Menu

23.12.14 Best Of

Outstanding Service To The Colour Black – Angelina Jolie

Outstanding Service To The Colour Black
Angelina Jolie put the bold in the colour black this year, giving the hue the VIP treatment on nearly every single red carpet she frequented.

The actress, who has somewhat stayed away from the spotlight, was back in action thanks in large part to her international promo tour for ‘Maleficent,’ which was where we really starting seeing her full embrace of the colour.

Relying heavily on the Atelier Versace design house for her black dresses, she debuted the dark shade in many renditions that not only suited her modest and slightly mysterious, red-carpet style, but also perfectly fit her sinister, fairytale character in the film—especially when paired with custom Christian Louboutin, ‘Maleficent’-inspired heels.

From a rubberized silk gown at the world premiere in Hollywood to a glittery Swarovski crystal-embroidered chiffon confection at a private reception for the movie, she worked every angle of the colour to dramatic and dimensional effect. And she gave me a whole new appreciation for the LBD with her structured Atelier Versace hourglass dress at the Japan premiere.

Perhaps one of the few times she wasn’t dressed in the colour was when she married Brad Pitt in an Atelier Versace white satin gown.

Repetitive it might have been, but her unapologetic adoption of the shade was intriguing and she worked it to captivating effect. Will 2015 be the year of another statement colour for Angelina?

Somehow I think she’ll stick to black.

Runner Up: Rooney Mara

Credit: Getty

Heidi Klum's Étoile Isabel Marant Serra Jacquard-Knit Wool-Blend Cardigan

Heidi Klum’s Étoile Isabel Marant Serra Jacquard-Knit Wool-Blend Cardigan

Clutch of the Year 2014 - Rauwolf

Clutch of the Year 2014 – Rauwolf

11 Responses to Outstanding Service To The Colour Black – Angelina Jolie

1. Dhppy December 24, 2014 at 22:52 #

Julianne Moore is my fave in black. Rooney Mara second. I’ve just never taken to Jolie’s fashion sense.

2. Nat39 December 23, 2014 at 17:18 #

Julianne Moore was my pick – she looks supremely sophisticated in black while it somewhat “drains” Angelina at times and there is always a strong feeling of a tremendous unused potential. Her Versace LBD did work well.

3. Dil December 23, 2014 at 16:39 #

My pick was Rooney..she always looked so chic and never ever boring or repetitive …

4. kane December 23, 2014 at 16:14 #

Rooney for me. Angelina’s constant recycling of the grand lady persona is so tiresome and not versatile enough to limit yourself to (virtually) one colour, or at least one colour palette. Rooney has more edge and is more intetesting in her choices, and her moody/fawn attitude on the RC works nicely in terms of the healthy dose of irony injected into the title of this category.
    I’d take Alina’s suggestions, but JuliannE’s self-limiting also became too restrictive and boring too quickly (i.e. before she grew out of it) while JuliannA is quite a natural at pullinh of black as a style. She actually does black too well to win this title.

• Alina December 23, 2014 at 16:28 #

Well, I actually took this title as a compliment, not something ironic.

So… yes, completely agree with you that Julianna is amazing in black (she wore only black this year and I wasn’t bored one minute; she has something royal about her – something she’s been born with, not something she ‘fakes’) and half-agree with you about Julianne (I’m not bored by her in black, but I do wish she’d wear other colours more often).

P.S.: Great to have a conversation!

• bfly December 24, 2014 at 01:43 #

Thank you, I so totally agree! I think Julianne is the one woman who can rock black in every single way on every single day!

• kane December 24, 2014 at 11:17 #

I don’t want to put words into FC’s mouth so maybe it wasn’t ironic at all 🙂 I take your point and absolutely agree: would love to have more conversations between users on this blog!

5. Alina December 23, 2014 at 15:59 #

Not my choice. Yes, she was better this year, but still not my favourite.

Julianne Moore (the Giambattista Valli Couture @TIFF) and Julianna Margulies (the Andrew GN @ the Golden Globes!) were my picks.

• bfly December 24, 2014 at 01:41 #

Yes, I voted for queen Julianne also!

6. Christine December 23, 2014 at 15:26 #

I don’t recall this category. Must’ve skipped it lol.

Angie is the queen of Black

• Phoenix December 24, 2014 at 04:01 #

dang it. I didnt get this category either. O well, I would of voted for her anyways!