Menu

06.05.15

2015 Met Gala Roundup

"China: Through The Looking Glass" Costume Institute Benefit Gala - Arrivals

A flurry of even more bold names descended on red carpet of the ‘China: Through the Looking Glass’ 2015 Met Gala, hosted at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City on Monday (May 4), where their colourful variety of looks only contributed to this year’s fashion extravaganza.

Anna Wintour
: As the gala co-host, the ‘Vogue’ editor-in-chief dressed thematically (for her, anyway) in a Chanel Spring 2015 Couture gown featuring dimensional, all-over poppy embroidery, which had been lengthened from the runway’s original shorter version. She should have maintained her signature cap sleeve, as the flower petal statement shoulders translated as a bit cumbersome, despite their inherent artistry.

Bee Shaffer: Like her mother, Bee also found inspiration in flowers, opting for a mahogany blossom gown by Alexander McQueen. I much preferred this look to Anna’s, especially with the enchantment of the beautifully embroidered Chinese cranes that alighted down the back of the dress.

met gala 2

Imogen Poots: Gothic was the name of Imogen’s game in a sheer black lace Alberta Ferretti gown paired with equally vampy red eye makeup and a bitten red lip.

Kristen Wiig
: While the lemon-chiffon colour of her Prabal Gurung asymmetrical gown was lovely, as was the diaphanous cape train that floated behind her, I couldn’t begin to understand where this look fit into the theme. The goth black mani and piles of rings and bangles were also puzzling against the softer silhouette and hue of the dress.

Met gALA 2

Alexa Chung: The richly vibrant, floral embroidered fabric of this Erdem gown, inspired by the Fall 2015 collection, was a striking addition to the red carpet. But I was too distracted by two things to really appreciate it. First, the strapless dress looks like it’s about to slide down and, second, the shrunken hemline creates an awkward length.

Lorde: While the backless element of this midnight-blue beaded Calvin Klein Collection gown was marginally more interesting than the front, I was left feeling uninspired. A sleeker updo and bold red lip would have been a great place to start to elevate the dress for the evening.

met gala 3

Madonna: Like Katy Perry, Madonna wore a sassy Moschino gown, arm gloves, and a robe-style cape with loud, graffiti lettering emblazoned with the words, “Rebel Heart.” And like Katy’s dress, I can find little that represents the theme here, although she does wear the rebellious, punk look quite well.

Sophie Turner: The ‘Game of Thrones’ starlet should have saved her liquid-silver Burberry plunge gown for another red-carpet occasion. Here, the look lost some of its lustre amidst the Chinese-influenced mood of the evening.

Met gALA 4

Cher: Donning a look that could be called a bit conservative for her, the Marc Jacobs side-slit gown glinted with circular sequin embellishment. Too bad about the fishnets and platform sandals, which downgraded the dress even more.

Emily Ratajowski: Going the way of a high-street look, Emily wore a custom Topshop floral-embroidered, figure-tracing dress that certainly was less showy than some of the other entrances last night, and for that reason, perhaps less memorable. But I don’t mind her refined Chinese-inspired moment here, although the platform shoes are a bit much.

Met gala 5

Kate Mara: All I could think about upon seeing this ombre floral-printed Diane Von Furstenberg floor-scraping gown was that it was too long in the front. A sleek bun and bold lip would have also been preferred.

Vanessa Hudgens
: Joining Sarah Jessica Parker in the fast fashion lane, Vanessa also wore a custom H&M frock, hers a tea-length design embellished in clusters of black beading. A birdcage veil and black chandelier earrings completed her dramatic, vintage-glam look.

Met gala 6

Cassie: Attending with tux-clad boyfriend Sean “Diddy” Combs, she joined several others in wearing white for the evening. Her seductive Zuhair Murad gown was far from innocent with sheer leaf-like embellishment across the waist and down the sides, with tassel earrings and a polished updo finishing the look.

Gabrielle Union
: While the rich plum hue of her Zac Posen gown was stunning, it wasn’t enough to make this look stand out enough for the occasion.

