Menu

03.05.17

Final Sweep Of The 2017 Met Gala Red Carpet

As you know when it comes to the Met Gala, we always – as impossible as the task is – try to feature everyone.

We don’t intend to leave anyone out, nor do we intend to disrespect anyone.

So here is the final sweep from Monday’s event.

As this is very last post, leave your top 10 in the comments.

Deepika Padukone: I was kicking myself for not spotting Deepika on Monday night. The Bollywood beauty looked breath-taking wearing a bias-cut Tommy Hilfiger design enriched with silver embroidery. Some might say the gown is too simple, but the accessories really help bring the look to life.

Tracee Ellie Ross: The ‘Black-ish’ star wore an avant-garde cobalt-blue Comme des Garçons creation, which I’m sure many of you would’ve expected Solange to wear. There is so much beauty in this off-centered design. I wish more had been brave enough to wear Comme des Garçons at this event.

Fei Fei Sun: The models were hugely disappointing this year as a collective, but Fei Fei Sun was a vision of perfection in Alberta Ferretti with a Swarovski clutch. She might just be in my top 10.

Grace Hartzel: Wearing Dior Haute Couture you have to give the model credit for committing to this avant garde look, which I’m sure some might regard as too cabaret.

Lily-Rose Depp: I’m not surprised to see Lily-Rose in Chanel, but I am surprised by how much I love this romantic Haute Couture hot-pink design.

Stella Maxwell: It would appear that H&M have come a long way since Helen Hunt’s disastrous 2013 Oscars gown, as Stella’s flapper-inspired beaded dress is simply gorgeous. What a way to work it.

Andrea Riseborough: As we all know Tom Ford only dresses one female celebrity for any major event, and while I was expecting that person to be Julianne Moore, the honour was bestowed upon Andrea. Going for the yin and yang in silver and gold, I love how the actress committed to the futuristic vibe of look with the hair and makeup.

Jemima Kirke: Even though the ‘Girls’ actress is wearing Chanel, this look has a “let’s throw things together and see if it works” feel to it.

Rei Kawakubo: I was accused of being disrespectful for not featuring the designer herself, but it would appear that the designer wasn’t really interested in being photographed at all.

Credit: Getty

Models @ The 2017 Met Gala

Models @ The 2017 Met Gala

2017 Met Gala After-Party

2017 Met Gala After-Party

50 Responses to Final Sweep Of The 2017 Met Gala Red Carpet

1. Kate May 5, 2017 at 03:16 #

Thanks Catherine & team for your coverage! So glad that you’re back; it wasn’t the same without you.

2. Aida May 4, 2017 at 10:15 #

Zendaya
    Blake Lively
    Rihanna
    Jessica Chastain
    Gisele Bundchen
    Halle Berry
    Hailey Baldwin
    Janelle Monae
    Zoe Kravitz
    Lily James

3. VG May 4, 2017 at 03:32 #

Top 10 (in no particular order because I just couldn’t do it lol)

Tracey Ellis Ross
    Mandy Moore
    Cara D
    Solange
    Rose Byrne
    Ruth Negga
    Rihanna
    Lily James
    Margaret Qualley
    Jennifer Connelly
    Aymeline Valade

Diane Kruger and Lily Rose Depp both looked amazing but I simply couldn’t feature them because they didn’t even try to reference the theme.

4. MissCoco May 4, 2017 at 02:44 #

Priyanka Chopra
    Rita Ora
    Lily Colins
    Zoey Deutch
    Zendaya

6. FashionLover May 3, 2017 at 23:38 #

Deepika was VERY elegant and classy, but I would have flip the dress around and worn the back in the front. Did you see the back? It was Amazing! That would have been my front. : )

7. Nat39 May 3, 2017 at 21:21 #

Agree about Fei Fei Sun. Some really good black gown looks at this event. Dakota, Mandy, and now Fei Fei Sun…

• Nat39 May 4, 2017 at 06:31 #

..Tracee did nicely and I like the look, but she didn’t KILL it. On the grand Gala scale, it wasn’t really major, no striking edge to remember, and if there was a time to do more with the hair/makeup that would be it (it almost looks too casual).

8. Manon May 3, 2017 at 19:49 #

I really like Lily-Rose Chanel’s dress too!

