Menu

02.05.17

Models @ The 2017 Met Gala

The models had their moment at the 2017 Met Gala on Monday (May 1) in New York City. Here, a look at how they made the night’s blue carpet their catwalk.

Bella Hadid: We’ve heard of the naked dress, but Bella had the naked jumpsuit of the evening in this sheer mesh Alexander Wang number that left precious little to the imagination.

Gigi Hadid: Her sister may have opted for the naked look, but Gigi just went plain nude in this sweeping Tommy Hilfiger gown—her version of a princess dress—that combined architectural tailoring with romantic femininity. To add an edge, Wolford fishnets did the trick for her leg jut that was likewise accessorised by Christian Louboutin heels.

Lily Aldridge: I loved the simple, sweeping beauty of this white Ralph Lauren gown, which was spliced through diagonally for additional skin-baring allure. The red Balenciaga thigh-high boots put it firmly within theme, as did the clashing fuchsia mesh piece tied around her head.

Kendall Jenner: Lest you think the naked dress was put to rest for the night, Kendall resurrected her own skin-is-in version with this La Perla crystal-embellished mesh gown. Tonight’s mantra among the models was clearly, ‘If you’ve got it, flaunt it.’

Behati Prinsloo: Taking a high-street approach, Behati still looked like a million bucks in a Topshop gown that oozed with sophistication.

Daria Strokous: The night’s flurry of tulle and feathery accoutrement was trotted out again in Daria’s Christian Dior Couture gown.

Liu Wen: Although the glitzy and glamorous top half and the distressed denim bottom half of this Off-White c/o Virgil Abloh gown were completely at odds, I was fascinated by its experimental edge.

Ashley Graham: You likely would have never guessed that this was an H&M design. The fanciful explosion of ruffles, not to mention the crimson hue, was perfect for the night. I just wish the bodice had also been finished in the tonal red colour. As presented, it feels disjointed.

Aymeline Valade: A round of applause is in order for Aymeline who showed that even all-covered-up looks can be equally attention-grabbing. While the magpie in me gravitated towards the mega embellishment of this Marni jacket and pants, I would have skipped the green shirt underneath.

Karlie Kloss: Donning a version of a tuxedo dress, this Carolina Herrera number was rather tame. I always find myself wishing Karlie would push the envelope just a bit further. That said, I loved her platinum ’do, which was perfect to honour designer Rei Kawakubo. She finished the look with Christian Louboutin heels and Forevermark jewels.

Joan Smalls: Flashing skin but in a more refined way, Joan was the picture of edgy elegance in this Topshop gown topped off with a lip ring.

Candice Swanepoel: Topshop again proved its Met Gala moxie with this voluminous black gown that made Candice the belle of the ball. It wasn’t the most avant-garde of gowns, but she used her exaggerated cat-eye makeup and swept-up ’do to add a mod finish.

Natalia Vodianova
: The pale pink and yellow notes of this Diane von Furstenberg gown weren’t the most flattering on Natalia, as they created a washed-out effect. She accessorised with a Paula Cademartori clutch and Repossi jewels.

Sofia Richie: This Topshop look didn’t really hide its less expensive side as well as the others, as the fit was off and the fabric offered a cheap sheen. Her sparkling Messika jewels were lovely, though.

Hailey Baldwin: We normally associate Hailey with an edgier style sensibility, but she walked on the sweeter side in this sugary Carolina Herrera two-piece gown featuring tulle layers in soft shades of petal pink. It all made for quite the ballerina-princess confection.

Adriana Lima: I was actually expecting more of Adriana than this simple Alberta Ferretti bodysuit and ball skirt, which she styled with Giuseppe Zanotti heels and Chopard jewels. Not that she didn’t look beautiful.

Karen Elson
: Unfortunately, this Lanvin dress was just a bit of a mess for me. I didn’t like the mix of satin, lace, and tulle, and it all strangely clashed with her fiery locks and equally hot coral lip.

Naomi Campbell: Also donning a relatively safe ensemble by her supermodel standards, Naomi (and her bob) still fiercely worked this Alaia gown that put her pins on display. However, something about it seemed a bit dated.

Freja Beha Erichsson: Light and fluttery, this was a lovely Valentino Spring 2017 Couture ruffle gown for the model. It would have been an even stronger statement had she defined a distinct beauty look rather than gone the au naturel route.

Natasha Poly
: Red came out to play again in this glittery Michael Kors Collection cutout gown. But, it’s nothing we haven’t seen before, and those black heels wouldn’t have been my first choice.

Doutzen Kroes: I couldn’t get past the sensation that this Brock Collection Fall 2017 gown was falling off her shoulders. It almost looked as if she had just unzipped the back of her gown to take it off for the night.

Jourdan Dunn: This H&M look had strong potential, as the criss-cross ribbons of pinstripe fabric made for an interestingly sculptural skirt. However, the white shimmer blouse I couldn’t get behind, so I will admire the look from the waist down.

Credit: Getty

2017 Met Gala Red Carpet Roundup

2017 Met Gala Red Carpet Roundup

Final Sweep Of The 2017 Met Gala Red Carpet

Final Sweep Of The 2017 Met Gala Red Carpet

25 Responses to Models @ The 2017 Met Gala

1. Manon May 3, 2017 at 19:50 #

Not convinced by any of these looks.

2. Alina May 3, 2017 at 07:04 #

Disappointed.

