Menu

02.05.17

2017 Met Gala Red Carpet Roundup

Many more stars were at the 2017 Met Gala on Monday (May 1) in New York City.

Hailee Steinfeld: I love the deconstructed kimono edge of this Vera Wang design that was both playful and progressive. Hailee’s twisted top knot and winged eye liner likewise sold the look to me.

Dasha Zhukova
: Dasha softly echoed the theme with this red floral Proenza Schouler keyhole gown.

Olivia Cooke: Also wearing the colour of the night, Olivia donned a seductive red Burberry gown with boudoir lace that got creative in its asymmetry.

Paris Jackson: In a sea of statement-making gowns, this Calvin Klein Collection dress registered as a bit forgettable. That said, Paris has never looked more sophisticated despite the slight suggestion of underboob.

Margaret Qualley
: I was completely in love with the sculptural pristineness of this Atelier Prabal Gurung masterpiece that maintained the night’s theme in the most classically refined of ways.

Sarah Paulson: Sarah is never afraid to push the envelope, but this Prada gown isn’t all that ground-breaking for her. In fact, it was a rather plain design only saved by the tufts of plumage at the sleeves and hem. However, I’m not sure I’m on board with the feather-duster design.

Isabelle Huppert: With a signature French twist, she brought Parisian chic to the proceedings in this Christian Dior Couture look styled with Repossi jewels. It may not have all the bells and whistles, but the ensemble’s balance of structure and softness was surprisingly in tune with the night.

Ruth Negga
: Her Valentino Spring 2017 Couture gown may not have photographed well, but that will do nothing to lessen my affection for the stunning, cape-like robe design. With a painterly, stamped motif throughout and exuding subtle architectural drama in spades, this was a lesson in how to work a theme in all the right ways.

Catherine Deneuve: This floral-patterned Louis Vuitton frock just seemed so misplaced for the night—no matter how many silver accessories she added.

Mary J Blige: While her figure looks phenomenal, her La Perla corset slip was more in line with something we’d see at a Victoria’s Secret after party than the Met Gala—that is, unless the theme was lingerie.

Mandy Moore: I was in awe of Mandy’s Michael Kors Collection cold-shouldergown, which favoured a sense of provocative, experimental allure over her signature ladylike style. The mismatched earrings and lavender eye shadow only intensified the powerful effect of the look. Who knew black could be so multi-dimensional.

Sasha Lane: Effervescently youthful; fancifully fun; and voluminously on-theme—what’s not to like about Sasha’s H&M frock?

Stacy Martin
: Stacy took a more sombre approach in a Miu Miu embellished dressing gown that flirted with a darker, girly sensibility.

Laura Dern: Laura was striking in this Gabriela Hearst cutout gown that also happened to be highly practical. My favourite part of the dress—the dotted train in the back—was removable, making it a shoo-in for the dance floor.

Rila Fukushima: The ruffles came out to play in this Louis Vuitton frock that put the girly in avant-garde, especially when styled with the over-the-knee loafer boots.

Grimes: With her black blunt cut, Grimes fully embraced the spirit of the night in a custom Proenza Schouler gown.

Monica Bellucci: Monica’s looks have the tendency to verge into vampy territory for me, and this Valentino Couture sheer gown was no different. Her goth makeup didn’t help matters.

Madonna: Madge never met a theme she didn’t love, but this Moschino camo gown with its tangle of a leafy foliage train, piles of necklaces and jewels, and black opera gloves just looked lost in the woods.

Frances Bean Cobain: Sheer hit the red carpet again in this Marc Jacobs gown.

Coco Brandolini D’Adda: We saw Kerry Washington in a patchwork gown, but this Dolce & Gabbana Alta Moda dress took patterns and patchwork to another level. But, it was just too much material.

Róisín Murphy: I’m afraid all I saw in this Marni outfit was an amateur mess. The oversized paillettes were just comical.

Lauren Santo Domingo: Feathers proved to be a trend of the night, and this custom Proenza Schouler gown made use of the plumage for a textural effect on the monochromatic gown. Chandelier earrings and a statement choker necklace elevated the dramatic glamour of the look.

Credit: Getty

Sofia Vergara's Zimmermann Aerial Flounce silk dress

Sofia Vergara’s Zimmermann Aerial Flounce silk dress

Models @ The 2017 Met Gala

Models @ The 2017 Met Gala

30 Responses to 2017 Met Gala Red Carpet Roundup

1. Iva May 3, 2017 at 13:37 #

Margaret Qualley out of the bunch.

2. Charlotte May 3, 2017 at 08:45 #

Laura Dern looks great, one of her best looks !
    Maybe not right for the event though.

What happened to Monica Bellucci ?
    She was never groundbreaking on the red carpet sure, but she used to be WOW. Now, she always looks quite ridiculous.

3. Alina May 3, 2017 at 06:36 #

Margaret Qualley was one of my favorites of the night. Exquisite!

Ruth Negga, Mandy Moore and Laura Dern looked beautiful too.

4. Christine May 3, 2017 at 04:54 #

I like Ruth Negga and Hailee Steinfield.

5. MissCoco May 3, 2017 at 03:57 #

Totally agree with all of your remarks Catherine, I’m only missing Tracy Ellis Ross and Caroline Kennedy here, both in CDG looks. Well done FC!

6. VG May 3, 2017 at 03:38 #

Thank you FC for all the hard work you and your team put into covering this event! Please ignore all the people complaining over celebrity post placements and who was or wasn’t featured.

