Menu

17.06.15

Michelle Obama In Mary Katrantzou & Christopher Kane - 'Let Girls Learn Initiative' & Downing Street Visit

Michelle Obama made two stops on Tuesday (June 16) in London, England, first attending a meeting for the ‘Let Girls Learn Initiative’ at the Mulberry School for Girls before heading to 10 Downing Street for a visit.

‘Let Girls Learn Initiative’: The First Lady brought a bold splash to the meeting in her custom Mary Katrantzou Pre-Fall 2015 printed frock. Plain black pumps ensured all focus was on the dress, with a bouquet of flowers coincidentally bringing a lovely final touch to her look.

Downing Street Visit: Changing into a Christopher Kane custom-embroidered floral sticker dress, inspired by the Pre-Fall 2015 Collection, she maintained her colourful outlook that was unfortunately not similarly reflected in her black Jimmy Choo ‘Mei’ pumps.

Of the two looks, I preferred her first, as the adorable Christopher Kane frock echoed her London arrival look in that it landed a bit too far on the twee side for me.

Credit: Getty

Megan Fox' Thierry Lasry 'Nudity' Sunglasses

Megan Fox’ Thierry Lasry ‘Nudity’ Sunglasses

Miranda Kerr's Stella McCartney Crocheted Floral-Lace And Canvas Slip-On Sneakers

Miranda Kerr’s Stella McCartney Crocheted Floral-Lace And Canvas Slip-On Sneakers

14 Responses to Michelle Obama In Mary Katrantzou & Christopher Kane – ‘Let Girls Learn Initiative’ & Downing Street Visit

1. J June 22, 2015 at 05:33 #

I loathe her shoes.

2. Simon Casimir June 20, 2015 at 11:54 #

I thought the black Kane dress with predominantly pink flowers a very powerful statement of Mrs Obama’s mature sensuality – she has worn pink and black before on important occasions, when meeting Carla Sarkozy for example, always to powerful effect – she separates the women from the girls.

3. Claire June 19, 2015 at 01:53 #

I’m a fan of the first look, but the fit on the second doesn’t seem very flattering, and the design is confusing to be honest.

4. Carrie June 18, 2015 at 19:15 #

Love the Mary K look on her! Elegant and appropriate.

5. pinksugar June 18, 2015 at 00:48 #

I still don’t get the ‘twee’ stuff every single time a dress is feminine and/or short. I see nothing ‘twee’ yet again. I love both of these looks. Age appropriate and colorful. She can do no wrong for me at the moment.

6. Nat39 June 18, 2015 at 00:23 #

Cute and demure, she seems to be trying to dress approachable and in tune with her educational campaign for adolescent girls but I also find it a bit too cutesy for her, I wouldn’t mind if she dialed up the grownup sophistication instead.

7. CreoleLady June 18, 2015 at 00:16 #

I think the first look is utterly charming. Her lush locks and the beautiful flowers are just gorgeous.

8. Christine June 17, 2015 at 23:11 #

Would’ve like the second dress if it was designed better.

First look is eh

9. dee June 17, 2015 at 23:06 #

I like the first look.

• Yeliz June 18, 2015 at 05:48 #

10. kane June 17, 2015 at 23:03 #

The first one works, although I am not crazy about the colours. I don’t quite get the design of the second one. What’s with that cummerbund-y bit in the middle, why aren’t there any flowers? Is this again one of Sasha’s dresses she had adapted for herself like the one at the airport? Not convinced sadly.

• bfly June 18, 2015 at 00:22 #

I think that cummerbund-y thing is a crease under her tummy from sitting, I had to look very closely because I wondered the same. Regardless, I like both looks better than her airport look, but liked the two girls’ looks from this outing the best. I think either one of them would have looked great on Michelle, actually.

But the one who really shined, IMO, was Samantha Cameron in Peter Pilotto.

• kane June 18, 2015 at 08:43 #

Yes, I agree. It’s a belt on top and a crease at the bottom. But my point is that I still don’t like the very high waist and the bundle of flowers squashed up her top and all this black when you look at her skirt from the front.

• Leto June 18, 2015 at 11:37 #

She always wears the belt far too high, which is giving her an awkward looking body. I realize that it’s partly because of her feminine shape, but her designers should do something to make her overall shape look better.