Menu

14.11.14

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Diane von Furstenberg - Royal Variety Performance

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge attended the Royal Variety Performance on Thursday (November 13) ready for a night of entertainment courtesy of Ed Sheeran, Ellie Goulding and One Direction.

The Duchess kept it very simple, wearing a long black Diane von Furstenberg lace gown with a delicate scalloped neckline.

She styled the dress, which showed off her blossoming baby bump, with a sparkly black clutch and Lola blue topaz hoop earrings by Kiki McDonough, while styling her gorgeous brunette locks in a low chignon for a refreshing change.

I know what many of you are thinking… boring, and I would tend to agree. I wish this was teal-blue, plum or even red.

461661_in_pp

You can buy Catherine’s Diane von Furstenberg Zarita Floral Lace Long Gown from
Net-A-Porter.com and Selfridges.

Credit: Getty

Lupita Nyong'o's Kurt Geiger London Anja Pumps

Lupita Nyong’o’s Kurt Geiger London Anja Pumps

Mary, Crown Princess of Denmark In Jesper Høvring - 2014 Bambi Awards

Mary, Crown Princess of Denmark In Jesper Høvring – 2014 Bambi Awards

28 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Diane von Furstenberg – Royal Variety Performance

1. Alina November 15, 2014 at 15:41 #

It is boring, but that’s not the biggest problem for me – I can’t look past the fact that this is sooo aging.

2. Sarah November 15, 2014 at 14:07 #

I almost wish you would stop featuring her, you are so much harder on her than so many celebs on here which seems to stem more as backlash from the way the British overly adores anything she wears. I get that she can be predictable and repetive but I don’t get the sense she is trying to be an icon. Not trying to be a jerk here but just putting the thought out there to “stop beating the dead horse.”

• Sarah November 15, 2014 at 14:08 #

*British press

3. M. November 15, 2014 at 11:25 #

Somehow, I think that it’s not the dress that’s at fault. Yes, it is boring, but the top half is pretty enough. It’s her posture (her neck is sticking out and her arms and shoulders. it just looks awkward). She lacks presence and personality. If you’re not a wallflower then a black dress won’t be boring. This is pretty much the only reason I can’t think of why pretty much none of her looks are a hit, while the clothes themselves are okay or fine most of the time.

4. Kyriaki November 14, 2014 at 20:37 #

I find it annoying that she is always compared to someone. Princess Diana, Michelle Obama, Mary of Denmark. Why compare her? Each person is unique. You don’t like her style? Fine! Just not compare her.

Anyway, the dress is ok, I like the hair, the best thing is how her earrings match her eyes.

5. Dhppy November 14, 2014 at 18:20 #

I actually like this look. I think it reads very elegant. It fits her like a dream and I’m not bored by the black.

• sanette November 14, 2014 at 18:44 #

I love the different hairstyle as well.

6. Maria C. November 14, 2014 at 17:46 #

Her signature hair style was finally changed to a elegant bun, but the dress is probably the most matronly gown that she ever wore. And hit this mark is quite something …

7. pinksugar November 14, 2014 at 16:02 #

pretty but oh so boring.

• Serena November 14, 2014 at 19:09 #

I agree- and I think its so boring because I feel have seen her wear this gown before- I know its new but it looks like so many other things she wears. I think she is afraid to try different stuff and wears the same thing in different colours – like her wickstead in pink and teal blue!!!!

8. bisbee November 14, 2014 at 14:14 #

I think she looks lovely. She is definitely not the fashion plate many expect her to be…I find it curious how harshly she is judged at times.

• Jen November 14, 2014 at 15:35 #

+1 a thousand times. I’d like to see all of the critics of her style step in her shoes, not only does she have to be fashionable but she has to do it as a royal. And I don’t think doubt for a second that since she was a commoner that she is unfairly critiqued by those within the royal circle. I’d love to see her get a break for once.

• Tara November 14, 2014 at 16:12 #

Harshly judged??? Hardly ever- if you look at any of the websites/blogs- any outfit of hers even the simplest is usually praised extravagantly.It amazing the worship she inspires – for someone who has no accomplishments and is just passably pretty with great hair and body.

• Jen November 14, 2014 at 16:42 #

Tara, do you read this website? Even when the Duchess looks amazing, she is criticized for being boring, repetitive, etc.

