Menu

BDOTW 20 july

It would appear that the ESPYs were your best dressed event last week, as you selected supreme elegance of Ciara in Elie Saab and the suave sophistication of Jake Gyllenhaal in Tom Ford.

I was more enamoured by Ashley Madekwe in Self-Portrait and Matt Bomer In Ermenegildo Zegna Couture who both attended Comic-Con.

There were plenty of laidback looks at Comic-Con, but Ashley’s was oozing with chic finesse making her stand head-and-shoulders above the rest.

The suit and sneakers pairing isn’t always my favourite combination, but going sans tie helped Matt pull of this look.

Credit: Getty

Jenna Dewan-Tatum's  Self-Portrait Macramé Lace Midi Dress

Jenna Dewan-Tatum’s Self-Portrait Macramé Lace Midi Dress

Rita Ora In Marni - X Factor London Auditions

Rita Ora In Marni – X Factor London Auditions

17 Responses to Best Dressed Of The Week – Ciara In Elie Saab, Ashley Madekwe In Self-Portrait, Jake Gyllenhaal In Tom Ford & Matt Bomer In Ermenegildo Zegna Couture

1. bfly July 21, 2015 at 05:21 #

I voted for Caitlyn, as did many of this sites readers. Don’t know what happened at the last minute for it to change, but ooh well….

2. Laraine July 21, 2015 at 03:51 #

For me it was a toss-up between Ashley and Alicia. Love a girl who can rock a trouser with volume!

3. Kylie B July 20, 2015 at 20:10 #

I also voted for Ashley. I don’t see the styling as “basic” at all. It’s chic. I wouldn’t want her messing that look up with a bright colored bag or shoe, it would look messy with the print. Her hair & makeup was on point. She’s always classy IMO.

4. justme July 20, 2015 at 11:54 #

I voted for Ashley as well because she’s the only one whose look made an impact on me. I’m glad I’m not the only one lol.

I didn’t vote for any guy this week though.

5. Bec July 20, 2015 at 10:18 #

Ashley was my BDOTW also… Yes the styling is simple, but when everything is so on point you don’t need to complicate it too much.

• Nat39 July 20, 2015 at 10:59 #

Ashley does look nice, no question about it, her simple styling does the job and it’s all working, but this is her basic go-to styling, it may as well have been any other of her outfits with it. Now, in comparison, Gabrielle Union, for example, that was in fact a well thought-out styling specifically chosen to complement that particular look – she was superior.

• james July 20, 2015 at 11:06 #

I totally agree with you. I feel like Ashely always dresses up nicely but lacks a bit of originality and more importantgly personnality. I chose Gabrielle too 🙂

• Nat39 July 20, 2015 at 12:14 #

and to be honest, I don’t really wanna look at the girl’s partial ribs.

• Laraine July 21, 2015 at 03:53 #

Superior in your opinion – fashion is subjective! Some people are minimalists, for me Ashley’s simple styling is always on point.

6. Alina July 20, 2015 at 09:23 #

Abigail was my winner for her perfect styling, but Ashley was a close second as she rocked that look from h2t.

7. Nat39 July 20, 2015 at 09:19 #

Ashley’s look has been worn before and the styling is kinda super basic, Ciara’s look is nothing special either – predictable cut, sombre colour, and over-the-top slit. Neither strikes me as a strong winner, utterly forgettable.
    Of the two men – def. Jake. From the well-cut suit to his impeccable grooming – extra handsome and polished. Matt did manage to pull off those sneakers to some extent but they still look quite silly and the sleeves of his jacket are clearly a bit too long – slightly shorter sleeves and a dose of shirt cuff would’ve improved the look.
    In short – apart from Jake, kinda weak.

• Nat39 July 20, 2015 at 09:28 #

and I’d also like to point out the importance of stance for the men – Jake’s charisma and commanding stance seal the deal, while Matt’s insecure slouchy stance doesn’t sell the look.

• Nat39 July 20, 2015 at 10:13 #

…and I’m getting a strong ‘groomsman in sneakers’ vibe from Matt, not much Comic-con.

8. Reesa July 20, 2015 at 09:18 #

FC I am so disappointed that you didn’t address the huge spike in the poll for Ciara is the last couple hours allowing her to beat Jenner. This poll seems to have been rigged as I have been following it and checking every couple of hours and this win appeared for Ciara out of nowhere. Either something was posted on a Ciara fansite or somehow the poll was tampered with. The fact that you didn’t even address this or hold off on posting BDOTW is concerning.

• Catherine Kallon July 20, 2015 at 13:47 #

Dear Ressa,

This is getting beyond the joke if I am now being accusing me of tampering with the poll.

Please be assured that there is no way I can influence the vote. I didn’t design the poll, I can’t change the poll, or add more votes to ensure one person wins. And if I could, I wouldn’t. That would be a pointless waste of time on my part.

To address your accusation that I was holding off posting. I published this at 8.58am this morning which is roughly the same time I post the BDOTW result every Monday morning.

For me to have seen the spike in the poll during the last few hours, I would’ve had to be up before 8.58am, and I can vouch for the fact that I asleep until around 8.20am this morning.

I wasn’t checking the poll every hour as you were. I published the poll on Friday then check and reported the results on Monday. If there was a spike, I will have to take your word for it since you are bringing it to my attention, but I don’t know what you wish me to do about it. Usually fans of a certain celebrity retweet my tweet on the BDOTW post and that is how I am alerted to ‘rigging’, but that didn’t occur this weekend. I am happy to show you my timeline to prove this.

Do you want me to exclude all the Ciara votes so Caitlyn Jenner can be the winner of this poll? Please let me know.

Regards Catherine

• blossom July 21, 2015 at 14:34 #

Hi Catherine, i was on holiday so i missed the whole Jenner drama last week.

This is just a note to say that the moaners and negative people are always the most vocal. Their numbers are definitely not a representative sample.

Your blog is not going to suffer coz of people threatening to stop reading coz of 1 post/non-post.
        Seriously our opinions and judgments of you don’t matter, it’s your blog.

Since I follow this blog, not only have my fashion perspectives broadened, but also the way that I think about beauty in general. When you feature people of all ages and sizes, and also people like Serena, Tilda and the Asian lady (singer / DJ ) whose name I can’t recall right now, it challenges me to forget about the barbie doll / model message of beauty that western society and especially advertising shoves down our throat.

Most importantly your blog teaches me to embrace my own beauty, feel beautiful just as I am, and develop my own style and wear it proudly.

You are a truly phenomenal and inspirational woman. Forget the negative people, play Maya Angelou’s phenomenal woman and Richie’s 3 times a lady over and over ( that’s what I do to block out negativity from people around me ).

• Laraine July 21, 2015 at 03:49 #

Reesa, if in fact a fansite did tweet or post about it, that would still be a fair win, would it not? (Though it might not be the choice of regular RCFA readers.) I’m not sure what you want Catherine to do here. She can’t stop someone from rallying a fanbase…