Menu

06.05.15

Models @ The 2015 Met Gala

"China: Through The Looking Glass" Costume Institute Benefit Gala - Arrivals

The models also had their moment at the ‘China: Through the Looking Glass’ 2015 Met Gala, hosted at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City on Monday (May 4), some strutting to the beat of the theme better than others.

Karen Elson: One of the most extravagantly attired models, Karen truly embraced the ‘costume’ in the Costume Institute Benefit Gala in her Dolce & Gabbana ballgown spectacle featuring an ornately embellished and gilded bodice with matching cuffs, and an explosion of red tulle. Her elaborate gold headpiece also gave Sarah Jessica Parker’s own topper a bit of crown competition. This was the Chinese princess moment of the night.

Models Met 2

Rosie Huntington-Whiteley: Striking a pose in an Atelier Versace shimmery gown that traced her every curve, Rosie turned up the sex appeal with this slinky, structured silhouette—her version of going nude for the evening, which translated more in more sophisticated fashion than some other, ahem, naked entrances on the red carpet. A deep oxblood lip and slick bun were a high-impact finish.

Karolina Kurkova
: This leggy lovely cut things short in a gold-embroidered crimson frock that I would have never guessed to be a Tommy Hilfiger design. Providing the ultimate in East meets West allure, the dress emphasized traditional Chinese style references, which were augmented by some of the best accessories of the night including twisting gold Giuseppi Zanotti sandals, fan-shaped earrings, and a gold cuff to pin her samurai hair.

Models Met 3

Kendall Jenner: While sexy, side cleavage was the focal point of this Calvin Klein Collection gown, I’m guessing the jade-green colour and tassel lace-up sides were meant to reflect some measure of the theme.

Joan Smalls: Also working another version of the sheer gown trend that we’ve seen in various forms, her Roberto Cavalli gown was artfully interlaced with deep royal purple floral embroidery. The colour was stunning. Gianvito Rossi shoes and a choker necklace completed the look.

Models Met 4

Cara Delevingne: We’d expect nothing less from the edgy, wild-child model than this Stella McCartney black, cutout bodysuit and faux tattoos that decorated her upper body with Chinese-inspired artistry. Once a rebel, always a red-carpet rebel.

Jourdan Dunn: Her burgundy, laser-cut Burberry gown was sharply contrasted with black detailing and black accessories, but her jade-green earrings provided a vibrant pop of colour in homage to the theme.

Models Met 5

Gigi Hadid: Simply stunning in red, Gigi wore a Diane Von Furstenberg side-slit gown. Similar to many of the evening’s red gowns, this one fell into the nice and safe category.

Dree Hemingway: Her punkish-goth black Coach outfit didn’t exactly ooze with Chinese essence, so instead she used her leather motorcycle vest to directly tell everyone that she’s a “China Girl.” Enough said.

Models Met 6

Karlie Kloss: What I love most about this statuesque stunner’s entrance is the glorious whisper of jade-green earrings against the shimmering, embellished Atelier Versace halter gown.

Lily Aldridge: The delicate nature of her powder-blue Carolina Herrera ruffle gown was contrasted with jade green jewels and a fish clutch, along with an oxblood lip that just seemed several shades too dark for this daintier dress.

Models Met 7

Naomi Campbell: I wasn’t as enamoured by the supermodel’s Burberry gown as the velvety green patchwork dress and feathered skirt felt a bit dated. A Cleopatra ’do and winged eye finished the look.

Georgia May Jagger: The British model wore a lilac Gucci robe-style, belted gown that was embroidered in a dazzling, multicoloured array of Chinese-inspired flowers and birds. With such intricate artistry and embellishment, the hairpiece and strappy pom shoes weren’t exactly necessary and took this look to overcooked status.

Models Met 8

Poppy Delevingne: There was an enchanted quality about the voluminous whimsy of this Marchesa ruby-red gown with a burst of big poppy-like flowers at the bodice.

Hailey Baldwin: Debuting a new dark brunette ’do, Hailey exchanged a long gown for a custom Topshop minidress in a China blue pattern with dimensional embroidery. The silver sandals cheapened the look.