Met gala 7

Jaime King: The pregnant actress also relied on the colour red to fulfill the evening’s theme, but that’s as close as she got with her BOSS gown with a long train. Nonetheless, I was captivated by its effortless simplicity and sublime draping.

Ivanka Trump: While at first glance, this Prabal Gurung gown seems minimalistic in spirit, it conveyed maximum impact with the dark blue hue contrasted with panels of white in the extensive train, plus button detailing at the back. Floral statement earrings and a tonal blue clutch completed her regal entrance.

Met gala 8

Alison Brie: Alison also selected a Prabal Gurung gown, but I saw even less of the Chinese influence in this royal purple design, although the layered and embellished lace and chiffon effect was delightful.

Adele Exarchopoulos: The statement ruffled shoulders of this metallic Valentino gown reminded me of Jennifer Connelly’s Louis Vuitton dresses, which immediately turned me off this look.

Met gala 9

Janelle Monae: Another starlet, another custom H&M ensemble—but this one was clearly stood above the rest. The modern cropped silhouette of the top and skirt was contrasted with traditional Chinese detailing and a voluminous cape for an all-out dramatic effect. Plus I loved seeing the songstress in something less mannish, but still plenty modish, with her faux-hawk long warrior braid just adding another edgy flourish to the look.

Annabelle Wallis: I wish the intricately embroidered Dolce & Gabbana with 3-D floral embellishment had been less aging on the British actress, who added more adornment in her earrings and floral hair pins. I cannot admit to understanding the fur clutch.

Met gala 10

Indre Rockefeller: The mixed proportions and fabrications of this Delpozo gown with the light black chiffon and heavy beaded middle was just odd. It seemed as if three different dresses had been fused together.

Brie Larson: In the same vein as Annabelle, Brie wore an ornamental Dolce & Gabbana gown, topping hers with a decorative headpiece and highly unnecessary earrings and necklace.

Met gala 11

Mary Kate & Ashley Olsen: Injecting their unique sartorial sensibility to the ‘China: Through the Looking Glass’ theme, the sisters coordinated in vintage-inspired dark black looks that maintained a goth vibe, too. But the brooch-pinned robe and feathery lace black gown actually weren’t too oversized on the stars in comparison to some of their voluminous entrances, so they get points for that reason.

Li Yuchun: Maintaining her signature style, the entertainer wore a black Givenchy Couture ensemble in which sheer lace pants added a measure of sultry intrigue to the structured lines of the jacket.

Credit: Getty

Rosamund Pike's Alexander McQueen Mixed-Print Full-Skirt Dress

Rosamund Pike’s Alexander McQueen Mixed-Print Full-Skirt Dress

Selena Gomez' J Brand Tailored High-Rise Flared Denim Trousers

Selena Gomez’ J Brand Tailored High-Rise Flared Denim Trousers

57 Responses to 2015 Met Gala Roundup

1. yumi May 23, 2015 at 02:17 #

LiYuChun is so cool without black overcoat

2. Fanny May 6, 2015 at 23:24 #

For me Janelle was one of the best dressed of the night. Impressive that she managed the perfect mix of her own style and the night’s theme. I also liked Jamie, Alexa and Bee.

3. Estranged May 6, 2015 at 19:17 #

Bee is definitely my best dressed at this disappointing event. She delivered drama without a hint of try-hard and stuck to the theme without looking cartoonish.

4. pinksugar May 6, 2015 at 18:10 #

Ivanka, Sophie, and Lorde all look pretty but also completely out of touch with the theme. Wintour looks ridiculous. She’s too old for that dress and I am so over that played out bob and necklace.

5. Carrie May 6, 2015 at 15:53 #

Bee was one of the best dressed of the night! Looked divine, plus on theme.

6. Phoenix May 6, 2015 at 15:13 #

Bee looks amazing! Awesome colors, awesome on theme. Gorgeous gorgeous dress.
    Truly beautiful. I think this is her personal best imo (from the pics Ive seen of her).
    Shes definately one of the top best.

