

Well, as much as I want to hate this, this feels authentically Kristen.

Had you told me someone was going to wear a boob tube with frayed bouclé pinafore dress – despite it being Chanel – to the ‘120 Beats Per Minute’ Cannes Film Festival premiere this evening, I would’ve had to check your pulse.

But it’s mine I’m checking as I really like the look. Scratch that, I kinda love it.

It’s cool in a “take it or leave it” kinda way which I’m totally buying into.

I’m bracing myself for the comments on this one.

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

Aishwarya Rai Bachchan In Ralph & Russo Couture - '120 Beats Per Minute' Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Aishwarya Rai Bachchan In Ralph & Russo Couture – ‘120 Beats Per Minute’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Elizabeth Olsen In Marc Jacobs & Miu Miu - 'Wind River' Cannes Film Festival Photocall & Premiere

Elizabeth Olsen In Marc Jacobs & Miu Miu – ‘Wind River’ Cannes Film Festival Photocall & Premiere

57 Responses to Kristen Stewart In Chanel – ‘120 Beats Per Minute’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

1. gabis May 22, 2017 at 13:34 #

Oh yes, authentic Kristen indeed – sloppy and distasteful. The dress is already bad on itself but the plain styling made it even worse. Could’ve coped with this look had she wore it in a more elegant way like the runway model.

• Lola May 26, 2017 at 02:43 #

I disagree, I think the minimal styling works with this look. While I agree that Kristen’s style is usually sloppy, I think this is her best look in a minute- Its refreshing and so her! As for the runway look, I found it to be tragically over styled, losing whatever elegance that apparently only you can see.

• Lin May 26, 2017 at 15:14 #

The model has way to much on. You see the look and not the woman. Coco Chanel said Look for the woman in the dress. If there is no woman, there is no dress. You see Kristen in the dress.

2. Christine May 22, 2017 at 05:07 #

She rocks it! It works for her

3. jessmara May 22, 2017 at 01:42 #

Amazingly I don’t hate this. I think the ‘boob tube’ would have been better in grey or black but it feels like Kristen and she’s edgy enough to carry it off.

4. Juan May 22, 2017 at 00:47 #

We know she can do better, like the ‘Personal Shopper’ premiere pink Chanel dress. This is not good, even if she look comfortable in it.

5. meme May 21, 2017 at 13:13 #

I cannot wait until Karl Lagerfeld leaves Chanel. Coco would have fired him years ago. This is hideous.

6. Alina May 21, 2017 at 05:05 #

Cool can work at Cannes, but not this.

7. Angela Melanie Rego May 21, 2017 at 04:46 #

I think I would’ve liked this if the “boob tube” was a different colour. The nude colour dulls down the grey dress and those shoes don’t go either. Still an interesting look nonetheless. Love Kristen Stewart for doing her own thing.

8. fromchi-town May 21, 2017 at 04:31 #

Nope – not working, not even remotely.

• chyc May 22, 2017 at 04:40 #

9. Santiago May 21, 2017 at 03:20 #

Coco is rolling over in her grave.

10. Pheephee May 21, 2017 at 02:24 #

I think it suits her and she wears it well. Styled nicely…. I dont think its good enough for Cannes though. But I dont have high expectations from her ever at Cannes soooo

11. SilentVisitor May 21, 2017 at 02:04 #

I applaud her for wearing something we haven’t seen 10000 times……just for that, I like her look

12. Cate May 21, 2017 at 01:25 #

‘boob tube’ oh FC you kill me

13. Amy May 21, 2017 at 01:02 #

I don’t like it but I applaud her for trying something different. We always complain about people not being original so good for her.

14. Crystalline May 21, 2017 at 00:46 #

This dress is not for Cannes red carpet…BUT Kristen really sells the look. Looking at her smile (on the additional pictures) which is very rare, I have a feeling that she’s really comfortable in this dress. This dress really suits her persona.

15. Marie May 21, 2017 at 00:25 #

I… don’t hate it completely. I’ve seen her in unconventional numbers she totally sold to me, but this is… really not good. The bandage thing is so close to her skin tone that, scrolling, I did a double take, thinking the wearer is going bare-cheated.
    The shoes don’t really work, everything about the skirt looks awkward (it’s so tight, and the length feels strange)
    O feel lime they gave her a selection of dresses, and she hated them all, and had to chose the lesser evil, but still not really liking it.
    I have to stress though, on anybody else this would’ve gone on my WDOTY list without a second thought! On her, it… kinda works? That’s how far as I’m going to go.