Margaret Qualley looks phenomenal! I also love Ruth (shame it didn’t photograph well) and Isabelle Hubert who looks like the epitome of French chic.

7. Nat39 May 3, 2017 at 03:01 #

The gown on Margaret is beautiful and Mandy Moore looks sexy and fab, my fave black look of the night.

• Nat39 May 3, 2017 at 06:30 #

..oh and I loved Dakota’s dramatic black Gucci of course.

8. Caroline May 3, 2017 at 02:59 #

I love Mandy Moore here. She looks sensational.

9. Nadia99 May 3, 2017 at 01:39 #

Ruth & Margaret are the best by far.

10. Schoolbea May 2, 2017 at 23:55 #

I think Ruth Negga’s is one of the most intriguing looks I’ve seen from the night. I would have loved to have seen it in person, it looks like the texture was really interesting.

Honourable mentions for Hailee and Rila. The rest I find a bit boring for the MET, even if some of them looked gorgeous and would’ve been nothing short of BDOTW on another event (Laura Dern, Mandy Moore, Margaret Qualley).

11. alvarospain May 2, 2017 at 23:48 #

I like Sarah Paulson, Lauren Santo Domingo, Sasha and Margaret

12. Tenacious May 2, 2017 at 23:39 #

Ruth Negga was my favorite of the bunch and one of my best dressed all night. She definitely fit the theme and put her own spin on it. I absolutely loved her look.
    Lauren Santo Domingo’s dress is beautiful, however; she over did it with the jewelry.
    Madonna looks like she is wearing a Halloween costume.
    Margaret Qualley also looks great.

13. Jess May 2, 2017 at 23:24 #

I thought Grace Hartzel looked incredible, but maybe she’s not famous/naked enough for the media to notice

14. milena May 2, 2017 at 23:14 #

will you be featuring the after party looks as well?

15. Vallath May 2, 2017 at 23:13 #

Ruth Negga deserved her own post, even on a busy night. Disappointed she’s lumped in with everybody. Certain celebs deserve separate posts due to their status. Lump Emma Roberts here, not Madonna, Ruth, Sarah Paulson etc.

Ruth was one of the best dressed.

Sarah was great, but should have been more in-theme.

Madonna needs to dump Jeremy Scott and Moschino. Tacky.

WHHHY is Hailee Steinfeld in Vera Wang? She and her stylists don’t get it.

Grimes’ arms scare me but she was in-theme.

16. SilentVisitor May 2, 2017 at 23:06 #

Margaret Qualley, Hailee Steinfeld, Ruth Negga and Mandy Moore are my favorites from this bunch. They look amazing……
    Isabelle looks great as well

17. Pheephee May 2, 2017 at 23:04 #

Margaret Quailey looks so amazing. I love love love this dress. The sculptural element is just perfection.

18. Leandra May 2, 2017 at 22:54 #

EXCUSE ME,,,, but you didn’t report on Rei Kawakubo herself ??? The main reason of the event. Shame and somehow disrespectful considering the Jenners were pictured.

• SilentVisitor May 2, 2017 at 23:28 #

There is always one person to complain!! FC and her team have been working hard to write post after post of the event. Are you paying anything to enjoy all of that? No but here you are using words like Shame and disrespectful.

What makes the Jenner’s family any different from any other stars featured here? There were plenty of people that others wouldn’t consider stars but who were featured. No wonder they got so famous, people can’t stop talking about them!!

Thanks for your work FC

• Leandra May 2, 2017 at 23:44 #

I am still entitled to have an opinion, regardless of yours.

• SilentVisitor May 3, 2017 at 00:03 #

Where did I or anyone for that matter say you weren’t????

• Leandra May 3, 2017 at 00:18 #

The rude tone of your interpolation did it for you. Bye.

• SilentVisitor May 3, 2017 at 01:11 #

oh the irony………..

• Nadia99 May 3, 2017 at 01:37 #

What do you expect from crazy people, SilentVisitor? You can’t argue with them.

• Crystalline May 3, 2017 at 02:25 #

If this lady cannot use polite words, and give respect to the writer of this blog.. well then… you are free to dismissed gurrllll

• CreoleLady May 3, 2017 at 09:24 #

“oh the irony….” LMAO. Silent Visitor, you just made my day.

19. Chris May 2, 2017 at 22:44 #

Margaret Qualley looks amazing.
    Isabelle Huppert is also rocking the most out of her ensemble, although I’m not a fan of the clothes themselves.
    Laura Dern was also at her personal best, loved the train.
    Sarah is wearing the most fashion forward of all the Prada’s, but sadly, it’s also the least flattering one. She can do much better.
    Hailee, Madonna and the last row are a mess. I’m also not here for the sheer looks.

Please also don’t forget about Andrea Riseborough (Tom Ford), Lily-Rose Depp (Chanel Couture) and Tracee Ellis Ross (Comme des Garcons) in your roundups if possible..

20. JHH May 2, 2017 at 22:35 #

Laura Dern looks great. I don’t see the theme but I give up on that. Actually I love Ruth Negga’s look here. I hated it in another picture that I saw that made her look like a human billboard or playing cards but it looks good here. Also Hayley and Mandy look good. The rest are mostly okay or bad (sadly so true for my style crush Sarah Paulson). And not to pick on Mary J Blige and Róisín Murphy but what the hell were they thinking?
    On a side note, thank you for not showing (so far) the clothes worn by the Hadid sisters and Kendall Jenner though I have a feeling a models’ roundup may be in offing.

21. Ale May 2, 2017 at 22:15 #

Margaret Qualley is my favorite from the bunch.
    She looks statuesque.