Menu

Cate Blanchett In Esteban Cortazar – ‘Carol’ London Film Festival Screening

Cate Blanchett In Esteban Cortazar - 'Carol' London Film Festival Screening

Following her very disappointing showing at the photocall, Cate Blanchett joined Rooney Mara for the screening of ‘Carol’ during the BFI London Film Festival at the Odeon Leicester Square this evening (October 14).

Climbing back to form, the actress dazzled onlookers wearing a black and white cape dress from Esteban Cortazar’s Spring 2016 collection.

The stand-out piece possessed all the drama and intrigue we expect from Cate, but my feeling is some might not be so enamoured.

If that’s the case look at the images below which show that the gown is much more impressive in movement than stationary.

Has anyone else noticed that since promoting this movie Cate has adopted Rooney’s style of only wearing black, white or black and white?

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

Rooney Mara In Alexander McQueen - 'Carol' London Film Festival Screening

Rooney Mara In Alexander McQueen – ‘Carol’ London Film Festival Screening

Nina Dobrev's Versace Two-Tone Crepe Dress

Nina Dobrev’s Versace Two-Tone Crepe Dress

37 Responses to Cate Blanchett In Esteban Cortazar – ‘Carol’ London Film Festival Screening

1. Lcc November 27, 2015 at 00:37 #

Cate’s earrings are just beautiful. Who is the designer?

2. Della October 15, 2015 at 21:20 #

The hair is bringing down the look for me. It’s much too boring and flat to go with the unique gown! Love everything from the neck down.

3. Phoenix October 15, 2015 at 21:14 #

Looks ridiculous from the front but intriguing from the back. The hair should of been back, its making the look even heavier. And the shoes. Is she just wearing the same pair over and over?

4. from-chitown October 15, 2015 at 16:29 #

I am surprised that I like this – a lot. Kudos to her for stepping outside the red carpet fashion box, and delivering something different and interesting. Not all her outings for this movie have been hits, but this one I quite like. BDOTW contender.

5. Pedro October 15, 2015 at 15:39 #

Wow

Queen Cate is back! She looks fantastic, BDOTW

6. kane October 15, 2015 at 13:21 #

Went on my BDOTY longlist. Will see where it is at the end of the year.

7. Noemi October 15, 2015 at 11:26 #

The dress is beautiful in movement and seen from the back, but I prefer Rooney Mara in McQueen, that dress seems to be made for her.

8. Jenny October 15, 2015 at 07:20 #

Queen!
    The hairstyle is sleek and it complements the drama of the gown beautifully.

I don’t like the shoe choice but i do believe her stylist

9. Susie October 15, 2015 at 06:59 #

This dress would be stunning if the white piping was only on the edge of the cape. As it is, the white stripes on the sides of the dress are extremely awkward and make Cate look much wider at the hips than she actually is. A miss for me.

10. amanda October 15, 2015 at 03:42 #

AMAZING, BREATHTAKING! She blows Rooney away!!! the dress is navy…..

11. Nat39 October 15, 2015 at 01:25 #

I like the unexpectedly dramatic gown but not the styling – the hair and the pumps do not go here for me, giving the look a matronly feel.

12. JHH36 October 15, 2015 at 00:31 #

SMH and not in a good way. What happened to Cate Blanchett? I am all for taking risks but nothing about this dress looks good.

13. Caroline October 15, 2015 at 00:27 #

Omg no. No no no.

14. TeaAtTwo October 15, 2015 at 00:12 #

The dress looks great in motion. Once again, those office shoes are boring though.

15. Yeliz October 14, 2015 at 22:21 #

It’s a nice gown but the overall look is still meh.

16. pinksugar October 14, 2015 at 21:14 #

I noticed Cate adopting Rooney’s color palette as well and can’t say I’m too thrilled about it.

I wasn’t wild about this dress from the front but the second I saw the side and back views, I fell in love. Not just anyone could make this work, but Cate sells it and them some. BDOTW contender for me.