16. Aysenur May 21, 2017 at 00:05 #

There’s a scene in that horrendous Adam Sandler film called Jack and Jill where Al Pacino calmly says “Burn this. This must never be see by anyone.”
    That scene sums up. my feelings about this.

• Amanda May 21, 2017 at 02:37 #

I agree with you and Al – ???burn baby burn

• CreoleLady May 21, 2017 at 11:00 #

Lol and agreed. She gets a burn notice from me too. I find the look interesting on the model the way it is styled and the fit. But on Stewart, it is a mess.

17. J May 21, 2017 at 00:00 #

A bandage across with chest with an 80s stirrup jumpsuit.

18. Nat39 May 20, 2017 at 23:44 #

Plain awful, and she looks as awkward as usual. (Li Yuchun looked more comfortable in her premiere look)

19. anonymous as always May 20, 2017 at 22:22 #

Surprisingly enough, I don’t hate it. She kinda pulls it off.
    She has worn looks with the same vibe and attitude that I have loved, but this one only gets a pass for me..

• anonymous as always May 20, 2017 at 22:34 #

Now that I keep looking at it (it did puzzled me a bit XD) I love the color palette on her, and her body looks amazing in it… So maybe I would have love it if it wasn’t in Cannes but in less formal event.

• J May 21, 2017 at 00:03 #

Because she used to being dealt with the ugliest collection since she’s the downer actress?

• Nat May 21, 2017 at 01:26 #

I agree with you. It feels her. I hate the shoes it looks too big on her but if it was something else I don’t think it would be her style. The dress itself is ugly but she makes it work.

20. Nadia99 May 20, 2017 at 22:16 #

Can’t hate it. I freaking love Kristen Stewart and I’m happy she presented her first movie as a director at Cannes today.
    You go, Girl!!!

21. dezabell May 20, 2017 at 22:08 #

Cannes demands drama which Kristen avoids like the plague. I quite like the look actually, I think she pulled it off quite well. Though I would’ve preferred the skirt slightly cropped and more flare with the shoes.

22. Nicola May 20, 2017 at 21:46 #

Wow, people feel STRONGLY about this. I LOVE this. Love her. She can do no wrong, in my opinion.. for a while now she’s been walking to the beat of her own drum and seems so much happier and Confident for it. She looks hot!

23. CS May 20, 2017 at 21:27 #

Yes, this seems to be authentic. That embarrassment of a lifetime role in Twilight, that’s not you at all right? You’re an ultra cool girl who gives no sh*ts, right? Look at you in that piece of trash! So badass, right? Totally not posing, totally not desperate to be labeled a cool girl, right? You wear what you want, right?

BUT NO, because it is not for a second believable that anyone would choose that outfit for the Cannes because they sincerely liked it: it was obviously chosen for attention.

• Caroline May 20, 2017 at 21:31 #

• Chris May 20, 2017 at 21:59 #

Among cinema lovers, she’s nowadays considered one of the best actresses of her generation, being the muse of auteurs like Olivier Assayas, so I guess for most people, her ‘lifetime embarrasment’ wasn’t really one. Besides, she doesn’t act like ‘Twilight’ wasn’t her at all, she still talks about it in interviews and says she has no regrets and liked it, despite what people might believe with her picking completely different projects these days.
      Also, she doesn’t act like she ‘gives no sh*ts’ either, in interviews she has talked about this prejudice people have about her and that it’s actually the opposite.
      So, what you wrote here isn’t how she presents herself at all imo.
      And I do think this is her fashion taste, she’s not a gown or couture person, you can tell she’s usually uncomfortable in that stuff while she actually looks comfortable in looks like this.
      But anyway, haters gonna hate, I probably shouldn’t even have responded, but here we go… lol

• Nadia99 May 20, 2017 at 23:29 #

Loved this reply, Chris.

• J May 21, 2017 at 00:08 #

You’re joking. She must have paid you. She couldn’t act before Twilight or after. People use Twilight as an excuse.

