Menu

17.05.17 Premiere

‘Ismael’s Ghosts’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere Red Carpet Roundup

More stars took to the red carpet for the 2017 Cannes Film Festival opening ceremony and premiere of ‘Ismael’s Ghosts (Les Fantomes d’Ismael)’ on Wednesday (May 17).

Lily-Rose Depp: Her creamy-white Chanel dress had something of a Grecian goddess vibe. She embraced the embellishment by styling the look with gold Chanel Fine Jewelry and Gianvito Rossi ‘Portofino’ sandals

Charlotte Gainsbourg: Like Robin Wright, Charlotte dared to go short in a Saint Laurent silver-studded mini. Was it a chic, fun look? Sure. Was it right for opening night? I’m not convinced.

Eva Herzigova: More metallic came out to play in Eva’s Roberto Cavalli Couture gold-flecked gown that was a stunning way to see the designer represented at Cannes. A Roberto Cavalli Spring 2017 antique gold leather clutch, Roberto Cavalli Resort 2018 platinum sandals and Chopard jewels completed the dazzling look.

Emily Ratajkowski: This brushed gold Twinset slip-style gown didn’t exactly come across as fresh or polished as I would have liked. It was really the statement, collar necklace that helped save the look for Cannes.

Hailey Baldwin: As with Emly’s dress, this satiny Twinset peplum design was made more special with the addition of bold jewels. However, the violet-blue colour was divine.

Daria Strokouz: We’ve seen incarnations of this illustrated Christian Dior gown before, but I can see its bohemian spirit more suitably placed for a photo call rather than opening night—especially with the flat shoes.

Coco König: The extravagance of dimensional embellishment on this Ralph & Russo Couture gown had a certain breathtaking quality, even amidst the sheer fatigue. I did wish for a sleeker bun to complement the dress. Chopard jewels finished the look.

Lara Leito: The sky-blue hue of this Ermanno Scervino Spring 2017 possessed a certain enchantment that perhaps ventured a bit too far into fairy-land with the wispy layers. René Caovilla sandals and an ATELIER SWAROVSKI Allegro clutch finished the ensemble.

Alba Rohrwacher: While this Valentino gown was rendered in off-white, it was still quite the solemn offering that was begging for a vibrantly sparking necklace or earring.

Sveva Alviti
: From the updo to the diamond choker and the strapless, ball-gown silhouette, there was a distinct pageant flavour in this look.

Susan Sarandon: The Chopard jewels are the only thing I’d keep with this look. The too-tight gown, the oversized shades, and the uninspired shoes all need to go.

Credit: Getty

Marion Cotillard In Jean Paul Gaultier Couture - 'Ismael's Ghosts' Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Marion Cotillard In Jean Paul Gaultier Couture – ‘Ismael’s Ghosts’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Who Was Your Best Dressed On Day 1 Of Cannes Film Festival?

Who Was Your Best Dressed On Day 1 Of Cannes Film Festival?

24 Responses to ‘Ismael’s Ghosts’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere Red Carpet Roundup

1. Gemma Rockets May 18, 2017 at 13:37 #

Adrien Brody for the win.

Not really loving any of the looks here!

2. valerie May 18, 2017 at 07:38 #

This is Cannes, this is on the beach and it usually is a lot less ‘long dresses’ than Hollywood.

I think the only one that got it right is Charlotte. All the others are waaayyy too formal and uninspiring.

• Mimi May 18, 2017 at 21:13 #

the color of hailey baldwins dress is AMAZING. It’s the best part of Cannes thus far

3. VG May 18, 2017 at 07:18 #

What is going on here?! These are all terrible!! Nothing worthy of a Cannes red carpet…heck, nothing worthy of ANY red carpet!!
    I’m hoping for better offerings on day 2 because so far I am underwhelmed.

4. MissCoco May 18, 2017 at 03:38 #

Lily Rose: I’m loving it. Youthful, appropriate for her age.
    Charlotte: She’s laughing because she forgot her trousers.
    Eva: Dated. It looks like a dress made for Dinasty.
    Emily: That chignon is aging her.
    Haley: Please girl have some fun! You are at Cannes!
    Lara, Daria: Unflattering dresses.
    Alba: I like it, she is consistent every event.
    Coco: trying hard, bad results.
    Sveva: Meh.
    Susan: please maintain the girls inside the dress.

5. Pheephee May 18, 2017 at 01:13 #

Susan looks ridiculous.
    Charlottes dress is not appropriate for this event. But I dont ever expect much from her anyways.
    Cocos dress is too busy and sheer and unflattering in the chest area.
    Emilys necklace is grand and stunning and so perfect for Cannes and really let down by the boring slip dress.
    The rest are fine to meh.