• Tara November 14, 2014 at 16:48 #

I feel Catherine( of this website) is truly one of the few people who is objective and fair in her evaluation of Kate- and is not blinded by “princess so perfect”.

• Catherine Kallon November 14, 2014 at 17:07 #

Thank you.

I sometimes read other websites and roll my eyes at the icon tag and the comparison to Lady Di.

For me she’s yet to reach either accolade

• Jen C November 14, 2014 at 18:01 #

I normally agree with Catherine’s assessment of red carpet wear, but I absolutely think that the website goes the exact opposite of what many other websites do to the Duchess. Yes, many talk about the “perfect princess” and bestow nothing but accolades, RCFA goes the other way. Nothing is ever good these days for the Duchess. I find the incredibly irksome. I do not believe she ever ask to be a fashion icon, but people look to her to be one. She dresses what she wants to wear within incredibly strict confines. You look at other royals and what they wear, yet to compare the royalty of Denmark to England is short sighted. No one outside of the fashion blogs cares what the royalty of Denmark wears. Yet the entire world looks at every move of the English royalty. Look at what that microscope did to Lady Di.
                The thing is, if you find her fashion so tiresome and boring, why do you keep posting about her? You say she isn’t fashionable, so why put her on a fashion blog?
                It’s that microscope

• Catherine Kallon November 14, 2014 at 18:37 #

Your comment is inaccurate as I said I liked the Temperley, Jenny Packham and McQueen looks which were her last three prior to this

Yes you are right in saying that I don’t find her to be very stylish all the time and no I don’t subscribe to the mass hysteria sounding her just because she is a princess, but that is the same for a lot of celebrities. I feature like Zosia Mamet who’s style I don’t particularly favour, yet I want to be there when she reachs her eureka moment. Much like the princess.

With regards to the Princess of Denmark, of course a comparison can be made as no doubt she has the same restrictions yet she manages to look stylish.

• amy November 14, 2014 at 19:48 #

preach! even renowned fashion websites, which I expect to give an honest opinion, keep acting like fangirls whenever she steps out. I rolled my eyes when vanity fair put her in their best dressed list. I mean, are you serious?
                Kate looks okay most of the time but that is all. Her fashion is nothing to be excited about. And the royal thing is no excuse cause others royals bring it. She looks fine but she can do much better and she has in the past. just saying

• Heaven November 14, 2014 at 20:42 #

I don’t think Mary has the same restrictions. The British Royal Family is known to be a lot more conservative than the Danish Royal Family. And Catherine is a lot more judged than Mary or any other Royal , with respect to them.
                If she recycle too much , she is not Royal enough , if she spends too much , she is wasting Taxpayers money etc.. etc..
                Mary does not have that level of judgement , at least not on an international level.
                Moreover, this particular event is a Royal event which used to be attended by The Queen or by Charles so she needs to be conservative on those occasion because she stepped in for the Royal Couple / Crown Princely Couple.

However, I agree that on a daily basis she could do more but I think we should stop comparing her with other European Royals because I think she does not have the same possibilities. ( Even though that’s not an excuse to dress boringly)

9. Bailey November 14, 2014 at 13:54 #

Its elegant, pretty, and I feel like she’s worn it before, even if she hasn’t.

10. ChristinA November 14, 2014 at 13:17 #

Elegant, beautiful and understated. I love her hair in this low bun too.

11. Ramsay November 14, 2014 at 12:12 #

I usually am quite critical of the Dutchess’ style (though to be honest not lately, I just don’t comment much anymore). I probably used to be much more vocal about how bland I find her style when everyone was hailing her as a fashion icon. Now that everyone (more or less) agrees that hers is not the most interesting, varied or fashion forward style, I don’t pay much attention to her fashion choices. This however I find Ok – though not very novel, I find it extremely good on her body – it is one of those dresses that does wonders on a pregnant woman’s body. I acknowledge this and for once I applaude her choice.

12. Yeliz November 14, 2014 at 11:57 #

Elegant and regal but still a bit of a snoozefest.

• dee November 14, 2014 at 13:50 #

13. Iva November 14, 2014 at 11:46 #

I appreciate the change of the hairstyle.
    And that’s about it.

14. Christine November 14, 2014 at 11:38 #

I’m falling asleep

15. Csilla November 14, 2014 at 11:33 #

I don’t think it’s boring. She looks great!