Menu

Fan Bingbing took an elegant turn at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival opening ceremony and premiere of ‘Ismael’s Ghosts on Wednesday (May 17).

By wearing a gown from the Elie Saab Couture Spring 2017 Couture Collection, the star ensured she would make a elegant and feminine turn on the red carpet.

While this ice blue color regularly reads as cheap in different fabrics and on different people, Fan avoids both, and simply looks fresh and seasonally-appropriate.

The built-in capelet is a modern and fierce addition to a classically ethereal look, but I do miss the jewels featured on the runway. Fan’s more delicate diamond pieces get lost on the dress, versus popping like the chunky gold items seen on the runway.

Otherwise, I love this look. Do you agree?

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

Robin Wright In Saint Laurent - 'Ismael's Ghosts' Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Robin Wright In Saint Laurent – ‘Ismael’s Ghosts’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Monica Bellucci In Christian Dior Couture - 2017 Cannes Film Festival Opening Ceremony

Monica Bellucci In Christian Dior Couture – 2017 Cannes Film Festival Opening Ceremony

38 Responses to Fan Bingbing In Elie Saab Couture – ‘Ismael’s Ghosts’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

1. Christine May 21, 2017 at 18:54 #

Nice but nothing wowing

2. desibelle May 19, 2017 at 19:44 #

I prefer the color and the way it looks on the runway.

3. Alex May 19, 2017 at 06:00 #

she got this backup dress literally 1 hour before the opening, and it’s not the even the first choice which was still under customs check. this could explain why she didn’t wow us, but still, she did a really good job!

• charlotte May 19, 2017 at 09:48 #

yeah,I just learnt that from an interview with Christopher Bu,there was supposed to be another totally enchanting Elie Saab dress for bingbing which has been held at customs,and missed the opening ceremony,they had to settle for the alternative.
      Also there is a custom-made gown(Ralph&Russo?I guess) still in the making and failed to meet the date of the opening ceremony,maybe she will save it to the closing ceremony.
      The short hair has been confirmed to be a wig,from a movie project she is currently working on.

• Tina May 19, 2017 at 19:49 #

Exactly. According to her stylist Min Rui, the original gown for opening ceremony can’t be ready on time as it was still in made. What a shame. It must be something to die for. And Charlotte, where did you get the dress stuck in the custom is Elie Saab. I don’t read about that in the CB interview though.

4. Otto May 18, 2017 at 22:49 #

The girl really understands when to wear what. As a juror, it’s such an appropriate dress. Elegant, stunning and nothing about looking flamboyant. Even though its below than my expectation, I still appreciate. Can’t wait for the next several days what she will bring to the red carpet.

5. amy May 18, 2017 at 09:02 #

she’s a doll. literally . the runway accessories are indeed better but it’s still a gorgeous look

6. anon May 18, 2017 at 08:11 #

As a juror, a subdued look is more appropriate for FBB this time. She would have been dissed for dressing to attract attention from fellow jurors had she worn something spectacular and flamboyant,

• charlotte May 18, 2017 at 10:24 #

ITA,that’s exactly what I thought.

• Schoolbea May 18, 2017 at 13:43 #

Yes. I even think it would be inappropriate to see her in a show-stopping gown that overshadows everyone else. Some commenters even pointed out that she was overdressed in the Ralph and Russo. Maybe because people are expecting something grand in the evenings? Dunno. To me, this is beautiful (though there is room for improvement), AND appropriate for her role.

7. Crystalline May 18, 2017 at 03:51 #

Despite of this look is below our expectations and underwhelming.. let’s admit that Fan Bing Bing in Elie Saab always looks divine. There’s still 11 days to go. I still have that expectation that she will WOW us.

8. MissCoco May 18, 2017 at 02:56 #

She looks nice and the color is fantastic, but in my opinion the bodice looks very plain without the jewlery and the skirt is far too long. I love the makeup.

