Menu

18.05.17 Premiere

‘Loveless (Nelyubov)’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere Red Carpet Roundup

The ‘Loveless (Nelyubov)’ premiere at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival on Thursday (May 18) included a number of other bold names on the red carpet, although I fear that none of them will have upped the Cannes style ante this year.

Susan Sarandon: I was underwhelmed by Susan’s look at opening night and this Chanel Resort 2017 ensemble didn’t really change that sentiment. with Stella Luna ‘Le Smoking’ slingbacks, Chanel Fine Jewelry and Chanel shades

Robin Wright: Robin opted for a long gown this time out, but while the colour was magnificent, the satiny slip dress fell rather flat. A blue velvet Hayward clutch completed the look.

Uma Thurman: Uma impressed me yesterday, but I was left supremely puzzled by this Giuseppe Zanotti Fall 2017 ensemble consisting of a ‘Connie’ black croc-stamped biker jacket—why in the Cannes summer?—paired with an ill-fitting, creased satin skirt and a Tod’s clutch. It was a bit of a mess.

Thylane Blondeau: Not only did Daria Strokouz wear a similar illustrated gown yesterday, this exact Christian Dior Spring 2017 tarot-card design has previously been worn by Nicole Kidman and Sonam Kapoor. This is Cannes, and it is no time for such repeats. If only her dress had lived up to her gorgeous waves.

Lily Donaldson: This Christian Dior sheer corset gown has also become rather ubiquitous, making for a been-there-seen-that look, even if this version didn’t make use of the logo straps. Giuseppe Zanotti metallic sandals finished the look.

Petra Nemcova: This 2nd Skin Co. white gown was custom, which left me wondering why it didn’t seem to fit better. The leg jut made another repeat appearance, much to many of our chagrin, I’m sure. Chopard Red Carpet Collection jewels brought plenty of shine, and I did love Petra’s sleek, braided ponytail.

Credit: Getty

Araya A. Hargate In Olivier Theyskens - ‘Loveless (Nelyubov)’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Araya A. Hargate In Olivier Theyskens – ‘Loveless (Nelyubov)’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Naomi Watts In Erdem, Lela Rose, Chloe & Prabal Gurung - 'The Book Of Henry' Promotion

Naomi Watts In Erdem, Lela Rose, Chloe & Prabal Gurung – ‘The Book Of Henry’ Promotion

18 Responses to ‘Loveless (Nelyubov)’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere Red Carpet Roundup

1. Christine May 22, 2017 at 03:36 #

No exciting looks here. Sad lineup at CANNES.

2. stephanie May 19, 2017 at 20:00 #

There was another girl at the exact same event that wore the exact same dress as thylane! stylist fail!

3. bisbee May 19, 2017 at 16:08 #

I’ll just comment on Robin. She looks like she rolled out of bed and threw the dress on. Her hair is terrible, and that dress screams for earrings or a necklace. Very plain.

4. H May 19, 2017 at 13:59 #

Lily Donaldson’s feet are suffering a lot here. They should get her shoes that actually fit.

5. Claire May 19, 2017 at 13:58 #

If I see one more generic Dior dress on the red carpet I’m going to scream! Why are celebs so afraid to do something different these days? Everyone just seems to be wearing the same thing.

6. Grace May 19, 2017 at 09:35 #

I spy a fuschia shoe peeking out from under Robin’s gown — if that is true, I would like her outfit more, if only for the wonderful colours!

7. Caroline May 19, 2017 at 02:36 #

What the hell is going on here?? Disaster.

• Alina May 19, 2017 at 07:24 #

Exactly my reaction.

8. charlotte May 19, 2017 at 01:52 #

scratching my head trying to figure out Uma’s choice for that ensemble.
    Not only is it seasonal-inappropriate,it’s also ill-fitting and most of all, CREASED?
    Really Uma?

9. Oknow May 19, 2017 at 01:35 #

It is better to wear a pair of boring pumps than to mangle your toes and have them escaping out the sides of your too small delicate sandals.

• Jasmine May 19, 2017 at 06:57 #

crap — I hadn’t noticed that and now I’m gobsmacked. Us ordinary people wouldn’t/couldn’t step out of the house like that and she does that on the red carpet at CANNES?

10. Pheephee May 19, 2017 at 01:29 #

I am really surprised by Uma. She usually chooses better than that at Cannes.
    The others meh.

11. JHH May 19, 2017 at 01:25 #

All the outfits are awful. One of my pet peeves is the escape toe so I just can’t even deal with Lily Donaldson’s look.

12. Schoolbea May 18, 2017 at 21:55 #

I think Robin’s is the only look I’d save here, making an effort to overcome my dislike for satin slip dresses. Only because of the colour.
    Petra looks happy and neck up, she’s gorgeous, but that dress is a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen. And no more Angelina legs, please…
    Lily’s feet are suffering. Her toes are trying to escape the torture of those sandals. And the rest… No comment.

• Leandra May 18, 2017 at 22:11 #

“Waiting to happen…” Actually it did happen, there was no waiting , lol. Again I think it was quite proposital. Showing the crotch is easily becoming the “things to do at Cannes” for models.

• Chris May 18, 2017 at 22:21 #

oh, good to know.. lol. I just wrote a similar comment about a potential wardrobe malfunction before these comments showed up.

• Schoolbea May 18, 2017 at 23:20 #

Oh my… When your supposedly “shocking moment” is not even original and was done the day before…

13. meme May 18, 2017 at 21:42 #

Susan, Robin and Uma should know better; their outfits are awful. The other three are just boring.