Models Met 9

Hannah Davis: Another pretty red gown, another off-theme statement… But Hannah was still gracefully sultry in this languid, pleated J Mendel dress, to which she did attempt to add the Chinese influence of tassel-like earrings, an accessory trick that was used by many attendees throughout the night. Her other accessory was, of course, her beau Derek Jeter.

Miranda Kerr: Miranda won the prize for the mini-est of minidresses among the models with her shiny Louis Vuitton number worn with sleek centre-parted locks.

Models Met 10

Candice Swanepoel: The seductive glamour of this second-skin nude lace gown by Michael Kors won me over, as did her chic, minimalist styling save for the one big statement cuff.

Liu Wen: The dark metallic lace Michael Kors gown with a keyhole cutout simply didn’t have the impact I would have hoped.

Models Met 11

Caroline Trentini: I found more goth edge than Chinese glamour in this Atelier Versace backless halter gown rendered in a graphic spiderweb fabrication.

Amber Valletta: Sheer lace? Check. Ornate embroidery? Check. High neckline? Check. The gown had all the expected details, but I failed to see the rationale behind her lightened eyebrows and crop of curls.

Models Met 12
Jessica Hart: The craftsmanship of Jessica’s red velvet Valentino gown in a highly decorative motif was breathtaking, with a quirky looped updo and kitty-cat clutch topping off the look in less serious form.

Irina Shayk: I think this lavender Atelier Versace satin, slit-to-there gown with a carnival mood and a funfetti of floral embroidery speaks for itself—and it’s not exactly saying positive things.

Models Met 13
Chrissy Teigen: Going the route of classic sophistication, the model wore a glistening black St. John gown with John Legend at her side in a handsome Gucci tux with white vest and bow tie. Their looks were stronger together, making them a power couple of the night.

Adriana Lima: I failed to recognize the Brazilian bombshell in this moody Marc Jacobs deep scarlet gown. Her vampy makeup and Cleopatra hair aside, the shapeless dress did nothing to highlight her gorgeous figure.

Selena Gomez' J Brand Tailored High-Rise Flared Denim Trousers

Selena Gomez’ J Brand Tailored High-Rise Flared Denim Trousers

Reese Witherspoon's Christian Louboutin 'Tiny' Lace T-Strap Sandals

Reese Witherspoon’s Christian Louboutin ‘Tiny’ Lace T-Strap Sandals

42 Responses to Models @ The 2015 Met Gala

1. FelipeA May 8, 2015 at 02:32 #

I think the fabric Caroline’s dress is meant to represent fans

2. rebecca o May 7, 2015 at 08:11 #

Karolina Kurkova looks amazing. She always brings it.

3. Shae May 7, 2015 at 06:35 #

Here’s focusing on room for improvement:

1. Jessica Hart’s dress must have been five times more stunning in person. I don’t get the cat bag, but looove the hairdo.

2. I wish that Lily Aldridge had had a lighter lip and lighter-colored hair and makeup- then she would be in my personal top five. Her face bores a resemblance to the fish in her hands… ahhh was that on purpose?

3. Kendall Jenner looks like a jade princess. She could have been a jade goddess with more dramatic styling. Imagine her with an ornate gold headpiece!

4. Karen Elson could be a princess, but not a Chinese princess. The headpiece and colors are all right, but the dress style and fabric just aren’t. Nevertheless she looks radiant, on-theme, and beautiful.

5. I am utterly baffled by Miranda Kerr.

4. Phoenix May 7, 2015 at 00:39 #

Karolina Kurkova! Love that she always stays on theme…. Adore those shoes!! They are so awesome. She looks great, and so completely on point. The problem is, I was expecting/assuming something so much more from her…… More grand, more dramatic, More…..

5. Fanny May 6, 2015 at 23:02 #

Rosie looks truly spectacular here, BDOTY contender for me. I also really like Kendall’s green dress for it’s original color, material and shape. Georgia’s dress is interesting but the hair-thing lets it down.
    I would have hoped that Liu Wen, being the most successfull/famous chinese model ever (?) wore something more extravagant on a night like this. Miranda’s whole outfit I just don’t get at all.