9. charlotte May 18, 2017 at 02:37 #

well,this is underwhelming indeed.
    But she is a jury this year instead of a L’Oreal girl,so I guess she has other priorities other than dressing up.when you look at the group photo of the jurors together,she still stood out.
    Let’s not get disappointed yet,there is 11 days ahead.

• cs May 18, 2017 at 03:46 #

Dear me, thank you for this little explanation. Maybe this is Fan being “appropiate” and “subtle”, which is I suppose it still glorious compared to a black dress. Here’s hoping she also shows up as Fan-the-walking-parade on another day.

• Nat39 May 18, 2017 at 16:25 #

O no, no excuses:)) Nicole Kidman was killing it as a juror a few years back..

10. Pheephee May 18, 2017 at 00:54 #

O crap. I was expecting something so glorious and unique from her like many past Cannes. This is lovely and she looks great but its sooo generic. (not to put Saab down) Its still beautiful but dang it doesnt stand out.

11. Biqa May 18, 2017 at 00:48 #

Dress deja vu

12. Nat39 May 17, 2017 at 21:50 #

O no, this is so disappointing coming from her. She usually really brings it at Cannes esp. at the opening. This is just lovely but unexciting and forgettable. I’m totally missing the grand opening-worthy drama she usually delivers.

• Leandra May 17, 2017 at 22:04 #

ITA, word by word.

13. Nadine Hughey May 17, 2017 at 21:45 #

Still a great dress without the statement necklace, like it a lot.

14. Schoolbea May 17, 2017 at 21:37 #

Aaaand again Fan Bing Bing impressing me less than the runway pic? The world’s upside down!

I miss those golden jewels very, very much. They make for half of the appeal of this look. She looks tame in comparison.

15. Fiona-Brasil May 17, 2017 at 21:19 #

Gorgeous! But the runway looks stunning, better accessories, hair, styling…

• AnnieOh May 17, 2017 at 22:29 #

• SilentVisitor May 18, 2017 at 02:03 #

16. glory May 17, 2017 at 21:14 #

She looks absolutley GORGEOUS that blue dress looks divine on her…I don’t miss the jewelry of the runway at all. She ‘s giving plenty of glam

17. Caroline May 17, 2017 at 20:54 #

Another pretty Elie Saab gown but I’m over it.

• Juan May 17, 2017 at 22:48 #

+1. Me too, another Elie Saab gown. I´m tired already.

18. Sanya May 17, 2017 at 20:41 #

I expected so much more from her. This is just nice, not spectacular. I really hope she packed some nice Ralph Russo gowns that we will see soon. However, I do like her new hairstyle. It’s a bit edgy.

19. from-chitown May 17, 2017 at 20:38 #

She looks lovely and elegant. I do wish she wore the necklace from the runway – that would have made the look even better.

20. Tina May 17, 2017 at 20:37 #

It’s pretty tame compared to her past Cannes looks.

21. AnnaP May 17, 2017 at 20:30 #

This is what I call style. Fan Bing Bing can do no wrong in my eyes. Stunning!

22. Leandra May 17, 2017 at 20:22 #

I think perhaps I had too high expectations as I m not feeling stunned this year. She looks very nice but this is quite underwhelming.

23. Jess May 17, 2017 at 20:18 #

gorgeous, best of the day

24. KP May 17, 2017 at 20:06 #

This kind of felt like a copy of that blue Lanvin dress Blake Lively wore a few years ago

25. Marina May 17, 2017 at 20:00 #

She looks nice, but I expected much more from her. Also, don’t like her new haircut, it ages her.

26. Alina May 17, 2017 at 20:00 #

I agree about the jewels. The runway ones work way better.

Did I have my hopes too high? Because, while both Jessica and Fan looked beautiful, I’m slightly disappointed.

27. Dana May 17, 2017 at 19:57 #

Yes, definitely missing the runway jewels here. The color is divine though.

28. Chris May 17, 2017 at 19:53 #

It’s very lovely. At least it’s not one of the deja-vu Saabs. But I sort of am missing the years when she used to wear asian designers to Cannes.