9. Juan May 3, 2017 at 18:29 #

FC, thank you and the whole team for the work you do. It´s amazing how you do it, with professionalism and in such an objective way. There were a lot of looks to be feature here and you did it without losing almost anyone. So thank you from all of us who love fashion and the work you do in here. It´s amazing to see you come back.
    If I have to choose a top ten, It would be really hard, bc almost everyone ignored the theme but some of them looked stunning no matter what.
    My top ten:
    – Rihanna, she is becomming the one to watch in almost every big event.
    – Lily Aldridge, the best one not wearing CDG.
    – Cara.
    – Solange.
    – Zendaya.
    – Michelle Monaghan.
    – Bee Shaffer.
    – Katy Perry.
    – Kate Bosworth.
    – Dakota Johnson.

Apart from them, there are a few that deserved some recognition like Kim K for looking really good without using her same old tricks, Kylie Jenner bc her dress was really STUNNING but she didn´t have the right attitude, Rose Byrne and Emmy Rossum bc they looked amazing.

10. Jess May 3, 2017 at 18:20 #

Thanks for the coverage FC! Fei Fei and Grace interpreted the theme in very different but equally beautiful ways. Tracee and Andrea looked good from this bunch too

11. alex May 3, 2017 at 18:09 #

Thank you Catherine for this amazing work. Just ignore those accusations. We are glad to see you coming back and covering the first Met since.

I only have top 3
    Rihanna in Comme de Garcon
    Feifei Sun in Alberta Ferrati
    Jessica Chastain in Prada

12. Susie May 3, 2017 at 17:21 #

Thanks so much to FC and team for your wonderful coverage!!

My favorites: Dakota Johnson & Zendaya
    Runner-ups (on-theme): Rihanna, Lily Aldridge, Tracee Ellis Ross, Fei Fei Sun
    Honorable Mentions (not on-theme but so lovely): Naomi Watts, Jessica Chastain

13. Tenacious May 3, 2017 at 16:41 #

Tracee Ellie Ross looks phenomenal! One of my favorites of the night. And Stella Maxwell looks absolutely drop dead gorgeous.

14. Chris May 3, 2017 at 16:18 #

I loved so many looks this year!! One of the best Met Galas in recent years. The first seven at least are BDOTY worthy.

01. Rihanna

Claire Danes
    Brie Larson
    Zoey Deutch
    Diane Kruger
    Elle Fanning
    and more.

Thanks for the awesome coverage. x

• JHH May 3, 2017 at 16:43 #

Thank you for the herculean effort of putting this together. I missed it last year and once again have to say thanks for coming back and for the terrific coverage.

My top 8 for the women are:
      1. Tracee Ellis Ross
      2. Cara Delevingne
      3. Rihanna
      4. Mandy Moore
      5. Ruth Negga
      6. Michelle Monaghan
      7. Claire Danes
      8. Helen Lasichanh

Best of the non-theme are Laura Dern (2), Jessican Chastain(3), and Katie Holmes (1)

Best of the Men:
      1. Rami Malek
      2. Nick Jonas
      3. Michael B Jordan
      4. Ansel Elgort

15. Ale May 3, 2017 at 15:52 #

Thanks for the amazing coverage, FC. I can not believe that Cannes is already so close!
    My top 10:
    9 – Diane Kruger
    10 – Jessica Chastain
    *Rami Malek

16. E May 3, 2017 at 15:32 #

Elle Fanning & Rami Malek

17. Ruchelle May 3, 2017 at 15:27 #

So glad you’re back to cover my favourite fashion event of the year, FC! Really appreciate it!
    This year’s event was such a letdown though. The event had so much potential, being a theme where you can dress ridiculously OTT without looking ridiculous. I mean, everyone was dressed so beautifully but most were dressed the way they would during awards season. These are my top 10 looks (well-dressed and aligned with the theme):

1. Rihanna
    2. Cara Delevigne
    3. Janelle Monae
    4.Rita Ora
    5. Lena Dunham
    6.. Lily Collins
    7.Ruth Negga
    8. Lupita Nyong’o
    9. Kerry Washington
    10.Rila Fukushima

Just wanna mention that I like how the Olsen twins interpreted the theme too (even though they weren’t featured). Their look might not be agreeable with many, but I thought they embodied the theme while remaining true to their style.

18. from-chitown May 3, 2017 at 15:11 #

FC – thanks for the fabulous coverage. Met gala and Cannes these past couple of years haven’t been the same without your coverage. I am soo glad you are back with the blog. Kudos to you and your team!!

My faves of the night were Rihanna, Lily James, Priyanka Chopra, Diane Kruger.

