Menu

27.05.15 Premiere

Amal Clooney In Maison Margiela – ‘Tomorrowland’ Tokyo Premiere

Amal Clooney In Maison Margiela - 'Tomorrowland' Tokyo Premiere

Amal Clooney attended the Tokyo premiere of ‘Tomorrowland’ at Roppongi Hills on Monday (May 25) in Tokyo, Japan with husband George.

The lawyer wore a deceptively simple custom Maison Margiela dress by John Galliano.

The bias-cut frock was styled with a Bulgari ‘Serpeni Hypnotic’ clutch and metallic Manolo Blahnik BB pumps.

My reaction to this was, finally.

Finally, she wore a look befitting of her A-list status.

This is the kind of gown Nicole Kidman would wear, and this is the level of sophistication she should always be reaching for as I was tiring of those twee dresses.

Credit: Getty

Best Dressed Of The Week - Aishwarya Rai & Erin O'Connor In Ralph & Russo Couture

Best Dressed Of The Week – Aishwarya Rai & Erin O’Connor In Ralph & Russo Couture

Carla Gugino In Rochas - 'San Andreas' LA Premiere

Carla Gugino In Rochas – ‘San Andreas’ LA Premiere

57 Responses to Amal Clooney In Maison Margiela – ‘Tomorrowland’ Tokyo Premiere

1. brat May 30, 2015 at 18:01 #

Amal has worn expensive, designer clothes from day one, that doesn’t mean she’s looked A-list. She’s been hit or miss

2. brat May 30, 2015 at 18:00 #

Hair is awful which is a shame because she has beautiful, lustrous hair. Pretty dress but she’s frighteningly skinny. The woman has an eating disorder and no one will tell me otherwise. Catherine is willowy and slim, this woman is a bag of bones. Ugh…she needs a cheeseburger, I wonder how much filler she relies on to keep her cheeks full

3. Alina May 29, 2015 at 14:08 #

I really, really dislike this.

4. Maya May 28, 2015 at 18:46 #

I don’t like this at all in any way. A for effort but no!

5. Courtney Klein May 28, 2015 at 18:09 #

She looks like she has not slept in weeks. Not great pictures of either of them. The dress itself is very pretty.

6. henc May 28, 2015 at 15:24 #

Something about the way this gown closes is giving her left bust a really weird look.

7. Peony May 28, 2015 at 05:48 #

I actually think this is pretty horrendous. What’s going on with her makeup, and the square teased-crown hairdo?!

The dress would be exceptional on someone like Nicole Kidman. Amal makes it look cheap, I’m afraid.

• chyc May 28, 2015 at 14:03 #

+1. Not liking the colour or the hair.

8. Prudence May 28, 2015 at 04:48 #

omggg this is soo quintessential galliano, I am living for this!!
    However,I would have loved to see this on a supermodel like Alek or Iman because that color would have been perfection and they would have held themselves more confidently. I need Amal to stand a little taller and breath some power into that dress. I am also appalled by the hair choice, how could she think that is okay??

9. Silvia May 28, 2015 at 01:44 #

I think she looks very beatiful. In other pictures the color and hair seem to really suit her.

10. Aocc May 27, 2015 at 21:42 #

Love it so much! A breathe of fresh air and now a muse of Galliano

11. pinksugar May 27, 2015 at 20:16 #

Amal has looked nothing but A-List from day one IMO. I can’t imagine thinking otherwise. I actually think this is one of her weaker looks. It’s nice but she’s so thin you can see her bones protruding through the fabric and her brows are bit too strong. Pretty and glam as usual though.

• Sleepless in Chicago May 28, 2015 at 03:34 #

I feel that this look does not reflect her personality. She is a strong and independent woman. This yellow mess might please Clooney but it goes completely against what I would envision as her strong look. The yellow flower makes a final sad note.

12. Jacqueline May 27, 2015 at 19:51 #

I really dislike this look. The fabric is unforgiving – even more so with harsh flashbulbs -and gives her unattractive and pointy edges. This is not a good look for her and would take her “twee” looks over this any day.