7. Chris May 6, 2015 at 14:29 #

Anna Camp looks so different here, I didn’t believe it was her until I looked it up and it is supposed to be her. Wtf. Weird.

Btw, I think so far you missed some people, like Helen Mirren or Alicia Vikander who were at the Gala as well.

• Chris May 6, 2015 at 14:33 #

Okay, Anna Camp turns out to not be Anna Camp as I originally thought, it is a mistake by Getty Images.

• H May 6, 2015 at 18:15 #

Yes, that’s definitely not Anna Camp.

8. Joe May 6, 2015 at 14:14 #

That… Does not look like Anne Camp.

9. gabis May 6, 2015 at 13:04 #

Bee, hands down. Breathtaking. Lorde’s overall look is nothing special but I’m obssessed with her perfect hair and makeup here.

10. Britta May 6, 2015 at 11:02 #

Correction: Adele is not wearing Valentino, but Louis Vuitton!

11. Jimmy May 6, 2015 at 10:51 #

Interesting group of gowns. While I know Madonna wasn’t in the theme. She did have a good reason for wearing the Graffiti Gown. She did it as a tribute to her friend the late Keith Harring whose birthday was on Monday. Of all the looks in this group I think Bea’s was my personal favorite.

12. james May 6, 2015 at 10:08 #

I have decided to only comment on people who have actually respected THE THEME! Looking great is good but looking great while respecting the theme is even better! It’s just so frigging frustrating 🙁
    On a plus side: where were all those amazing dresses during the Awards season?!

13. Amy May 6, 2015 at 09:22 #

I have to say I’m impressed with H&M, they really went there. I like all of their attendees’ looks : Vanessa, Janelle & co.
    I think Kate Mare looks lovely, her dress is simple but has elements of the theme , the length isn’t an issue.
    Bee looks great but I’m not wowed.

14. Alina May 6, 2015 at 09:04 #

Bee for me too.

Also… I love Kristen Wiig’s dress. Alison Brie and Adele look beautiful too, but not for this event.

15. kane May 6, 2015 at 09:00 #

I love Bea (could have done without the white on the back/train) and Janelle!

Kristen, Emily (minus all the superfluous material underneath her shoes obvs), Kate and Gabrielle (I appreciate a little nod to the theme more than going all crazy on it or not at all) look good too.

• kane May 6, 2015 at 09:00 #

Bee, my bad.

• charlotte May 6, 2015 at 11:26 #

Actually, if you had seen full image of the back,you won’t say this.
        the white part is the cranes’s big wings in full length.It’s utterly divine,I strongly suggest you taking another look at the dress on other websites.

16. Jas May 6, 2015 at 09:00 #

Actually, I thought Alexa looked pretty amazing in other pictures I’ve seen of her. And the length didn’t look as awkward as it does in this photo. Loved her turquoise shoes with the dress too.
    Bee was definitely one of my favourites.

17. Fiona-Brasil May 6, 2015 at 08:57 #

Bee look great!

18. Peony May 6, 2015 at 07:20 #

Bee was my favourite for the night. That McQueen is everything – a romantic, aristocratic work of art. That merlot hue is so good on her, and I love that it’s not another strapless/revealing silhouette. Bee knows how to dress for her shape, and she looks stunning and statuesque. Bonus points for the Kirkwood silk sandals and bird motif knuckle clutch.

19. Vivien May 6, 2015 at 05:39 #

I actually think some of the Page 3 type attendees wore the theme way better than the movie stars and models. Did anyone see Dee Hilfiger and Georgia May Jagger?

• Ariya May 6, 2015 at 15:33 #

Just saw Dee Hilfiger! That colour! WOW!
      Exactly what I was expecting from other attendees.
      Time to make changes to my top 5 list.

Also loved Georgia. And though others might not agree but I loved her styling.

20. Yeliz May 6, 2015 at 05:37 #

Bee’s gown fits her to perfection, she looks stunning. Sophie, Kate, Vanessa and Janelle are also among my favourites.

