Menu

Janelle Monae In Elie Saab Couture – 2017 Oscars

As we expected, Janelle Monae made a grand entrance at the 2017 Oscars on Sunday (February 26) in Hollywood, California.

Channeling the metallic mood she set at the Pre-Oscar Awards dinner, she wore an Elie Saab Fall 2016 Couture masterwork accessorized with Forevermark Diamonds.

Brimming with the intricacy of sparkling embellishment, a period silhouette, and a flock of the most fashionable birds, the gown took flight with all the drama we’d anticipate from Janelle, but with an all-new spirit that stepped outside her graphic, black-and-white box.

She even skipped her signature red lip and styled her hair into a precious, Jennifer Behr headband-topped pixie for another layer of fresh intrigue.

This could have translated as a heavy, overly wrought look but she commanded it with such lightness of form.

It took my breath away.

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

Auli'i Cravalho In Rubin Singer - 2017 Oscars

Auli’i Cravalho In Rubin Singer – 2017 Oscars

Taraji P. Henson In Alberta Ferretti - 2017 Oscars

Taraji P. Henson In Alberta Ferretti – 2017 Oscars

28 Responses to Janelle Monae In Elie Saab Couture – 2017 Oscars

1. Lancel March 1, 2017 at 16:10 #

Horrific…. Elie Saab is an ARTIST but this one is a disaster…! After having seen his latest gowns, I was waiting impatiently for the Awards Season, especially the Oscars but I didn’t see anything special from the brand ..

2. milena February 27, 2017 at 22:07 #

say what you may, she can make a paper bag look like a million bucks

3. Caroline February 27, 2017 at 17:01 #

Too much and that’s all I’m going say to avoid using the word ridiculous.

• Jo February 28, 2017 at 04:00 #

+1 I don’t understand the hype around this look

4. from-chitown February 27, 2017 at 15:23 #

I loved it. Its a difficult dress to pull off for such a petite person, but the woman has attitude and spunk in spades. She’s pulling it off and it was one of the most interesting dresses on the red carpet last night.

5. Slash February 27, 2017 at 09:25 #

She looks as if she’s trying to smuggle in three people under those drapes. There’s too much going on down there, and too little on the top. Overall, I disliked this look so much and I wish she chose something different.

6. Ahot February 27, 2017 at 08:49 #

J´aime! Janelle Monae is looking great, she pulls it off, despite being a pint sized woman. Lovely. The hairband was not needed, lthough she still works this look like a pro

7. Alina February 27, 2017 at 04:56 #

She looked stunning on stage, but I’m not sure I like it in pictures. Her face is stunning though.

8. easyBlake February 27, 2017 at 03:59 #

It is unusual to see so much of Monae, but I only like the look from the waist up. Removing the sheer side drapes would’ve made it a home run.

9. Bowyangs February 27, 2017 at 03:23 #

Why does her dress have curtains? The hair is so disappointing after the amazing up dos she has been doing. Just a big swing and a miss.

10. dolan February 27, 2017 at 03:09 #

i think i would like it without the tulle. She is a petit women and the tulle makes her look stubby.

11. Juan February 27, 2017 at 02:15 #

I wasn´t convinced about this on the RC but I just saw it live on the Oscars and went crazy of how good it looks on the stage. Maybe it is too much, but if someone doesn´t wear this at the Oscars, when would we get to see this beautiful gown?

12. EmmaWoodhouse February 27, 2017 at 01:11 #

I would seriously applaud the craziness of this look + how well she’s pulling it off because she is, but, like…that top is 98% nonexistent.

13. Valentina February 27, 2017 at 01:07 #

I get that it’s Elie Saab, but I think it’s too similar to Halle Berry Oscar gown

14. Chris February 27, 2017 at 01:03 #

She’s rocking it so much. I really like it.

15. Nat39 February 27, 2017 at 01:01 #

I want to say it’s spectacular, but I can’t. While it’s captivating on the runway, Janelle is starting to look a bit comical – she is a bit too petite for it and that headband is an overkill, also there is a bit too much sheerness around the bust.

• Nathalia February 27, 2017 at 01:22 #

i agree with you.

• Nat39 February 27, 2017 at 01:25 #

..it’s simply too much, too costumey, looks like she’s playing dress-up. I’m hoping she’ll inject a bit more sophistication into her style.

• Caroline February 27, 2017 at 17:00 #

Agree.

• The original AB February 27, 2017 at 19:48 #

ITA

16. CreoleLady February 27, 2017 at 01:01 #

From the neck up, fab. From the neck down, overwrought with a tacky sheer top. This is a no for me.

• CreoleLady February 27, 2017 at 15:27 #

I did not watch the Oscars but since commenting on this picture, I have seen the dress in motion and on stage. I have had a change of perspective, mind and heart. Janelle Monae is brilliant. The hidden figures are hidden no more. Every person should be encouraged to engage in flights of fancy, imagination and intellect. Still a bit put off by the sheer top in the still shots but in motion and on stage, she looked like magic.

• Catherine Kallon February 27, 2017 at 15:54 #

Yes, seeing a gown in motion often changes everything

17. Christine February 27, 2017 at 00:56 #

BLOWN AWAY! My best dressed pick!!!!. Hands down, wow! Love this. So glad she saved the best for last.

18. cocktailqueen February 27, 2017 at 00:54 #

DIVINE!!!! I gasped IRL when I saw this – can’t remember the last time an Elie Saab gown got that reaction from me. Exquisite, iconic, BDOTY and it’s only February, etc.

19. Pheephee February 27, 2017 at 00:53 #

I dont remember seeing so much boobage from her before….It seems slightly weird and uncomfortable for some reason to see so much. lol idky
    Ya, I keep looking at this wanting to like it more for its uniqueness but I don’t feel its quite right for the Oscars.
    Its interesting….

• Pheephee February 27, 2017 at 01:34 #

The more I look at it, the more I find it too too much, and too bare. Its a no.

20. AnderBoBo February 27, 2017 at 00:51 #

I want to love this but between the boobs and the head piece I think there was just too much going on here.