Menu

26.09.15

Michelle Obama In Vera Wang – 2015 White House State Dinner

WASHINGTON, DC - SEPTEMBER 25:  (L-R) Madame Peng Liyuan, U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama, Chinese President Xi Jinping and U.S. President Barack Obama pose for photographers on the North Portico ahead of a state dinner at the White House September 25, 2015 in Washington, DC. Obama and Xi announced an agreement on curbing climate change and an understanding on cyber security.  (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

The Obamas hosted a state dinner at the White House in Washington, DC on Friday (September 25) for Chinese President Xi Jinping and his wife Peng Liyuan.

Giving a nod to her guests, Michelle Obama made a stunning entrance onto the red carpet wearing a custom black mermaid gown featuring a rather sexy v neckline and tulle sleeve accents by Chinese-American designer Vera Wang.

Evening without my new found appreciation for all things black, this took my breath-away.

From the being perfectly tailored to contour the body, the enchanting design and the longer tousled waves, I love that Michelle is serving up old Hollywood glamour here.

Are you equally blown away?

Credit: Getty

go90 Sneak Peek

go90 Sneak Peek

Versace Fall 2015 Front Row

Versace Fall 2015 Front Row

30 Responses to Michelle Obama In Vera Wang – 2015 White House State Dinner

1. Pene September 28, 2015 at 18:51 #

Michelle is dressed for the oscars not a state house dinner

2. mia September 28, 2015 at 00:21 #

boring boring….snooozzzing. This look is old. Next…..

3. Eva September 27, 2015 at 23:11 #

This is pretty but not appropriate for the first lady title (That’s not a red carpet and she’s not a movie star). We need more class than that.

• Vera September 28, 2015 at 19:40 #

Hahahahaha, what a ridiculous comment from 1950! There is nothing classless in Michelle’s dress: she is completely and appropriately covered.

4. Ahot September 27, 2015 at 07:54 #

I love the rich silk Peng Liyuan wore & how her hubby matches her. Very nice touch. đŸ˜‰
    As for Michelle Obama, this is the best she has ever looked. She owns it & just elevated the signature Wang look to the next level & with that hair & her presence, it´s almost too vava voom! Like a filmstar. LOVE it from head to toe.

5. Ahot September 27, 2015 at 07:53 #

I love the rich silk Peng Lihuan wore & how her hubby matches her. Very nice touch. đŸ˜‰

6. pinksugar September 27, 2015 at 05:28 #

Beautiful gown but so not feeling the hair.

7. Rebecca Z September 26, 2015 at 16:54 #

Mrs. Obama looks just gorgeous. There is always criticism on these occasions, but choosing an American designer with a Chinese background was genius, and Vera Wang created a gown that flattered Michelle’s figure and style beautifully. Brava to both!

8. Deirdre Garmon September 26, 2015 at 16:37 #

I really liked the First Lady Of China’s dress, it is very pretty. However, our First Lady just looked absolutely stunning last night.That gorgeous mermaid-style dress, side-swooped hair, make- up, the glowing skin, very beautiful. She shows us vegetables and exercise does a body good, and let’s not forget she is also 51 years old. I love this look because she showed that women can be sexy and age appropriate at the same time.

9. Ramsay September 26, 2015 at 10:51 #

I don’t the hair to be honest
    And I don’t really like the fishtail for Mrs Obama – I find that overly glamourous for the first lady

• chyc September 28, 2015 at 02:43 #

I don’t like Mrs Obama’s hair either. The dress is just okay.

10. Yeliz September 26, 2015 at 09:17 #

She looks stunning. Peng Liyuan looks beautiful too.

• Fiona-Brasil September 26, 2015 at 11:11 #

+ 1

• MissAmynae September 26, 2015 at 18:52 #

Agreed, both women are visions, each in their own right.

Mrs. O looks so much younger and more relaxed in this look than she has in most of her State Visit gowns. Her confidence is radiating from every pore, as it should.

Peng Liyuan is stunning as usual.

Brava to both ladies.

11. Charlotte September 26, 2015 at 08:52 #

I might be in the minority but I don’t find the dress really flattering.
    I like the chinese first lady dress, she looks reat !

12. kevinappears September 26, 2015 at 07:59 #

It’s just a plain black mermaid gown.. Peng Liyuan’s look is wayyyyy better!!

13. Alina September 26, 2015 at 07:07 #

Gorgeous!

14. Dee September 26, 2015 at 04:02 #

The First Lady looks gorgeous. My eyes went straight to her looking at this picture.

15. Phoenix September 26, 2015 at 03:52 #

I usually am highly disappointed by Jessica Chastains fashion sense but her black gown moment this week pretty much rules. This is highly mediocre by comparison.

16. Lane September 26, 2015 at 03:16 #

Mrs Obama was perfection! She had to straddle that fine line of looking great but not entirely stealing the spotlight from her guest who if you’ve been following the story, hoped to use this visit with America’s First Lady, to solidify her place as the “Michelle Obama of China”. (WWD carried a few of those articles.)

This was a beautifully tailored and refined look. The color which looks more dark navy than black to me, was a perfect neutral – for the perfect understated, classic glamor.

I absolutely loved it!

17. dolan September 26, 2015 at 03:02 #

Michelle’s nails are so beautiful against the dress, too bad that Peng’s dress’s color and embellishments has stole the spotlight. But who cares, it’s such a historical moment with the two most powerful couples in the world standing together.

18. Mm September 26, 2015 at 02:31 #

michellle just gets more beautiful. I love the glamour

19. kane September 26, 2015 at 02:30 #

It’s black… in the way that it bothers me a little bit. I’m missing a spark. That said, she looks fantastic.

• kane September 27, 2015 at 13:31 #

Have only now noticed the skirt. That’s a no for me sadly.

20. jhh36 September 26, 2015 at 02:21 #

I love the First Lady’s hair and the color of Peng Liyuan’s dress. I am not crazy about the neckline of the First Lady’s dress.

21. olala September 26, 2015 at 02:13 #

This is outright glamorous! Who would say she is not a major movie star?

22. CreoleLady September 26, 2015 at 02:06 #

Wow!!!!

23. Christine September 26, 2015 at 01:43 #

Lovely look.

24. Catch September 26, 2015 at 01:36 #

She looks good but Peng Liyuan kinda stole the spotlight

• moonbeam September 26, 2015 at 03:21 #

Who? Mrs. Obama has the spotlight.