Menu

Amber Valletta In Mulberry – ‘Wonderstruck’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Amber Valletta joined Michelle Williams and Julianne Moore for the ‘Wonderstruck’ premiere during the 2017 Cannes Film Festival today (May 18).

Mulberry isn’t a brand you really associate with red carpet looks, especially at Cannes, so I’m not surprised that I couldn’t find it in my heart to fall in love with Amber’s Fall 2017 – especially when I prefer the runway look.

Much like Robin Wright’s Saint Laurent look yesterday, this would make for a great party frock, but isn’t Cannes premiere worthy.

Where have all the go-big or go-home, BDOTY-worthy looks gone this year?

Is everyone saving them for the amfAR Gala?

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

Julianne Moore In Sonia Rykiel & Chanel Couture - 'Wonderstruck' Cannes Film Festival Photocall & Premiere

Julianne Moore In Sonia Rykiel & Chanel Couture – ‘Wonderstruck’ Cannes Film Festival Photocall & Premiere

Deepika Padukone In Brandon Maxwell - 'Loveless (Nelyubov)'  Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Deepika Padukone In Brandon Maxwell – ‘Loveless (Nelyubov)’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

16 Responses to Amber Valletta In Mulberry – ‘Wonderstruck’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

1. Christine May 22, 2017 at 03:27 #

This definitely stands out….in a bad way.

2. Alina May 19, 2017 at 07:50 #

Apart from obviously not belonging to this red carpet, I find this dress quite ugly.

3. glory May 19, 2017 at 02:00 #

That’s an awful dress

4. Pheephee May 19, 2017 at 00:57 #

Kind of a sad limp looking dress. Falls wayyy short but most of Cannes fashion so far has.

5. Lee Ann May 18, 2017 at 19:50 #

I love Amber but this is a mistake. It looks like a school fashion project.

6. Caroline May 18, 2017 at 18:58 #

I mean this isn’t bad, at least it’s not the same old se get but this isn’t right for a Cannes premiere.

7. Chris May 18, 2017 at 18:29 #

When I read these complaints about lack of ‘go big or go home’ moments, I’m like, what exactly does that even mean? What is a ‘go big or go home’ moment in 2017? Ballgown silhouettes are so dated and not 2017. Everyone is over sheer, over-embellished princess gowns. And I feel like we’ve already seen every type of Ralph and Russo gown on this carpet as well, they are starting to really look the same. So what is left are beautifully crafted couture gowns that bring the glamour the location calls for and we have seen those already, for example on Julianne Moore yesterday. So I personally am enjoying what we get and wondering what everyone else would even be satisfied with. lol

That being said, yes, this look by Amber totally is underwhelming. lol

• Schoolbea May 18, 2017 at 18:42 #

Loved the plot twist at the end of your comment! 😀

• Catherine Kallon May 18, 2017 at 18:48 #

Personally I am not talking about an Elie Saab embellished gown or a ball gown, just something on a grand scale.

I’m talking about something that doesn’t make me look at it and go – ho hum, NEXT.

Uma Thurman’s Atelier Versace gown, Monica Bellucci’s Dior gown, Elle Fanning’s gown are some of the few that have lived up to this event.

For me Cannes is about going that extra mile, this look is not worthy and that’s not because there isn’t any sequins or tons of tulle.

Cx

• Chris May 18, 2017 at 20:34 #

Thanks for your input. 🙂

• Leandra May 18, 2017 at 19:08 #

I like your comments and 99% of times I concur with you . Unlike mine ,which sometimes became monumental blunders, they are not only well reasoned but show your love for fashion is more than just going shopping and buying a pretty frock.
      Personally I abhor puffy princesses and I can not understand why a professional well succeded woman living in the 21 century would like to resemble a princess which is something anachronic to me.
      On the other hand I think many times Im over thinking and most people don’t go to all those mental elucubrations . And then there is the monetazation ( I hate this word…sounds so smug) of the red carpet that it can’t be ignored.
      You should come for tea some afternoon 🙂 or shopping ?

• Leandra May 18, 2017 at 19:24 #

* monetization

• Chris May 18, 2017 at 20:32 #

My comments? Thanks for that, I’m glad to hear that! I often agree with your comments as well.
        I’m a guy, btw, so my love for fashion is in fact not about buying pretty frocks, haha.
        I’m also not a fan of puffy princess gowns. They’re what I liked before I knew anything about fashion, actually; now, not so much.
        Yeah, I think I also sometimes overthink things… especially because it’s usually not possible to really find out what’s really the thinking behind a specific celeb look. Except for the cases where it’s clear someone got paid for wearing something, like the models wearing that ‘Twinset’ label yesterday.^^

8. Leandra May 18, 2017 at 18:25 #

When not even a supermodel of the caliber of Amber Valeta can make it work you know you’ve got a problem. A big one.
    What a horrid color scheme and ugly print.

9. Schoolbea May 18, 2017 at 18:23 #

She looks good, but I have to agree it falls short of a Cannes premiere. The rusty colour is not great for a red carpet, on the whole, it gives me upholstery vibes.

I’m tempted to say the colour is the greatest offender here, even.

10. JessNess May 18, 2017 at 18:03 #

Sponsored by Mulberry.

It’s so obvious she was paid to wear this. When was the last time a celebrity wore Mulberry?