21. Nat39 May 6, 2015 at 05:22 #

Bee Shaffer. Elegance, polish and the on-theme drama of the train. Perfection. If I had to complain about something – it’s making her look a bit too mature esp. in this hue.

22. Aocc May 6, 2015 at 04:56 #

Bee’s on my Top 5!!!!!

• Zineb May 6, 2015 at 12:02 #

Same! Bee Shaffer is on my top best dressed of the event. Beautiful gown

23. Marybeth May 6, 2015 at 04:37 #

Some very nice looks here but only Janelle Monae and Bee Shaffer really stand out for me. They’re both on theme, classy, and perfectly styled. Well done!

24. sharlin lee May 6, 2015 at 03:54 #

Can you feature more stars at this event like Vicki Zhao, Li Bing Bing and Gao Yuan Yuan?

• Catherine Kallon May 6, 2015 at 07:27 #

On the night the pictures weren’t available hence Fan posted the day after. I have Tang Wei and Carina Lau but I am travelling so won’t be able to post until later

• charlotte May 6, 2015 at 09:06 #

OH,FC,it’s so nice to finally see your comment.
        I was so worried that you might be sick or something since you’ve never been MIA during the MET GALA.
        Glad to hear u r travelling,plz have fun.

• sharlin lee May 6, 2015 at 11:35 #

Hello there! Thanks for the reply;) really hoped you could feature more of these chinese stars. I really love reading your page! Have a safe journey;)

25. msd May 6, 2015 at 03:54 #

Bee’s outfit is one of the best of the night. I like Janelle too – on theme but a bit different and true to her style. Kate Mara’s dress is fine but she needs to be about a foot taller. Alexa’s dress is ill-fitting and looks poorly made for something that’s Erdem.

• charlotte May 6, 2015 at 04:01 #

ITA!!the dress looks nothing like an Erdem piece and more like homemade,and her shoe choice is unforgivable

26. Lyo May 6, 2015 at 03:53 #

I really loved Bee’s dress, one of the best of the night, IMHO. I wish we have a frontal picture, but I can’t find none. Great look, nevertheless.

I don’t dislike Alexa’s look, but she really could’ve done something better with the hair.

Lorde’s dress was nice from the back, off-theme, but in a night of a lot off-themed dresses, who can complain…

Madonna is looking great for the two years’ ago Met Gala (also Kate Perry).

Sophie looks pretty, but I’d like a tinny little less cleavage.

Kate Mara, like Dianna Agron, was chic, understated and on theme. Kudos for both.

That’s my highlights. I was hoping for a more exciting year in this gala.

• Lyo May 6, 2015 at 03:56 #

*highlights of this post.

27. charlotte May 6, 2015 at 03:47 #

Bee shaffer’s Alexander McQueen design is absolutely breathtaking,the patterns on the dress is actually Plum blossoms and Chinese red headed cranes,these two elements are most commonly seen on traditional Chinese paintings as a symbol of uber elegance and serenity.
    I just adore the burgundy hue and the romantic long train,and bee’s hair and makeup are all on point.
    Theme hugging and perfectly styled, bee is easily one of my top five of the night following Fan bingbing,Zhang Ziyi and Emily blunt.
    Sadly the same couldn’t be said to most of the ladies in this post, as much as I like Alexa Chung’s daily outfits, the dress she wore last night was a huge failure.the awkward length and poor fit all ruined this for me,and her shoes choice is shocking,what was she even thinking?DID she leave in a rush and had her grandma’s slippers on?
    Madonna and katy perry were huge laughing stocks last night as they seemed completely unaware of the theme for wearing the graffiti gowns designed by Jeremy Scott AKA the tacky master. Off-theme in the most terrible way.
    Cassie and Gabrielle Union both looked pretty but forgettable.
    Jamie king and Ivanka trump,I could tell they must put a lot of efforts in styling,Thankfully ,the results were nice,so they get a pass from me.
    What really surprised me is Ms.Janelle Monae here,her H&M ensemble was a striking entrance which perfectly emcompassed the theme of the event, I was delighted to see some of traditional Chinese tailoring techniques such as the white lock stitches on the borders and floral knot button on top.she was a vision of black and white.
    Annabelle Wallis and Brie Larson,the Dolce dressed,tiaras and earrings are all exquisite,however, this is a Chinese themed event,not Italian. If this was your understanding of Chinese influence,I would beg you ladies to stop rubbing your ignorance to our faces!!
    The olsen twins were much improved from last year,at least they looked presentable.
    Li Yuchun was completely overwhelmed by this custom made Givenchy piece,Ricardo tisci continued his weird obessesion of sheerness on Li and it ended up just equally catastrophic.Such a shame for LI Yunchun,she deserves so much better.
    AND that pretty much wrapped up my MET GALA experience,here is my top 5 LIST:
    1.Zhang Ziyi in Carolina herrera
    2.Fan Bingbing in custom Christopher Bu
    3.Gong Li in Roberto Cavalli
    4.Emily Blunt in Prada
    5.Bee Shaffer in Alexander McQueen.