• Chris May 21, 2017 at 00:31 #

‘She couldn’t act before Twilight or after.’ You’re saying she can’t act?
          I follow a lot of film critics and read a lot in forums for cinephiles etc. and most of them love her these days. Her performance in “Personal Shopper” was spectacular and I know a lot of both critics as well as other ‘serious’ cinephiles that were very moved by it. I personally saw it at a film festival last year and thought it was the best performance of the year and I watch a ton of movies per year. She won a deserved César for “Clouds of Sils Maria” and a lot of people think she should have gotten an Oscar nom for it, the movie just didn’t get a proper campaign by the U.S. distributor. She acts next to actresses like Julianne Moore and Juliette Binoche and all those actresses have praised her. And, again, look up Olivier Assayas, an amazing, acclaimed french auteur who lovers her and has worked with her twice, he basically even wrote “Personal Shopper” for her, look it up.
          When you’re saying she can’t act, you obviously don’t know much about her filmography or about independent movies. Or you haven’t really paid attention to all that for the past three years.
          And yes, I could show you the receipts, aka. unterpin everything I have just said with links etc., but I don’t think that will be necessary.
          Besides all of this being pretty off topic on a fashion board… I’m just not here for this kind of trolling but also not chill enough to just ignore the message right now. lol

• Nadia99 May 21, 2017 at 01:08 #

Tell that to her Bafta, Cesar and NYFCC.

You should troll another website. This is a fashion blog.

• J May 21, 2017 at 01:46 #

Her BAFTA was the one they give out as a joke prize. Nope. I don’t troll this site. I comment regularly. I’ve followed it for years.

• CS May 21, 2017 at 05:56 #

It was a shallow comment in a fashion blog about an ugly dress. My mistake, I should have dug up all her interviews and researched her film career thoroughly instead of simply posting what I thought this outfit was projecting. I’m sorry. “She is special like diamond.”

• Chris May 21, 2017 at 11:47 #

My problem was just that you did not just make it about the dress but decided to attack her as a person and an actress instead. But anyway, enough of this.

24. Ramsay May 20, 2017 at 21:27 #

I like it as well
    She is my favorite of the day

• J May 21, 2017 at 01:51 #

PS: I had seen her in other roles before I ever saw Twilight–first was Panic Room. Try again. I know she’s polarizing, but she likes it that way.

• J May 21, 2017 at 03:24 #

Not sure why my reply landed under this one.

25. TeaAtTwo May 20, 2017 at 21:26 #

It’s ok. It feels more photocall than premiere and a tailored trouser suit would have been my choice but this does feel authentic, as you say.

26. Lola May 20, 2017 at 21:24 #

Are you kidding, right? Everything about this look screams for 72 hours in a psychiatry area. Shes can be cool in her androgynous better moments but this is laughable. BURN, BURN THIS WITH FIRE.

Madame Chanel deserves better and probably was rolling in her grave.

27. Cássia May 20, 2017 at 21:14 #

It’s Cannes, leave Thais ugly dress for another event

28. Olivia May 20, 2017 at 21:12 #

I would hate this on just about anyone else in the world but Kristen is totally rocking it.

29. Ale May 20, 2017 at 21:08 #

I’ll hate it for you.

• Amanda May 21, 2017 at 02:45 #

OMG that is so funny – I’m hating it for her too. Seriously this is just such a big fat no. I’m angry that she wore it.

• Ale May 21, 2017 at 15:14 #

Me too. With so many beautiful pieces from Chanel, she had to choose this.

30. Caroline May 20, 2017 at 21:00 #

Seriously considering this one on my WDOTY list.

31. Leandra May 20, 2017 at 20:59 #

No, sorry. Not even Kristen

• Leandra May 20, 2017 at 21:50 #

It feels sooooooooooo contrived. I can’t even, really.

32. Chris May 20, 2017 at 20:57 #

I mean… c’mon, she’s like the coolest person ever. She totally rocks this. LOVE.
    But I agree, I probably wouldn’t even like this on someone else. But Kristen looks awesome. And you can tell she’s feeling the look as well.

• meme May 21, 2017 at 13:17 #

coolest person ever? I don’t think so. and she has no fashion sense. she wears whatever Lagerfeld tells her to wear.

33. Amanda May 20, 2017 at 20:53 #

I think there are better ways to do cool. This feels like a home knit scarf.

34. dedel May 20, 2017 at 20:53 #

We won’t ask her to wear a dress a la Aishawarya but I don’t like it. At least, not for Cannes