6. kelly May 6, 2015 at 21:21 #

everything hailey baldwin wears is cheapened by virtue of it being on hailey baldwin. i truly cannot believe she is paid to be a model.

i had such high hopes for liu 🙁

7. pinksugar May 6, 2015 at 18:06 #

Rosie likes to be showy and naked as much as anyone else so I don’t get the shade throwing on that one. Karolina looks the best of this batch IMO She really committed to the theme.

8. Jeremy May 6, 2015 at 17:59 #

Overall, this year’s MET Gala was definitely a disappointment compared to years past. There was just very little actual ‘glamour’ and ‘wonder’ and ‘elegance’. Also it seriously lacked in A-List stars.

As usual, though, many of the models looked wonderful.

Karolina Kurkova – She’s my absolute favourite. There’s just something about her aura on the red carpet that just oooozes charisma and let’s her OWN pretty much anything she wears. She is absolutely working the hell out of this look. Her legs are insane. The shoes and hair and makeup are best of the night. And she went with the theme and slaaayyed. In my Top 5 of the night. (Though Fan Bing Bing was my fav). I’m imagining KK in Rihanna’s giant yellow blanket/coat and thinking how awesome that could’ve been.

Karen Elson – I love that she just went for it. Major points for commitment, even if it is ultimately a bit forgettable. Her smile and pose just makes it a bit like she’s having fun dressed up in costume, when really what’s needed to sell a look this dramatic is some serious regal posing and diva-royalty aura. You gotta command attention with your energy. She seems lost in the dress.

Rosie – Feel like I’ve seen this look, or ones like it, on her 100 times. But there’s no denying that she’s ridiculously gorgeous and werking the haailll outta this gown.

Kendall – Best (and most model-like) she’s EVER looked. Literally took my breath away, she’s so gorgeous. Probably in my Top 10 of the night, which I honestly did not expect to happen.

Joan – That colour. Dear GAWD it’s like magic on her. She looks like a siren. Loving this look, though I’m pretty much waaaayyy done with the sheer trend.

Candice – Not digging the hair and makeup. The dress fits her like a dream, though. Her body is unreal. It definitely feels a bit underwhelming for an event like this, though.

Adriana – Unrecognizable. Bless her heart, but she just has no sense of style. And it should be so easy for her; her body is ridiculous and she’s probably one of the most beautiful women in the world. But has she ever had a truly great fashion moment?

Karlie – Gorgeous hair and makeup. Love the dress. Much more suited to a film premiere or some lesser event, though. Karlie has all the potential to be MAJOR on the red carpet, yet she has never given us a memorable epic moment. C’mon, Karlie! Turn it up!

• Zineb May 6, 2015 at 21:14 #

Come on !!!! It wasn’t great but it didn’t lack in A list stars. I mean Madonna, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Julianne Moore, Anne Hathaway, Katy Perry, Jessica Chastain, Jennifer Lawrence, Reese Witherspoon… Do you consider these D list stars? And if so, what is an A list star to you?

• Jeremy May 7, 2015 at 05:50 #

I guess when I think of “A-List Stars” I’m not talking about music royalty. And, as you mentioned, with Rihanna, Beyonce, Gaga, Madonna, etc – we had plenty of those.

I mean legitimate MOVIE STARS. People who still inspire some kind of awe and wonder. Yes we had Reese and JLaw, but I think the event was pretty lacking. I’m talking about Gwyneth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie, Nicole Kidman, Julia Roberts, Cameron Diaz, Sharon Stone, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Sandra Bullock, Emma Stone, Meryl Streep, Penelope Cruz, Scarlett Johansson, Natalie Portman, etc.

• Zineb May 7, 2015 at 11:42 #

All of the people you mentioned are not into the Met Gala and have not attended throughout the years. So you can’t say it lacked in A list stars this year considering those you mentioned don’t do the Met Gala anyway.
          You can find them at the Oscars but they are not Met Gala usuals and you can check it yourself from previous years.

• Prudence May 8, 2015 at 18:33 #

That is not true at all. Aside from Meryl, Sandra and Angelina, all the other actresses mentioned are somewhat regulars at the Met Gala. I was also very confused as to why Cate, Gwyneth and Nicole were not in attendance. They have all had legendary looks at the Met. In fact Jeremy is very right, there were many actresses missing. Where was Emma Watson?? Or Amy Adams,Demi,Ginnifer,Christina Ricci, Michelle Williams, Zoe Saldana or LUPITAAAA!!!