19. AnnieOh May 3, 2017 at 15:10 #

1. Rami Malek
    2. Michael B Jordan
    3. Alexander Skarsgard
    4. Jaden Smith

shout outs to Lupita Nyong’o, Diane Kruger, Jessica Chastain, and Brie Larson

20. SilentVisitor May 3, 2017 at 13:53 #

I can’t remember most of the looks but the ones that stood out for me (in no particular order):

Rihanna (her look really did stand out for good or bad reasons )
    Cara

5 Emily Ratajkowski
    6 Zoe Kravitz
    7 Tracee Ellis Ross
    8 Cara Delevingne
    9 Lily Collins
    10 Lily James

I also thought Naomi Watts and Gisele Bundchen wore really beautiful dresses, but for the wrong occasion.

23. EmmaWoodhouse May 3, 2017 at 13:32 #

Thank you, FC, for fabulous coverage!

1. Zendaya

Honorable mention
    Zoe Kravitz
    Lupita Nyong’o
    Reese Witherspoon
    Daisy Ridley
    Diane Kruger

It wasn’t a year filled with looks I loved–and many I loved were off-theme–but there were definitely some standouts!

24. Iva May 3, 2017 at 13:27 #

Fei Fei Sun – wow!!!

Lily-Rose & Stella – nice looks

Andrea Riseborough – an interesting look

25. Gracey May 3, 2017 at 13:06 #

Amazing coverage!! Thank you so much!
    I hope you do a post with your best dressed. I’ve always loved those!

26. Caroline May 3, 2017 at 12:46 #

1- Lily Aldridge in Ralph Lauren
    2- Emmy Rossum in Carolina Herrera
    3- Zoe Kravitz in Oscar de la Renta
    4- Cara Delevingne in Chanel
    5- Priyanka Chopra in Ralph Lauren
    6- Kate Hudson in Stella McCartney
    7- Halle Berry in Atelier Versace
    8- Zoey Dutch in Tory Burch
    9- Kate Bosworth in Tory Burch
    10- Kerry Washington or Mandy Moore un Michael Kors

That’s my top 10 in no particular order, this year I’m not including people who weren’t on theme like the Prada attendees who were all gorgeous but should’ve sabes that for Cannes.
    Rihanna Will probably win the poll since she embodied the theme perfectly well but I’m not a fan of being SO OTT.

27. Caroline May 3, 2017 at 12:35 #

I’m loving Fei Fei Sun.

28. faellie May 3, 2017 at 11:56 #

I’m always torn as to whether or not to include the models – on the one hand, they are there simply because they are being paid to wear a particular outfit, and I think “best dressed” should be about the individual wearing the clothes rather than the designer/stylist. On the other hand, are the models really so different in this from actresses and celebrities? There’s probably a thesis to be written about that. In any case, I’ve got two lists, of which “conventional” means “could do something in this outfit other than parade down a red carpet”.

Top 7 avant garde

Grimes
    Emmy Rossum
    Rita Ora
    Zoe Kravitz
    Lily Collins
    Lena Dunham
    Lily James

Top 3 conventional
    Laura Dern
    Diane Kruger
    Bee Shaffer

29. Giada May 3, 2017 at 11:41 #

In no particular order, and with varying degrees of sticking to the theme, my favourites were:

1. Rihanna
    2. Diane Kruger
    3. Zoe Kravitz
    4. Emmy Rossum
    5. Fei Fei Sun
    6. Michelle Monaghan
    7. Emily Ratajkowski (can’t believe I’m saying this, but credit where credit is due)
    8. Lily James

Thanks FC for the coverage! 🙂

30. Jessica May 3, 2017 at 11:23 #

1. Lily James
    2. Cara Delevigne
    3. Lily Collins
    4. Zoe Kravitz
    5. Zoey Dutch
    6.Gigi Hadid
    7.Riley Keough
    8. Allison Williams
    9.Kate Bosworth
    10. Diane Kruger (hardly on theme but j’adore)

Thanks for all your work FC xx

31. Angela Melanie Rego May 3, 2017 at 11:19 #

Hahahahaha that last part about Rei Kawakubo. I love your witty writing FC. Thank you and thank you to your team so very much for the tireless coverage. Your content on fashion is one of the best out there with none of the added sensationalism outside of fashion.

Top 10 might be a bit of a stretch for me simply because I don’t keep tabs. My favorites and most memorable were Rihanna, Solange, Ruth Negga, Cara Delevingne, Dakota Johnson and Helen Lasichanh.