28. Bailey May 6, 2015 at 03:40 #

I like Kate Mara’s dress, but some changes could have been made to make it better. Jaime’s dress was a great choice to showcase her pregnant belly and the colour is beautiful. I also like Gabrielle’s clutch.

29. Noah May 6, 2015 at 03:36 #

Don’t you think that Jamie king’s dress is very similar to reese’s dress? Even though they are designed by Jason Wu

30. JOhn May 6, 2015 at 03:30 #

I dont think that’s Anna Camp, unless the angle is weird.

• Kate May 6, 2015 at 04:07 #

That’s what I thought too! But it is her.

• Maria May 6, 2015 at 11:26 #

Is Indré Rockefeller, US President of Del Pozo.

31. moonbeam May 6, 2015 at 03:30 #

I LOVE Janelle Monae’s look! I also liked Joan Small’s look.

32. Magdalena May 6, 2015 at 03:29 #

My favourites here are Bee and Alexa.
    Also, the woman labeled as Anna Camp is actually Indre Rockefeller, and she’s wearing DelPozo.

33. Bec May 6, 2015 at 03:27 #

Theme-wise, Bee totally shut it down – she looked divine.

I also love Kate Mara’s dress, but I don’t love the way it looks on her, it definitely needed someone more statuesque.

34. Jeremy May 6, 2015 at 03:15 #

What about Karolina Kurkova in her gorgeous red, theme-appropriate dress?

• Magdalena May 6, 2015 at 03:25 #

Hopefully there’s a model roundup post coming. They always nail the theme.

• charlotte May 6, 2015 at 03:52 #

+1,I would love to see a model’s roundup

35. Christine May 6, 2015 at 02:58 #

For on theme: I LOVE Bee’s look.

Off theme: I like Vanessa, Kate, Cassie and Gabrielle’s looks. Gorgeous.

• anna May 6, 2015 at 07:36 #

36. Bree May 6, 2015 at 02:53 #

I think Alison, whilst not in theme, looks amazing!

37. EmmaWoodhouse May 6, 2015 at 02:53 #

Brie, Alison, Emily, and Vanessa stand out for me. But Bee Shaffer SHUT IT DOWN. She is in my top four (with Fan, Zhang, and Emily Blunt). AMAZING. What a gorgeous dress.

• Milla B. May 6, 2015 at 03:16 #

We have a similar top 4. The only difference is instead of Emily Blunt I will put Emma Roberts. 🙂

• charlotte May 6, 2015 at 03:50 #

We share the same list!!!!!!they are also my top 5.see my comment below

• dee May 6, 2015 at 04:08 #

My top picks too. Bee, Fan, Emily, Zhang and Janelle. I wish more stars embraced the Chinese theme.

• TL May 6, 2015 at 06:25 #

Agree with the ladies above, Bee, Fan, Zhang, Emily are also in my top 10 list
      Plus: Karolina kurkova, Marisa Mayer, Lauren santo Domingo, Amal, Colin Firth’s wife, and Kate Beckingsale