This Met was a joke, the musicians and models all came and failed but the true style stars in Hollywood were nowhere to be seen.

9. Zineb May 6, 2015 at 16:34 #

Fortunately Cannes is still classy and no place for trashiness. It’s a shame the Met Gala allowed naked celebrities in

10. Bailey May 6, 2015 at 16:34 #

In love with both Kendall and Gigi’s looks! Karlie looks good and I love the emerald earrings. Candice’s dress is beautiful and Hannah looks good

11. Kath May 6, 2015 at 16:33 #

Calvin Klein’s design is BOOORIINGGGGG! Kendall has the body to rock the dress itself so it kinda helps the dress! I love how Candice is bringing effortless sexiness oozing from her, even though her dress isn’t event appropriate, but her body is TO DIE FOR! loveee how she’s standing very statuesquely (dunno if thats even a word) but GORGEOUS nevertheless! Naomi in the past 5 years attending the met gala has been very boring and she honestly doesn’t give anything to the table! a very muted look from a gorgeous supermodel who’s supposed to teach the new supermodels how to act and DRESS like a supermodel, but again, the new kids beat her! Naomi, a disappointment to the fashion world (now).

Chrissy Teigen has a great bod but i’m really curious WHYY she doesn.t flaunt it in the right way for the BIGGEST night in fashiooonn hellooo chrissyyyy! ughhh black black and blaacckk! Gigi’s hair i couldn’t even, wowwwww UNBELIEVABLE! Jourdan is gorgeous, honestly, the next naomi campbell, gorgeous with attitude!

12. Carrie May 6, 2015 at 15:47 #

I thought Karolina looked stunning! On theme, and every detail was clearly well planned. One of my best dressed of the night actually.

13. Aocc May 6, 2015 at 15:13 #

Rosie,Hannah, Karolina, Jessica Hart and Lily are the best ones

14. towanda May 6, 2015 at 14:32 #

this year was a let down 🙁

• Meme May 6, 2015 at 15:12 #

Now that trash has been invited, it’s all downhill.

15. Dan Oliver May 6, 2015 at 14:21 #

I love the colour of Kendalls dress even thou it’s not with theme. Jourdan and Rosie are my favourites Karolina was a major let down I had high hopes for her. Cara looks ridiculous nothing rebel about stick on tattoos

16. Meme May 6, 2015 at 13:53 #

Gigi, Kendall and Hailey Baldwin are so basic and generic compared to the likes of Naomi, Lily and Cara. Zero personality and Hailey isn’t even pretty. Love Lily, Karen and Georgia May’s dresses. And Dree even though it wasn’t for the event.

17. gabis May 6, 2015 at 12:52 #

I have to say that Joan’s beautiful styling and complementary makeup really captivated me. She, along with Rosie, Kendall and Karlie are my favorites here. Also like Carol Trentini and Gigi.

18. EmmaWoodhouse May 6, 2015 at 12:26 #

Most are too revealing, off-theme, or downright tacky for my taste. Karolina’s shoes are amazing. Her dress is too Halloween-like, I think.

19. Anne May 6, 2015 at 12:15 #

I loved Lily’s gown and clutch so much. That over-dark lip is a shame because she otherwise would be in my top 5 of the night

• Shae May 7, 2015 at 05:13 #

She’s also quite on theme if you know where to look.

20. Ariya May 6, 2015 at 12:08 #

Karolina and Georgia are the best for me amongst the models. Love everything about their looks though neither made it to my top 10.

Love the colours of Joan, Kendall’s and Jourdan’s dresses but thats about it.
    Off theme Rosie, Chrissy, Hannah and Candice look gorgeous.

Naomi and Irina look super super dated.
    Pretty sure Karlie wore a very similar dress this year.

Applaud Cara’s efforts. Loved her outfit last year but this bodysuit is kinda cheap looking to me.
    Amber’s eyebrows and Lily’s lips ruin their outfits. Love the way Lily is posing though, looks like her fish clutch is flowing in the waves of her dress.

