Menu

19.02.15

Alfre Woodard’s Oscar’s Sistahs Soiree

Alfre Woodard's Oscar's Sistahs Soiree
Many stars attended Alfre Woodard’s Oscar’s Sistahs Soiree by White Diamond Lustre, Elizabeth Taylor at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel on Wednesday (February 18) in Beverly Hills, California, where they showed off a range of different dress codes at the event—from casual to cocktail snazzy.

Kerry Washington
: The ‘Scandal’ actress brought a touch of spring to the soiree in her Sophia Kah look featuring a floral skirt with contrast paneling. I love the mix of the watercolour-inspired print with the bolder edge of the midnight-blue top and burnt-orange colour-blocked hem. Elegant waves and an oxblood lip balanced the look.

Gugu Mbatha-Raw
: The star’s bright smile brought vibrancy to this riff on the LBD. The Narciso Rodriguez Spring 2015 dress with embroidered neckline and sheer chiffon detailing was effortlessly chic, with Kwiat jewels elevating the look with a subtle sparkle.

Zoe Saldana: Looking radiant in ruffles, Zoe worked this deep blue Lanvin dress to her advantage. The black belting added the bit of figure-defining structure that the design required, with a spirited punch courtesy of the contrast dotted Kurt Geiger ‘Bond’ pumps and her beautiful red lip.

Alfre Woodard's Oscar's Sistahs Soiree 2

Carmen Ejogo: Flaunting some razzle-dazzle flair, the British actress stood out in her glittery black Pamella Roland Pre-Fall 2015 party frock with feathered skirt. With the fun of the dress, she kept her styling simple, yet I would have much preferred a black sandal to her nude version.

Rosario Dawson
: Rocking the casual spirit of a jumpsuit, the actress kept it simple in red with a camel brown shoulder bag.

Viola Davis: The actress couldn’t be missed in her super-hot-pink satin strapless cocktail dress, styled with metallic sandals and beautiful waves. The shine factor of this statement would have been just as strong without the arm cuff, which proved distracting.

Alfre Woodard's Oscar's Sistahs Soiree 3

Nicole Beharie: ‘The Walking Dead’ actress completely streamlined her look by donning a black dress and little else, save for an unusual selection of beige shoes. I was craving some element of surprise in the form of a statement accessory or spunky shoe to make this look more memorable.

Danai Gurira: Wearing a beautifully soft yet impactful shade of ocean blue, the ‘Walking Dead’ star cut a striking profile in this pleated dress with embellished neckline and complementary clutch. At first, I questioned her nude sandals, but they do add a less precious component to balance the look.

Alfre Woodard: The star of the night wore a black dress accented by directional cape-like detailing. The power of this look was in its silhouette, although I couldn’t help wondering how much more powerful it would have been with a strong heel rather than an embellished thong.

Credit: Getty

Michael Kors Miranda Eyewear Collection Event

Michael Kors Miranda Eyewear Collection Event

Dakota Johnson In Oscar de la Renta - Late Show With David Letterman

Dakota Johnson In Oscar de la Renta – Late Show With David Letterman

28 Responses to Alfre Woodard’s Oscar’s Sistahs Soiree

1. Shruti February 21, 2015 at 06:02 #

Viola’s dress looks stunning on her. I was so busy staring at her, I didn’t even notice the cuff until I read the post! Zoe looks gorgeous in that dress!

2. TeaAtTwo February 20, 2015 at 11:55 #

Kerry is my favourite here. I love the print. Zoellick is rocking her outfit too.Carmen looks great from ankles up.

3. Megs222 February 20, 2015 at 11:51 #

What a stunningly beautiful collection of women. There is just something about Zoe Saldana. One anyone else, I would not like this look, but she just oozes style and sophistication.

I know we are talking about fashion, but WOW, Viola Davis has the most amazing skin and shoulders/arms. I am not wild about her dress, but I really like her shoes!

4. Alina February 20, 2015 at 09:40 #

Kerry from the bunch.

5. L February 20, 2015 at 01:18 #

Zoe is in Lanvin Spring 2015. Kerry is in Sophia Kah. Excited to see what they wear this weekend.

6. Carla February 20, 2015 at 00:15 #

I can’t recall a red carpet when Alfre Woodard didn’t wear an embellished thong sandal. It seems to be her signature style.