3. Christine May 3, 2017 at 04:58 #

Aymeline Valade is the only one that stands out. The rest are awful and tacky

• SilentVisitor May 3, 2017 at 13:19 #

Jourdan at least tried…….Doutzen’s outfit is tragic ( a contender for WDOTY ) and the person who put her in it should be fired lol……..

Bella and Kendall are among the worst!!! You might as well walk around in your underwear

4. Eliza May 3, 2017 at 04:11 #

Honestly Gigi’s look was one of my favourites of the whole night. It was stunning and dramatic and different and I really loved it. and while I didn’t love kendall’s or bella’s looks, they were definitely rocking them! Also–you mixed up Jourdan Dunn and Doutzen Kroes at the end.

5. Pheephee May 3, 2017 at 03:50 #

I loved Miranda Kerrs pretty dress. It was so delightful and feminine. Not on theme but as a dress, it was just gorgeous.
    Here, its jourdan Dunn. Its interesting and she really makes it work.

6. VG May 3, 2017 at 03:26 #

These women can literally wear anything yet most of them put on a few pieces of fabric and call it a day! I remember a time when models were fashion muses, everything they wore (off the runway) was inspirational! Now, I am so over them! Especially at the MET where they can at least TRY to make a fashion statement.
    What a complete joke the fashion industry is turning into!

P.S – Jourdan gets a pass, at least she tried.

7. Caroline May 3, 2017 at 02:55 #

I can’t believe Anna Wintour let Bella Hadid in looking like that. It is not even appropriate for the VMA’s, I just have no words, the same goes for Kendall Jenner.
    Out of this bunch, I love Lily Aldridge. She looked perfect, classy and on-theme. The rest are a dissapointment.
    P.S Jourdan’s outfit is by H&M as well, not Brock Collection.

8. Chacha May 3, 2017 at 02:41 #

FC, you have to look at Fei Fei Sun. She wore black dress with architectural arm design and it was really cool.

9. Vallath May 3, 2017 at 02:27 #

Ashley Graham is not overweight. She eats healthy and works out more than you do. All models at this level eat healthy and work out at least 5 days a week.

10. Vallath May 3, 2017 at 02:21 #

I am crazy for thinking Bella Hadid rocked her look, even though she is the same thing as a Kardashian in terms of privilege, famewhoring, friend circle and style.

11. Guy May 3, 2017 at 02:10 #

Catherine, we haven´t seen Anna Cleveland here. She really looked good wearing CDG.

12. Juan May 3, 2017 at 02:06 #

For me, only Lily Aldridge looked stunning. She played with the theme without losing sophistication. She is one of my best of the night.

13. Chris May 3, 2017 at 01:02 #

Aymeline Valade is easily my favorite of the bunch.
    The models have had better years at the Met.

14. Tenacious May 3, 2017 at 00:43 #

It seems the models completely ignored the theme of the night. However many of them still look great.
    I really enjoy Lily Aldridge’s ensemble, especially with the pops of color.
    Aymeline Valade looks great as well. I actually think the green shirt underneath makes the look for me.
    Liu Wen’s look is one of my favorites from this bunch. Although I really wish she would have opted for less jewelry.
    Adriana Lima looks beautiful, as always. At a different event, this dress would have made its mark. But she was outshined here.

15. Nadia99 May 3, 2017 at 00:33 #

So disappointed by the models this year…

What an underwhelming event.

16. Arwa May 3, 2017 at 00:26 #

Hi,
    You have mixed your review on Jourdan Dunn with Doutzen Kroes

17. Amy May 3, 2017 at 00:21 #

Honestly, none of these looks is truly memorable. They range from fine to downright tragic. Overall, bad bunch

18. Ale May 3, 2017 at 00:21 #

I think Kendall and Bella were the worst dressed of the night.

• Leandra May 3, 2017 at 00:35 #

To consider Kendal as “dressed ” is almost a stretch of imagination, IMO 🙂

• ayatlaw May 5, 2017 at 19:38 #

19. meme May 3, 2017 at 00:18 #

Sofia Richie is NOT a model. She’s not pretty or striking and that dress looks cheap. Deadeyed Bella and Kendull looked trashy. I’m never going to get Ashley Graham. She has a lovely face but let’s face it. She’s overweight and that should not be “celebrated.” We have an obesity problem in this country. You mixed up Doutzen and Dunn LOL. Doutzen has to be the most beautiful woman in the world.

• Tenacious May 3, 2017 at 00:46 #

I respect your opinion and views however I think it’s unfair to make those comments towards Ashley’s body with no knowledge of her health. She may be considered overweight but that does not always equate to unhealthy so therefore being built bigger and having extra weight on the body SHOULD be celebrated because realistically not everyone is meant to be thin or of a “normal weight.” She is confident in her own skin and confidence should always be celebrated.

• Lee-Shay May 3, 2017 at 15:20 #

The same could be said for how skinny some of these women are… women have different body types so it’s unfair to make assumptions. Also, Ashley probably works out more than me and I’m a UK8!

I love Aymeline, Liu Wen and Gigi’s looks.

20. JHH May 3, 2017 at 00:12 #

The names are wrong in the last two items for Jourdan Dunn and Doutzen Kroes.

Love Aymeline Valade but without the blouse under it and I am not crazy about the shoes. Also loving Liu Wen which is a great take on the theme.
    “Tonight’s mantra among the models was clearly, ‘If you’ve got it, flaunt it.’” Actually for models it’s “if you don’t got it flaunt it.”