21. Nadia99 May 6, 2015 at 11:21 #

Karen, Rosie and Karolina look faboulous.

Jessica Hart’s gown probably look breathtaking but looses some of its appeal on picture.

Amber Valetta’s dress is very beautiful but she ruined it her hot mess hair and make up.

22. Yeliz May 6, 2015 at 11:16 #

Karolina of the bunch followed by Candice and Cara.

23. Christine May 6, 2015 at 11:02 #

Karolina, Jessica Hart and Lily look nice.

24. alvaro_spain May 6, 2015 at 10:57 #

Karolina Kurkova and Rosie are my faves.

25. Raphael May 6, 2015 at 10:31 #

Love Gigi, Candice and Rosie!

26. Fiona-Brasil May 6, 2015 at 10:08 #

A part from Gigi I don’t see too much worth commenting here….

27. Nat39 May 6, 2015 at 09:28 #

Karolina’s shoes are winning me over (!!). Overall a cute look from her, with full commitment on thematic styling front, but I can’t help but wish she’d done something more grand and epic to add it to her list of knockout MET gala looks. This lacks impact and not that memorable.
    Lily practically killed her gown with that dark lip.

28. scarlett May 6, 2015 at 09:19 #

You’ve missed Natasha Poly in Topshop, who was the best model of the night for me along with Lily Aldridge .

29. Amy May 6, 2015 at 09:09 #

so many looks.
    1. Pretty but forgettable
    -Candice (we’ve seen this dress 10000 times love, ),
    – Gigi, Hannah, Chrissy (shocking), all cute but that’s it.
    – Miranda : that’s not even Met Ball material,that’s a photocall or TV show look .
    2. MEH:
    – Drew: that dress is horrid, in fact the entire outfit, she looks like she’s wearing a sack.
    – Cara: didn’t she wear the same jumpsuit (in black &white) last year? Is this the best Stella can do?
    -Adriana: great vampy hair & makeup but that dress is awful
    3. the rest:
    – Amber ruined her dress with that hair & makeup. what’s wrong with her
    – Joan, I like the color of the dress but not the structure
    -Kendall, Karlie,Rosie, Jourdan are OK.
    – Liu : HUGE disappointment, she’s chinese so I expected more. this is just bland.
    – KK: always on point, she seems to favour this silhouette a lot but she’s sticking with the theme so shets an A.
    – Caroline looks gorgeous even if she skipped the theme

30. Alina May 6, 2015 at 09:08 #

Candice looks flawless, but not quite on theme.

31. SHAK May 6, 2015 at 09:07 #

Thank you for your amazing coverage FC!!! Love love loveee this!!!! 😀 x

32. Jas May 6, 2015 at 09:05 #

Karen, Rosie and Georgia May were my favourites.

33. kane May 6, 2015 at 08:55 #

Not much here for me frankly. I probably like Candice most and Cara’s approach makes me smile.

I had high hopes for Karolina after she shut down the event so memorably last year–this however is a great disappointment. It’s obviously theme-inspired but the adaptation follows the way the traditional dress of where I come from, Bavaria, is usually adapted: keep some recognisable elements and otherwise make it shorter, shorter, shorter. Not very clever but tacky if in a different way that we have seen from Beyoncé, Kim and Jennifer.

34. TL May 6, 2015 at 08:53 #

Karolina Kurkova Is my favorite from all the models, and definitely one of my top 10 from the night! She never disappoints us, the dress suits the theme, and is fun and memorable. Her hair, makeup and accessories, shoes are all gorgeous. Stunning

• Anya May 6, 2015 at 10:35 #

35. charlotte May 6, 2015 at 08:53 #

WHAT??the last one was Adriana lima? I could barely recognize,This is exactly what a terrible dress and styling can do to a real beauty.
    Among these leggy ladies, Karolina Kurkova’s red satin number was the most original and theme-appropriate of all,and her styling is so unique and gorgeous.
    OFF theme: rosie-huntington-whiteley, GIgi hadid and Liu Wen all looked sensational.
    As for the rest of the bunch,I’m not even gonna make a comment.