17. mm October 14, 2015 at 21:12 #

yes, FC, after you mentioned it, i looked back at their looks so far, they are coordinating their looks,like a real couple. They have a love affair in the movie.

18. Dee October 14, 2015 at 20:51 #

I love everything but the shoes. They are ok but are safe.

• Patricia October 14, 2015 at 21:22 #

+1 The shoes go so wrong with the dress…

19. carrie October 14, 2015 at 20:44 #

Much better! She looks beautiful!

PS – shoes are GZ. 🙂

20. CreoleLady October 14, 2015 at 20:42 #

I dislike the fabric and the little strips of white immensely. The hair is combed at least but is as uninspired as the shoes. Thoroughly unimpressed.

21. Ramsay October 14, 2015 at 20:31 #

Absolutely stunning
    I admire especially how bold she is to go for such a dress
    And her will to always go for something different and intriguing
    Hair and make up are flawless
    Earrings are superb

22. meme October 14, 2015 at 20:28 #

I don’t like it but it’s better than the naked dresses.

23. Charlotte October 14, 2015 at 20:24 #

I don’t really like the dress yet I find Cate specatcular in it !
    She looks gorgeous.
    And I love Cate and Rooney next to each other, each dress is perfect for each actress.

24. Marcel October 14, 2015 at 20:21 #

I am not so impressed. Which, incidentally, is not a sentence I imagined I would ever formulate in my mind about Queen Cate, let alone type it.
    I like the fabric with its rich texture but not the dress itself. I think the short cape kills it. It always gives me the vibe of old lady ‘s covered tables.

• Marcel October 14, 2015 at 20:25 #

or perhaps I dont like the fabric but do like the dress?… I don’t know .. Something is flawed there but I can not point out exactly what. The 2 together seem to be too much.

25. LZ October 14, 2015 at 20:20 #

This dress is navy!!

26. julyol1972 October 14, 2015 at 20:15 #

The first pic that shows the side of the shoe is stunning! It helped push me totally over the line of absolutely loving this look from head to toe. I was really unsure about the shoe till I saw the heel and the train of the dress, coupled with the ruffles of the cape, her beautiful head space – and I was sold.

27. Evita October 14, 2015 at 20:07 #

Thank you FC for posting the pictures of her working the dress because they really are something else!So surprise surprise I am floored by a Cate Blanchett look,but this time it so special because it’s sooo long overdue!Love this h2t,it is giving me Tilda Swinton in Haider Ackermann at Cannes vibes,but it has a cape which I consider very Cate and yes she’s done this before but oh my god the fit of this,the hair,the makeup,everything is perfect and she knows it and she’s feeling this and she is working it with all she’s got!And yes I have to say at first I questioned the white ruffles on the dress but they’ve grown on me and just enhance the drama factor of this and oh my god I need to breath! I hope this makes sense to anyone reading.BDOTW worthy,BDOTY worthy,who knows,only one thing matters,queen Cate is back to her breathtaking,jaw-dropping best

• Evita October 14, 2015 at 20:08 #

*breathe

28. Alina October 14, 2015 at 20:06 #

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I don’t like this.

If they’ll keep going like this, it’s gonna be a very long promo tour (and awards season).

• Lashae October 14, 2015 at 20:16 #

+1. I’m not feeling this at all.

• Christine October 14, 2015 at 20:31 #

Agreed. I’m not feeling this as much as I want to. I miss the old Cate. This promo has been so mediocre and low-par. Not impressed so far.

• P October 15, 2015 at 07:26 #

+3 this is so ugly, can’t help feeling people are rating this because of Cate.

29. Chris October 14, 2015 at 20:02 #

OMG. Such a showstopper. This is the kind of fashion-forward, interesting look I always hope to get from Cate. Just…amazing. And definitely BDOTW-worthy as well.

• Fiona-Brasil October 14, 2015 at 21:25 #