• dee May 27, 2015 at 19:55 #

13. Carolina May 27, 2015 at 19:22 #

I completely disagree. When I saw this I thought “…why?”. The hair and make up are disastrous. The dress feels tacky and cheap and that Christmas ornament hanging is just ugly. I’ll pretend this never happened

14. sanette May 27, 2015 at 19:03 #

I think that makeup and hair pretty much ruins the entire look. And the fabric only accentuates how thin she in. If she went for a darker color it would flatter her much more.

• Sleepless in Chicago May 28, 2015 at 03:31 #

This look is a complete miss. She is not having fun wearing it. As an independent woman, she should be picking the outfits she likes to wear instead of Clooney picking up stuff for her so he can satisfy his vanity. She look the best when she is trying the least. I love her casual looks when she looks effortlessly confident and engaged. Her lost facial expression here tells an eloquent story without words.

15. pratyush May 27, 2015 at 18:45 #

I don’t understand why she should be featured in a way having the entire post dedicated to her.

• Colleen May 28, 2015 at 05:09 #

Why should Kim Kardashian? At least this woman has worked honestly, instead of launching her career through a sex-tape!!!

• Ally May 28, 2015 at 12:54 #

And we have a lot of (mostly awesome) posts of people like Camila Alves, who’s usually a plus one. So why not Amal, who’s an incredible woman on her own???

• Desiree May 28, 2015 at 15:02 #

I agree with Colleen and Ally, why not pratyush?

16. Rebecca Z May 27, 2015 at 15:46 #

Wow–lots of harsh comments here. It’s a pretty dress. I agree the fabric is unforgiving and shows how very thin she is. Not a total fan of her hair-style. Lets remember that this is really not her milieu–she got thrust into this spotlight just because of who she married. Poor thing.

• Ally May 28, 2015 at 12:51 #

I don’t think we’re being harsh just because she’s not used to the spotlight. She’s an awesome and fierce woman, and a very intelligent one. She totally CAN understand fashion and use it on her favour, as she’s done a lot of times before. Her look on MetGala was beautiful, for one.
      But even though, we can’t say this is a great look, because it’s not. I’d prefer her always used glam waved hairdo to this square thing we see here. What in the hell happened? And the shape of the dress is beautiful, but it’s only that. Awful fabric and awful fitting.
      Amal already proved she can do SO MUCH better. Not liking one of her looks isn’t trying to depreciate her, is just saying that just this time, things weren’t going the way they should.

• Charlotte May 29, 2015 at 11:46 #

She doesn’t have to be in the spotlight if she doesn’t want to.
      Other actors have married woman and man who are not famous and we don’t see them on the red carpet.

17. Phoenix May 27, 2015 at 14:46 #

Its the color for me. Its totally wrong against her skin. Makes her look sallow n sickly.

18. Alice May 27, 2015 at 11:48 #

This was such a mess. I absolutely disagree.
    And her hair…. What have they done to it????

19. Christine May 27, 2015 at 11:29 #

This fabric is never forgiving – even on rail thin frames. Therefore, this is unflattering and the hair is awful!

20. J May 27, 2015 at 11:24 #

Yellow silk? Just no. And her hair!

21. Guest May 27, 2015 at 11:09 #

The fabric, hair and the flower/leaf detail do not help this weird look. However, still not that bad. What ‘worries’ me is what the hell is Clooney wearing. These trousers look ridiculous beyond comprehension.

22. Fiona-Brasil May 27, 2015 at 10:56 #

Perfection from h2t!

23. kinella May 27, 2015 at 10:44 #

while the dress has a nice (yet very dated) style, i have to say that yellow is not her colour at all, like, wow…it makes her skin look green and she looks sick! not to mention the hair and make up, all wrong

24. amy May 27, 2015 at 10:43 #

nice enough dress but she doesn’t know what to do with her hair. it needs some work

• mm May 28, 2015 at 19:24 #

i agree, the hair not elegant here

25. TeaAtTwo May 27, 2015 at 10:23 #

I would love to see her hair in an elegant updo but she looks great in the more sophisticated gown.

