Menu

02.05.17

Lena Dunham In Elizabeth Kennedy – 2017 Met Gala

Lena Dunham struck a pose on the blue carpet of the 2017 Met Gala on Monday (May 1).

The writer and actress wore a dramatic Elizabeth Kennedy gown with vintage-inspired diamond jewelry.

I’m lost as to what the connection this tartan-esque look has with the theme, but I’m still into it. Which, if you know me, and my very discontent relationship with Lena’s fashion choices, is a huge shock! The gown is fun, dramatic and Lena carries it off well.

Of course, my praise stops there. Lena’s boring kohl-rimmed eyes looks more emo-teen than high fashion, and her updo is just plain sloppy.

Credit: Getty

Selena Gomez In Coach - 2017 Met Gala

Selena Gomez In Coach – 2017 Met Gala

Elizabeth Banks In Michael Kors Collection - 2017 Met Gala

Elizabeth Banks In Michael Kors Collection – 2017 Met Gala

12 Responses to Lena Dunham In Elizabeth Kennedy – 2017 Met Gala

1. Manon May 2, 2017 at 19:07 #

Dramatic gown and great styling yet very out of place and not just because of the theme – it feels so much like a fall or winter gown!

2. Caroline May 2, 2017 at 13:47 #

What the hell even is this?

3. Silvia May 2, 2017 at 11:02 #

She’s lost in a sea of fabric. Horrible boring fabric. Her hair is a mess and she doesn’t know how to pose. I realise posing must be really difficult and awkward, but then if you’re not good at it, keep it simple?

4. Charlotte May 2, 2017 at 09:01 #

Her make up looks great, and I even like her hairstyle.
    I”m not a fan of the dress, but still I think it works on her.
    One of her best looks for me.

• Vallath May 2, 2017 at 18:42 #

I agree. Lena isn’t out to please the Minivan Majority like Taylor Swift, Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Garner or Jennifer Aniston.

Even though the designer is all wrong, I like this look.

5. Alina May 2, 2017 at 07:27 #

6. Juan May 2, 2017 at 05:20 #

I think I´m the only one liking this. She is doing something different so at least we could celebrate that.

7. Pheephee May 2, 2017 at 04:26 #

Well to my eyes it looks on theme with all that extra load of fabric. i see what she was going for. And for her, this is not bad at all. I quite like it.

8. Christine May 2, 2017 at 02:54 #

Big no

9. Vallath May 2, 2017 at 02:36 #

Lena Dunham should not be in Elizabeth Kennedy. Elizabeth Kennedy is the Lela Rose of eveningwear (i.e. for women in their 40’s-70s).

WHY did her stylist and Lena agree on this designer? Do they not know anything about the politics of fashion? No one A-List or cool wears Elizabeth Kennedy. Celebrities, for the most part, always want to be A-List and cool, no matter what they say, so I don’t understand this choice of designer.

Lena could have rocked custom Marni. I know she likes Marni, so she could have hooked herself up with that collaboration.

I do like the look though, ha.

10. Pavement Frippery May 2, 2017 at 02:27 #

More a gingham than tartan – and in any case, Rei Kawakubo has made use of both fabrics throughout her career. That and the volume of the gown makes this one of the more on-theme looks of the night.

11. elle May 2, 2017 at 02:25 #

Her eye makeup is great, very flattering.
    It kind of looks like her hair hasn’t been washed in a while tho.