Menu

Erykah Badu took over the black carpet for the 8th Annual Essence Black Women In Music Event on Thursday (February 9) in LA.

And I’m not talking metaphorically, I mean literally, with her Ashi Studio Fall 2016 Couture black velvet one shoulder gown.

Should a gown like this be saved for the Grammys or an event with a red carpet laid for greater impact?

Perhaps, but there is no doubt wherever it was worn, heads were going to be turned as this is a breath-taking masterpiece.

Credit: Ashi Studio & Getty

Katie Holmes In Marchesa - Go Red for Women Dress Collection 2017

Katie Holmes In Marchesa – Go Red for Women Dress Collection 2017

Monica Bellucci In Valentino - 'La Traviata' Valencia Premiere

Monica Bellucci In Valentino – ‘La Traviata’ Valencia Premiere

7 Responses to Erykah Badu In Ashi Studio Couture – 8th Annual Essence Black Women In Music Event

1. Martina February 12, 2017 at 20:22 #

This all just looks so costumey to me with that hat and glasses and the sheer top. If she took all of those off this would have been beautiful. This dress really deserved better like others commented..

2. Amanda February 10, 2017 at 21:54 #

I think that dress deserves to be a statement on it’s own – the hat makes makes it competition

3. Nat39 February 10, 2017 at 19:25 #

She made this spectacular dress look ridiculous, this is BAD.

4. CreoleLady February 10, 2017 at 18:19 #

Come through, Miss Badu. LMAO and j’adore. Because without a doubt she wears the dress and not the other way around.

5. Lei February 10, 2017 at 17:19 #

She was being honoured at this event so I get the ‘go big or go home’ dress but I agree that it gets lost in the black carpet.
    Erykah dances to the beat of her own drum so this is pretty great for her!

6. Charlotte February 10, 2017 at 14:33 #

Why the black top ?
    The hat is not working either.
    This dress deserves so much better !!

• anonymous as always February 10, 2017 at 15:40 #

+1000000000!!!!
      my first thought when I saw this, was “poor dress” šŸ™ for me, it was meant to be worn as a piece of art, not as a part of a “mix and match” outfit, that’s why it doesn’t work here…