Menu

10.05.17

King Harald and Queen Sonja of Norway’s 80th Birthdays

The celebration for the 80th birthdays of King Harald and Queen Sonja of Norway was held on Tuesday (May 9) at the Royal Palace in Oslo, Norway, with many royals in attendance.

Princess Tatiana of Greece: No need for royal blue when the shade of green is this regal. The asymmetric one-shoulder silhouette and the bell sleeves of her Celia Kritharioti gown only heightened the sleek, majestic quality.

Princess Sofia of Sweden: A study in embellished elegance, Princess Sofia was striking in an embossed black Oscar de la Renta gown.

Princess Sophie, Countess of Wessex: Also in a beautiful shade of rich green, this Suzannah gown may have been minimalist in form but the drama was brought in with the magnificent sweep of the train behind her.

Queen Sonja of Norway: There would be no missing the birthday girl with the lively zing of her chartreuse ball gown that featured exquisite, dimensional lace embellishment. Of course, King Harald of Norway was at her side in his formal best.

Queen Mathilde of Belgium: Classic and sophisticated, Queen Mathilde stood out in a red, tiered gown with cap sleeves by Giorgio Armani.

Lady Elizabeth Shakerly of Great Britain: Rendered in a light and lovely hue, Lady Elizabeth’s seafoam-green gown was dressed up with sparkling embellishment.

Crown Princess Marie Chantal of Greece: Everything was coming up flowers for this pretty Valentino ball gown and its all-over vintage blooms.

Queen Anne-Marie of Greece: Here, we have the depth of a royal blue hue, with the gown accented by a big pink rose for a bit of sweetly precious refinement.

Princess Mabel of Orange-Nassau: Princess Mabel returned to her personal archives for this Viktor & Rolf Spring 2013 dual-colour gown, which she first wore back in 2013. With the big bow at the center, it was just as chic and fun as its original debut.

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark: Skipping the traditional ball gown silhouette for a unique dropped-waist look, she wore this blush-nude Max Mara design well. I’m glad the shimmery effect of the embossed tapestry fabric added a glowing warmth to the dress.

Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway: Her simple white gown was enhanced by a floral motif at the neckline.

Queen Maxima of the Netherlands: Wearing a look from her favourite designer, Jan Taminiau, Queen Maxima embraced an elegantly whimsical sensibility with this gown that stood out not for its neutral colour palette but for its intricate flora and fauna embroidery.

Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden: Royal blue also came out to play in this Elie Saab off-the-shoulder gown, which was beautifully draped to her figure. With a classically graceful look like this, no wonder Elie is her favourite designer.

Credit: Getty

Debra Messing In Christian Siriano - 28th Annual GLAAD Media Awards

Debra Messing In Christian Siriano – 28th Annual GLAAD Media Awards

Olivia Culpo In David Koma - 2017 iHeartCountry Festival

Olivia Culpo In David Koma – 2017 iHeartCountry Festival

15 Responses to King Harald and Queen Sonja of Norway’s 80th Birthdays

1. Tenacious May 12, 2017 at 04:43 #

Princess Tatiana of Greece…WOW. She took my breath away. BDOTW worthy for sure. All she did was slip the dress on and she looks so statuesque and beautiful.

2. Giada May 10, 2017 at 17:45 #

Catherine, were you planning on making a post about the outfits worn at the lunch on the royal yacht too?

3. alvarospain May 10, 2017 at 15:52 #

Princess Tatiana of Greece and Queen Maxima of The Netherlands are my favourites!!!

4. kat May 10, 2017 at 14:11 #

There were many great gowns. I’m a bit disappointed you left out Queen Margrethe of Denmark who looked amazing.

• Catherine Kallon May 10, 2017 at 16:14 #

It was really hard to get the images, which is why I had to embed them from Getty. They only had a select number of people.

5. anonymous as always May 10, 2017 at 13:11 #

Everyone is so well dressed here…My favorites will be:
    1. Princess Tatiana of Greece:
    it’s not simply what you are wearing, but also how it looks on you. And she makes this beautiful yet simple dress, look like it’s the most amazing dress in the world. BDOTW worthy for me.
    2. Princess Mabel of Orange-Nassau:
    I don’t really care if it’s a throwback, it’s so bold, different yet classy and effortless it stands out in my eyes.
    3. Crown Princess Mary of Denmark:
    It’s a very simple outfit I know, but its’ modern elegance without trying too hard, is like a breath of fresh air.
    4. Crown Princess Marie Chantal of Greece:
    Another fresh look for me. If it was in a different event, maybe I wouldn’t notice this one, as much as I do now, but because it’s a royal event this honor-to-spring dress stands out in the sea of monochromatic dresses.
    5. Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway:
    I don’t know why but I found myself liking this one as well. It is too sugary for my taste but it also looks very luxurious that gives a joyous-and-perky-regal vibe, that’s also refreshing.
    p.s. I wished i could have a closer look to the lady’s outfit in the sixth picture behind Queen Anne-Marie of Greece and Princess Mabel of Orange-Nassau. It looks interesting.

6. amy May 10, 2017 at 12:56 #

Princess Tatiana is slaying. love the neckline of her dress.

7. Christine May 10, 2017 at 11:16 #

Princess Tatiana of Greece looks great.

8. Maria F. May 10, 2017 at 10:41 #

Princess Tatiana looks amazing. I agree that she is BDOTW worthy, but everybody generally looked very nice.

9. Giada May 10, 2017 at 10:38 #

Princess Tatiana is my favourite. Perfect look!

10. Marie May 10, 2017 at 10:02 #

Everyone looks so good! What a well-dressed event. I’m especially in love with Marie of Greece here, the beautiful, bright floral against the simple yet dramatic silhouette make such a great combination!

11. CreoleLady May 10, 2017 at 09:51 #

Princess Tatiana, on trend and majestic. Other faves: Queen Mathilde (red Armani) and CP Victoria (blue Elie Saab). Queen Sonja, just whoa, not everyone can rock chartreuse like that. Wonderful.

The men’s formal attire looks fine although I still don’t understand why it is so hard to have slacks hemmed properly.

12. colette May 10, 2017 at 07:26 #

Princess Tatiana looks so elegant and beautiful!

13. Alina May 10, 2017 at 06:56 #

Princess Tatiana of Greece looks BDOTW worthy. Stunning.

14. JHH May 10, 2017 at 06:51 #

Most of the dresses are lovely and elegant and appropriate for the occasion and the wearers. The first four are especially lovely. I can’t believe the guests of honor are 80. They look great.