6. Charlotte May 18, 2017 at 00:29 #

It’s official,with everyone’s lackluster offering,I’m deeply underwhelmed this year,even Fan bingbing and Jessica wore boring dresses,What’s happening to Cannes?

• Nat39 May 18, 2017 at 00:50 #

I’m baffled and underwhelmed too. Not a single major show-stopper or BDOTY potential.

(There was one look, however, on a cute Asian actress with an impressive feathered swan-like bodice, white tulle skirt and a black glove (the kind of knockout drama – it’d be interesting if it got identified:)

• charlotte May 18, 2017 at 03:54 #

I know exactly who you were referring to,she appears to be an internet live streaming hostress in China and was only there to get slightly more famous.
        her dress was made by a local Chinese designer who is best known to be OTT.
        There is not a single look that I would add to my BDOTY list,which is very rare at Cannes,now I’ve placed my hope on Nicole kidman and Ashiwarya Rai.

• Nat39 May 18, 2017 at 04:41 #

Thanks:)
          It’s totally ott with its bold theatricality (although I find the construction of the bodice spectacular) – the kind of drama I’m craving right now – everyone is so forgettable, no one really SLAYED it on the red carpet.

• anonymous as always May 18, 2017 at 21:12 #

May I ask where did you see this Chinese girl? I am really intrigued by her outfit, the way you are describing it, and I would love to see it… I searched but couldn’t find anything!

• Nat39 May 19, 2017 at 14:42 #

Celebrity Stock Photos | Celebrities Picture Gallery | Getty Images …

There are more than 2,000 photos for the “Ismael’s Ghosts” premiere and only 1 or 2 of this girl, you won’t miss it 🙂 (she is a “guest”, no name)

Some may say it’s too much and she’s petite…but I’m just missing the major drama from the red carpet 🙂

• Nat39 May 20, 2017 at 00:17 #

Oh yes! Even better…she’s been identified – it’s Xiaoqiao Hong wearing a gown by Hu Sheguang.

• Nat39 May 20, 2017 at 00:42 #

some pics of her appeared today on fashionmagazine.com/fashion/cannes-2017-red-carpet and culturebox.francetvinfo.fr › Cinéma › Evénements

• Pheephee May 18, 2017 at 01:06 #

I agree. Im a lil worried. I expected WAY more esp from Fan and Jessica. Nothing majorly stands out like in previous years on opening day.
      Luckily theres many more days….

• charlotte May 18, 2017 at 04:05 #

Here is my theory:Since Fan and jessica are both on the jury panel this year,their juror duties kept them too busy and gave them very little time to prepare for the red carpet.Case in point,Fan bingbing didn’t even have time to change her hair and makeup from the photocall.
        Besides,she wanted to look more professional hence the bussiness-y suit and short wig,which is vastly different from her usual romantic and feminine style.

7. meme May 18, 2017 at 00:29 #

The bodice on Brody’s date is horrible. Hailley Baldwin’s dress looks cheap and she looks miserable. I can’t with these nepotism models. Susan, just stop already and put the girls away.

Eva looks gorgeous; the rest are meh.

8. Ari May 18, 2017 at 00:09 #

Lily: it looks like a generic “Greek goddess” Halloween dress
    Charlotte: maybe not the right look but I find that picture funny, like she’s having the time if her life and couldn’t care less
    Eva: idk how I feel about that pattern
    Emily: clashing and confusing
    Hailey: color is gorgeous but the dress looks so beyond cheap
    The next five are bleh
    Susan: if it fit correctly I would’ve liked it

9. Hermoine May 17, 2017 at 23:58 #

Good lord Susan…. put it ALL away ….. you are super talented and beautiful- no need for the try hard.
    I like Depp’s look, think the girl needed some wrangling
    I like the color of Hailey’s dress but not the design
    Eva looks nice

10. Nat39 May 17, 2017 at 23:24 #

The Ralph&Russo gown on Coco may be sheer but it’s captivating and I like her flowing waves adding some romance and compensating for some of the sheerness up top, I like this look, and Eva looks good.

• Alina May 19, 2017 at 07:36 #

I agree.

• Christine May 22, 2017 at 02:45 #

Agreed. I actually like it too!

11. Caroline May 17, 2017 at 23:17 #

How gorgeous does Eva Herzigova look???? Queen. The rest are a bit of a dissapointment.

• charlotte May 18, 2017 at 04:11 #

ITA,she really brought the old hollywood glamour to the red carpet,and at the age of 44,her body is so envious.