7. Claire February 19, 2015 at 23:58 #

Zoe is usually so on point, I’m super disappointed by this look. It has way too much going on and it just overwhelms her!

Love Danai’s look. That color holds a special place in my heart and she rocks it! My favorite of the bunch for sure.

• Camille February 20, 2015 at 09:05 #

Twin babies barely several weeks old will do that to the best of us, and Zoe clearly is not only properly prioritizing her new status as mum, but has placed her focus on what’s most important to her now – her boys.

She looks genuinely content – which is the most beautiful look of all.

Motherhood has brought out this wonderfully carefree thing about her – and I love it!

8. CreoleLady February 19, 2015 at 22:32 #

Love that red jumpsuit on Dawson (her accessories, not so much). The painterly print on Washington’s skirt, very pretty. Love the color on Viola Davis. I think my fave ,though, may be Danai Gurira, beautiful.

Pet peeve: “nude” is different depending on skin tone. Tan, beige, coffee, mocha, champagne, chocolate, cafe au lait, cream — nude comes in many colors, not just one. A shoe that is “nude” on me might not be “nude” on someone else.

• Camille February 20, 2015 at 09:13 #

I think it’s Rosario’s hair that’s not quite done that’s a bit of a problem..

The fringed indigo wrap(?) in her hand piqued my interest, but doesn’t quite work with the tomato red jumpsuit.

The necklace and embroidered bag as separates are interesting pieces, but I don’t think they quite work with the overall look.

9. julyol1972 February 19, 2015 at 20:50 #

My first comment didn’t post, so I’ll try again:

FC, the captions attributed to Danai, and Nicole are incorrectly placed.

10. Elana February 19, 2015 at 20:41 #

You mixed up the outfits and shows of Nicole Behari and Danai Gurira. Nicole stars in Sleepy Hollow and is wearing the black dress, while Danai is on The Walking Dead and is wearing the blue dress.

11. V February 19, 2015 at 20:18 #

Nicole Beharie is the one on the left in the 2nd row.

12. moonbeam February 19, 2015 at 20:08 #

Of the last 3 women Nicole Beharie is in the black dress and Danai Gurira is in the ocean blue dress.

13. Sarah February 19, 2015 at 20:07 #

It seems you’ve accidentally switched Danai and Nicole Beharie’s names.

14. Sarah February 19, 2015 at 20:06 #

It seems you’ve swapped up the names of Danai Gurira and Nicole Beharie.

15. Christine February 19, 2015 at 20:03 #

Just submitted two comments and it’s not posting! Please FC, fixed this problem. It’s not just mine comments either! It’s other commenters. It’s annoying.

Kerry looks the best from the bunch.

• Catherine Kallon February 19, 2015 at 20:58 #

I have just checked and they all seem to be going into spam. I will get this looked at asap.

• Christine February 19, 2015 at 22:51 #

Thank you so much!

16. Yeliz February 19, 2015 at 20:03 #

Gugu of the bunch.

• Bailey February 19, 2015 at 23:34 #

• Camille February 20, 2015 at 08:58 #

Gugu is cute and just seems to have fun. She seems unburdened by the Hollywood games and the cunning ways of some of the others.

I also like Carmen Ejogo. She always looks beautifully turned out – and yet you never get the sense that it’s some major production getting dressed for events.

And there’s none of that pouting and posing which scores high marks from me.

Viola looks beautiful, fit and real – and like she’s having a lot of fun genuinely rediscovering herself and exploring fashion in a fun way. Not manufactured at all.

17. Christine February 19, 2015 at 20:01 #

You mixed up Nicole and Danai’s descriptions’ Nicole is not wearing blue.

That aside, Kerry looks the best from the bunch IMO.

18. Christine February 19, 2015 at 20:00 #

You mixed up Nicole and Danai’s description. Nicole is not wearing blue.

Kerry looks great. I like her look from the bunch!

19. Alyssa February 19, 2015 at 19:33 #

I just wanted to point out that I think you have Danai Gurira and Nicole Beharie confused – Gurira is in the blue and Beharie in the black 🙂

20. Valissa February 19, 2015 at 19:28 #

Hey, Nicole Beharie is the one in black and Danai is the one in blue.
    I got a little confused for a moment there lol

21. malinda jane February 19, 2015 at 19:15 #

You’ve confused Nicole and Danai.

Carmen’s dress is my favourite of the bunch.