26. Dil May 27, 2015 at 08:47 #

I have the absolute opposite feelings about this..

The make up is making her eyes look sleep deprived..the hair looks neglected..the styling is just depressing…the gown is ill fitting and the protruding hip bone makes the look cheap..and don’t even get me started on the flower..

• Lashae May 27, 2015 at 10:14 #

• gabis May 27, 2015 at 12:32 #

Totally agree. Not to mention that George looks just as hideous as well. They both look tired and jet-lagged as if they went straight from the airport to the event.

• Cindy May 27, 2015 at 12:32 #

+2 Awful.

• Yeliz May 27, 2015 at 19:20 #

• kane May 27, 2015 at 20:21 #

This!

• Carrie May 28, 2015 at 17:00 #

I have to agree…

27. Ally May 27, 2015 at 08:23 #

Sorry, but I’ll have to disagree on this.
    While the colour and the shape of the dress are beautiful on her, the fabric looks cheap. Maybe a more structured one…
    Her hairdo is hideous, no way around it. Nice makeup.

• elena May 27, 2015 at 08:33 #

The fabric looks so cheap.. and the hair is just a mess!! Moreover I don’t like the color of this dress

• Amanda May 27, 2015 at 09:15 #

Elena I’m with you. The hair is terrible and this ‘butter’ colour doesn’t suit her. I think look would be improved if the gown was in another shade… maybe a deep jewel tone and in matte fabric.

• Charlotte May 27, 2015 at 08:35 #

I totally agree.
      This is not a good look !

• liz May 27, 2015 at 09:13 #

You can see the outline of her bra, her knickers, her hipbone… what’s wrong with this? And the hair…

• justme May 27, 2015 at 11:53 #

• from-chitown May 27, 2015 at 14:18 #

+4. I am not feeling the love for this look. The fabric is unforgiving and the color is not the best for her. And she is definitely having inner wear issues iwth this dress. Hair is bad and so is the make up. Nothing works for me.

• Jude May 28, 2015 at 12:27 #

Agree. Nothing works for me.

• Sleepless in Chicago May 28, 2015 at 03:26 #

This fabric is impossible to pull off and she does not succeed. The flower and the satiny fabric finish cheapen the look. The hair, make up, protruding bones, and her uninterested bored expression do not help. “Black on black” Clooney does not elevate the look, either. This is a complete miss for me.

• Noemi May 30, 2015 at 00:26 #

I agree. While at first sight I thought “wow, she looks great”, when I look better I found that her breasts seem to be lopsided because of the bra, her thong line is very visible, a nude seemless panties would have been better, the flower is very cheap, hair and make-up are unflattering.
        He looks sloppy… the fit of the suit is terrible, the length of the pants nonsense, he buttoned up both the buttons of the jacket (it’s visible in another photo).

28. Valissa May 27, 2015 at 08:14 #

I think this is gorgeous and better than most of the looks we saw at Cannes. It’s so stunning! The colour is amazing, the fit is perfect and I love the flower detail at the top. I do wish her hair was pulled up but its not enough to ruin the overall look. Well done Amal!

29. Sanya May 27, 2015 at 07:30 #

I also thought- Finally. She looks young and modern in this dress. Love the natural makeup, and the fact that she has finally done something different with her hair. The gowns fits her perfectly, and she doesn’t look so slim. Probably BDOTW contender.

30. Desiree May 27, 2015 at 07:29 #

Pretty dress, pretty lady. Personally I would have preferred her a little thicker coz I’m afraid she is too skinny. Other than that, pretty nice!

31. Evita May 27, 2015 at 07:29 #

I love how statuesque she looks in this dress! The only thing I would change is the hair. We are getting there slowly…

32. Colleen May 27, 2015 at 07:27 #

The 2nd photo is not really a great one of her, but I think she is a natural beauty and has nicely pulled off this gown.