32. Christine May 3, 2017 at 10:52 #

Also Zoe Kravitz. Her beauty and the cape of the dress alone was stunning.

Honorary mention goes to Rita Ora for her beauty look. Seriously her best beauty look!

33. Christine May 3, 2017 at 10:50 #

No top 10 since majority didn’t ADHERE to the THEME.

My best dressed are:

Rihanna
    Cara
    Helen (Pharrell’s Wife)

34. Schoolbea May 3, 2017 at 10:44 #

A Final Sweep! So many features for this event!

Thank you, FC, and thank you everyone else, really! I have missed this site so much, and to be back to this is just fantastic! This is the best fashion site ever, so informative and fun. I really learn a lot from all of you.

My top 10 (I hope I’m not forgetting anyone!):

1. Cara Delevigne
    2. Fei Fei Sun (in one fell swoop, at the last minute!)
    3. Tracey Ellis Ross (can’t believe I love a CDG so much!)
    4. Zoe Kravitz
    5. Rose Byrne
    6. Ruth Negga
    7. Eddie Redmaine.
    8. Rami Malik
    9. Zoey Deutch
    10. Rihanna

Sorry to leave out: 11. Emmy Rossum. 12. Hailee Steinfeld, …

My off-theme look of perfection was Diane Kruger.

Thank you so much!

PS: Did SJP not attend? Did she send Céline Dion as her double and stay at home?

• Nat39 May 4, 2017 at 02:42 #

Ha ha, I totally thought Celine was SJP.

35. Trinny May 3, 2017 at 10:33 #

Fei Fei Sun was probably one of my favourites of the night. That dress is a masterpiece.

36. Taylor May 3, 2017 at 10:22 #

1. RIHANNA
    2. Zendaya
    3. Rita Ora
    4. Lily Collins
    5. Zoe Kravitz
    6. Solange
    7. Priyanka Chopra
    8. Lily Aldridge
    9. Dakota Johnson
    10.Cara Delevigne

Kylie Jenners Atelier Versace would have been on my list had it been worn on Diane Kruger or Blake Lively(I Wish), but the craftmanship on the gown was lost on her as its to similar to things she has worn countless times before.

37. AMKH May 3, 2017 at 10:14 #

My top 10 : Ruth Negga / Rihanna / Zoe Kravitz / Rose Byrne / Hailee Steinfeld / Laura Dern / Zoey Deutch / Cara Delevingne / Emmy Rossum / Diane Kruger

38. Emma May 3, 2017 at 08:58 #

Yikes Deepika was so awful. The childlike headpeace was so aging on her, along with the aging makeup, made her look much older. (Nothing makes you look older than trying to look young. Totally thought the cut was unflattering on her body.

39. Crystalline May 3, 2017 at 08:53 #

SHAME on the reader of this blog who accused FC and her team for being disrespectful for Rei Kawakubo. Can you not at least ONCE give credit for FC and tram for their hardworking on making this blog alive?? There are so many people to be featured on this big occasion, and FC and team had given the hardest work to try to feature eveyone. At least gibe thanks to FC and her team for their effort!!!

• Hermoine May 3, 2017 at 10:36 #

I second that
      Woohoo FC…. you rock!!!

• guest May 4, 2017 at 07:52 #

+2 some people love to be hateful ad critical. You did a great job, don’t listen to them at all!

40. charlotte May 3, 2017 at 08:36 #

we are adding men to the top 10 list now?
    I could get behind that

41. Smruthi May 3, 2017 at 08:14 #

No pressure at all…we are the privileged ones for the coverage you do..don’t let some comments doubt that…

Deepika’s look was simple from the front but the back was a different story :)..loved how she carried the whole look..can’t wait to see Deepika at Cannes now that her appearance has been confirmed..

42. Alina May 3, 2017 at 08:10 #

Tracee Ellis Ross and Fei Fei Sun were one of the best of the night. Lily-Rose and Stella looked beautiful and elegant too.

• CreoleLady May 3, 2017 at 09:08 #

+1. Love this quartet. Ross is wearing a CDG look that I genuinely like (!).

43. Ingrid May 3, 2017 at 07:54 #

My top 10 : Rihanna, Fei Fei Sun, Aymeline Valade, Zoey Deutch , Dakota Johnson, Lily James, Hailee Steinfeld, Margaret Qualley, Michael B. Jordan, Zendaya.

44. Cate May 3, 2017 at 07:34 #

Pay no attention to the complainers FC. We appreciate the work you and your team do, always!Thanks for everything